Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Post-game beer on Friday and Saturday

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Post-game beer on Friday and Saturday
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:56PM

Given the controversy re: Jillians, do we know what's happening this year for the Saturday night post-game get together?

I'd also be interested in choosing a place in advance for Friday night, so I can avoid wandering around looking for people like last year.

Any suggestions?

Kyle

Re: Post-game beer on Friday and Saturday
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:01PM

Frankly, considering the cops were there, I can't harbor too much resentment towards Jillian's. And I have such great memories of the place from 2003 (and 2005 wasn't shabby either ;) ) that I have to still vote for that.

If I'm outvoted, I'll accept it. And if we end up back at the Crowne Plaza bar, so be it.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:07PM

What happened at Jillians? Some of us were (*sigh*) 3 week shy of our 21st birthday for the 2003 celebration.

Date: March 13, 2006 01:08PM

Last few posts in this thread:

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:15PM

Well, obviously I'm lacking details, because I'm confused as to the controversy in a restaurant taking appropriate measures to ensure they don't lose their liquor license.

Assuming they have a policy against underage entry, they can't be expected to let in those underage. Prickish, given the circumstances? Yes. Controversial? Meh.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:24PM

Jordan 04
Assuming they have a policy against underage entry, they can't be expected to let in those underage. Prickish, given the circumstances? Yes. Controversial? Meh.
I wouldn't even call them pricks; it is in the best interest of their business that they follow the law, even if the law is an ass. While I might like them to wink and show the underage patrons the way to the fire exit in the back, they are under no obligation to do so, and it would be a shame if they had to close because some neoprohibitionists had enough ammo from incidents like this to have their liquor license (another ridiculous notion IMO) revoked.

I merely said Jillian's was controversial because it stirred controversy, which is defined as "a dispute, especially a public one, between sides holding opposing views."

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:40PM

I could be wrong about this, so take the following with the appropriate grain of salt.

I am pretty sure Jillian's is a restaurant. And that if you show up at, say, 3:00 PM on say, Saturday afternoon you could eat there with your entire family, including kids.

I think that in 2003, they were in "restaurant" mode, allowing anyone in, and proofing people who wanted to consume alcohol. Although I did not make it to Jillian's in 2005, my understanding is that they did not allow anyone underage in. They chose not to operate in restaurant mode, and were, apparently, pretty rude to our players, their parents, and even Coach Schafer.

If you guys feel that warrants business from us, fine. But I'd be pretty surprised to find the team there this year.

Again, I could be wrong about any or all of this. I am not speaking for the team, or for anyone else for that matter. Obviously.
Andy W.

Edit:
Just called Jillian's in Albany. I asked if kids were allowed in. Was told "sure", with no qualifier. When I then asked, "At any hour?", was told that kids would not be allowed in after 9:00 PM.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 01:50PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Craine (---.pearsontc.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:43PM

Same way Dino's used to operate, no??? Restaurant during the day, bar at night...

Regardless, I would think that, at least for Saturday night, I'm gonna go drinkin' wherever the team is, and if that's Jillian's, cool.. If not, I'll follow 'em to wherever they're headed...

I certainly don't remember any issues there in '03, and unfortunately wasn't able to make Albany last year, so don't really know what happened there, but it did appear to be pretty much the only sizable place near the arena for a whole bunch of people to get together like we did in '03...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 02:45PM

Craine
I certainly don't remember any issues there in '03, and unfortunately wasn't able to make Albany last year, so don't really know what happened there, but it did appear to be pretty much the only sizable place near the arena for a whole bunch of people to get together like we did in '03...

'03 was infinitely more fun than '05. In '03, everybody was in one place, there were no carding issues, and the game was rebroadcast later in the evening so fans and players alike got to relive it in person. In '05, everything was shot to hell, and people atomized into a dozen different groups or just gave up.

Of course, if they can win it again this year, I won't care if we all get thrown in solitary for the night.

Posted by: DevilDerby (---.wadsworth.org)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:01PM

Jillians also has a little-known and randomly-enforced policy on baggy clothes. On two seperate occasions I have not been allowed in because, I s#it you not, my jeans were too large. At the exact same times, there were at least 50 Cornell fans inside in jerseys that don't fit too well without pads.

If we don't like Jillians, the Big House is another block down on the left. It was recently redone so that it is now known as the Skyline, but it is another large place with 4 (I think) floors of dining/drinking. Other than these two places, I dont think there are any bars in Albany that can deal with 200+ fans. FYI there is also a new hotel half a block away from the Skyline, only a short stumble away.

dd

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:03PM

Trotsky, totally agree with you!

Also in '03, band was there with us to greet the team at the hotel, in '05 they went home.

I'd rather not be atomized or give up, so wonder if there are any walking-distance alternatives to Jillian's.

Anyone?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:50PM

DevilDerby
Jillians also has a little-known and randomly-enforced policy on baggy clothes. On two seperate occasions I have not been allowed in because, I s#it you not, my jeans were too large. At the exact same times, there were at least 50 Cornell fans inside in jerseys that don't fit too well without pads.
Maybe it wasn't the clothes, maybe they just didn't like you. :-P

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:51PM

stupid question alert.

What if you not yet 21 but you are over 18... and DDing for someone who is deffinatly going to go to jillians and get sloshed? would they let me in under such circumstances (someone has to keep him out of trouble).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:55PM

Dpperk29
stupid question alert.

What if you not yet 21 but you are over 18... and DDing for someone who is deffinatly going to go to jillians and get sloshed? would they let me in under such circumstances (someone has to keep him out of trouble).
The law doesn't allow for that as far as I know. Sounds noble and all, but a loophole like that would be far too easy to abuse for underage drinkers.

Date: March 13, 2006 03:59PM

Man, I miss Mudpuddles up in Placid... I remember one year, they let everybody in, but if you were underage they would take your ID and give you a bracelet...

Of course, it was easy enough to just go into a bathroom, yank off the bracelet, and go back for your license the next day, but hey, who's complainin'???

Date: March 13, 2006 04:51PM

Craine
Man, I miss Mudpuddles up in Placid... I remember one year, they let everybody in, but if you were underage they would take your ID and give you a bracelet...

Of course, it was easy enough to just go into a bathroom, yank off the bracelet, and go back for your license the next day, but hey, who's complainin'???

Yeah, we weren't able to find any "over/under" bars like that in Albany. It was all rendered moot when Schafer said "follow us to Jillian's!" after the '03 title anyway.

If Schafer says something else this year (title or not), I don't think much we decide on here will make a difference :)

Date: March 13, 2006 04:53PM

DeltaOne81If Schafer says something else this year (title or not), I don't think much we decide on here will make a difference :)

- Yup, that's why, especially for Saturday, I'm just gonna head out whereever the team is, and that's not up to any of us... If the team is heading to Jillian's, that's where I'm drinkin'!!!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 04:53PM by Craine.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:15PM

Craine
- Yup, that's why, especially for Saturday, I'm just gonna head out whereever the team is, and that's not up to any of us... If the team is heading to Jillian's, that's where I'm drinkin'!!!!
And if they get on a bus after the consolation game and are back in their apartments in Ithaca on Saturday night, does that still hold?

Just sayin'...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login