Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Connecticut viewing

Posted by dbilmes 
Connecticut viewing
Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:06PM

We will be in Hartford Saturday night and are hoping to find a place to watch the game on TV. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Re: Connecticut viewing
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:55PM

dbilmes
We will be in Hartford Saturday night and are hoping to find a place to watch the game on TV. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I moved to Hartford in January. There's a sports bar downtown called "Coach's" (I think Jim Calhoun owns it). Not far away is the Brickyard Cafe which I think has a sports bar on one of its levels.

Coach's is more restaurant than bar, so it seems to be family friendly. The Brickyard seems to be more of a party place on the weekends.

I can try to ask to see if either of those places would put it on and post back here. There's no problem finding street parking nearby on weekend afternoons.

As for possible suburban locations, I don't know.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 07:07PM

I have never been to the Brickyard, but I know a girl I dated a few years ago used to go there to party and dance with her friends, so I think your perception is correct.

Date: March 23, 2006 07:13PM

I've been in touch with Coaches, and they only have cable, not Direct TV, so that won't be an option. The manager of Rookie Sports Bar & Grille in Cromwell told me they have Direct TV, but they're not sure if they'll get the game. He's told me that if I call him back Friday night they'll be able to see the weekend schedule and give me a definite answer. So I will call him again on Friday and post what I find out. In the meantime, if anyone else comes up with a site that would be great!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2006 07:44PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:01PM

RichH
dbilmes

I moved to Hartford in January. There's a sports bar downtown called "Coach's" (I think Jim Calhoun owns it). Not far away is the Brickyard Cafe which I think has a sports bar on one of its levels.

Coach's is more restaurant than bar, so it seems to be family friendly. The Brickyard seems to be more of a party place on the weekends.

I can try to ask to see if either of those places would put it on and post back here. There's no problem finding street parking nearby on weekend afternoons.

As for possible suburban locations, I don't know.

I was going to say "my condolences" for having to moved to Hartford, then I realized it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Not much going on here in WL/Lafayette. At least Hartford has Wolfpack, Yale, Q and UCONN hockey all within an hour. I grew up in Wethersfield and couldn't wait to leave.

I hope you have at least discovered the Italian bakeries on Franklin Avenue. Mozzicato's is my personal favorite, especially their Rum Cakes. The other popular bakery is Modern Bakery,

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:13PM

dbilmes
I've been in touch with Coaches, and they only have cable, not Direct TV, so that won't be an option. The manager of Rookie Sports Bar & Grille in Cromwell told me they have Direct TV, but they're not sure if they'll get the game. He's told me that if I call him back Friday night they'll be able to see the weekend schedule and give me a definite answer. So I will call him again on Friday and post what I find out. In the meantime, if anyone else comes up with a site that would be great!

I've never quite understood that. Somehow I don't think that bar owners really get how it works. They think they have this ultra secret feed of games or something. But if they have DirecTV, they get the same stuff as all us other DirecTV customers get.

Its entirely possible that DirecTV provides them with an easy to reference list of games for the weekend. But its not anything you can't figure out from tv.yahoo.com or any other channel listings.

So if they get DirecTV and they get channel 641, they'll get the game on Saturday (albeit better to watch on 642 cause that one won't cut out for a Wild game).

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:07PM

Rita

I was going to say "my condolences" for having to moved to Hartford, then I realized it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Not much going on here in WL/Lafayette. At least Hartford has Wolfpack, Yale, Q and UCONN hockey all within an hour.

You'll be singing a different tune when the Whalers come back, and I'm living 2 blocks from the Civic Center. }3 (stole that emoticon from a life-long Whaler fan, BTW)

Also, considering I moved from Blacksburg, VA, I'm quite empathetic to your plight in W. Lafayette, and also excited to be within a 2-hour drive of seven ECAC schools, and back in the Lynah roadtrip range. Yeah, Hartford has its problems, but no more than Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany also have. Being an upstate NY lad, I'm down with helping with the struggle.

Posted by: sockralex (---.travelers.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 11:31AM

RichH
You'll be singing a different tune when the Whalers come back, and I'm living 2 blocks from the Civic Center. }3 (stole that emoticon from a life-long Whaler fan, BTW)

Also, considering I moved from Blacksburg, VA, I'm quite empathetic to your plight in W. Lafayette, and also excited to be within a 2-hour drive of seven ECAC schools, and back in the Lynah roadtrip range. Yeah, Hartford has its problems, but no more than Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany also have. Being an upstate NY lad, I'm down with helping with the struggle.

I moved to Hartford in January as well.
I went to Rookies to watch the away Colgate game and had no problem with them giving me a tv. Might be more of an issue with the NCAA tourney now but I doubt it. I am going home (Upstate NY) for the weekend so I won't be in town or else that would be the place I'd go to for the game.

Date: March 24, 2006 11:40AM

Whalers }3 emoticon is awesome! I hear Brass Bonanza calling.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 02:55PM by cth95.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:02PM

A column in SI (the one towards the front, not Reilly) mentioned a Hartford sports bar that's a couple blocks from the Civic Center. It wasn't coach's. He talked about it being a big UConn bball bar, so Sunday might be difficult, if necessary. But with you guys talking about Hartford options, I thought I'd mention it.

- Fred
}3 (lifelong Whalers fan, although perhaps not as long as 'lifelong' usually means)

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:36PM

RichH
Rita

I was going to say "my condolences" for having to moved to Hartford, then I realized it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Not much going on here in WL/Lafayette. At least Hartford has Wolfpack, Yale, Q and UCONN hockey all within an hour.

When the Whalers come back, trouble will start in my family as one brother moves from Florida to CT to witness the revival. He will also try to evict his brother from the "family home". Maybe reality shows will still be in vogue when that happens ;-).

I will send him the cool emoticon, he'll appreciate that.

Posted by: Cornell Mom (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 02:45PM

There are two of us absoulutly ready for hockey anywhere in Connecticut. I don't want to drive to Boston (did that last year), and will drive to Albany again if I have too, but it would be nice to stay a little closer to home.
Ann

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:13PM

Hey, Hartford is the place to be, I guess. Just moved here in December. As for suburban sports bars, I've heard co-workers mention Sliders in Plainville. Their Web site shows they also have a location in Berlin.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 04:13PM by Weder.

Date: March 24, 2006 04:17PM

If ESPN doesn't have a sports bar in Bristol, they should. Any Hotelies want to take that idea and run? I think a chain of ESPN sports bars along the lines of Hard Rock Cafes would be a pretty cool idea. Just send me some small royalties. :-)

Gordie Howe had a restaurant/bar in Glastonbury when I was a kid (i.e 15-20 yrs ago). Anyone know if that is still going?

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:20PM

cth95
If ESPN doesn't have a sports bar in Bristol, they should. Any Hotelies want to take that idea and run? I think a chain of ESPN sports bars along the lines of Hard Rock Cafes would be a pretty cool idea. Just send me some small royalties. :-)

You mean like [www.espnzone.com] ?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:20PM

cth95

Gordie Howe had a restaurant/bar in Glastonbury when I was a kid (i.e 15-20 yrs ago). Anyone know if that is still going?

[espnzone.com]

edit: beat me to it!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 04:23PM by nyc94.

Date: March 24, 2006 04:27PM

Sorry. I forgot about seeing those on TV. Not much going on up here in the north country.

Date: March 24, 2006 07:42PM

I just got off the phone with Tim, one of the managers at Rookie Sports Bar and Grill in Cromwell. As I was on the phone with him, he had two NCAA games on live : BC-Miami and Holy Cross-Minnesota game. He couldn't give me 100 percent assurance that he'd be able to get the Cornell game on Saturday, but he seemed to think that if he's getting these two games live tonight, one on ESPNU and one on FSN, he'll be able to get the Cornell game live on Saturday. He also said that since they have 70 TVs, it would be no problem to give Cornell fans a couple of TVs to watch the game.
Our plans are still up in the air, but it sounds like a good bet that this place will have the game. Tim will be working there again Saturday, so feel free to check with him when you get there on Saturday.
The address is 51-14 Shinpike Road, Cromwell, and the phone number is 860 635-1860.

Posted by: Cornell Mom (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:01PM

Hi,
My only concern is that we live in northern Connecticut and have Cox Cable. They seem to be carrying all the games EXCEPT Cornell. Tonight we have watched BU and currently have the BC game on. If Rookies has the same line-up I don't see Cornell in the listings. I'm currently planning on going Rookies and hope for the best, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Ann

Date: March 24, 2006 10:58PM

Cornell Mom
Hi,
My only concern is that we live in northern Connecticut and have Cox Cable. They seem to be carrying all the games EXCEPT Cornell. Tonight we have watched BU and currently have the BC game on. If Rookies has the same line-up I don't see Cornell in the listings. I'm currently planning on going Rookies and hope for the best, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Ann

dbilmes said that they had the HC-Minnesota game on, which isn't on CN8. That means it was on Fox Sports North, and they should be able to have it.

[www.rookiesbar.com]

Date: March 25, 2006 03:49PM

A couple of us went to Rookies for lunch and afternoon regional action. They were accomodating to us, and were able to put the MSU-UNH, UW-BSU, and HU-UMaine games on. I told Tim to expect people between 5 and 6.

There is an advertisement for some Billy Joel Tribute band/guy that starts at 7:30, so it may get loud towards the end of our game. CU people should be able to request a corner/table somewhere.

Unfortunately it looks like I won't make it, however as other plans have come through. Again, Tim is accomodating, so people should be able to watch the game there.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 06:32PM

RichH

I moved to Hartford in January.

You assclown. You moved to Hartford in January and didn't email me?

Anyway, we're probably going to the Halfdoor or Tisane for brunch tomorrow 11ish if you want to meet up with us. Drop me email.

Posted by: lltw (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:28AM

RichH

You'll be singing a different tune when the Whalers come back

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! }3

Long Live the Whale!

LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 01:30AM by lltw.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.127.199.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:34AM

lltw
RichH

Long Live the Whale!

LGR!

Don't hold your breath. :-P

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:00AM

Chris '03
lltw
RichH

Long Live the Whale!

LGR!

Actually... it isn't as far fetched as you might think.

Over on the urbanplanet forums, somebody posted a link to economic analysis of various sports markets in a discussion on replacing the Hartford Civic Center.

[www.urbanplanet.org]

Anyway, based on regional disposable income and current number of pro teams, the top cities for expansion were ranked. On the overall list, Hartford was 3rd behind LA and Philly, and was also considered the #1 city for an NHL expansion team.

Here's the link to the analysis:

[www.bizjournals.com]

Date: March 26, 2006 10:31AM

jeh25
Chris '03
lltw
RichH

Long Live the Whale!

LGR!

Actually... it isn't as far fetched as you might think.

Over on the urbanplanet forums, somebody posted a link to economic analysis of various sports markets in a discussion on replacing the Hartford Civic Center.

[www.urbanplanet.org]

Anyway, based on regional disposable income and current number of pro teams, the top cities for expansion were ranked. On the overall list, Hartford was 3rd behind LA and Philly, and was also considered the #1 city for an NHL expansion team.

Here's the link to the analysis:

[www.bizjournals.com]

To explain the joke, lltw approached the NHL commissioner when he was in attendance at Lynah a couple years ago and specifically asked him about the chances that the Whalers could return someday. Mr. Betteman's response was a quick and cold, "Don't hold your breath." If memory serves me, I think the band also played "Brass Bonanza" when he went over to conduct the band or something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login