Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CC/Bemidji/Wisconsin cheering

Posted by Liz '05 
CC/Bemidji/Wisconsin cheering
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:32PM

I'm getting ready to start the long drive north, so I'm starting to think about how to taunt the other schools this weekend. From all of you who won't make it to the games, do you have any ideas on cheering or signs (if we can get the signs in)?

Re: CC/Bemidji/Wisconsin cheering
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:38PM

Have arrangements been made to have the Cowbell (and back-up cowbells) smuggled in? Maybe if we put some anti-Gopher stuff on it, the Wisconsin ushers will be sympathetic.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:41PM

One cheering lesson from last year - Ari might want to let the band carry in the cowbell and be standing with the band when playing it.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 01:42PM

jkahn
One cheering lesson from last year - Ari might want to let the band carry in the cowbell and be standing with the band when playing it.
Good idea. The ushers probably won't even be paying all that close attention to what the band is carrying in.

Kyle

Posted by: fink (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:26PM

CC takes courses on a block system (as opposed to semesters), as apparently the students are only able to handle 1 course at a time. And it only lasts for 3.5 weeks.

I'm having trouble coming up with a cheer/sign for that, but there has to be one in there somewhere.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:31PM

fink
CC takes courses on a block system (as opposed to semesters), as apparently the students are only able to handle 1 course at a time. And it only lasts for 3.5 weeks.

I'm having trouble coming up with a cheer/sign for that, but there has to be one in there somewhere.

that sounds quite pleasant actually

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:37PM

fink

block heads...

that's all i got.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:39PM

nyc94
fink

Having done that during Coop Summer, I can tell you it really sucks. Imagine spending 9-5 in class every day, with a prelim each of the first two Friday mornings and a final on the third Friday morning. You learn a lot less than you would if the material had some time to sink in.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:45PM

Not sure if this would really work, but to quote the people on that Goopher Puck Live discussion that was posted here a few weeks back:
"Cornell: even more obnoxious than Bucky"

(edited for correct phrasing)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2006 05:49PM by Bio '04.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:52PM

Bio '04
Not sure if this would really work, but to quote the people on that Goopher Puck Live discussion that was posted here a few weeks back:
"Cornell: even more obnoxious than Bucky"

(edited for correct phrasing)

Or to paraphrase what a Minny fan told me last year: "Lynah Faithful - Like Wisconsin fans on speed"

Or better yet, since UW's default cheer is also "Let's Go Red!" you could point out that we're the only team named "Red" there. They're the Badgers. Thanks for the support. How to put that in sign form, no idea...I'm empty right now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2006 05:55PM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
fink

Having done that during Coop Summer, I can tell you it really sucks. Imagine spending 9-5 in class every day, with a prelim each of the first two Friday mornings and a final on the third Friday morning. You learn a lot less than you would if the material had some time to sink in.
I agree. I took one three week summer class during Co-op summer and found that sitting in one class for 4 hours at a time (I think that's all it was) was brutal. The only thing that made it tolerable was the fact that the prof was a great storyteller and would get off on interesting tangents.

Different people learn in different ways. I for one don't have the attention span to sit in one classroom all day long, covering the same subject. Kind of the reason why I post here so much, when I'm supposed to be sitting here doing the same thing for 9 hours a day.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:11PM

Us- "Real Red","True Red", "We bleed Red", them- "Red Lite", "Rouge", "Faux Red", etc. or something along those lines.

If we play them, we could get a pointing cheer with "Big Red", "Little Red", "Big Red, Cheeseheads", or something similar.

Just typing while I brainstorm.

For CC, something using Rocky Mountain HIGH? Maybe relate CC as cubic centimeter dosage of something.

Date: March 23, 2006 06:13PM

[q] RichH "...since UW's default cheer is also "Let's Go Red!" ...[/q]
Maybe the Badger fans will be confused enough to cheer along with us. Usually those WCHA teams have a West is Best attitude, but perhaps they'll pull for us because they think we're the easier foe. Of course, that assumes they beat Bemidji and last year there were plenty of "almost" surprises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2006 06:15PM by jkahn.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:17PM

I have a hard enough time making it through the 1:15 2-day/wk classes I have compared to the 50 min 3-day/wk ones. I don't know how I could pay attention for a 4 hr class, let alone something longer.

I am on here all of the time recently because I am watching digital video of cows I recorded for my thesis. Definitely not something easy to focus on for long periods of time. Especially when I am far better at being active than sitting at a desk.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:36PM

RichH
Or better yet, since UW's default cheer is also "Let's Go Red!" you could point out that we're the only team named "Red" there. They're the Badgers. Thanks for the support. How to put that in sign form, no idea...I'm empty right now.

We could make a sign that says "Thanks for cheering for the Big RED" and hold it up when they start cheering...

I really need to sneak in a white board for spur of the moment signs.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 07:27PM

KeithK
Different people learn in different ways. I for one don't have the attention span to sit in one classroom all day long, covering the same subject. Kind of the reason why I post here so much, when I'm supposed to be sitting here doing the same thing for 9 hours a day.

Haha... as I was reading your post I didn't check the author, and I was thinking you were a student. I was planning on saying, "yeah, wait until you get to the working world, why do you think you see all these corporate domains posting to eLynah." Priceless :-D

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 08:50PM

"Bemidji Bites"
"Colorado=beer, NY= wine, Beer and CC suck"
"Buck Wisconsin"
"Smelly Cheese, Smelly cheese, smelly cheese" over and over again
for CC "are you like colgate, but on the far-edge of nowhere?"
"wisconsin hockey sucks, dont ya know"
"wisconsin hockey sucks, eh?"

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:19PM

[q]"Colorado=beer, NY= wine, Beer and CC suck" [/q]Huh? I'm no beer drinker, but I doubt you'd get general agreement among Cornell fans with that one.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:52PM

KeithK
[q]"Colorado=beer, NY= wine, Beer and CC suck" [/q]Huh? I'm no beer drinker, but I doubt you'd get general agreement among Cornell fans with that one.
We'd agree if you stipulated that the beer was Coors Light.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:53PM

At the 1970 NCAA tournament, I had a sign that said
" BADGER
WISCONSIN"
At first the 100 Wisconsin fans that were there (their allotment, Cornell fans had pretty much bought out the house other than the small team allotments) started cheering when we unfurled the sign, which I think was on an old bedsheet. About 5 seconds later someone realized what it really said and the cheers turned to boos.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:53PM

jmh30
KeithK

Given the Coors' Cornell connections (3 generations of alumni?), you might be better off insulting Miller Lite, which of course is going right back to railing on Wisconsin.

I'll save the Bud insults for next year's FF in St. Louis. uhoh

How about "Wisconsin cheese --> Overrated. NY cheese --> underrated," which, IMO, is true.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:03PM

RichH
jmh30
KeithK

Given the Coors' Cornell connections (3 generations of alumni?), you might be better off insulting Miller Lite, which of course is going right back to railing on Wisconsin.

How about "Wisconsin cheese --> Overrated. NY cheese --> underrated," which, IMO, is true.

true about the beer :)
even more true about the cheese, especially amish cheese in the fingerlakes area. YUM!

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:08PM

Western
Collegiate
Hockey:
Absent.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:19PM

Against CC --somehow work in that Coors is for Cornell

Against Wisconsin -- Mouson and Schafer badger Miller lite

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:24PM

fink

Interesting. That's the same system that Cornell College uses. I always end up next to them at college fairs.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:25PM

msphi81
Against CC --somehow work in that Coors is for Cornell

Against Wisconsin -- Mouson and Schafer badger Miller lite

CC prefers Coors, but Coors prefers Cornell.

Famous Cornellians: Coors, Moulson and Schafer

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:27PM

jy3
even more true about the cheese, especially amish cheese in the fingerlakes area. YUM!

OTOH, to those of you making the drive...I dare you to not stop at the Mars Cheese Castle. Go ahead and try to not stop.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:18AM

RichH
I'd like to put in an early claim on somebody's spare ticket for next year, and I'll take everyone out to the area in St. Louis where I had what may very well have been my drunkest night ever.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 24, 2006 01:31AM

uh, oh, I feel another curmudgeon diatribe coming on.......

Is there any cheer more lame than

"[school or player name here] sucks!" (or countless variations there of)?

What could possibly be less imaginative? I also don't see how such cheers help our team (that is what it is about afterall). It just makes other fans dislike us and try to counter-cheer (since it is most often used when we are well ahead or it seems absurd) and fires up the opposing teams.

A witty insult is so much more powerful. And gosh darn it, people will like us.:)

Of course, an exception must be made for Harvard where it is simply a statement of fact that they suck and there are no fans to get fired up. "Suck" can sometimes be witty in the right context (e.g. the black hole cheer for a goalie). But in most cases it leaves me cold.

Part of this diatribe came from walking out of the Dunk Tank in Providence in 2003 after we beat Mankatao State 5-2 and overhearing some folks, who looked like they could have been parents of a Mankato player, wonder why we were chanting Makatao Sucks! when the outcome wasn't in too much doubt. It wasn't classy. I was slightly embarrassed to be a Cornell fan.

Posted by: Bio '04 (146.186.37.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 07:52AM

Not very original (and again, perhaps not really able to be used if Cornell and Wisconsin don't play each other unless people want to make signs for the Wisconsin/Bemidji game), but some buttons that were handed out at the Wisconsin @ PSU football game this year included:

"Too badger sad"
"Bring a towel, scare a badger"

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.static.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 08:10AM

cth95
Us- "Real Red","True Red", "We bleed Red", them- "Red Lite", "Rouge", "Faux Red", etc. or something along those lines.

How about "Good Red"/"Bad Red"?

Also, show up for the early game and cheer for Bemidji. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 24, 2006 09:22AM

jtwcornell91

I have nothing against rooting for the underdog but I was annoyed when the BC fans were cheering Mankato. Since we have no rivalry with BC they have no real reason to cheer against us and pulling for an easy path to the Frozen Four is one thing if you do it here but another if you stand up in an arena.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:24AM

nyc94
jtwcornell91

I have nothing against rooting for the underdog but I was annoyed when the BC fans were cheering Mankato. Since we have no rivalry with BC they have no real reason to cheer against us and pulling for an easy path to the Frozen Four is one thing if you do it here but another if you stand up in an arena.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. By your logic, the BC fans were required either to cheer for Cornell or to sit on their hands quietly. Remember, we went into that tournament the #1 overall seed - everybody had a real reason to cheer against us.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2006 09:36AM

Beeeej
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. By your logic, the BC fans were required either to cheer for Cornell or to sit on their hands quietly. Remember, we went into that tournament the #1 overall seed - everybody had a real reason to cheer against us.

In fact, I said neither. They are free to do whatever they want. I said I thought they looked ridiculous. And considering such high regard people had for our ranking in 2003, they should have wanted the opportunity to knock us off.

Date: March 24, 2006 09:42AM

nyc94
Beeeej

In fact, I said neither. They are free to do whatever they want. I said I thought they looked ridiculous. And considering such high regard people had for our ranking in 2003, they should have wanted the opportunity to knock us off.

Okay, so to not look ridiculous to you, they would've had to be cheering for Cornell or sitting on their hands. I still think that's absurd.

As for what they "should" have wanted, who are you to decide that for them? I'd love to see Cornell beat Colorado College and Wisconsin, but I have a hard time believing it can happen. So I'd rather see our path to Milwaukee go through Bemidji, and I can't imagine begrudging BC fans a similar desire in 2003.

And even leaving aside whether they "should" have wanted to knock off Cornell, in the absence of rivalries or other motivations, everybody loves an upset.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:00AM

Beeeej
nyc94
Beeeej

Okay, so to not look ridiculous to you, they would've had to be cheering for Cornell or sitting on their hands. I still think that's absurd.

As for what they "should" have wanted, who are you to decide that for them? I'd love to see Cornell beat Colorado College and Wisconsin, but I have a hard time believing it can happen. So I'd rather see our path to Milwaukee go through Bemidji, and I can't imagine begrudging BC fans a similar desire in 2003.

And even leaving aside whether they "should" have wanted to knock off Cornell, in the absence of rivalries or other motivations, everybody loves an upset.

Beeeej

Just not the #10 seeded (overall) hockey team knocking off the #8 seeded hockey
team!

Signed,
The woman with a squeak-ball "Left-side" bracket smashed to smithereens.

Date: March 24, 2006 10:10AM

Roy 82
"[school or player name here] sucks!" (or countless variations there of)?

What could possibly be less imaginative?

Ooo, I know! Singing the opposing goalie's name over and over in the "doorbell" tune. That is less imaginative, and it's the only thing NHL fans can come up with. I hate that, because it isn't really taunting him, it's just saying his name. Several college fanbases do that (SLU(t) and UVM come to mind for some reason), but I'm glad we don't.

While [opponent]....SUCKS! is unimaginative and lame if overused, at least it says something and expresses a fact/opinion. Additionally, there is something I like about the entire crowd doing a prolonged "Harvard Sucks!" chant (not the call-answer one) before we play them. It's primal, forceful, and expresses the depths of our hate in that special case. It sets the stage and really reminds me that I'm at a Cornell-Harvard game. No other team gets that treatment.

Certainly this generation overuses the word "sucks" and many of us have made fun of and complained about that. But there is a time and a place for it where it just makes sense and works.

Date: March 24, 2006 10:31AM

Beeeej
So I'd rather see our path to Milwaukee go through Bemidji

Additionally, a Cornell win and Wisconsin loss on Saturday would give our fans free run of the joint and an opportunity to be heard on Sunday. :-)

[sports.yahoo.com]

[Q]"It can't be any better than to play in your home state in front of all red and white," Burish said.[/Q]

Date: March 24, 2006 10:43AM

Beeeej

If we won the title by beating Colorado College, Bemidji, New Hampshire, and Holy Cross just imagine the thread titles over at USCHO. :-)

Anyway, just to reiterate, I think people are free to cheer for whatever teams they want and no, I wouldn't have expected BC to cheer for us. I'm not saying I won't pull for Bemidji in the privacy of my own home. I'm not sure I would do it in Green Bay.

Date: March 24, 2006 10:47AM

nyc94
If we won the title by beating Colorado College, Bemidji, New Hampshire, and Holy Cross just imagine the thread titles over at USCHO. :-)

I know, I've considered that myself. :-D But the truth is, if your team couldn't get it done in the opening round against Bemidji or Holy Cross, what right do you have to say Cornell didn't deserve the national championship by beating them?

It'll never happen that way, but it is fun to think about. Personally I think winning the title by beating Colorado College, Bemidji, Sucks, and Holy Cross would be perfect.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2006 10:51AM

Beeeej
It'll never happen that way, but it is fun to think about. Personally I think winning the title by beating Colorado College, Bemidji, Sucks, and Holy Cross would be perfect.

If Holy Cross beat Minnesota I would be spending the next two weeks over at GPL.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.static.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:54AM

nyc94
jtwcornell91

I think the fact that Wisconsin is the local team makes it more desirable to support Bemidji, since they'll be outnumbered.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jacob 03 (128.118.121.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 11:45AM

RichH
Ooo, I know! Singing the opposing goalie's name over and over in the "doorbell" tune.

I like how you called two alternating pitches a "tune," Rich. They can take the man out of pep band...

Beeeej

Beeeej

I like upsets (sometimes) too, Beeeej. But out of curiousity, how is "in the absence of rivalries or other motivations, everybody loves an upset" really different from "unless I don't want to root for the little guy, I'm going to root for the little guy?"

Date: March 24, 2006 11:53AM

Jacob 03
Beeeej

Beeeej

I like upsets (sometimes) too, Beeeej. But out of curiousity, how is "in the absence of rivalries or other motivations, everybody loves an upset" really different from "unless I don't want to root for the little guy, I'm going to root for the little guy?"

It's not. Were you expecting it to be?

It's not that complex a concept.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: rouls78 (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 11:53AM

You bet. And there will be plenty of tickets available for Milwaukee!!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:01PM

RichH
Ooo, I know! Singing the opposing goalie's name over and over in the "doorbell" tune. That is less imaginative, and it's the only thing NHL fans can come up with. I hate that, because it isn't really taunting him, it's just saying his name. Several college fanbases do that (SLU(t) and UVM come to mind for some reason), but I'm glad we don't.
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEX-TAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL....

(Sorry, I get your general point, it's just that that particular one is an oldie but a goodie. :-D)

Date: March 24, 2006 12:09PM

Wisconsin has a song they play a lot to the Budweiser tune. I'm not sure what the words are, maybe "when you say Wisconsin, you've said it all." Perhaps we should quickly follow that with an earlier than usual refrain of "Schafer is the ..."
We can expect a very large and loud group of Wisconsin fans. I haven't seen them live since the '70's but they are well organized and will try to rattle the opposing goalie. They've got various sieve cheers (they're the first ones I ever heard use "sieve";) and they use the "Mary had a Little Lamb" tune for "Opposing goalie is a great big sieve..."
Hopefully, they'll get a chance to use it against us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 12:10PM by jkahn.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:42PM

There's got to be a cheer/sign out of this quote from the link RichH posted above:

[Q]While most of the players by now have full beards, 18-year-old freshman Jack Skille is having some trouble cultivating much.

"We gave Jack a fake beard, he's got one in the locker room that we made him wear last weekend at the Final Five," Burish said.[/Q]

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 25, 2006 01:36AM

OK, this is it. The definitive CC cheer. Something on the USCHO forum inadvertently gave me this idea.

We shake pieces of paper in our hands (perhaps some newspapers left from the intros) and shout "Paper". The we point to the CC end and shout "Tigers".

"Paper" "Tigers"

(Perhaps chant it over and over again like a doorbell too. Because we love that) :)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:39AM

Roy 82
"Paper" "Tigers"
Excellent. Why haven't we been using this against Princeton for decades?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login