Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECACHL Officials

Posted by schoaff 
ECACHL Officials
Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 11:51AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned over here, but that could be because it's a fabrication.

Over on USCHO there's a thread stating that Butch Bellemore (Supervisor of Officials) and Brewster Earle his assistant both resigned after the first period of the Cornell/Harvard game. The story is that Schafer and Bellemore got in to a shouting match between periods (presumedly over the officiating in the game although I suppose Bellemore could have stuck Schafer with his bar tab the night before). When Commissioner Hagwell stepped in and threatened to have the police remove Bellemore from the arena, he resigned.

Was wondering if anyone had heard the real story or if any of the Ithaca papers picked up on this?

Re: ECACHL Officials
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:03PM

I thought that Bellemore, Hagwell and their families were sitting at the table and standing in the tunnel behind the away goal. I was sitting at the bottom of 128, in the second row right next to the table.

Bellemore's contact info is still on the ECAC(HL) website: [www.ecachockeyleague.com]

(BTW, I love how Hagwell's email address is "shagwell";)

What is clear though is that people really hate Cornell. Certain Harvard fans seem to have an affinity to disseminate false information (think clutch and grab) on the USCHO boards. Opposing teams and their fans feed off of our fans (Union and RPI come to mind). Maybe it is the "you have no fans" cheer? Or the drunken tirades after wins by some of our young fans that haven't ever experienced losing? Either way, I don't think it is helping.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:34PM

But you have to admit that standing up in the final minute of a 1-0 hockey game is just plain rude. screwy

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:22PM

atb9
I thought that Bellemore, Hagwell and their families were sitting at the table and standing in the tunnel behind the away goal. I was sitting at the bottom of 128, in the second row right next to the table.

Bellemore's contact info is still on the ECAC(HL) website: [www.ecachockeyleague.com]

(BTW, I love how Hagwell's email address is "shagwell";)

What is clear though is that people really hate Cornell. Certain Harvard fans seem to have an affinity to disseminate false information (think clutch and grab) on the USCHO boards. Opposing teams and their fans feed off of our fans (Union and RPI come to mind). Maybe it is the "you have no fans" cheer? Or the drunken tirades after wins by some of our young fans that haven't ever experienced losing? Either way, I don't think it is helping.

Happens to Duke basketball, too. They deal with it by winning. (Unlike the Duke lax team, which got taken down 11-7 by our Big Red at Duke in bitterly poor weather. Cornell ran off the last four goals [edit correction: 5 of the last 6] of the game, the D was awesome. Let's hope it's catching.).

At least Rich S would stand up for us when it's not a Clarkson game involved. Say, where is Rich these days?

Life would be too perfect if Steve's admin was Felicity.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 05:29PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Kristi 97 (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:46PM

Apparently USCHO has more information on this subject:
[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 04:58PM

So the resignations are official. We don't and probably won't have confirmation one way or the other about the Bellemore/Schafer shouting match story.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:26PM

If it is true that Schafer got into a shouting match with an official between periods of the game, I'd be really disappointed.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2006 05:36PM

I walked past that area several times a period and was shooting back there quite a bit during the games and didn't see or hear anything. Of course I wasn't there all the time. *shrug*

Date: March 23, 2006 07:01PM

calgARI '07
If it is true that Schafer got into a shouting match with an official between periods of the game, I'd be really disappointed.

Well, so would I, but this wasn't an official, it was a bureaucrat. They're always fair game to yell at.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 07:11PM

schoaff
calgARI '07

Well, so would I, but this wasn't an official, it was a bureaucrat. They're always fair game to yell at.

I definitely agree. My gripe would just be Schafer seemingly putting more energy towards scolding the officials/bureaucrats when its his players who are sucking and costing themselves the game.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 09:37PM

If Schafer got into a shouting match, even if he was the aggressor, I still think that the officials AND bureaucrats shouldn't let it drag on and on. At some point, they should walk away. And if Schafer is out of line, give him a penalty. Can't they give him an abuse of official penalty between periods? If what was detailed in the USCHO message board really happened, it's ridiculous that it escalated to this point.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:17PM

RatushnyFan
If Schafer got into a shouting match, even if he was the aggressor, I still think that the officials AND bureaucrats shouldn't let it drag on and on. At some point, they should walk away. And if Schafer is out of line, give him a penalty. Can't they give him an abuse of official penalty between periods? If what was detailed in the USCHO message board really happened, it's ridiculous that it escalated to this point.

I agree, Schafer could be in the wrong. But if you're a league official. You have to walk away. You can't let a coach drag you into a childish shouting match. You have to walk away. Coaches are supposed to show emotion - a supervisor of officials has to be the adult.

Date: March 23, 2006 10:25PM

RatushnyFan

I haven't seen anyone claim officals were involved, just the bureaucrats from the league. Did I miss something?

Yeah, you shouldn't have prolonged arguments with the on-ice guys, but if you start penalizing them for arguing with league employees you might as well penalize people for arguing with the guys at the parking garage on the way to the game too.

Posted by: Ken'70 (---.254.51.209.conversent.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:14PM

calgARI '07
I definitely agree. My gripe would just be Schafer seemingly putting more energy towards scolding the officials/bureaucrats when its his players who are sucking and costing themselves the game.

This is how Ned spent a lot of his time between periods. It's not like he had to lecture the Fergusons, Ken Dryden or Dan Lodboa how to play hockey, so he spent it as productively as possible - bitching at the refs.;-)

Posted by: Omie (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:12AM

According to CHN the Schafer/Bellemore incident never happened...

[Q]CHN Staff Report

ALBANY, N.Y. — ECAC Supervisor of Officials Butch Bellemore, and Brewster Earle, the league's Director of Officiating Development, have informed the league they will resign their positions.

ECAC commissioner Steve Hagwell declined to comment on the situation.

Contrary to Internet rumors, sources told CHN that Bellemore was not involved in a mid-game shouting incident with Cornell coach Mike Schafer during Saturday's ECAC final.
[/Q]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login