Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Wisconsin postgame thread (post-season thread?) NCAA quarterfinals 2006

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell-Wisconsin postgame thread (post-season thread?) NCAA quarterfinals 2006
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:55PM

The season ended the way we probably expected: Cornell's inability to put the puck in the net did us in.

But in the meantime, what an incredible display of defense. And for David McKee, his best game this year, maybe his best game ever.

This overtime-loss-in-the-Midwest-Regional-to-a-Local-Team schtick is getting kind of old after two years.

Cornell deserved better. Wisconsin was the better team.

Have a beer. Sleep it off. Come Monday, we can wonder what the 2006-2007 team looks like. We're losing a couple good seniors. We could lose a bunch of non-seniors to the pros - but how many? And what will the freshman class look like?

It's a small consolation tonight, but the lacrosse team is ready to pick up the baton.

LGR.

[edit correcting to make it quarters, not semis]

[edit 2]Credit to the Badger fans. They're pretty damn good, too. They seemed to get into the "Safety School" chant when they pointed in Cornell's direction.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 10:43PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell-Wisconsin postgame thread (post-season thread?) NCAA semifinal 2006
Posted by: Chloe (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:58PM

Both teams did a wonderful job, but what was up with Earl?! Cramps? What a game...

Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:58PM

billhoward

This overtime-loss-in-the-Midwest-Regional-to-a-Local-Team schtick is getting kind of old after two years.

So True.

Hail to McKee. That was an incredible display.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:00PM

Really can't be too disappointed. Given our inconsitency this season, I am extremely proud of our performance in Green Bay. We came from behind to beat a Western powerhouse and then took the #1 team in the nation to three overtimes. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Next year should be exciting. A great freshman class, and another year of experience for the likes of Mugford, Barlow, Seminoff, etc. I would love to have Sasha and McKee back, but I doubt we'll have both of them.

Shouldn't there be some sort of off-season PWR ratings to keep us amused?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:02PM

I'm really upset about that matching minors call, Mugford wasn't really fighting back from what I saw. The refs wanted to make a point without hurting either team. We were slowly gaining momentum throughout the last two OT's, and I really felt like we were making progress. Had the game gone much longer, I liked our chances.

Both teams played incredibly. McKee and Elliot were both amazing.

Posted by: redliner (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:02PM

hey, is there a thread that talks about the incoming class? Thanks!

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:03PM

ebilmes
Really can't be too disappointed. ... Shouldn't there be some sort of off-season PWR ratings to keep us amused?

You won't believe the crap we can find to talk about off-season to keep us amused? And you're an entering freshman? Be careful - it's one thing to spend hours online if all you're doing is wasting company time ... another thing if you've got to keep grades up.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.nyroc.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:06PM

Chloe
Both teams did a wonderful job, but what was up with Earl?! Cramps? What a game...

That was nuts, I couldn't believe he could even skate after crawling back the bench after every shift.

Posted by: Italy571 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:10PM

In my un-expert opinion, I think we'll see McKee back, considering that he played below his full potential this season and he knows it.

Perphaps Wisconsin deserved the win overall tonight. It's frustrating though becuase we were becoming more dominant as the game wore on, and you have to give us and McKee credit for getting to that point. Given just the OT periods, I say we outplayed them (plus, we hit the post first! :-P ).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

great game. I am still in schock about the ending, but great game. Cornell never really carried the play, but we had our chances. We may not have won, but by beating CC and nearly beating Wisco, hopefully we earned some respect from our western friends.

Props to McKee, what an amazing display of goaltending. He made several saves that just left me going "how the hell???"

great game, this team deffinatly exceeded my expectations in the NCAAs.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Amazing game. Period.

McKee almost looked even better than last year, other than a few really bad rebounds but we were able to clear them. I'm "happy" with the way the season ended. The team played two DAMN good games. I don't think anyone can say we were completely outplayed in this game. Momentum swung back and forth a lot. My main dissapointment was the unimaginative slap shot that Abbot would take ever time he got in the zone. I was hoping that just once he would skate it in but it didn't happen.

The season was one hell of a ride. Alternatively exhilarating and nausiating, but an amazing finish

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:19PM

billhoward

Runner-up two years in a row in the Minnesota and Wisconsin Invitationals isn't too bad. So close to breaking through...B-]

It's Cornell against the world. Anyone, anytime, anywhere...drop the puck.

How many days to the Red-White game?

LGR...

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:21PM

No doubt about it, we can finally say Cornell ran into a hot goalie tonight. Only this time ours was equal to the challenge - it was an absolutely incredible preformance by McKee.

The 4 on 4 gave Wisco just enough space to find the slot open, it's a shame that Mugford got dragged into that call - but it was ludacris to expect Shegos to call anything that resulted in a PP at that point in time.

Nothing to be ashamed of in this game, we took the best team in the country to the very edge.

Now I move on to being one of the alumni faithful, hopefully that results in a trip to the Frozen Four just like my first year as a student.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:23PM

Well, yes. Try this link [elf.elynah.com]. But then, why would you want a thread, when there's an entire web site at [bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com] ?

Date: March 26, 2006 10:26PM

Italy571
In my un-expert opinion, I think we'll see McKee back, considering that he played below his full potential this season and he knows it.

Perphaps Wisconsin deserved the win overall tonight. It's frustrating though becuase we were becoming more dominant as the game wore on, and you have to give us and McKee credit for getting to that point. Given just the OT periods, I say we outplayed them (plus, we hit the post first! :-P ).

Two excellent thoughts. Half of us want to say, "Let it rest awhile before we plot out who stays and goes ... and half are already plotting the 2006-07 team. If there's a reason for David to stay (other than that he has a season of eligiblity left and he hasn't yet graduated - how quaint), it's that this wasn't the kind of year that makes a pro team want to shower you with riches. This game, however, was a Hobey Baker season wrapped up into sixty -- er, 113 -- minutes.

Posted by: WillR (209.2.89.---)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:27PM

Although this results sucks, it was one hell of a game and the team finished the season strong. In some ways it seemed like a stronger playoff run than last year even if the result was the same.

I am sad that this was the last season to watch as a student which can only mean i am doomed to spending even more time on eLynah in additione to taking time to travel to the odd game here and there. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

One more thing...kudos to the people sho dragged their asses out to wisconsin.

I am looking forward to next year. Is there a countdown going on yet?

-WillR

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.8.154.adsl.snet.net)

Hey Bill, this games wasn't the NCAA Semifinal.

Great game. Clinic on defense by both teams. Sensational poke checks and shot blocking to assist some amazing saves from both sides. No shame in losing this game at all.

Posted by: redliner (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

THNAKS!! :-)

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:28PM

Wow, incredible game. When they scored I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. I really thought we were going in the right direction and would net one soon. Oh well. Tough way for me to go out as a senior, and I can't imagine how the actual senior players must feel. To '06-'07.

Brian Crespi '06

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:29PM

Aging alumni who remember 1973: Which hurt worse, this game where we played our hearts out as the underdog and it would have been a challenge, but a welcome challenge, to play in the title round in two weeks ... or the 1973 NCAA semis where Cornell was up 5-2 on Bucky and managed to allow the game to be tied in the final minute ... with a loss about ten minutes into OT?

I'm voting for the previous generation OT game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:31PM

billhoward
Aging alumni who remember 1973: Which hurt worse, this game where we played our hearts out as the underdog and it would have been a challenge, but a welcome challenge, to play in the title round in two weeks ... or the 1973 NCAA semis where Cornell was up 5-2 on Bucky and managed to allow the game to be tied in the final minute ... with a loss about ten minutes into OT?

73 hands down. We should have won and been champs, this year I'd have been overjoyed to get there.

Re: Cornell-Wisconsin postgame thread (post-season thread?) NCAA quarterfinals 2006
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:32PM

Think Lax

Re: Cornell-Wisconsin postgame thread (post-season thread?) NCAA quarterfinals 2006
Date: March 26, 2006 10:40PM

Jim Hyla
Think Lax

Me too.

Anyone else have this Walter Mitty kind of dream that there'd be a hockey-lax double for Cornell this year?

Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:41PM

That penalty called on Mugford and the Wisonsin player really screwed us over, because it resulted in a 4 on 4 where the faster more skilled team is going to have the advantage. That obviously being Wisconsin. The refs were trying to make a statement not find a goal. In the end it was a great game and Mckee stood on his head.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 10:46PM by bigred06.

Date: March 26, 2006 10:41PM

Plus we made it one round further than the Cantabs. And in defeat, we brought honor to the Ivy League and ECAC. The Harvard men peaked too soon.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:44PM

Amazing game. Little else to say.

Kudos to McKee, Elliot, and the entire squads for nearly 2 great hockey games.

It's just tough once again coming away as the team that gains so much respect from opponents and opposing fans for losing with such gusto. :`(

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:47PM

I've been wondering this for awhile...why is Harvard known as the "Cantabs"? (I like "Can'tadvs" better... :-) ) But I'm wondering where "Cantabs" comes from?

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:48PM

great game, what defensive efforts by both squads. the team should not hang their heads after that loss. interesting how skille kinda flubbed the shot and it went upper 90. thanks for another exciting season, big red. good luck to winsconsin down the stretch

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.lambrv01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:51PM

Cantab comes from Cantabrigian, which means 'from Cambridge.'

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:55PM

Amazing, amazing game. As was said already, this team has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. They came out and played two awesome games when it counted most. Incredible effort, incredible game, against a team that has earned a ton of respect from me - almost as much as our team did this weekend.

I feel much the same as I did after '02, when we came out and played a great, close game against a team that we weren't supposed to be able to hang with. Except this was even so much more impressive than that. This was a team that had been up and down and up and down all season, never quite coming together. But they did it the best when it matters the most. Schafer's Cornell teams can play with the best in the nation, and they can beat the best in the nation. And one of these years they'll do it 4 times straight.

Next, stop whining. Stop making excuses. Seriously, just stop it. That makes it sound as if we have something to make excuses for. We don't, never did. They have absolutely nothing to regret and neither should we - so don't make excuses for nothing. Wisconsin is an awesome team - probably the only team I've ever see stay with a Schafer squad through multiple overtimes. We were skating circles around Minn before that bad play that lead to their goal. Tonight, both teams played incredible games, toughed it out, and deserved the utmost of respect. Earl's will to keep playing is an awesome feat, and every single person on that ice tonight - Cornell and Wisconsin - deserve nothing but respect.

If they could send, eh, let's say Maine, home, and put both teams in the Frozen Four, based on the way they played this weekend, they absolutely deserve it.

We get blamed a lot for whining, and most of the time I don't think its true, but now it is (at least for a few on here). I have as issue with schools hosting games at their home rinks on campus, but I have absolutely no issue with this. In 2003, if the regional had been in Albany, and the FF in Buffalo, would it have been unfair? Would it have been the "Cornell invitational?" No way, total bullshit. Wisconsin got lucky having a great year at the time that there was a regional and the Frozen Four in their state. So what, big whoop, good for them. What are they supposed to do, refuse to have regionals in states with good teams? Frozen Fours? ridiculous.

Additionally, if that team that was there this weekend had showed up for the RPI games, or the Union game at Lynah, or the Princeton away game, or the Yale home game we tied, or the Dartmouth or Harvard games we lost, or the ECAC final... we wouldn't have been in Wisconsin. They didn't have a season that deserved any special treatment. No one to blame but themselves. But that doesn't matter either, because after this weekend, all is forgotten and forgiven.

The location did not lose that game tonight. Hell, no one and nothing lost that game tonight. Wisconsin just won it. We were great, we played well over our heads against awesome competition. They were one shot better. And I don't hold it against them.

I have nothing but respect for our guys tonight, and for Wisco. And I'm going to be rooting for Wisconsin the rest of the way. I'd love to see a team that hasn't won a title in a long time take in their home state. That would be awesome. And those guys deserve it 100x over.

And as Jim said. Think lax. Think 06-07. In Schafer we trust.

Let's Go Red!!!!!!!!!

Edit: typo
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 11:31PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:13PM

DeltaOne81
We get blamed a lot for whining, and most of the time I don't think its true, but now it is (at least for a few on here). I have as issue with schools hosting games at their home rinks on campus, but I have absolutely no issue with this. In 2003, if the regional had been in Albany, and the FF in Buffalo, would it have been unfair? Would it have been the "Cornell invitational?" No way, total bullshit. Wisconsin got lucky having a great year at the time that there was a regional and the Frozen Four in their state. So what, big whoop, good for them. What are they supposed to do, refuse to have regionals in states with good teams? Frozen Fours? ridiculous.
Wisconsin wasn't even the host team for that regional, Michigan Tech was. It was a tough draw, but not an unfair one.

Date: March 26, 2006 11:17PM

jmh30
DeltaOne81
Wisconsin wasn't even the host team for that regional, Michigan Tech was. It was a tough draw, but not an unfair one.

Exactly (I knew that but forgot to make that point).

Tough, absolutely, but we were 8 in the nation. We were *supposed* to get the tough draw.

I couldn't be prouder of our guys tonight. Or more impressed with Wisconsin. I can't break down a game the way some of you can, but that's all I know.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.clients.athenet.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:22PM

billhoward
The season ended the way we probably expected: Cornell's inability to put the puck in the net did us in.
Have a beer. Sleep it off. Come Monday, we can wonder what the 2006-2007 team looks like. We're losing a couple good seniors. We could lose a bunch of non-seniors to the pros - but how many? And what will the freshman class look like?

In reverse order:

1) I'd love to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but I have to drive home now. Drinking and driving is frowned upon in the seven states I'm driving through in the next eighteen hours. Don't make me think about next season when I want to take pride in this weekend.

2) Wisconsin doesn't suck nearly as much as Minnesota. Good food, nice fans, and a lot of compliments on our team and spirit. I'm glad I got a chance to meet them - so stop bashing, please. As Delta said, we've got nothing to be ashamed of, and neither do they. All there acknowledged it was a great game between two equally matched teams and left it at that.

3) It's not that we couldn't put the puck in the net. It's that NO ONE could put the puck past Elliott this weekend, and no one was going to anytime soon. I think we did a fantastic job getting chances tonight, but just as we shut down their chances, they shut down ours.

Let's Go Red! (We can let Wisconsin use the cheer again now that we're leaving : )

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:24PM

Liz '05
[Don't make me think about next season when I want to take pride in this weekend.

Post of the night; I couldn't have said it any better myself...thanks for traveling out there and have a safe drive home.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:31PM

Great game

This game was a little hard to take since it went 3ots. Hopefully none of the non-seniors leave, but I have a feeling we can see Pok, McKee, and OB leaving. The little I read it seems that our incoming freshmen are pretty good. Does anyone know who we are playing next year? Also where are we going to play games while Lynah gets renovated?

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:42PM

billhoward

I agree with Jim. 1973. I was there and to see what seemed to be a huge lead get whittled away produced an awful, gnawing feeling in the stomach. In this year's game the team stepped up, way up, but didn't quite make it. It's disappointing, but they didn't choke.

Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:48PM

DeltaOne81
Amazing, amazing game. As was said already, this team has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. They came out and played two awesome games when it counted most. Incredible effort, incredible game, against a team that has earned a ton of respect from me - almost as much as our team did this weekend.

I feel much the same as I did after '02, when we came out and played a great, close game against a team that we weren't supposed to be able to hang with. Except this was even so much more impressive than that. This was a team that had been up and down and up and down all season, never quite coming together. But they did it the best when it matters the most. Schafer's Cornell teams can play with the best in the nation, and they can beat the best in the nation. And one of these years they'll do it 4 times straight.

Next, stop whining. Stop making excuses. Seriously, just stop it. That makes it sound as if we have something to make excuses for. We don't, never did. They have absolutely nothing to regret and neither should we - so don't make excuses for nothing. Wisconsin is an awesome team - probably the only team I've ever see stay with a Schafer squad through multiple overtimes. We were skating circles around Minn before that bad play that lead to their goal. Tonight, both teams played incredible games, toughed it out, and deserved the utmost of respect. Earl's will to keep playing is an awesome feat, and every single person on that ice tonight - Cornell and Wisconsin - deserve nothing but respect.

If they could send, eh, let's say Maine, home, and put both teams in the Frozen Four, based on the way they played this weekend, they absolutely deserve it.

Additionally, if that team that was there this weekend had showed up for the RPI games, or the Union game at Lynah, or the Princeton away game, or the Yale home game we tied, or the Dartmouth or Harvard games we lost, or the ECAC final... we wouldn't have been in Wisconsin. They didn't have a season that deserved any special treatment. No one to blame but themselves. But that doesn't matter either, because after this weekend, all is forgotten and forgiven.

The location did not lose that game tonight. Hell, no one and nothing lost that game tonight. Wisconsin just won it. We were great, we played well over our heads against awesome competition. They were one shot better. And I don't hold it against them.

I have nothing but respect for our guys tonight, and for Wisco. And I'm going to be rooting for Wisconsin the rest of the way. I'd love to see a team that hasn't won a title in a long time take in their home state. That would be awesome. And those guys deserve it 100x over.

And as Jim said. Think lax. Think 06-07. In Schafer we trust.

Let's Go Red!!!!!!!!!

Edit: typo

That was such a great post it deserves to be quoted and displayed again in its entirity. I'm disappointed we lost, but I feel nothing but pride in our team and (unlike last year and 2003) best wishes for our opponent to go all the way.

Date: March 26, 2006 11:54PM

Thanks Steve.

Btw, picture of the night from the USCHO forums:

Posted by: abmarks (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:54PM

bigred06
That penalty called on Mugford and the Wisonsin player really screwed us over, because it resulted in a 4 on 4 where the faster more skilled team is going to have the advantage. That obviously being Wisconsin. The refs were trying to make a statement not find a goal. In the end it was a great game and Mckee stood on his head.

There was enough extra-curricular activity starting to go on that sooner or later they had to make a call like that. And watching it and hearing the call, I didn't question it at all at that moment. Those refs called a great game.

4x4 isn't what did us in. 4 skaters chasing the puck behind the net at the same time let a player come skating from way behind the play go completely uncovered - the D couldn't get to the slot in time. Then the guy takes an almost unmolested shot. Not to mention a blind (or near-blind?) pass that landed right on the guys stick, who then managed to swipe it into the upper corner.

Not that it matters but I wonder if it deflected off our D-man's stick. I couldn't tell after a dozen replays on the Tivo.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:01AM

TCHL8842
Great game

This game was a little hard to take since it went 3ots. Hopefully none of the non-seniors leave, but I have a feeling we can see Pok, McKee, and OB leaving. The little I read it seems that our incoming freshmen are pretty good. Does anyone know who we are playing next year? Also where are we going to play games while Lynah gets renovated?
There was a thread a while back on the scheudle. [elf.elynah.com] I'm not sure whether there is more up-to-date information.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:09AM

I will add my agreement to that. I thought that was the best ref'd game I had seen all year with Cornell. Definitely no qualms with the referee crew.

Wow. That's all I can say about that game. I could not be more proud and still disappointed. I am happy with the way everything went, and must say that our players gave it their all. It was well fought by Wisconsin and unfortunately for us, the better team won. However, I think we played very well and both teams were closely matched in ability and skill. They were just a little bit more polished and well-rounded. Props to Wisconsin and hats off to our seniors. Thank you!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 12:10AM by canuck89.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:16AM

just made SC

Date: March 27, 2006 12:16AM

DeltaOne81

People process losses in different ways. Saying one's tired of Cornell being sent away from home is not necessarily saying it's unfair. Saying Wisconsin had an advantage playing in Green Bay is true -- it doesn't mean it was unfair, nor does it mean that was the reason they won. They earned their number one seed and they earned their victory tonight. They've had a great season thus far and they played a great game tonight.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:28AM

Put me in the '73 camp as well. Thought we had that one locked up...both in regulation and on the breakaway in OT.

Tonight, the guys played their hearts out and should be proud of the way they went out. There can be no shame when you leave everything you have on the ice and come that close to the FF.

Way to go, Red, and thank you, seniors!

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:23AM

Here's what I wrote on USCHO:

IMO, the two best teams in the country met on the ice tonight, and it's too bad it wasn't the championship game: Cornell hasn't been very consistent this season, but when they're on, they can skate with anyone.

Congratulations to the Badgers. That was a great game, despite the depressing outcome from my perspective. Given your play tonight, you guys deserve to go on and win it all. You will certainly have my support in the frozen four.

Cheers,
Kyle

7 months. Ugg. cry

Kyle

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:46AM

What Fred said. Post of the year, seriously this time.

The only new things I can add that haven't already been said:

- I never, ever would've guessed that this team would've given me that feeling I got again from the 3rd period on. You know, that heart-in-the-throat feeling. That feeling we had in Providence in 2003 and in Minnesota in 2005. Never thought I'd have that. Not this team. Not this year. With all the ups and downs this year, we got back to a level where we had a legitimate chance to make a run at the big one. We were back to where we worked so hard to get last season, and took it further vs. a better team and goaltender. To the team and coaches: Thank you so very, very much.

- I've been hoping and dreaming for a chance to play Wisconsin for the past couple of years. They're just different than other western teams. They play defense. They're gritty. They're tough. They're fun to watch. That said, I feel with the effort we put out tonight, we would've beaten anyone else. Wisconsin turned out to be our worst possible opponent: ourselves. It was simply the greatest Red/White game ever played.

- If it's possible, this may very well be my favorite loss I've experienced. Certainly the greatest goaltender duel that immediately comes to mind. Elliott's save on Bitz in the 2nd was sick, and he just got better from there. McKee's rapid-fire save succession at the end of the 1st OT (I think?) was simply superlative. For 1 weekend, we had vintage 2005 McKee out there, and he saved our bacon. Both teams had to work so hard to generate chances...such strong positional defense and remarkable poke-checking. The ebb and flow was wonderful. Eaves flipped the "WCHA" switch near the end of the 3rd, but we survived. We strongarmed some wonderful chances in the OTs. It was a game where a 3-3 situation seemed like an odd-man rush. I hope coaches show kids a tape of that game for defensive clinics.

- The winning goal was a great play. No big defensive letdown like I was worried about, just a surprisingly strong and accurate backhand pass from the boards. In the 3rd OT. Hats off to that.

- I've only missed one Frozen Four since 1999. At every one I've been to, I've encountered Badger fans. That is absolutely the fanbase I want to associate with. We are so very similar. They are Cornell West. We are Wisconsin East. We both fancy ourselves as "Goaltender U." They love hockey and they know how to have fun...and you can almost always find one to have a beer with. They may be a little bit Big-10, but we're a little bit Ivy League. I always find myself cheering for East over West. Not this year. I will be pulling for Bucky in Milwaukee. Let's Go Red.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to everyone associated with Cornell Hockey. I'm so proud to be onboard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 01:48AM by RichH.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 02:10AM

The best hockey game I have ever seen. The best goaltending performance I have ever seen. The best DUEL I have ever seen. Every single player, on both teams, played with tremendous heart. What more can be said about Wisconsin's Robbie Earl. Just Unbelievable!!!

Although there is a deep pit in my stomach due to our loss, I am so proud of our players. They left it all on the ice and they should not be disappointed with their performance. This is a game that everyone who watched will be talking about for years to come.

I understand that Elliot had 2 shutouts this weekend, but I thought that since Elliot won the MVP of the Regional, they should've put McKee on the All-Regional Team (or maybe both of them).

Words cannot describe the performance of David McKee. I think that most people - media, fans, myself - questioned McKee during the course of the season, but Coach Schafer was right, he is a great goalie and one of the best big game goalies I have seen in recent years.

I hope that he doesn't turn pro next year, but bringing two goalies in, it seems likely. Our team will be young next year, but we will have plently of NCAA experience with the Sophomore and especially Junior and Senior classes. It will be tough to replace any of the players leaving. But here is what I see:

(1) 3 small, gritty players leaving (Abbott, Abbott, Pegoraro) replaced by three small offense minded players (Milo, Romano, Gallagher). Hopefully in the years to come, Schafer can mold them into two way forwards just like the 3 seniors leaving.

(2) 1 offensive powerhouse leaving (Moulson) replaced by powerforward Colin Greening. It seems like Greening plays a similar style to Bitz/Hynes/Sawada.

(3) 1 defensive defenseman leaving (Gleed) replaced by Brendon Nash.

(4) 1 backup Goalie leaving (Chabot) replaced by Ben Scrivens.

Here are possible early pro signees:

(5) 1 ALLSTAR goalie leaving (McKee) replaced by Troy Davenport.

(6) 1 of the 2 Towering Defenseman leaving (O'Byrne/Pokulok) replaced by Justin Krueger

That leaves us with one extra incoming forward in Joe Scali. So either way, unless a forward leaves early to sign a pro contract, one current member of the forward contingent may find themselves fighting for a roster spot.

Here is my opening lineup:

Left-Center-Right
Scali-Bitz-Greening
Barlow-Scott-Romano
McCutcheon-Gallagher-Carefoot
Mugford-Kennedy-Sawada

LD-RD
Krantz-O'Byrne
Glover-Nash
Seminoff-Krueger

Goalies
Starter: Troy Davenport
Backup1: Ben Scrivens
Backup2: Dan DiLeo

- We are losing some great penalty killers (Gleed, Abbotts, Pegs) and I see Kennedy and Scali filling those roles.
- I think that Schafer will definitely work on the powerplay strategy this offseason and with skilled offensive players coming in, hopefully it will be much better.

PLAYING THE BEST GAME OF THE SEASON TONIGHT ... I AM SO F***'IN PROUD OF CORNELL HOCKEY - THIS IS WHY I AM A CORNELL FAN.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 02:15AM

RichH
What Fred said. Post of the year, seriously this time.

The only new things I can add that haven't already been said:

- I never, ever would've guessed that this team would've given me that feeling I got again from the 3rd period on. You know, that heart-in-the-throat feeling. That feeling we had in Providence in 2003 and in Minnesota in 2005. Never thought I'd have that. Not this team. Not this year. With all the ups and downs this year, we got back to a level where we had a legitimate chance to make a run at the big one. We were back to where we worked so hard to get last season, and took it further vs. a better team and goaltender. To the team and coaches: Thank you so very, very much.

- I've been hoping and dreaming for a chance to play Wisconsin for the past couple of years. They're just different than other western teams. They play defense. They're gritty. They're tough. They're fun to watch. That said, I feel with the effort we put out tonight, we would've beaten anyone else. Wisconsin turned out to be our worst possible opponent: ourselves. It was simply the greatest Red/White game ever played.

- If it's possible, this may very well be my favorite loss I've experienced. Certainly the greatest goaltender duel that immediately comes to mind. Elliott's save on Bitz in the 2nd was sick, and he just got better from there. McKee's rapid-fire save succession at the end of the 1st OT (I think?) was simply superlative. For 1 weekend, we had vintage 2005 McKee out there, and he saved our bacon. Both teams had to work so hard to generate chances...such strong positional defense and remarkable poke-checking. The ebb and flow was wonderful. Eaves flipped the "WCHA" switch near the end of the 3rd, but we survived. We strongarmed some wonderful chances in the OTs. It was a game where a 3-3 situation seemed like an odd-man rush. I hope coaches show kids a tape of that game for defensive clinics.

- The winning goal was a great play. No big defensive letdown like I was worried about, just a surprisingly strong and accurate backhand pass from the boards. In the 3rd OT. Hats off to that.

- I've only missed one Frozen Four since 1999. At every one I've been to, I've encountered Badger fans. That is absolutely the fanbase I want to associate with. We are so very similar. They are Cornell West. We are Wisconsin East. We both fancy ourselves as "Goaltender U." They love hockey and they know how to have fun...and you can almost always find one to have a beer with. They may be a little bit Big-10, but we're a little bit Ivy League. I always find myself cheering for East over West. Not this year. I will be pulling for Bucky in Milwaukee. Let's Go Red.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to everyone associated with Cornell Hockey. I'm so proud to be onboard.

Rich ... great post and comments ... you echoed the sentiments of Cornell Fans throughout the world. Your comments about Wisconsin fans were classy and 100% true. This game embodied everything that is good about college sports.

Posted by: Omie (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 27, 2006 02:26AM

Well like everyone here I am so incredibly proud and happy about what we played, I am truly amazed to where we got and how close we came to the Frozen Four. Mckee once again showed why he is the best goalie out there. It was a tough loss to take in but I did not have a sick feeling in my stomach as when we lost to Minnesota last year, I think this was due to the fact that Cornell was simply espectacular tonight BUT they were also characterized by missing opportunities all season long (i.e. Senior Night vs. Sucks, lost to RPI which costs us the RS, and then the loss to Sucks for the ECACHL Champ.). This year was full of up and downs and I honestly didn't expect them to make such a run in the NCAA's, but what a way to end your season!
I am hoping Mckee stays next year (although I doubt it) but with 3-4 goalies and all the new smaller but quicker forwards we are bringing in I think next year will be Frozen Four material and hopefully NCAA Champ material. I am honestly thrilled abotu next year. And can't wait to seat on the new Lynah. I think next year's seniors have a lot of guys with character that will be great leaders on/off the ice like O'Byrne and McCutcheon, and you can throw Topher in there too, which is what we lacked the most this year.

Thank you seniors! Thank you Dave! Thanks Schafer! Let's Go Red!!!

Posted by: nuclear614 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 06:50AM

All I can say is, what a game. Great job all around, no regrets at all!

I'm going to grind the rumor mill a bit....I friend of mine in Albany said that he spoke with McKee's parents there, and they are all for him staying another year at Cornell. The impression he had of the tone of the conversation was "he isn't leaving until he gets a degree."

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 08:53AM

2tkCornell
The best hockey game I have ever seen. But here is what I see:

(1) 3 small, gritty players leaving (Abbott, Abbott, Pegoraro) replaced by three small offense minded players (Milo, Romano, Gallagher). Hopefully in the years to come, Schafer can mold them into two way forwards just like the 3 seniors leaving.

(2) 1 offensive powerhouse leaving (Moulson) replaced by powerforward Colin Greening. It seems like Greening plays a similar style to Bitz/Hynes/Sawada.

(6) 1 of the 2 Towering Defenseman leaving (O'Byrne/Pokulok) replaced by Justin Krueger

That leaves us with one extra incoming forward in Joe Scali. So either way, unless a forward leaves early to sign a pro contract, one current member of the forward contingent may find themselves fighting for a roster spot.

Left-Center-Right
Scali-Bitz-Greening
Barlow-Scott-Romano
Mugford-Kennedy-Sawada

LD-RD
Krantz-O'Byrne
Glover-Nash
Seminoff-Krueger

Goalies

- We are losing some great penalty killers (Gleed, Abbotts, Pegs) and I see Kennedy and Scali filling those roles.
- I think that Schafer will definitely work on the powerplay strategy this offseason and with skilled offensive players coming in, hopefully it will be much better.

PLAYING THE BEST GAME OF THE SEASON TONIGHT ... I AM SO F***'IN PROUD OF CORNELL HOCKEY - THIS IS WHY I AM A CORNELL FAN.

Definitely a great game for both teams and for college hockey.

Regarding players, won't Fontas be playing next year? I understand he's also an impact player.

I wonder if Sasha will be called up.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 08:55AM

Ran out of time to read all of the great posts on this thread. Here, though, are the collected thoughts of Ugarte, as they appeared in real time, slightly edited:
[Q]End of 1: First 10 minutes, we were lucky to escape with a tie. Last five minutes, they were. Even when our offense was sloppy our D was punishing and the defenders don't give up on any plays.

Still, I'd like to see a bit more effort trying to hit teammates on the stick. The passing has been, shall we say, errant... Some great play out of McKee.

Biggest upset of the day can't happen in hockey after Connecticut lost to George Mason. GMU in the Final Four is a bigger shocker than HC 4, Goofers 3. [/Q]

[Q]End of 2: Second period saw two very even teams play a punishing game. Wisco is more aggressive, Cornell more opportunistic. Their Dmen much more willing to jump into the play and forecheck; when Cornell loses possession the D quickly skate into the neutral zone and there have been a few loose pucks above the circles that could have been opportunities. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Also, I love McC's playmaking ability but I think he always makes one too many moves. I will keep thinking that until the second he puts it past Elliott at which point I will know that he was right all along.

Wisconsin is getting all of the fancy highlight hits but are showing the wear of having to fight along the boards. Cornell is definitely winning the battle of the boards despite all of the open ice pyrotechnics ESPNU has been showing when the game goes to commercial.

So far, so good. It could be better but I'm very happy with where Cornell is right now. [/Q]

[Q]End of 3: Dave-Mc-Kee! Dave-Mc-Kee! Dave-McKee! We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!!!

Also, both Cornell penalties were ticky-tack. Barlow didn't even skate into the guy, he thrust his pelvis at him and the guy fell down about a foot short of the boards. The call on Topher was worse. The little guy touched a giant's shoulder and the dude dropped like a sack of bricks. If anything was called on that play, it should have been a dive against Wisco. Great no-call on the Earl takedown, though. Easy to blow the whistle when a top scorer goes down when charging at the net, but he was clearly going down on his own.

This game is going to give me a heart attack. Let's Go BIG Red! [/Q]

[Q]End of 4: All Wisconsin for 19 minutes, then Cornell for about 15 seconds. Wisconsin is playing clean and playing well. Cornell is playing clean but very, very sloppy. Thank McKee that we are still alive.

The big difference between Cornell and Wisconsin: Wisconsin faces forward when they pass the puck,

The big similarity: Passes end up on the stick of a Wisconsin player.

I ... can't ... take ... this ... [/Q]

[Q]End of 5: More of the same. My fiancee is going to kill me. NB: She didn't -ed. [/Q]

[Q]End of game: Skille is amazing. Still the best game I've ever seen even though I am really, really depressed. Finally got some chances and Elliott showed why he is a Hobey Baker candidate (and McKee showed last year's Hobeyesque form). The better team won, but the second best team on the ice showed that they deserve to be considered among the best in the country.

Congratulations Badgers. Go win it all.[/Q]

That still sums up my thinking. We had our chances but the better team won. Let's go Lax and I'm looking forward to 06-07.

Date: March 27, 2006 09:15AM

We should send the eBadger forum a collective note saying their team played well and while we abhor the idea of attending a state college (um, other than if attached to Cornell), if it must be so, Wisconsin isn't a bad place. They deserve to win it all.

Second choice for the title would be an eastern team, say the Maine team that lost to the UMD team we beat for the Florida Classic championship.

Awesome fans. Helped out by Green Bay being roughly Ithaca-to-Albany away from campus.

Posted by: MARooney (---.mintz.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 09:32AM

Great game. This Colgate fan was pullin' for the Big Red. Congrats on a tremendous effort and an excellent performance on the national stage - you did the ECACHL proud.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 09:46AM

You guys played a hell of a game. Did the ECAC proud, like I said when we lost to you, all you want from your team is to put you in the position to win the game, and you certainly had your chances.
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:02AM

2tkCornell

Left-Center-Right
Scali-Bitz-Greening
Barlow-Scott-Romano
Mugford-Kennedy-Sawada

LD-RD
Krantz-O'Byrne
Glover-Nash
Seminoff-Krueger

Goalies

This looks pretty good. In terms of who replaces whom, Brendon Nash has turned into a legit offensive defenseman this year, and is almost 6'4", so I'd say that he more readily replaces Pokulok, and Krueger replaces Gleed.

Scrivens has been playing very well in the AJHL playoffs, If McKee does leave I wonder if we'll see Schafer platoon until a clear #1 emerges? I felt like McKee had played himself out of a NHL contract this year, but I wonder whether his performance lasta night played him back into one.

I highly doubt Joe Scali will be on the 1st line. He's got a lot of quickness, but he's a grinder. These are my potential forward lines for next year:

Left-Center-Right
Greening-Bitz-McCutcheon
Barlow-Gallagher-Carefoot
Fontas/Kindret-Romano-Scott
Mugford-Kennedy-Sawada

leaving Kindret, Connors, and Scali as Scratches.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:16AM

“That’s one of the most exciting...games that hockey has seen,” Schafer said. “It’s tough to explain in words how proud I am of our guys. I asked them not to have any regrets and they don’t.”

Amen, Mike.

McKee is a little less happy, saying "“We really wanted to move on and go to the Frozen Four. We’re just pretty bitter.” But I think he'll be better in a couple days.

Do that all season next year, Dave, and you won't have to face a Wisconsin on the way to the FF. (and yes, count me in in the camp that thinks the odds favor him staying, although not a sure thing).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:33AM

DeltaOne81
Do that all season next year, Dave, and you won't have to face a Wisconsin on the way to the FF. (and yes, count me in in the camp that thinks the odds favor him staying, although not a sure thing).

If he does that all season, and we have some extra punch form the frosh and the maturation of the underclassmen, and the D continues to gel (jell?), then that elusive third banner may hang from renovated Lynah's rafters.

Amazing weekend, fully worthy of the Cornell tradition and every bit as impressive as the 03 run. Well done, team.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 11:34AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:51AM

ugarte
End of 5: More of the same. My fiancee is going to kill me. NB: She didn't -ed.
Heh. I was watching with my fiancee, too. As soon as the game ended, my parents called to be sure the wedding was still on, because they figured now she's seen me at my worst...

It's on. :)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:28PM

If you have to lose in 3 OT's, better to have it happen on a great play by the other team than some dumb mistake by one of our guys. Engel's backhand pass from the boards was right on target and Skille made a great shot. It still hurts, a lot, but props to them for finding the seam.

Great job guys. I really thought we were going to do it.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:29PM

I don't see Schafer going with both Gallagher and Romano as regulars down the middle. I think we have seen how much Schafer relies on his 2/3 centers defensively so he'll go with experience and defensive ability there. Fontas will probably play center. You also left out Milo who I think is a sure-thing to play. I would be shocked if Romano played, at least at the beginning of the year.

Greening-Bitz-Scott
Barlow-Gallagher-McCutcheon/Milo
Scali-Kennedy-Carefoot
Mugford-Fontas-Sawada
Kindret-Romano-Connors

O'Byrne-Krantz
Seminoff-Pokulok
Nash-Glover
Davenport-Krueger
Salmela

Well McCutcheon is definitely going to play because I think he'll be wearing a letter. Appears that there will be a logjam on the right side in particular, but it should be noted that Scott has played every forward position. Regardless, I really like the idea of having 16 forward and 9 defensemen (if nobody leaves). I personally do not think anyone will leave.

Date: March 27, 2006 12:33PM

calgARI '07
Greening-Bitz-Scott
Barlow-Gallagher-McCutcheon/Milo
Scali-Kennedy-Carefoot
Mugford-Fontas-Sawada
Kindret-Romano-Connors

O'Byrne-Krantz
Seminoff-Pokulok
Nash-Glover
Davenport-Krueger
Salmela

I kept looking at that thinking, that's a pretty weak fourth line. Then I realized it was a fifth line.

They will be *very* deep everywhere. If McKee returns, it could be an amazing season. Assuming somebody knows how to put the biscuit in the basket.

Re: Cornell-Wisconsin Archive Video?
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:39PM

Anyone know if there is an archive of the video we can access? I taped the game while I was playing hockey myself only to have the tape end in the middle of the 3rd. I must have had it on the wrong setting. (I even put in a brand new tape in case the game went to OT! :-/ ) I went on my computer and could only find the All Access radio feed. That was ok, but it was driving me crazy not being able to see the plays during the late PK when Jason kept saying Save McKee, Save McKee, Save McKee!, SAVE McKEE!!!, over and over. Then, after the 1st OT, the time line kept moving, but the sound died! :-( :-(

Anyway, I would love to be able to watch the game from the middle of the 3rd on. If there is no archive, could someone tape it off of their TiVo or something. If it is against the law to pay you for it I will buy you a few beers next year when I make it to Lynah, the ECAC's, or another game we both happen to get to.

I am really proud of our guys. What a great way to end the season after some of the earlier inconsistencies. LGR!!!

Chris

Posted by: Hayek (65.82.118.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:45PM

Anyone know the link to where the eBadger forum is?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:51PM

Just got home. My voice will arrive from Green Bay sometime later in the week. :-P

My thoughts:

After Albany, I wasn't sure why I was going to GB. I spent the drive up from Chicago Friday night wondering what I'd do Sunday if (when?) we didn't beat CC. Boy was I glad I was wrong. This was one of the greatest weekends of hockey I've experienced. Even though we lost I feel so good about the team now. It's amazing what some good play will do.

After Friday's game, somebody said that that was one of the best games he'd ever seen. And it was a hell of a game. Little did we know what Saturday had in store. Saturday was the second best game I've ever seen - pro or college (but the '79 Providence game is still #1 and always will be),

Wisconsin has an AMAZING forecheck. They took advantage of our lack of skill in clearing the zone. If we're going to be successful next year, we are going to need to improve that area (are you listening Doug? Jared?)

I'll echo that I'm proud of the guys. They played their hearts out, and even at the end dug down and found the strength to keep Elliott hustling. While we didn't keep heat on him consistently, we made Elliott earn the win. Nothing to be ashamed of in this loss. They did the school and the conference proud.

I thought the Wisconsin fans were really classy and good people. Totally unlike the Goofer fans last year. Many of them came over to compliment the team and the faithful (and the band, too). As I was leaving the area, a lot of them shook my hand and said "Good game." You'd never get that in Mariucci. And they've already started stealing some of our cheers. nut

I'm rooting for Bucky next week, too. They're a hell of a team. They deserve a championship.

Let's go Red(s)!!!!

Now it's LAX season. I'll see everyone at Penn this Saturday.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:51PM

Trotsky

I kept looking at that thinking, that's a pretty weak fourth line. Then I realized it was a fifth line.

They will be *very* deep everywhere. If McKee returns, it could be an amazing season. Assuming somebody knows how to put the biscuit in the basket.

I don't think offense will be a problem next year. Defense from the forwards could be early on though.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:56PM

calgARI '07
I... Regardless, I really like the idea of having 16 forward and 9 defensemen (if nobody leaves). I personally do not think anyone will leave.

You seem more optimistic now than earlier about the non-seniors sticking around.

By the way, are you (personally) able to transfer your affections to the lacrosse field for the spring term?

Re: Cornell-Wisconsin Archive Video?
Date: March 27, 2006 01:14PM

cth95
Anyone know if there is an archive of the video we can access?

If there is no archive, could someone tape it off of their TiVo or something.

My TiVo stopped recording before the game ended.

There's some replays tonight and again Thurs morning. I just set up my TiVo (remotely :) ) to record the Thursday morning one since I have TV plans tonight. Its scheduled for 2.5 hours, so it will be fairly edited. But they did give it half an hour more than most replays.

I also have the 2 hour replay of the CC game (due to the late start I missed the ending). Not much action, if any, was cut out. They just cut out the intermissions mostly.

I won't do anything illegal with them though. But I guess you could PM me to discuss how I won't do anything illegal ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 01:20PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:19PM

Did a quick check on the Caps message board regarding prospects. Not that their speculation is any more informed than ours regarding where players will be next year, but there are a number of scenarios with Sasha that are tied to the Caps long-term rebuilding process. Mgmt thinks highly of their young defense prospects, but they appear to be overstocked. The Caps really loaded up on draft picks during the selloff before the strike and now appear to have an overabundance of young talent in the system. The general plan appears to be to improve from a bottom 5 team this year to a bottom 10 team next season and then make a run the year after, which gives them some flexibility now in drafting for the best available player and not for positional needs. They may choose to unload some young D-men to trade up in the draft or to acquire some more experienced talent, though, if a good opportunity shows up. (Kessel's name has surfaced a few times.) Guesses on Sasha are that he stays, moves up to Hershey, moves up after the end of the 06-07 NCAA season, or gets traded. Your pick. A lot also depends on how D-men further up in the system pan out. Decisions in most cases appear to be a year away, so don't expect the logjam to break up soon.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 01:20PM by ninian '72.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:27PM

RichH
...Elliott's save on Bitz in the 2nd was sick, and he just got better from there....

Great summary, it was what I was thinking all night as I was otherwise trying to get to sleep.

The Sun has a photo of this save running today, it's a great photo, and I'll see if I can find the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 01:34PM by Winnabago.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:32PM

ninian '72
Guesses on Sasha are that he stays, moves up to Hershey, moves up after the end of the 06-07 NCAA season, or gets traded. Your pick.
So basically, other than playing in the NHL next year, they've guessed pretty much every possibility? :-P

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:33PM

To expand on my comments from last night's late stupor:

I had to leave Sports Depot early to get to my own hockey team's second playoff game, which we unfortunately lost 2-1 off some bad positioning. (Yes, this is the first time I've ever left a game before it ended. Nothing but my own team would be able to do that.) I didn't know the outcome until I got home and pulled up eLynah. It's not the outcome I wanted to see, but from the way play had been going in the first and second overtimes, UW winning was more likely than not.

I wasn't sorry to have missed the third OT because I simply couldn't take it anymore. Fred can probably testify that I was literally shaking at different points throughout the evening. The pressure was simply incredible... and I wasn't even playing! To have no release from a sudden death tournament elimination, and to have it go on that long... it was simply exhausting. I am drained today. I can't concentrate.

Nonetheless, the 90% of the game that I did see was incredible. Unlike what some posters on USCHO who clearly didn't see the game said, there was no incessant neutral zone trap play going on, but rather an exciting defensive battle played in both ends and with lots of great shots on goal and lots of head-standing by both Elliott and McKee. Boring? Pshaw. Hardly.

I have a meeting in three minutes, so I'll try to keep the remainder brief:

1. Congrats to UW: they beat Cornell at our own game.

2. Congrats to Cornell and to the seniors, especially: this was easily the best game you've played all year. With very few exceptions, the game was so precisely played that it could have gone either way due to an odd bounce or slip. The system works.

3. Nonetheless, a little more offense would have tipped the scales in our favor: there were large sections of the second and third periods in which Cornell completely dominated the flow of the game. Someone who could have gotten us a higher-percentage shot could have ended this game in regulation.

4. I don't know if I can do this next year. I've given so much of myself this year, that I may need all 7 months to recharge the batteries. It's hard to understand, because I'm not actually playing; but for some reason, going through a season like this only to lose the ECAC RS and tournament, and then have the season end three wins away after a 4.5 hour game is extremely draining, even for the fans. The next few days are going to be rough; but hopefully in 7 months we'll regroup and be even better.

I'm a little late now. So, to sum up: LGR!

Kyle

Date: March 27, 2006 01:41PM

On the nose, and don't even rule that out.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:46PM

billhoward
Aging alumni who remember 1973: Which hurt worse
1973, and I was at both. Although perhaps having been through it before, you tolerate it better.

The overwhelming feeling at this one is pride. Proud to be a Cornellian and have this group of student-athletes represent our university. I sure would've prefered pride and exultation - but these guys played their hearts out, and you can't ask for anything more. A guy from Colorado Springs whose daughter goes to Cornell come over and sat with us when we were down 0-2 of Friday, right before Topher's goal. He commented that he decided to root for Cornell (though he goes to the CC home games) as he could see our team just plays like we want it more. That's all you can ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 01:48PM by jkahn.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:48PM

krose
I had to leave Sports Depot early to get to something not nearly as important.

Oh, so you're the one. I thought I felt a drop in The Force. Well everyone, now we know: It's Kyle's fault. Let's all go over and beat him up. ;-)

3. Nonetheless, a little more offense would have tipped the scales in our favor: there were large sections of the second and third periods in which Cornell completely dominated the flow of the game. Someone who could have gotten us a higher-percentage shot could have ended this game in regulation.

There were points you could tell we were pushing to end it. There was that great feed to Moulson on the doorstep. And I think it was Cam who had the shot that actually beat Elliott, hit the bottom of the crossbar and bounced off to the side instead of down and in. The live camera angle made it look like it had snapped in and out of the top corner, but the replay showed it getting just enough crossbar to stay out.

Win or lose....that's just so draining. I think there have been 5 games since 2002 that have significantly shortened my life. I never know how my heart can physically do the things it does during games like that. Also, why does my back tighten up so much when I'm not doing anything with it? The final TV shot of the BC-CU Regional Final from Providence in '03 is me basically collapsing from exhaustion/elation/adrenaline drain.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:51PM

I know everyone is commending Earl for playing throuh his cramps (rightly so), but no one has even mentioned that Mitch more than likely played two periods with a concussion--think about it.

Date: March 27, 2006 03:13PM

Hayek

Be warned: there are some less than flattering comments made regarding Cornell fans. For the most part respect leads to respect. Remember, every board has its nut (lordy, let that not be me...)

[mb28.scout.com]

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 03:22PM

Looks like our fans really got under their skin...

<Monty Burns Voice>
Excellent!
</Monty Burns Voice>

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 03:31PM

You've got to appreciate the hilarious irony of a thread that lambastes the Faithful cheering sections for being wholly "uninformed," and then proceeds to excuse the poor showing by their band as compared to ours by explaining how ours is made up of mostly music majors.

But to schoaff's point, the threads on USCHO and on the Badger page make it clear what a strong showing the Faithful had. Most "complaints" and derisions are merely observations (i.e. "Their fans were so terrible and annoying! They spelled Elliot's name and then said it spelled "sieve"!).

Date: March 27, 2006 03:34PM

The crowning accomplishment of the Badger fans was the "Harvard rejects" cheer. Not that we haven't heard that one anywhere else.

Still, a great game by both teams that shouldn't be overshadowed by a "fan superiority" discussion.

Date: March 27, 2006 03:48PM

ebilmes
The crowning accomplishment of the Badger fans was the "Harvard rejects" cheer. Not that we haven't heard that one anywhere else.

Well, they really have no reason to pay attention to such things, so I'll pat them on the head and give them a cookie for coming up with that.

Now, had someone come up with the ever-so-original "Where's Waldo?" they may have thrown themselves a parade complete with confetti. ;-)

Thanks for that link, since someone over there has put up a video clip of the SportsCenter coverage.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 03:57PM

Yesterday was just a phenomenal hockey game, clearly our best of the season and the most exciting hockey game I've ever seen. We played like the #2 team in the country, and I couldn't have been more proud.

Wisconsin fans were overwhelmingly nice, wishing us luck before the game and some giving condolences afterwards. My only beef during the game was when one of our players (Carefoot?) was down on the ice and the entire rink was booing him. They may have been booing to indicate they didn't want a penalty (which didn't happen), but that was still fairly classless in my book.

If we want to talk about not understanding the cheers of another fan base: on several occasions in the first period, McKee made a nice save, which was followed by a "Sieve" chant by the Wisconsin crowd. Kind of an odd time to call him a sieve, eh?

Their pep band was typical Big-10 style, play every note perfectly of all 8 songs in their folder, but don't play too loud or (gasp) they might get a little out of tune, faculty-run band. This weekend confirmed for me (again) that Cornell has the best pep band in college hockey, and we're damn proud of it. They think we're music majors? That's cute.

Good luck Wisconsin!

Date: March 27, 2006 03:59PM

KP '06
My only beef during the game was when one of our players (Carefoot?) was down on the ice and the entire rink was booing him. They may have been booing to indicate they didn't want a penalty (which didn't happen), but that was still fairly classless in my book.

According to many posts on USCHO, they were booing the ref for stopping the play, with Wisco in possession, not Carefoot. They applauded Carefoot when he got up.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 04:02PM

Trotsky
KP '06
My only beef during the game was when one of our players (Carefoot?) was down on the ice and the entire rink was booing him. They may have been booing to indicate they didn't want a penalty (which didn't happen), but that was still fairly classless in my book.

According to many posts on USCHO, they were booing the ref for stopping the play, with Wisco in possession, not Carefoot. They applauded Carefoot when he got up.

I would say half the rink applauded when he got up, and the other half continued to boo.

Again, my only beef with an otherwise great fan base.

Date: March 27, 2006 04:03PM

Surprised they didn't show any of the post or crossbar shots on SC instead of Topher's shot. It's clear that Cornell didn't need all four guys back around the net to retrieve the puck. But still, an amazing pass to set up the goal.

Date: March 27, 2006 04:13PM

ebilmes
Surprised they didn't show any of the post or crossbar shots on SC instead of Topher's shot. It's clear that Cornell didn't need all four guys back around the net to retrieve the puck. But still, an amazing pass to set up the goal.

We weren't really out of position though, which is what I thought. There was a Cornell guy there (didn't notice who) covering Skille, but it was just a perfect no/little-look, tape-to-tape pass.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 05:14PM

DeltaOne81
We weren't really out of position though, which is what I thought. There was a Cornell guy there (didn't notice who) covering Skille, but it was just a perfect no/little-look, tape-to-tape pass.
I think it was Gleed near Skille. The whole sequence would be near impossible to duplicate. The pass to Skille was a one-timer backhand of a puck coming off the boards precisely on target for a one-timer shot by a player skating hard.

[Edit: INCH picture here shows Gleed next to McKee after the goal. And in no way should anyone knock Jon for this goal happening.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 05:23PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: sockralex (---.travelers.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 05:33PM

RichH
Thanks for that link, since someone over there has put up a video clip of the SportsCenter coverage.

I can't find it. Granted I haven't searched through it very thoroughly. Can you please post the sports center clip link?

Date: March 27, 2006 05:56PM

sockralex
RichH

I can't find it. Granted I haven't searched through it very thoroughly. Can you please post the sports center clip link?

[mywebspace.wisc.edu]

It's also been posted on the USCHO forum. Who knows if this guy has a bandwidth limit. It's about 9.5 Mb.

Posted by: ChipJ (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 06:13PM

Yep. #5 Jon Gleed was the one coming from behind the net that was closest to being able to intercept that pass off the boards. He probably should never have been behind the net. But it was a monster of a game - maybe the best one I've ever watched. I was proud of the whole team. If they had played that way against Harvard they would have ended up in the easier bracket and perhaps on their way to the FF now.

Re: Whose fault was that?
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 06:36PM

Al DeFlorio
DeltaOne81
I think it was Gleed near Skille. The whole sequence would be near impossible to duplicate. The pass to Skille was a one-timer backhand of a puck coming off the boards precisely on target for a one-timer shot by a player skating hard.

[Edit: INCH picture here shows Gleed next to McKee after the goal. And in no way should anyone knock Jon for this goal happening.]

In my opinion, Mckee put a little too much on the puck when he cleared it out to the board. Just as I turned to my roommate to say this, a Wisconsin player got to the puck before our guy did and quickly centered it to Skille. It wasn't Mckee's fault though. We can't point the fingers at him after what he has done for the team. He did the most sensible thing that anyone would have done in that situation which was to clear the puck away from the goal. Well Skille had been terrorizing our defense all night. He deserved that goal.

Re: Gleed's case
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 06:50PM

As for Gleed, he was in the correct position for the 4x4 special team. He was right in front of the net, very focused, and watching the puck (a good thing to do if you're playing hockey). He was not looking where Skille was. Skille did not give him any time to challenge the lucky one-timer.

Gleed did everything he could have done.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 07:07PM

ithacat
Hayek

Be warned: there are some less than flattering comments made regarding Cornell fans. For the most part respect leads to respect. Remember, every board has its nut (lordy, let that not be me...)

[mb28.scout.com]

I kind of agree with them that "red line, idiot" isn't as meaningful if the player intentionally ices the puck - unless they could have easily crossed the line.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 07:41PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Andrew (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 07:38PM

“A loss is a loss,” the junior[McKee] said. “We really wanted to move on and go to the Frozen Four. We’re just pretty bitter.”

The Cornell Store would make a killing selling Wisconsin thankyou notes to the forum. Enjoy hoisting another "Almost Frozen Four" banner in you living room.

As Fred Shero the Flyers Head Coach said during their 1974 Stanley Cup Final run over the Bruins "Win today and we walk together forever."

"A loss is a loss" and it really really hurts.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 07:51PM

nyc94
ithacat
Hayek

[mb28.scout.com]

I kind of agree with them that "red line, idiot" isn't as meaningful if the player intentionally ices the puck - unless they could have easily crossed the line.

How often is an icing a mistake worth calling someone an idiot for? Really. 99% of the time they know they are icing and they are doing it for strategic reasons.

In fact, this was one of the differences in the Wisconsin/Cornell game. Wisconsin was winning faceoffs so with any pressure in their zone they just whipped the puck down the ice to get a fresh set of legs and a second chance in their zone. Cornell tried to carry or pass it out and the result was a huge tip towards Wisconsin in offensive zone possession.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 12:43AM

ninian '72
Did a quick check on the Caps message board regarding prospects. Not that their speculation is any more informed than ours regarding where players will be next year, but there are a number of scenarios with Sasha that are tied to the Caps long-term rebuilding process. Mgmt thinks highly of their young defense prospects, but they appear to be overstocked. The Caps really loaded up on draft picks during the selloff before the strike and now appear to have an overabundance of young talent in the system. The general plan appears to be to improve from a bottom 5 team this year to a bottom 10 team next season and then make a run the year after, which gives them some flexibility now in drafting for the best available player and not for positional needs. They may choose to unload some young D-men to trade up in the draft or to acquire some more experienced talent, though, if a good opportunity shows up. (Kessel's name has surfaced a few times.) Guesses on Sasha are that he stays, moves up to Hershey, moves up after the end of the 06-07 NCAA season, or gets traded. Your pick. A lot also depends on how D-men further up in the system pan out. Decisions in most cases appear to be a year away, so don't expect the logjam to break up soon.
I've said this a few times, but McPhee (the Caps GM) has been quite patient with waiting for eligibility from his junior players, and it's reasonable to assume that would be the case with Pokulok as well.... and in the limited TV viewings I've seen of him, he doesn't even look like he'd crack the Hershey lineup. So unless he wants out (a la Chris Borque), I don't think the Caps will rush him. He'll get an invite to summer prospect camp and they'll send him back to Ithaca w/ some things to work on. Schultz will be in Hershey next season - and I'll be making a point to watch UND's Joe Finley during the frozen four too.

Date: March 28, 2006 11:27AM

And perhaps playing a similarly classic game against Wisconsin there. Sometimes the game that really decides who the eventual champion will be isn't played in the last game of the tournament. Small comfort, but nevertheless...

Date: March 28, 2006 12:04PM

Tub(a)
How often is an icing a mistake worth calling someone an idiot for? Really. 99% of the time they know they are icing and they are doing it for strategic reasons.

Agreed, redline... idiot almost always just makes our fans look stupid. "Blue line... idiot" for offisdes would make far more sense, especially if we limited it to opponent rushes and powerplays.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:33PM

billhoward
We're losing a couple good seniors. We could lose a bunch of non-seniors to the pros - but how many?

I haven't read any other posts in this thread yet, so it's probably already been said, but:

I understood Shane Hynes leaving when he did, because I don't think I honestly believed the 2005-06 Cornell team had a legitimate shot at reaching the Frozen Four. But if it were me on the team this year, after getting as far as we did, I'd be thinking that next year is looking really, really good.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:54PM

jkahn
A guy from Colorado Springs whose daughter goes to Cornell come over and sat with us when we were down 0-2 of Friday, right before Topher's goal. He commented that he decided to root for Cornell (though he goes to the CC home games) as he could see our team just plays like we want it more. That's all you can ask.

Was his name also Jeff? If so I think I met him at one of the Clarkson QF games a few weeks ago. Very nice guy, spoke very highly of Cornell's program.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login