Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dan Fridgen has resigned from RPI

Posted by ursusminor 
Dan Fridgen has resigned from RPI
Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:27PM

[www.rpiathletics.com]

That's resigned, not re-signed, although I suspect that he resigned before he would have been fired.

Re: Dan Fridgen has resigned from RPI
Posted by: mrs63 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:36PM

As an RPI undergrad before coming to Cornell for grad school, I have to say good riddance. While Fridge was a very good man (even opening up his home to his players), he wasn't a good coach, and anyone who has watched the team the past 4 years knows that. RPI's play was so predictable - dump the puck in the offensive zone and line change continually. Drove fans insane.

I really hope that Joe Juneau gets the job (and obviously hope that he is willing to take it if it's offered to him). I think the situation at RPI is very similar to what happened here in the mid-90s when Schafer took over. Perhaps this is a sign that the Tute wants to turn it around.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:48PM

I enjoyed watching Junea play for RPI (I overlapped at Cornell for 3 of his 4 years)...... he was a great player. What's he doing these days? It looks like he accepted a job in his hometown. From what he's said on a few occasions, I thought he wanted to be an engineer so that he could get a job after hockey.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:49PM

Not surprising. RPI seems to have steadily gotten worse over the last few years. Good luck in finding a new coach who can rejuvenate the program.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 12:51PM

This past weekend most of us were talking about Fridgen resigning; I believe he was the only ECAC coach not at the awards banquet. Good luck RPI! The league keeps getting better and it is vital for the non-Ivy league teams to be strong since they represent the majority of our leagues out of conference games.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:11PM

KeithK
Not surprising. RPI seems to have steadily gotten worse over the last few years. Good luck in finding a new coach who can rejuvenate the program.
And also good luck to Fridgen in finding himself a new gig where he can be more successful. Everything I've heard about him suggests that he's a good guy who was just stuck in a rut, and hopefully a change of scenery will fix that up a bit.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:18PM

RatushnyFan
I enjoyed watching Junea play for RPI (I overlapped at Cornell for 3 of his 4 years)...... he was a great player. What's he doing these days? It looks like he accepted a job in his hometown. From what he's said on a few occasions, I thought he wanted to be an engineer so that he could get a job after hockey.

[sports.espn.go.com]
When Juneau was honored at RPI in November he said

[q]"I've already started looking at projects to see how I could help," Juneau said. "When I came here in 1987, RPI was among the top five college hockey programs in the country. I would like to help restore it to national prominence."[/q]
[www.timesunion.com]

That made some of us think that he was interested in coming back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 01:19PM by ursaminor.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-wa.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:25PM

jmh30
KeithK
And also good luck to Fridgen in finding himself a new gig where he can be more successful. Everything I've heard about him suggests that he's a good guy who was just stuck in a rut, and hopefully a change of scenery will fix that up a bit.

It worked for Brian McCutcheon, and he even stayed on good enough terms with Cornell to send his son there. (Thanks!)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: slh10 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:08PM

Too bad, I had the opportunity to enjoy about four hours of conversation with coach Fridgen and his wife Friday and Saturday nights.He truly is passionate about the game and has high remarks for coach Schafer. I wish him well in his further endeavors

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:47PM

ursaminor

When Juneau was honored at RPI in November he said

[q]"I've already started looking at projects to see how I could help," Juneau said. "When I came here in 1987, RPI was among the top five college hockey programs in the country. I would like to help restore it to national prominence."[/q]
[www.timesunion.com]

That made some of us think that he was interested in coming back.

And those who didn't think he was talking about grabbing the coaching job from Fridgen were on mood altering medication. In the audio interview that ran on WRIP he never once mentioned Coach Fridgen.

Note to the RIP AD. When you hire Joe J., make sure to put a hefty chunk of money aside for sensitivity/PR training. Joe dissed Mike Adessa during that same interview. (I actually thought it was refreshing to hear someone speak his mind, but I doubt the school as a whole nor A.D. Ralph were thrilled.)

Date: March 21, 2006 05:49PM

slh10
Too bad, I had the opportunity to enjoy about four hours of conversation with coach Fridgen and his wife Friday and Saturday nights.He truly is passionate about the game and has high remarks for coach Schafer. I wish him well in his further endeavors

I would like to add my hopes that he finds a niche. He is supposed to be one of the nicest guys in the game. All the complaining I have done over the last 5 or more years was in the interest of better hockey at RIP. I hope he lands on his feet (or skates or whatever).

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:21PM

RatushnyFan
I enjoyed watching Juneau play for RPI
I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word for it. I sure as hell respected it but I didn't enjoy it at all.

I also didn't enjoy watching Bruce Coles lay people out but I respected him quite a bit as well. Because I was afraid.

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:22PM

The ECAC really could use a strong RPI team. I remember in the late 80's when they were a great skating team, and would seem to regularly get into high scoring shootouts.

Juneau would be a great possibility.

Hopefully they take their opportunity to upgrade the program -- like Donato at Harvard.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:46AM

ugarte
RatushnyFan
I enjoyed watching Juneau play for RPI
I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word for it. I sure as hell respected it but I didn't enjoy it at all.

I also didn't enjoy watching Bruce Coles lay people out but I respected him quite a bit as well. Because I was afraid.
'88-'89: W 3-2 @ RPI, W 4-2 @ Lynah
'89-'90: W 6-4 @ Lynah, L 6-5 (OT) @ RPI, L 3-2 @ ECAC semis in Boston
'90-'91: W 5-4 @ RPI, L 5-4 @ Lynah (part of the final weekend collapse)

In my years of overlap with Junea, we were 4-3.........not so bad. But the loss in Boston hurt and the loss in '91 (and losing to Vermont, getting swept at home to lose the ECAC regular season title in the last week of the season) obviously stung. Each of those three losses were by a single goal......ouch.

Posted by: dford'94 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 01:27PM

I think Fridgen deep down wanted the Colgate job when Terry Slater passed away and was passed over for Vaughn. He inherited a lot of talent at RPI and coached it up pretty well but I always felt he could not recruit enough players. He always seemed to get some really exceptional players but their depth has always been very suspect. Third and Fourth lines win championships.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:15PM

dford'94
Third and Fourth lines win championships.
Which sounds more upbeat than, "Without solid third and fourth lines, you're unlikely to win the championships your first two lines make possible."

Maybe exception proves rule and this is two generations ago, but didn't Ned Harkness win the 1954 title at RPI with, what, 12 skaters? That's two front and back lines and two spares.

One last iteration: Cornell is the kind of team that needs four lines to win a championship because we don't have, haven't had in a long time, a mind-blowing first line. We've had several All-America first team forwards, but how many times have we had a serious-contender Hobey Baker finalist forward?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 23, 2006 02:17PM

billhoward
We've had several All-America first team forwards, but how many times have we had a serious-contender Hobey Baker finalist forward?
Well, there was Nieuwendyk, and, uhh... uhoh

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 03:14PM

jmh30
billhoward
We've had several All-America first team forwards, but how many times have we had a serious-contender Hobey Baker finalist forward?
Well, there was Nieuwendyk, and, uhh... uhoh
... Lance Nethery and, um ... we're back before the HB awards era.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:24PM

I don't know how they stacked up to their competition for awards, but the Derraugh-Andison-Hughes line racked up some pretty impressive numbers in 1991 (166 points total).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:53PM

KeithK
I don't know how they stacked up to their competition for awards, but the Derraugh-Andison-Hughes line racked up some pretty impressive numbers in 1991 (166 points total).
David Emma (BC) won the Hobey that year with 81 points.

Date: March 23, 2006 05:01PM

dford'94
I think Fridgen deep down wanted the Colgate job....Third and Fourth lines win championships.

And so does coaching. A coach whose teams look worse a season's end and whose players don't develop over their four years on the team is the definition of mediocre. This year they started to gel as a team and my conclusion after 12 years of watching - one of the assistant coaches must be making an impact.

(A la 2004 when unpaid assistant George Morrison helped them with their power play.)

Fridgen would make a hell of an assistant/recruiter. Good luck to him.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 04:42PM

And now Taylor of Yale is gone too!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 05:23PM

Chris 02

Wow, and USCHO doesn't make it sound like he stepped down, the phrase is "was removed from [coach] and will be offered reassignment".

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:05PM

DeltaOne81
Chris 02

Wow, and USCHO doesn't make it sound like he stepped down, the phrase is "was removed from [coach] and will be offered reassignment".

[www.uscho.com]

USCHO needs to change their cover story and photo. :`(

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 07:21PM

nyc94
USCHO needs to change their cover story and photo. :`(

Yup. The same thing happened last year about this time...I could never stay on the main page very long.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:01PM

DeltaOne81
Chris 02

[www.uscho.com]
That's pretty crazy. I always thought Taylor's arrangement was like "coach-for-life." screwy

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:08PM

jmh30
DeltaOne81

[www.uscho.com]
That's pretty crazy. I always thought Taylor's arrangement was like "coach-for-life." screwy

Perhaps he died years ago and they just noticed :-}

(Sorry, couldn't help myself nut )

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:10PM

jmh30
Personally, I'm thrilled that yet another ECAC school is showing the beginnings of some commitment to upgrading its program. A stronger ECAC means less bitching from me, which I'm sure was at the top of their list of reasons for giving Taylor the axe. :)

Kyle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login