Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Clarkson, Game 2 POSTGAME

Posted by Jordan 04 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell vs. Clarkson, Game 2 POSTGAME
Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 02:45PM

I thought the crown was only ok this weekend. It got loud in OT and a few times toward the end of the 3rd period but there were stretches of relative quiet that was a bit dissapointing. At those points it felt more like a pre-season exhibition than the potential last playoff game at Lynah. That said, I was much more pleased that the crowd stayed put into the second OT on Saturday rather than on Friday when half of E, F and G were empty after the first OT.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 02:54PM

nr53
That said, I was much more pleased that the crowd stayed put into the second OT on Saturday rather than on Friday when half of E, F and G were empty after the first OT.

I actually think that some people thought the game ended in a tie after the first OT on Friday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 02:55PM by redhair34.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 02:59PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! laugh

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:01PM

redhair34
nr53
That said, I was much more pleased that the crowd stayed put into the second OT on Saturday rather than on Friday when half of E, F and G were empty after the first OT.

I actually think that some people thought the game ended in a tie after the first OT on Friday.

It was probably cutting seriously into Frat party time :-(

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:10PM

here is something for you all to chew on about the linesman making the call. As an official, I have discovered that infractions that happen right in front of you (within 5 feet) at the hardest to call, simply because you are a.) worried about not getting killed and b.) your field of view is so restricted, unless you are looking directly at the players, you miss it or don't see the whole thing.

now, many a time as a linesman have I told the ref to call something and he says "No, I saw it differently" or "No, I didn't call it in the beginning I am not going to call it now". Ultimatly Hansen had the final say, and it is seems to me that he made his call based on the trust he has in his linesman and he didn't see it.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:11PM

I just got back from Ithaca, my first time there. My thoughts, in a nutshell:

We pulled in about 3:30 ( which made for a 3 1/2 hour drive, yes we were driving at a good clip and no stops). Had a couple of cocktails at Ruloff's I like the place and the proximity.
We were suprised at the lack of hotels/motels in college town. We found the Chapter House and enjoyed that very much, since we wanted to stay on foot, we checked in at the Hillside, tough place, but we had fun with it (If my wife ever divorces me and takes my every dime this is the place I blow my brains out)... seeing it was in between the chapter house and the hot truck was key...location location location:-P
My friend and I really liked the gorge that cuts though College town, it was great to see.

The game was dominated by Cornell, I disagree with some early posts "it sould have been 6-0, Clarkson should not have been in the game......etc" We were the 8 seed playing at the 3 seed. I think our job was to keep the score close so that we can STEAL a game and both nites we had opportunites to steal the game. Had we won 3-2 in 2ot and been out shot 50 to 25 I would have been thrilled. I don't care about moral victories just the final score.

The hit from behind, In the context of what they have been calling all year, I think it was a 5 min. I dont think it was a DQ and I don't think it was malicious. Dodge, did he act it up, sure, would have been stupid if he didn't. Will the video show differently maybe, but the linesman doesn't have that luxury.

I sat right behind McKee, looked shaky at times but was not tested consistently.

Tough two losses for our guys, if it doesn't kill ya it will make you stronger.
I was not a fan of the antics after the game, breaking sticks etc.. I hate that shit....young or not, I just don't like it.

I walked over to Section C to intorduce myself, I met Andy,wished him luck, he said Beeeej was on the other side of C, I walked over and was not able to find him. I was wearing a green Clarkson Poncho.

Well that's it for us this year, see ya next year, good luck along the way this year, however far your travels take you.

Cheers,
Drew

PS
The lynah crowd was good, the students were vocal and into it the entire nite. I loved the hot truck advertisement on the scoreboard, good stuff!

Date: March 12, 2006 03:34PM

thats what i heard from the dumb girls sitting behind me

"oh my god!!! i should have been to his party 20 minutes ago! if we don't score soon i'm leaving"

yark

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:49PM

I agree that there were some quiet points, but I think a lot of that has to do with nervousness when such a tight game continues for a long time with no goals or specific, energizing plays to rally around. I think most people become tense and more focused on the game and therefore less boisterous. Every time something exciting happened for either team the crowd got much louder. Despite the more quiet parts, carrying on the amount of noise we did throughout 4 1/2 periods is far beyond anything I have seen at the other rinks I have been to. For example, Gutterson supposedly has a good atmosphere, but in the 4-5 times I have been there they have not really been that loud except when Vermont scores. We at least fill most dead spots with a good round of Let's Go Red! Except for their small student section, Cheel was totally dead the last couple of times I was there, and I even had some old lady get mad at me for loudly cheering on Cornell last year. (no swears or anything, just enthusiastic) It seemed like she thought we should all politely applaud like at play or something.

Date: March 12, 2006 03:52PM

What was their reaction? I was in F so I saw the balloon finally get sent into their section, but I couldn't tell what they did.

PUHLEEZE.......
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:53PM

It's not "dirty" but it IS illegal.... Simple. Unfortunately, the rule is what it is. In lacrosse if the hittee turns so as to cause a hit to become illegal, the rules specify that no penalty be called. Hockey doesn't have that specification as far as I know. Hence illegal.

BUT NOT DIRTY!

Re: PUHLEEZE.......
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 03:59PM

TimV
In lacrosse if the hittee turns so as to cause a hit to become illegal, the rules specify that no penalty be called. Hockey doesn't have that specification as far as I know.

I don't think they do either, and they definitely should IMO.

Date: March 12, 2006 04:01PM

the person who caught it looked at the balloon, looked at us chearing, back at the balloon and the back at us with a look of disbelief on her face. I think they were pretty speachless. Who knows, if we were lucky it might have been his sister...er mom... um family-web member nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:02PM

Drew
We were suprised at the lack of hotels/motels in college town. We found the Chapter House and enjoyed that very much, since we wanted to stay on foot, we checked in at the Hillside, tough place, but we had fun with it (If my wife ever divorces me and takes my every dime this is the place I blow my brains out)... seeing it was in between the chapter house and the hot truck was key...location location location:-P

And the Hillside gains another convert. :-D There used to be a place called the Collegetown Motor Lodge, but it went under long ago, so if you want to walk back from the Chapter House, Dunbar's or Hot Truck, it's basically the Hillside or the Statler.

Drew
The hit from behind, In the context of what they have been calling all year, I think it was a 5 min.

That's the key thing. A hit from behind into the boards has consistently been 5 + a game this season.

Drew
The lynah crowd was good, the students were vocal and into it the entire nite. I loved the hot truck advertisement on the scoreboard, good stuff!

So what did you think of Hot Truck itself?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:07PM

Hey Drew,

First of, awesome post. Nice to get the other perspective without attitude insults attached to it. Thanks.

Drew
We pulled in about 3:30 ( which made for a 3 1/2 hour drive, yes we were driving at a good clip and no stops). Had a couple of cocktails at Ruloff's I like the place and the proximity.
We were suprised at the lack of hotels/motels in college town.

Yeah, its all too valuable living real estate. There use to be the Collegetown Motor Inn where that open parking lot is now (at the corner of College/Dryden - on your left as you walk down Dryden from that intersection). But that was torn down sometime in the late 90s. I only know about it thanks to my dad, class of '73.

There *is* a little B&B down on College Ave, but you probably woulda had to ask here to know about it. And even then most Cornellians probably don't. I guess I'm not even sure if it's still there, but I stayed there when we visited Cornell in the summer of '98, and I know it was there for at least most of my time on the hill.

We found the Chapter House and enjoyed that very much, since we wanted to stay on foot, we checked in at the Hillside, tough place, but we had fun with it (If my wife ever divorces me and takes my every dime this is the place I blow my brains out)

Best... description... of the Hillside... *ever*. :-D I think I'll be quoting that for years to come if you don't mind ;)

But yeah, other than that little hidden B&B and the Statler ($$$), its the only thing within walking distance of the Cornell campus. Otherwise you have to stay downtown or up near East hill plaza. Which I guess is walkable if you're really in the mood for some exercise :).

My friend and I really liked the gorge that cuts though College town, it was great to see.

Ithaca *is* gorges :)

I'm not gonna waste everyone's valuable space and bandwidth by quoting your whole post on the game, but I think your take is very fair. Certainly a different perspective as ours, but you're right, your guys had the opportunity to steal both games and that's about all you can ask. Hopefully you and your guys can be in Albany one of these years when the path *doesn't* run through Ithaca. ;)

Date: March 12, 2006 04:38PM

JTW, I love the entire Hot Truck Concept and I went for "The Full Sui" It seemed most apropo after the 2 double OT losses and the Hillside accomodations :-D it was great!

Delta, We were going to stay at the Statler, but we got a load of the hillside and both of us could not stop laughing, we were home....it was just missing Archie Bunker, since they already had his furniture.

Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you guys. Next time.

Drew
Clarkson '90
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 05:10PM by Drew.

It was incredibly loud on the webcast...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:51PM

When the OB hit extended power play was successfully killed and the Red made their first offensive thrust up ice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 04:53PM by TimV.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 12, 2006 05:04PM

Warning: Middle-Aged Codger Pontificating Follows

nr53
......I was much more pleased that the crowd stayed put into the second OT on Saturday rather than on Friday when half of E, F and G were empty after the first OT.

What???????? Are you serously saying that a large number of students actually left after the first OT?

That is absolutely unacceptable. Take names and photos and do not allow them season tickets next year (or just have them send me their Harvard tickets :)). If they are seniors make them promise to travel to Albany on their knees.

These are students. It is not like they have a baby sitter at home waiting for them or something (Note: I have been out of school for a while. Perhaps they do:)) If they didn't understand that there was another overtime then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

We are not called the Lynah Faithful becuase we attend when it is convenient. It is a priviledge that comes with some serious responsibility. You scream and cheer when the team is up and even more when the team is down. If the Big Red lose and you can still talk then you did not do your job. You schedule your social and academic life around the games (I once dropped a class becuase the prelim conflicted with a Clarkson regular season game). You do NOT walk out of a game in OT - ever. The fact that it was during a playoff game that has ECAC and NCAA ramifications is mind boggling.

Red-faced Roy:-(
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 11:21PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 12, 2006 05:08PM

Roy 82

nr53
......I was much more pleased that the crowd stayed put into the second OT on Saturday rather than on Friday when half of E, F and G were empty after the first OT.

What???????? Are you serously saying that a large number of students actually left after the first OT?

That is absolutely unacceptable. Take names and photos and do not allow them season tickets next year (or just have them send me their Harhard tickets :)). If they are seniors make them promise to travel to Albany on their knees.

These are students. It is not like they have a baby sitter at home waiting for them or something (Note: I have been out of school for a while. Perhaps they do:)) If they didn't understand that there was another overtime then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

We are not called the Lynah Faithful becuase we attend when it is convenient. It is a priviledge that comes with some serious responsibility. You scream and cheer when the team is up and even more when the team is down. If the Big Red lose and you can still talk then you did not do your job. You schedule your social and academic life around the games (I once dropped a class becuase the prelim conflicted with a Clarkson regular season game). You do NOT walk out of a game in OT - ever. The fact that it was during a playoff game that has ECAC and NCAA ramifications is mind boggling.

Red-faced Roy:-(

Kids today! Don't respect nothing! I blame these iPods I keep hearing about. :-P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 05:22PM

The LGR right after we killed off the seven minutes of penalties was one of the loudest I have ever heard in several years of Cornell hockey games. It made my ears ring.

That said, I was dissapointed with the idiots who threw things on the ice both on Friday and Saturday. I yelled at a few people who I saw throwing things. It's really sad they even exist though. Maybe next year we'll get a ticket process that allows fewer facetimer...but probably not:-/ help

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 05:34PM

Drew
JTW, I love the entire Hot Truck Concept and I went for "The Full Sui" It seemed most apropo after the 2 double OT losses and the Hillside accomodations :-D it was great!

Delta, We were going to stay at the Statler, but we got a load of the hillside and both of us could not stop laughing, we were home....it was just missing Archie Bunker, since they already had his furniture.

Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you guys. Next time.

Drew
Clarkson '90
By choosing the Hillside over the Statler you saved a LOT of bucks.rolleyes

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:27PM

Roy 82

While I accept you're a codger (you were something of a codger even when we were in school ;-) ), I will not accept you - or myself - as middle aged. Matured like a fine wine maybe, but never middle aged. rolleyes

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:30PM

Drew

Glad you liked the Truck.

--a former Hot Truck employee

Date: March 12, 2006 07:53PM

I liked the hot truck employee's response to one drunk impatient underclassman "Yeah, you can have it now, or you can have it right, YOUR CHOICE!"

Re: Leggio was a big baby
Date: March 12, 2006 08:06PM

Yes and McKee reciprocated with a big hug, and before you call him a baby let's remember the kid played in 2 double OT losses..Do I condone it? No not even close. But I won't kill the kid.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posted by: redhair34 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:16PM

Drew
Yes and McKee reciprocated with a big hug, and before you call him a baby let's remember the kid played in 2 double OT losses..Do I condone it? No not even close. But I won't kill the kid.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -- Teddy Roosevelt

One of my all time favorite quotes. And I completely agree with you re: Leggio. After battling like that for 180+ minutes of hockey on the weekend it's understandable that his emotions got the best of him. When Greg asks for TBRW "Most Respected Opponent" nominations this spring you can be sure that I will suggest Leggio. I'm glad you enjoyed Ithaca (especially the Chapter House and the Hot Truck--two of my favorite Ithaca institutions). And I hope you liked Lynah enough to pay us a visit post-renovation.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:30PM

Drew
I liked the hot truck employee's response to one drunk impatient underclassman "Yeah, you can have it now, or you can have it right, YOUR CHOICE!"
I am so thrilled to hear that one of them finally said this. Few things piss me off more than the idiots at Hot Truck who make a scene when they figure out they have to wait for their sandwich to be made to order. Why don't you pile into your Escalade and come back in half an hour, morons.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:37PM

some things about this weekend...
first, the games were well-worth the inflated price we paid to go to them.

leggio looked much better as the series progressed, after the second period of game one he really was consistent and solid. nothing too flashy and sometimes overaggressive but he deserves a nod after those two nights.

Cornell had long stretches of domination during both games interrupted by clarkson pressure and taking advantage of mistakes. I disagree with whomever stated that clarkson did not earn their goals. when you stay in the game and play transition you get scrappy goals. you take advantage of turnovers in the slot, you throw the puck at the net. cornell teams have been there before...

the OB penalty looked to me to be the product of the player turning after OB was committed to the hit. this is not a penalty in the NHL. it usually is not a penalty in the ncaa. i have not seen the replay.

clarkson needs to quit taking penalties while on the PP. whether it is Roll going onto the ice (after OB??) or a clarkson player doing it on the ice, they KILLED most of their PP by taking penalties. that hurts badly.

the cornell D looked solid besides the turnovers that lead to goals. consistent use of the safety D man on breakout, solid backchecking by the forwards, great use of the pokecheck, solid use of hits and the boards. overall an excellent effort.

I hope mckee got the fluke goals out of his system this weekend. that blue liner was a knuckle puck but normally he makes that save.

the fans in E and D and F were great. they all stood, they were loud and reactive. i was impressed and remembered my days in D (best seats in the house)

for whomever commented on clarkson players handing out a little extra and cheap shots, cornell is not innocent.

the officiating was horrible both ways in my opinion. plenty of missed dangerous calls. too much crosschecking in front of the net for sure. the disallowed goal friday was horrible.

kudos to clarkson for a great series. this series will go far in educating the cornell team. they know what it takes to play a FULL game, whether it be 60 or 90 minutes long. the freshman will learn a lot for sure.

wish i could be there friday. we will be in town saturday but not at the games.
we will be watching cstv though :)
lgr!

Date: March 12, 2006 08:39PM

thats the beauty of phones. call it in and by the time you walk from collegetown to west its pretty much done :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:48PM

Drew

Damon Runyon
"It may not be that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong -- but that is the way to bet."
... especially this past weekend: 113 shots on goal to 55.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:49PM

Good enough an explanation for me. By the way, Hansen still sucks! :-P

Date: March 12, 2006 09:03PM

Bill, Shots are very indicative of which team carries the play. However, I am Machiavellian by nature, and if we won both games in 2 OT and were outshot 400-8 so be it. All I can ask was that my team give me a chance to win each game. They gave me that. That is why the losses sat "OK" in my belly.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 12, 2006 09:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Roy 82

While I accept you're a codger (you were something of a codger even when we were in school ;-) ), I will not accept you - or myself - as middle aged. Matured like a fine wine maybe, but never middle aged. rolleyes

Speak for yourself. I have not matured one bit since I left school. smashfreak

[Now don't get me started on why you showed up on the forum halfway into the game asking what the score was. I hope it was a very good dinner

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 09:29PM

Sorry I missed you, Drew - I didn't spend an awful lot of intermission time at my seat either night. If I'd known you were coming I'd have been there. :-)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 12, 2006 09:55PM

No worries. Good Luck in Albany!
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 10:45PM

Drew

RichH, jmh, and I each ended up with a "luxury" room at the Hillside the weekend of the Hahvahd game. (Double bed instead of twin.) I'm not sure if it's because we're regular customers or just hockey fans.

Posted by: jpb58 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 11:15PM

I feel proud to know I brought utter disbelief and disgust to fan of clarkson. Probably after seeing this balloon, she could not believe how she could cheer for such an ugly sieve. I wish there were more games, I would send a balloon to O every time with a new message. LGR!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.156.255.6.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:42AM

On Hansen:

Reasonably well-reffed games except for the quick whistles and a reluctance to call matching minors when appropriate. For the whistles, he's got to learn to let the puck have at least the chance to have hit the ice before whistling. On the goal called off in last night's game, he was screened and could not possibly have known whether Leggio had squeezed the puck.

On the matching minors, I think that the game got a bit chippier as time went on due to the lack of calls. It's all well and good to "let them play" a bit, but guys need to have a seat when things become too heated. It also allows for more 4x4 hockey, which seems to result in open ice and rushes.

On Roll:

A few years ago, when they hired him, I thought Roll was going to do a great job at Clarkson. Now, I'm not so sure, and basically that's due to his in-game behavior. He seems to be a good enough recruiter, but you can't lose composure like that. His assistant coaches seem to react in much the same way to things. It's just like Gaudet and Dartmouth: if a coach acts undisciplined on the bench, his players will play undisciplined hockey. Roll certainly deserves a "throw your clip-board / clap-clap-clapclapclap" for his efforts in helping us win the game last night.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:58AM

Scersk '97
Roll certainly deserves a "throw your clip-board / clap-clap-clapclapclap" for his efforts in helping us win the game last night.
That one definitely has to be filed away for next year.

Hey, 137 posts in this thread and no RichS! I wonder where he is. upto

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:55AM

Would you guys stop asking for 'him'. I say 'him' because that's the second time someone has asked about 'him' and I'm afraid that this is a Beetlejuice like thing - and if the name is said 3 times he's going to come spinning up in all his maniacal glory.

So, shhhhh.... yark (<-- not a lips-sealed face, but could be mistaken for one)

Date: March 13, 2006 07:36PM

That could be a good tradition to start. We could find out which opposing player will have the "honor" of being on the balloon each game. Not quite the same as John Madden's horse trailer. :-D

Date: March 13, 2006 07:42PM

When I was at the game I didn't think much of the disallowed goal. It was at the other end so I believed the call. When I watched the replay however, the puck was clearly behind Leggio and still free when it was knocked in. Jason even commented on this. I guess this weekend was kind of like pick up basketball: highest score but win by two.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 07:50PM

Scersk '97
On Roll:

A few years ago, when they hired him, I thought Roll was going to do a great job at Clarkson. Now, I'm not so sure,

It's just like Gaudet and Dartmouth:
Yeah, I'm sure that Clarkson would be upset if they suddenly started finishing first in the league.rolleyes After all,then they could start losing in the tourney again.:-)

I could never understand this he's not a good coach routine. All Gaudet has done is to bring D'mouth back to hockey prominence. All Roll has done is take Clarkson to two great recruiting classes, make them a difficult team to beat and sow the seeds for an ECAC contender. If I was at either of those schools now I'd be very happy for the direction they were going.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:01PM

[q]I could never understand this he's not a good coach routine. All Gaudet has done...[/q]Clutch and grab! Clutch and grab! Or maybe that was Princeton. No, Brown. Princeton! Brown! ... :-D

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:10PM

KeithK
[q]I could never understand this he's not a good coach routine. All Gaudet has done...[/q]Clutch and grab! Clutch and grab! Or maybe that was Princeton. No, Brown. Princeton! Brown! ... :-D
Or maybe what they used to say about us.

Date: March 13, 2006 08:21PM

We do er... I mean did. innocent

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:23PM

Drew
We do er... I mean did. innocent

Uh oh! Not the you-know-who face! ;)

Date: March 13, 2006 08:43PM

LMAO.....innocent eyes, not roll eyes.

You can say it Voldemort!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 09:09PM by Drew.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.156.255.170.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:34AM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
On Roll:

A few years ago, when they hired him, I thought Roll was going to do a great job at Clarkson. Now, I'm not so sure,

It's just like Gaudet and Dartmouth:
Yeah, I'm sure that Clarkson would be upset if they suddenly started finishing first in the league.rolleyes After all,then they could start losing in the tourney again.:-)

I could never understand this he's not a good coach routine. All Gaudet has done is to bring D'mouth back to hockey prominence. All Roll has done is take Clarkson to two great recruiting classes, make them a difficult team to beat and sow the seeds for an ECAC contender. If I was at either of those schools now I'd be very happy for the direction they were going.

Well, what I said is that I'm "not so sure." When a team is good and playing in playoff and championship games, many of those games are going to be close. One has to assume the emotion and motivation are already there, so the team that stays composed and clinical in the face of potential wildness is often going to come out on top. Hockey is an emotional game, but the emotion involved is best tempered with discipline to produce steely resolve rather than blovational berserking.

They may be good coaches, and both teams may be on the upswing, but that hasn't yet translated into championships. Great coaches help their teams win championships instead of hurting those chances with a lack of discipline.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:44AM

Drew

YESSSSSSS, he played really really well. Too bad it ended in an ugly explosion from the tremendous dedication and effort he has put in for his team. We can only hope that Mckee will save half as many shots as Leggio did if an opponent is ever to pepper us with 50+ shots in the future... But I highly doubt Mckee would come close. He'll allow a soft goal or get screened every once in a while and there'll be people rushing to his defense with "oh no, but he was left out to dry... the defensemen didn't help him at all... etc." So surely it can never be Mckee's fault

And I wonder what was going through the referee's head when players were breaking their sticks and screaming (most likely swearing) right in his face after the game and he couldn't do anything about it because the game was over and he had already become powerless at that point. He must have felt useless.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:17AM

Oat
And I wonder what was going through the referee's head when players were breaking their sticks and screaming (most likely swearing) right in his face after the game and he couldn't do anything about it because the game was over and he had already become powerless at that point.

I doubt he's powerless. If he had given an underclass Clarkson player a DQ for something particularly heinous, what would stop the league from enforcing it on the first game of the 2006-07 season?

And for that matter, he can always remember the jersey number. No, they aren't supposed to do that. Yes, of course they do, they're human.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:43PM

Oat
Drew

YESSSSSSS, he played really really well. Too bad it ended in an ugly explosion from the tremendous dedication and effort he has put in for his team.

And I wonder what was going through the referee's head when players were breaking their sticks and screaming (most likely swearing) right in his face after the game and he couldn't do anything about it because the game was over and he had already become powerless at that point. He must have felt useless.

No, I didn't get lost or mugged in Ithaca, but am still swamped at work since I got back. In case anyone cares...lol.

Glad to see that a few folks here recognize Leggio's play in both games, after the second night, even if it took comparing it to McKee's less impressive performance to do so.

I saw the game-end activity and would not characterize Leggio's as an "ugly explosion." It wasn't a tantrum, but rather, he skated directly to the ref contending that the GWG came off a high stick deflection. Sure he showed that he was upset that the goal was allowed, but if you watched him after that, you saw that he composed himself and showed a look of disappointment and sheer exhaustion, one that was well-earned. I think Grenzy's stick-breaking attempts came after one of the officials denied his plea for that same call. And yes, that was ugly, and no, I don't condone it either but I understand, as anyone who plays or coaches or parents a player should, the emotion that's involved in a series like this. The denouement of that game was an excellent manifestation of "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

And I expect that the officials take that into consideration. The players' behavior was understandable, if not laudable. I watched one ass't ref patiently but repeatedly point at the bench, telling a couple of Clarkson players to leave the ice. Well done. I expect that in that situation, it would take a more physical or dangerous act to merit the kind of punishment Trotsky referred to.

As a point of reference, I recall watching a similar end-of-OT protest in a game cornell played at Cheel several years ago. The shoe was on the other foot as cornell players besieged the officials looking for a wave-off. There was stick banging there too. Not a big deal. So guys, before you rip on the Clarkson kids so much, keep in mind that it happens all over, including involving the red on the losing end.

Lastly, I would not be so harsh on McKee. True, he was not brilliant in the two games, and yes the first goal he allowed Saturday was a softie. But he didn't need to be brilliant, and he has his teammates to thank for that. Some nights, a goalie picks them up and other times, they pick him up. Also, in both nights, he made the big saves when called upon including in OT, and that's what you need in big games.

Now if he allows another flutterball like Brekelmans' goal late in a close playoff game or OT, then you can go crazy. A litle.

Enjoy Albany, and good luck.

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:55PM

Oat
Drew

We can only hope that Mckee will save half as many shots as Leggio did if an opponent is ever to pepper us with 50+ shots in the future...

Boy that's a pretty low standard. I suspect if he were on target to save half as many shots Schafer would pull him after the 20th goal or so.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:29PM

Rich S
I expect that in that situation, it would take a more physical or dangerous act to merit the kind of punishment Trotsky referred to.

Agreed. Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating any sort of punishment of the Clarkson players, I was just pointing out that an official's power doesn't necessarily expire with the game. Losing that sort of series in that way was so heartbreaking that if I were reffing I would give them tremendous leeway. Nobody slugged anybody or threw anything into the crowd. It just wasn't that big a deal, and, as I said, at the point fo physical and emotional exhaustion, that sort of disappointment can provoke an extremely emotional reaction in anybody.

Leggio is, IMHO, the winner of the Opponent of the Year Award, unless something unbelievable happens from now through the end of the season. I recall Brian Hayward putting on that sort of exhibition under fire in the eaely 1980's, and Doug Dadswell doing so to win an ECAC title (against Clarkson no less) in 1986. But other than that, I have rarely seen a goaltender save his team from oblivion, literally, a dozen times, two nights running.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:18PM

Trotsky
But other than that, I have rarely seen a goaltender save his team from oblivion, literally, a dozen times, two nights running.
Laing Kennedy was a childlhood hero. 1962 ECAC Holiday Tournament. Cornell lost to Clarkson 3-8 and St. Lawrence 0-8. Laing had 60+ saves each night and was named tournament MVP. I was listening on the radio from Ithaca.

Drew guy from Clarkson
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:35PM

Aw I was at the game but I did not get to meet this mysterious Drew character.

Re: Drew guy from Clarkson
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 01:04AM

Oat
Aw I was at the game but I did not get to meet this mysterious Drew character.

I believe I briefly got to meet Rich S on Saturday—I was sitting behind a man decked out in Clarkson gear from head to waist (slacker) that only introduced himself as “Rich.” If so, he was sitting in Section O, Row 4, Seat 4ish. I didn’t offer my name and we exchanged very few words directly. The dude didn't seem sketchy but, surprise!, he acted like a serious homer during the game (which he is certainly allowed to do). After the game, I complimented the Clarkson fans on the effort of their team and the consistency of their goalie. Rich was upset about the result but confident that their highly talented squad was only a year or two away from making a big splash. I let him have the last word.

Posted by: Karlmoose (207.10.126.---)
Date: March 15, 2006 07:45AM

I thought the Clarkson crowd was pretty good this weekend. That is, except for those band members that thought it was pretty funny to do the Nazi salute before the 3rd to "imitate" the Cornell crowd. Pretty classy.

Re: Drew guy from Clarkson
Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:06AM

Well Oat, next time let me know what section you are in and I will swing by, or you can always meet me in front of the Hot Truck around 1:30 am ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:23AM

Remember, kids: dressing up like Hitler in school ... isn't cool.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:43AM

jtwcornell91
Unless you're Prince Harry.

[images.google.com]

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:39AM

billhoward
jtwcornell91
Unless you're Prince Harry.

[images.google.com]

[royal watcher] Nah, wasn't cool even for him. He got a lot of criticism for that, had to apologize formally, I believe was scolded by the queen. [/royal watcher]

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 03:23PM

jtwcornell91
LynahFaithfulS
schoaff
Nice that Moulson had both OT winners
i thought friday's was sawada...
though, i don't know what you mean here (so maybe you should ignore that last commment?)...
schoaff
(even if we had to convert the extra point after the first one).

I believe schoaff was returning to Moulson's GWG at the end of the first OT Friday night.
ohhhhhh...i get it...thanks

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login