Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Good luck to the Big Red

Good luck to the Big Red
Posted by: Voice of the Senators (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 08:16AM

A little late with my well wishes for this year's eventual NCAA champions, but better late than never!

While calling my game in Rochester last Friday night, I had the forum up on my laptop following the updates during commercial breaks (I also refuse to pay for internet feeds;-) otherwise I would have been listening during those breaks).

The past four months have been a total blur being part of a start-up operation on the pro level. As I result, I'm not sure if I ever did bid Cornell Hockey and its fans a farewell, but if this is redundant, please forgive me. I've meant to post a "goodbye" of sorts on here for awhile to all of the Cornell Hockey diehards that I've gotten know in some capacity over my 12 years of calling Big Red hockey. Whether it was a brief conversation at the rink, an e-mail correspondance, or just being the voice that brings the game home to you on the radio/internet, it was great to see and hear from the crazies that are "The Faithful".

It was with mixed feelings that I left, especially knowing how talented this squad would be in the coming season. But opportunities like this do not come along everyday. It's literally a 24/7 job and I'm loving most every minute of it. It sure beats a real job!

Our playoffs will be starting up during the Frozen Four in Buffalo, but, if for some strange reason my calendar is open on April 12th and my favorite college team is still playing, I'll utilize everything in my power to be at HSBC Arena as the Red takes a shot at the national title.

Thanks for the comments throughout various threads (although using the word "legendary" in front of my name is flattering but not appropriate). It was my pleasure being a Big Red fan (although not trying to be too much of a homer) that had the fortune of being the Voice of Big Red Hockey for a bit. While nobody likes change, welcome Adam warmly. Is he different than me? Sure is...but life would be boring if we were all the same. I wasn't anything close to Roy Ives, but folks eventually warmed up to me and my style (although, talking to some, it took about 8 years to finally say they liked my call...true, firsthand story from a long time Big Red fan admitting that to me several years back). Take care of Adam...his passion for Big Red hockey runs deep. You're in good hands (and voice) with him.

Re: Good luck to the Big Red
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 08:46AM

Best of luck to you, as well, Grady. The Red were lucky to have you as long as they did, and we're all grateful for your wonderful efforts. You brought astute professionalism and class where it was sorely needed, though Adam seems to be doing a fine job trying to fill your ample shoes. Hope to see you at a game or two if schedules permit.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 10:21AM

What Age said, Grady. All the best.

No offense to Adam, but it woulda been really tough missing out on your call of the games because of this CornellPass BS.

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 03:13PM

Thanks to Grady for allowing me the chance to sit in with him over the years, and for assisting in my transition.

As an undergrad at IC, one of my first experiences listening to Grady came during Spring Break -- sitting in our dorm room and listening to the 1991 Michigan-Cornell NCAA games. Yes ... instead of Cancun or Daytona Beach, I stayed in Ithaca and listened to Cornell hockey.

That was Grady's first year. In 1993, I began broadcasting Princeton games, and got to know Grady well. He was always extremely helpful to me.

"Calling a good game" is often a subjective thing, and while I think Grady does that, it's the "class and professionalism" that are indisputable hallmarks. And those have always been my No. 1 concern as a broadcaster too. That's the kind of broadcasting I was brought up on. Thankfully, Cornell affords the opportunity as broadcasters to be classy and professional -- because far too often in pro and college sports, all anyone wants is Schtick! Or sometimes, that's all the broadcaster is capable of. All style, no substance.

Broadcasters like to see other broadcasting jobs go to people who deserve them ... There's no doubt in my mind Grady was one of the best broadcasters in college hockey ... and his hiring in Binghamton was absolutely deserved.

The best to him, and my everlasting thanks.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 09:04PM

Grady,
All the best and I for one will miss listening to you for away games (and unfortunately more and more home games over the last few years :-)). But I am lucky because I can turn on my radio here in Vestal and hear you announce for our new BSens. I am hoping to catch some games come January in person, too.

Adam,
I was disappointed that I could not hear you over the web for the whole tOSU game but what I heard was great. I for one have no fears of you picking up where Grady left off and continuing in your own style, gusto, and professionalism. I enjoyed listening to you when CU played PU and I know that will continue when I am able to listen to home games :-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: November 05, 2002 09:16PM

Grady, I was one of those who never thought you could replace Roy Ives. After all, he was legendary;-) . Anyway, I appreciated the fact that you carried the broadcast more than a step further. The fact that the ECAC recognized your talent during the playoffs and the brief fling at "Around the ECAC", speaks to your professionalism. Good luck in the AHL (I only wish they could get rid of the piped in music).

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: November 07, 2002 10:17AM

Good luck in Binghamton, Grady. It was a pleasure to listen to you.

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: November 07, 2002 09:29PM

Thanks again, Grady. Seems like we have a mutual admiration society in the truest sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login