Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

watching regional in boston?

Posted by A-19 
watching regional in boston?
Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:17PM

so this is a question for fred and/or anyone who was planning to organize something this friday in boston--

are we setup to see the game at sports depot in allston? uscho says it's 5:30est and i think it's a channel sports depot should get. i know a few people who are interested in making it.

-mike '04

Re: watching regional in boston?
Posted by: Robin (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:20PM

FYI it's Saturday. ...and BC should not be playing then :-)

I think something is in the works to try to get the back room at the Sports Depot, but I'll let those involved speak for themself(ves).

Robin '98

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 09:47PM

Yeah, Kyle and I (well, mostly Kyle this time) are planning on the Sports Depot. He'll be checking with them tomorrow. And we'll definitely go for the back room again I'm sure.

Stay tuned I guess, but really, pretty much figure that'll be the case.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:15AM

Yeah, I'm going to call them tomorrow morning to schedule the back room. Hopefully it won't be taken for squeakball.

Kyle

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:21AM

Count the Killers in, Mrs. Killer included, if the Sports Depot is setting up to be the place.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:00AM

Add two more onto your count for the Depot. Are we sure they get whatever Fox Sports channel is necessary (DirecTV 641 someone mentioned)?

Posted by: montague (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:13AM

Will this place let underage people in?

Date: March 20, 2006 10:23AM

montague
I believe so: it's a restaurant.

Kyle

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:25AM

Winnabago
Add two more onto your count for the Depot. Are we sure they get whatever Fox Sports channel is necessary (DirecTV 641 someone mentioned)?

We'll check, but they really should. Its in the standard Fox Sports package with NESN, MSG, and a bunch of Fox Sports channels. Any sports bar should get the Fox Sports & SportsChannel packages, which together cover basically all the regional sports stations. Unless its a bar that caters nearly exclusively to local sports.

The problem last year was that Altitude, at least partially because its new, isn't in either of those packages and was instead a standalone order for commercial establishments.

So we'll check, but I'd be quite surprised if they didn't.

montague

Certainly. Like most "sports bars" its really a sports restaurant that just has a bar in it, but also has plenty of tables, food, wait-service, etc. They only card you if you order beer :)

[www.sportsdepotboston.com]

Posted by: montague (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:38AM

Thanks. I'll most likely be there.

Posted by: ChipJ (---.ad.umassmed.edu)
Date: March 20, 2006 11:09AM

I will almost certainly be there

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:26PM

I called Sports Depot, and Alex told me that they aren't taking reservations because of March Madness, so it's basically first-come, first-served. That said, he told me to call John (the manager) tomorrow morning to see what he can do.

If we can't get a reservation, I suggest we all just show up a half hour in advance and see if we can snag the back room, or otherwise grab a few tables and screens.

I'll let you all know.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: March 21, 2006 01:03PM

Re: Kyle's update from [elf.elynah.com]

We can't get a reservation officially, but I agree with Kyle's point that the backroom typically isn't used for individuals, so I would be surprised if it were a problem. I agree that we should show up early - early enough so that if we can't get the backroom, we can head back to our homes or to someone's appropriate nearby residence (if it comes to it, I'm happy to host a few people at my place in Marlborough).

In that vein, I plan on being there in the 4:45 to 5:00 time frame. I really don't expect that either getting the backroom, or at least a section of the restaurant, would be a problem.

Also as Kyle mentioned, last year we were at Sports Grille, near the Fleet/Gahden for the OSU game. And there are plenty of other Sports Bars in Boston. If anyone wants to call around and find a place that will give us a reservation of a such and gets DirecTV channel 641/642 (642 may be blank at many times of the day since its just an alternate), then feel free and post back.

Otherwise, my thought is lets head to Sports Depot a little early and get an area. Any objections?

Date: March 21, 2006 10:15PM

I also plan to be 'there', wherever there ends up being, on Saturday. I have no objections to the Sports Depot idea.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 10:45PM

Tom, where are ya? Do any calling around yet? :)

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:06AM

I'm here. Yesterday's calls did not produce anything. If I don't get anywhere by mid-day today, I say we go with the Sports Depot. The Regional Office is just waiting for me to send them the announcement and they'll send it right out. I'm tempted to put 4:45 p.m. as the meeting time so people think the game is at 5 and show up by 5 to have a strong showing so that they will meet our demands for tv's. Hopefully with our third and strongest showing yet this season they will come to know us as a regular big group that they can count on for a high food and bar tab and not give us any run around as to reserving space in the future.

Posted by: jaybert (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:32AM

Tom Pasniewski 98
I'm here. Yesterday's calls did not produce anything. If I don't get anywhere by mid-day today, I say we go with the Sports Depot. The Regional Office is just waiting for me to send them the announcement and they'll send it right out. I'm tempted to put 4:45 p.m. as the meeting time so people think the game is at 5 and show up by 5 to have a strong showing so that they will meet our demands for tv's. Hopefully with our third and strongest showing yet this season they will come to know us as a regular big group that they can count on for a high food and bar tab and not give us any run around as to reserving space in the future.

I was in Boston for the Harvard vs. Cornell regular season game @ Lynah and am surprised that Sports Depot would not be willing to reserve the room for you guys. Must of been at least 25-30 people in the room, and it seemed like everyone was ordering food/drinks. I doubt they're going to get any large groups coming in and wanting to watch one game for March Madness

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.abr-ubr2.sbo-abr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:35AM

Thanks for all the leg work from those calling around!
Just my two cents that the parking at the Sports Depot is a major plus for me and the people I keep informed of these events, some of the other locations more downtown require taking the MBTA or finding a garage (not the end of the world) Not sure how the Depot was for those coming by MBTA last time, we probably cant make everyone happy but that is a nice upside to the Sports Depot. Kevin

Date: March 22, 2006 10:34AM

Jason L
Tom Pasniewski 98

I was in Boston for the Harvard vs. Cornell regular season game @ Lynah and am surprised that Sports Depot would not be willing to reserve the room for you guys. Must of been at least 25-30 people in the room, and it seemed like everyone was ordering food/drinks. I doubt they're going to get any large groups coming in and wanting to watch one game for March Madness

Yeah, that's my thinking too. And if we show up with 20-30 people, they'll do some work to accommodate us. No one turns away that much business if they can help it.

Giving them half an hour lead time is basically being polite to them to allow them to shuffle things around some if they need it. At the very least there's the long skinny hidden area by the bathrooms which hardly ever has anyone in it.

It must be a Boston thing. Not sure why Boston takes March madness more seriously than other cities where our fellow Cornellians don't seem to have issues making reservations.

Kyle, assuming Tom tells us today that he couldn't find a place with a reservation and channel 641/642, I think it'd be a good idea for you to call back and let them know that, reservation or not, we are planning on bringing a good sized group again,. I would say something like this:

"We've come to Sports Depot for 3 previous events and always filled up your back room. We've enjoyed ourselves and would like to come again. I understand you're not taking reservations, but I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed expect to be bringing a good sized group around 5 PM on Saturday. If its possible we would appreciate it if you could do your best to keep an area open for us. I know its not reserved, but I just wanted to give you a heads up so that you know to expect us - and maybe can keep an area open if you have space."

Or, something similar :)

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:49AM

DeltaOne81

It must be a Boston thing. Not sure why Boston takes March madness more seriously than other cities where our fellow Cornellians don't seem to have issues making reservations.

Just don't try, even 4 days in advance, to book a table-TV in West Lafayette-Lafayette IN for hockey during March madness. Having all four CBS game feeds did something to their satellite system and they couldn't get any hockey (CSTV or fox regional stations) or other sports programming on the smaller TVs. That cemented my decision to go to the regionals. Apparently our "usual table and TV", the one set in a corner, perfect for ~ 6 people, was occupied Thursday and Friday by a group of guys from 10 am to 2 am watching pre-game hype, the games and all the post-game hype. The state of Indiana only had 1 team in it (and for 2 days longer than I thought). However, I am quite happy that all the Big Ten men's teams have been knocked out of the basket ball tourney. :-D

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:07PM

Taking a break from work to read what I missed today on the forum. I was unsuccessful in finding a place that would make guarantees to my liking. Therefore, I say Sports Depot and tomorrow word will go out to as many alumni have their e-mail addresses on file with the Regional Office unless something changes over night.

Date: March 22, 2006 08:58PM

I know people in Chicago who had trouble even securing just one TV in a bar for the game last week against Colgate....because of March Madness + St Patty's day.

Tom, btw, where did you call?

Date: March 25, 2006 10:59AM

Bump. Remember to get there at 4:45 so we can get seats and TV's.

Kyle

Posted by: Molly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 12:10PM

Is anyone going early to watch any of the earlier games in the other regionals?

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 12:54PM

I'm tempted to go earlier but then I just spent last night there. BC hockey on about 1/4 of the tv's at the same time as BC basketball with two tv's tuned to the HC-Minny game. The BC games ended within a couple of minutes of each other. Every BC fan left dejected (bball result) and I think many didn't even realize BC was playing hockey. What a waste of physical space.

A decent crowd did arrive for the late bball games and bball begins at 4:40 today. That being said, I probably won't get there earlier than 4:45 since I can catch the start of the Harvard game at home but with nothing else on, I'm sure they'll put hockey on for you.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:18PM

thanks to kyle and everyone else who organized yesterday's viewing @ the sports depot.

for those who aren't aware, i noticed comcast cn8 (channel 3) is showing both regionals live today in the boston area.

-mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login