Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Johnson Stays At Michigan

Posted by calgARI '07 
Johnson Stays At Michigan
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:30AM

He turned down an offer from Carolina to stay at Michigan for another year. Considering he was one of the best defenseman in college hockey as a freshman, hopefully this sends a message to players around college hockey that there is a lot to gain from staying at the college level and developing.

[www.tsn.ca]

Re: Possible Teams That May Sign McKee
Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 02:35AM

Some possible teams that may sign McKee. What do you think?

1. New York Islanders
2. Tampa Bay
4. Colorado
4. Washington
5. Anaheim
6. Nashville

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:44AM

2tkCornell

1. New York Islanders
2. Tampa Bay
4. Colorado
4. Washington
5. Anaheim
6. Nashville

Are these just off the top of your head?

Isn't Dallas on that list too?

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:34AM

none of those teams want mckee

Re: Johnson Stays At Michigan
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:50AM

Despite his offensive stats, Johnson clearly hurt Michigan at times with poorly timed penalties, going out of his way to make big hits that led to odd man rushes, etc. He has the physical talent, but emotionally he's immature. No way he would go right to the NHL, he would hurt the team. The kid loves Michigan so why not stick around Ann Arbor (I went to Michigan to get my MBA, Yost is the second best college hockey atmosphere in my view!!), it's a great opportunity.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:24AM

:-( Michigan sucks! :-( ;-)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:26AM

2tkCornell

1. New York Islanders

On a scale of 1-10, a 14 in craziness.

Oh...wrong thread...

Date: March 29, 2006 10:46AM

atb9
:-( Michigan sucks! :-( ;-)
No, they don't. Look at their record and accomplishments (this season was really the first bad season since '87-'88). Their coach is a great guy. Teams that suck include: Harvard (obviously), Michigan State (lots of talent, haven't done the job in NCAAs for a long time), Harvard (worth repeating), Minnesota (can't stand 'em even though I'm from MN) and BU. Discuss.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:48AM

RatushnyFan
No, they don't. Look at their record and accomplishments (this season was really the first bad season since '87-'88). Their coach is a great guy. Teams that suck include: Harvard (obviously), Michigan State (lots of talent, haven't done the job in NCAAs for a long time), Harvard (worth repeating), Minnesota (can't stand 'em even though I'm from MN) and BU. Discuss.

You forgot Harvard.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:00AM

Whoa, check the smileys. Deep breath now... Understandable how Yost could get under the skin of some of the Faithful. Too much like us, and derivative at that. Doesn't diminish the quality of the atmosphere. Also, a whole different style of hockey, which we might not all appreciate. I.e., if you throw enough speed and creativity into the offensive end, you don't have to play defense too hard, particularly if you have an NHL-bound goalie to back you up. Red likes to let his guys play. A lot of the time it works.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:09AM

Beeeej
RatushnyFan

You forgot Harvard.

Beeeej
Isn't someone going to mention Harvard?

Date: March 29, 2006 11:50AM

ninian '72
Whoa, check the smileys. Deep breath now... Understandable how Yost could get under the skin of some of the Faithful. Too much like us, and derivative at that. Doesn't diminish the quality of the atmosphere. Also, a whole different style of hockey, which we might not all appreciate. I.e., if you throw enough speed and creativity into the offensive end, you don't have to play defense too hard, particularly if you have an NHL-bound goalie to back you up. Red likes to let his guys play. A lot of the time it works.
While this may reflect the defensive play of the Wolverines in '06, it is not an accurate description from circa '93-'05 in my view. Some very good defensive clubs and it wasn't all the goaltender.:-)

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:44PM

ugarte
Beeeej
RatushnyFan

You forgot Harvard.

Beeeej

I was looking for One-and-Done University.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:45PM

RichH

I really can't stop giggling at "Can'tAdvs." :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 04:21PM

I think this is needed maturation and a good thing

On the other side - w/ Bill T. from UNO signing with Coyotes for reportedly somewhere in the 800 - 900K range a year and now Ryan Potulny from Minn. signing pro with the flyers I think we will see several more NCAA folks sign soon ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 05:51PM by profudge.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 05:12PM

profudge

On the other side - w/ Bill T. from UNO signing with Coyotes for reportedly somewhere in the 800 - 900K range a year and now Ryan Potulny from Minn. signing pro with the flyers I htink we willsee several more NCAA folks sign soon ...

I know it's on USCHO, but nothing about Potulny signing on either the Flyers or Phantoms webpage, or on TSN.CA.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:22PM

2tkCornell

1. New York Islanders
The Islanders have such an overly inflated opinion of DiPietro (who, by the way, is a great big sieve) that there wouldn't seem to be any desire on their point to sign a new goalie.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:28PM

RichH
ugarte
Beeeej
RatushnyFan

You forgot Harvard.

Beeeej

Aren't they coached by Ted One-and-Done-ato?

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:02AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
profudge

On the other side - w/ Bill T. from UNO signing with Coyotes for reportedly somewhere in the 800 - 900K range a year and now Ryan Potulny from Minn. signing pro with the flyers I htink we willsee several more NCAA folks sign soon ...

I know it's on USCHO, but nothing about Potulny signing on either the Flyers or Phantoms webpage, or on TSN.CA.
It's on NHL.com now. 2-year entry deal.

I think a lot of teams would be interested in McKee next season. Because he was undrafted though, it's hard to figure what his value is. As point of reference, LeNeveu, a 2nd round draft pick, is making $684k this season. Jimmy Howard, a 2nd round pick, $640k. Ryan Miller, a 5th round pick, is making $501k. Doug Murray, an 8th round pick, is making the league minimum of $450k. While some teams like Islanders rush their goalies into the NHL; most take a 3-4 year approach. 3-4 years out, unless a team has a stud young goalie, most, if they saw potential, would be willing to take a chance on a player like McKee.... I would agree that McKee needs a few years in the AHL/ECHL to mature and learn the pro game. I think many on this board would think that Lenny was a better goalie than McKee, and he's kicked around the AHL for 3 seasons before being given a chance for the rest of this season with PHX.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.pwayne01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 06:44AM

The contracts are also way more complicated than just the NHL salary numbers...for most players the entry level NHL contract is a two way contract which pays one salary at the NHL level and another salary at the minor league level (less common would be a one way contract which still pays the player the NHL $$s while in the minors or a three way contract which would split out salary levels for the AHL and ECHL). A player who is on an NHL mininum of 450K would prob draw 60K in the AHL...of course the signing bonus is gaurenteed regardless of where the player plays.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of structure on the contracts the team uses to draw players out of college early. But for somebody like McKee, I think that leaving early to draw whatever signing bonus (which would still be around the next year most likely) plus a salary of 60K, couldn't be that much of a draw. Unless a team is giving him a one way deal or telling him that he could spend some serious time in the NHL next -- I just don't see the financial reason for him to bolt.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:02AM

Potulny announcement now on the Flyers webpage. He's not listed on the roster for either team yet.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 06:26PM

[sports.yahoo.com]
yep here too
maybe we should cahnge this thread title to 2006 defections

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 06:58PM

He'll be joining the Phantoms at this weekend.

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:47PM

Potulny can't play for the Phantoms, due to something in his contract. In speaking to him today, the idea is that he sticks around for insurance if Nedved and/or Gagne can't go - and would probably get a look. But he won't be playing yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login