Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Why I will be (shudder) rooting for Sucks tomorrow

Posted by andyw2100 
Why I will be (shudder) rooting for Sucks tomorrow
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:34PM

OK, OK. What I'll really be rooting for while watching Sucks vs. Dartmouth is a couple of bench-clearing brawls, and a half-dozen game disqualifications per team. But failing that...

I'll be rooting for Harvard for a few reasons, all of which assume that we will be playing the late game on Saturday:

1)It would be nice to get to wear the white jerseys in the championship game, and, of course, to have the final line change that goes along with that.

2)I like the idea of beating Harvard in the championship game again.

3)I believe if we play Harvard on Saturday we will be shooting twice into the end where the Cornell seats are. Last year the "home" team shot in that direction twice, but the Cornell section was at the other end of the rink.

4)Nothing beats beating Harvard in a championship game.

Anyone feel differently, and plan on rooting for Dartmouth?
Andy W.

Re: Why I will be (shudder) rooting for Sucks tomorrow
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:43PM

I'm sick of Harvard's annual tradition of being right in the middle of the title hunt despite a so-so regular season. I don't want there to be a chance they could waltz out of Albany with their third cup in five years. Sure we could beat them in the final but if we don't win it I'd rather Dartmouth won.

Posted by: dargason (---.155.212.219.conversent.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:46PM

andyw2100
OK, OK. What I'll really be rooting for while watching Sucks vs. Dartmouth is a couple of bench-clearing brawls, and a half-dozen game disqualifications per team.

Don't forget to root for a half dozen overtimes too.

Honestly, I don't care who we play, as long as it's after dinner

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:49PM

dargason
Half a dozen overtimes wouldn't be such a great result this year, since our team has to play afterwards. I'd rather not hear "our team's sleeping" directed at our guys at 1am.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:53PM

I'd rather not hear "our team's sleeping" directed at our guys at 1am.

The only way you'd hear that would be if one of the six Harvard fans walked up to you and said it.

But of course you're right about the OTs. which is why I didn't say I was rooting for multiple OTs.
Andy W.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:53PM

KeithK
dargason
Half a dozen overtimes wouldn't be such a great result this year, since our team has to play afterwards. I'd rather not hear "our team's sleeping" directed at our guys at 1am.

Luckily, we'll be the only fans around at that time. Harvard won't have come, Colgate will be passed out, and Dartmouth (if still there) won't remember the cheer from last year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:55PM

Liz '05
Luckily, we'll be the only fans around at that time. Harvard won't have come, Colgate will be passed out, and Dartmouth (if still there) won't remember the cheer from last year.

I for one would love to hear the Colgate fans chanting "our team's sleeping" in the middle of our semi.

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:13PM

Trotsky
Liz '05

I for one would love to hear the Colgate fans chanting "our team's sleeping" in the middle of our semi.

Thanks for the laugh of the day.

I'll be rooting for Dartmouth because my wife's DC '90. Not only was she nice enough to fly to Albany last year, she's putting up with me climbing around in trees with a running chainsaw so the new satellite dish will have a clear view for tomorrow's game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2006 03:39PM by schoaff.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:28PM

schoaff
she's putting up with climbing around in trees with a running chainsaw so the new satellite dish will have a clear view for tomorrow's game.

Are they your trees? ;-)

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:36PM

schoaff
I'll be rooting for Dartmouth because my wife's DC '90. Not only was she nice enough to fly to Albany last year, she's putting up with climbing around in trees with a running chainsaw so the new satellite dish will have a clear view for tomorrow's game.

Cool - I want a wife who climbs around in trees with a running chainsaw, too!!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 16, 2006 03:40PM

Trotsky
schoaff
she's putting up with me climbing around in trees with a running chainsaw so the new satellite dish will have a clear view for tomorrow's game.

Are they your trees? ;-)

No, but if I'm caught I'll lie and say I'm doing it to watch Gators football games. Isn't a jury in Florida that would convict me for that.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:55PM

schoaff
Trotsky
schoaff
she's putting up with me climbing around in trees with a running chainsaw so the new satellite dish will have a clear view for tomorrow's game.

Are they your trees? ;-)

No, but if I'm caught I'll lie and say I'm doing it to watch Gators football games. Isn't a jury in Florida that would convict me for that.
unless they are 'noles or 'canes fans :)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:00PM

I'm rooting for Harvard (quietly, certainly no cheering) because I think Dartmouth is better. (I.e., Cornell's chances in the championship game are better against Harvard than Dartmouth.)

Date: March 16, 2006 04:02PM

jy3
schoaff
Trotsky
schoaff

Are they your trees? ;-)

unless they are 'noles or 'canes fans :)

Damn, you're right. I better say it's for NASCAR then.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:47PM

I've been to 4 ECAC title game and seen Harvard in each. I'm sick of seeing them there, especially after a moderate season. Even we had the decency to take a year off ;) . Either play the whole season or go home!

I would love just to be able to cheer "con-so-la-tion" at them. And to see something a little different for once (note: not different enough to eliminate Cornell from the title game).

Meanwhile, multiple OTs are great - maybe not *too* *too* many, but pushing our game back some is fine - every OT we get pushed back is a little less rest for our guys the next day, but its a little less rest for the other team too, *plus* more time on the ice.

Posted by: Ken'70 (---.254.51.209.conversent.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:02PM

Cornell has more options for playing in an Eastern Regional, particularly Albany, if they lose to Dartmouth rather than Harvard in the final. If Cornell beats Colgate, regardless of what happens in the championship game, they'll stay east in almost any scenario where Miami doesn't win 2.

For example, if we lose to Dartmouth in final while Miami only wins one, with likely winners in all other conferences, we stay east with either BU or Maine winning HE. Changing only losing to Harvard in the final, a BU HE championship sends us west.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:27PM

I am so tired of Harvard. I'm rooting for Dartmouth. If Cornell doesn't do well this weekend, then I'd love the opportunity for the ECAC(HL) to sneak three teams into the NCAA's.

Posted by: finchphil (66.152.202.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:31PM

Three IVY teams in the NCAAs would be kind of nice
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2006 05:34PM by finchphil.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:36PM

While I'd love to see us beat Sucks again, I also like the idea of three ECAC teams in the NCAAs. Add to that the awful thought that if we do lose to Sucks, we have to look at their ugly mugs on the cover of the 2007 program. yark

Date: March 16, 2006 05:40PM

finchphil
It would also be better if Dartmouth lost to Harvard so it would knock Dartmouth out of the running for the NCAAs. Just about the only way they get in is to win the ECAC tournament. Harvard is likely in no matter what. Dartmouth could take away an at large bid from someone if they win the tourney, it is better for us to have them gone.
Huh? So you'd rather see fewer ECAC teams in because they haven't earned it? You obviously don't believe in the validity of a tournament deciding the league champion. Not that I really disagree, as I've stated many times here. But I'd much rather see someone get into the tournament on the basis of winning their league's championship, however defined, than on the basis of a set of numerical formulas.

For those who have run the numbers repeatedly, can Dartmouth get an at-large bid? They're currently 16 with no bonus and tied for 15th with the 3/2/1 bonus.

Date: March 16, 2006 05:42PM

Day dreaming at work, I'm trying to picture three Ivy teams making it to Milwaukee. Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth there would be! Especially if the fourth team were also from back east. Pleasant thoughts.

Date: March 16, 2006 05:44PM

KeithK
Day dreaming at work, I'm trying to picture three Ivy teams making it to Milwaukee. Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth there would be! Especially if the fourth team were also from back east. Pleasant thoughts.

Don't count on much help from Harvard. :-}

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:44PM

KeithK

I was hoping Avash would ask Vaughn about scholarships at his press conference...not sure if he did.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 06:05PM

KeithK

For those who have run the numbers repeatedly, can Dartmouth get an at-large bid? They're currently 16 with no bonus and tied for 15th with the 3/2/1 bonus.

I just ran one where they got to 14th, but they beat us for the Championship. So while they would have been at large they didn't need to get that high to make it. Make sense?

Date: March 16, 2006 06:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK

I just ran one where they got to 14th, but they beat us for the Championship. So while they would have been at large they didn't need to get that high to make it. Make sense?
I'd translate this as you haven't found a case where Dartmouth can get an at large bid.

Date: March 16, 2006 06:38PM

nyc94
KeithK

Don't count on much help from Harvard. :-}
I didn't say I thought this was probable or even remotely possible. I expect Harvard to go one and done, as usual. Just a pleasant day dream.

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 06:40PM

KeithK
finchphil
It would also be better if Dartmouth lost to Harvard so it would knock Dartmouth out of the running for the NCAAs. Just about the only way they get in is to win the ECAC tournament. Harvard is likely in no matter what. Dartmouth could take away an at large bid from someone if they win the tourney, it is better for us to have them gone.
Huh? So you'd rather see fewer ECAC teams in because they haven't earned it? You obviously don't believe in the validity of a tournament deciding the league champion. Not that I really disagree, as I've stated many times here. But I'd much rather see someone get into the tournament on the basis of winning their league's championship, however defined, than on the basis of a set of numerical formulas.

I think my point out of this is that it looks like Dartmouth has to win the tournament to get in (there may be a way to do it by winning Friday and losing on Saturday, but I haven't seen it). Which means that if Dartmouth gets in only by winning the tournament, then we don't win it. Which also could mean that we lose 2 games in this situation. We lose two games, we might not get in at all.

So is it better for for Dartmouth to win the tournament and Cornell hope to get in with one or two losses?

Having three IVY teams in the tournament would be great, but for this to happen it appears we would then have to root for Cornell NOT to win the ECAC tournament.

Date: March 16, 2006 06:41PM

finchphil
KeithK
finchphil

I think my point out of this is that it looks like Dartmouth has to win the tournament to get in (there may be a way to do it by winning Friday and losing on Saturday, but I haven't seen it). Which means that if Dartmouth gets in only by winning the tournament, then we don't win it. Which also could mean that we lose 2 games in this situation. We lose two games, we might not get in at all.

So is it better for for Dartmouth to win the tournament and Cornell hope to get in with one or two losses?

Having three IVY teams in the tournament would be great, but for this to happen it appears we would then have to root for Cornell NOT to win the ECAC tournament.

Again, just so long as Harvard doesn't win it.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 06:47PM

I'm not rooting for Harvard. I'm just rooting against Dartmouth Friday. Problem solved. :-)

Date: March 16, 2006 07:46PM

OK, I'm in agreement with you. I'd rather see Cornell win this weekend and Dartmouth go home than Dartmouth win the ECACs and both go to the NCAAs.

Posted by: Avash (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 12:53AM

atb9
KeithK

I was hoping Avash would ask Vaughn about scholarships at his press conference...not sure if he did.

Ha, no, he didn't ;-)

Hope you enjoyed the CHN ECAC Notebook nevertheless :-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 01:02PM

KeithK
OK, I'm in agreement with you. I'd rather see Cornell win this weekend and Dartmouth go home than Dartmouth win the ECACs and both go to the NCAAs.

Right, of course. Absolutely. Don't think there's a question about that. But of all the scenarios of us not winning, the scenario with us not winning the title game and Dartmouth getting the auto-bid, is the one I'd hate the least.

Date: March 17, 2006 01:35PM

DeltaOne81
KeithK

Right, of course. Absolutely. Don't think there's a question about that. But of all the scenarios of us not winning, the scenario with us not winning the title game and Dartmouth getting the auto-bid, is the one I'd hate the least.
Yup.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 17, 2006 06:12PM

5-0 in favor of Sucks...I guess you are not rooting for the Crimson now, are you?? screwy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login