Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Albany tickets in the Cornell section

Posted by Kyle Rose 
Albany tickets in the Cornell section
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 11, 2006 10:53PM

I waste no time.

When do tickets in the Cornell section go on sale (by phone) at the ticket office?

LGR!!!!

Cheers,
Kyle

Re: Albany tickets in the Cornell section
Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:07PM

make sure you get the tix in the lower level. back in 03 they shoved us up in the bleachers.

i would assume cornell box office sells em monday morning to students/townies

already on sale at pepsi arena

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:13PM

Check out the link in the article on the ecac site; it gives the game times, ticket prices, etc.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:14PM

A-19
make sure you get the tix in the lower level. back in 03 they shoved us up in the bleachers.

i would assume cornell box office sells em monday morning to students/townies

already on sale at pepsi arena
Well, since there's zero chance of it selling out, my only concern is getting into the Cornell section, so I'll call the ticket office on Monday.

Thanks,
Kyle

Posted by: Kvet (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:53PM

Tickets go on sale at the Cornell office Monday morning at 10am.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 12:18AM

You gotta love that $8 per ticket service charge through the Pepsi Arena site.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:16AM

krose
Well, since there's zero chance of it selling out, my only concern is getting into the Cornell section, so I'll call the ticket office on Monday.

Thanks,
Kyle

I wouldn't sweat it. I never buy tickets in the Cornell section, and always wind up sitting there. Most people just don't care which seat they're in just as long as they're close to the Cornell section. And a lot of people don't want to stand all game, so there's a lot of seat shuffling because of that, too.

Bleachers?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:01AM

?

Re: Bleachers?
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 09:47AM

marty
?

It wasn't bleachers, but rather the upper tier of the arena. It still wasn't a terrible view of the action, though.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 10:39AM

I believe we are going to be in the corner 107-111. That's what I remember from talking to the Capital District club. They have a group already purchased and were told that we would be in that corner "if" we were there, regardless of our seeding. For those who can't get through to CU, if you want to be sure you can call group sales at the Pepsi.

Posted by: cmoberg (---.pivot.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:49AM

Humm, I just got off the phone with Mike in group sales at the Pepsi Arena. He said 102/103 were the tickets sent to the Cornell Ticket office.

Chris

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:51AM

So, I probably don't plan on calling first thing at 10 am. I know between the window and the phones, those guys are busy as all heck for the first while. But if anyone wants to report back status ("like, uh oh, I just ordered mine and they said they're almost out";), I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Somehow I don't expect that, but updates are always good.

Date: March 13, 2006 10:04AM

Seating Chart

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:59AM

DeltaOne81
So, I probably don't plan on calling first thing at 10 am. I know between the window and the phones, those guys are busy as all heck for the first while. But if anyone wants to report back status ("like, uh oh, I just ordered mine and they said they're almost out";), I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Just got back from buying tickets at the Cornell ticket office. They indeed did have sections 101, 102, and 103, which surprised us. They did not have complete sections. In fact, they said that the Pepsi Arena had sent alternate rows. Why, I have no idea. (We wanted to get five seats together in two adjacent rows (2 in one row, three in the other), but of course with the arena having sent alternate rows, this was not possible.

Anyway, that's the scoop.
Andy W.

Date: March 13, 2006 11:02AM

The group sales office has a limited number of seats left in section 101. I was able to secure to adjacent aisle seats in 101 on the 102 side. Was the Cornell Ticket office selling even or odd?

Chris

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:06AM

Just came back off the ticket line and seats are indeed in 103-102-101...(what in past years was the Sucks section)...
Today's line is for townies only. Tomorrow's line is for students. Each of us gets our own section...with random others thrown in (Pepsi has been selling seats in these sections and we were sent what's left....)

Date: March 13, 2006 11:12AM

So are you suggesting that tomorrow the students will be sold seats in a different corner? That would be very distruptive to organized cheering. Also, mixing fans from 2 schools in one corner seems like a recipe for disaster.

Chris

Date: March 13, 2006 11:15AM

cmoberg
The group sales office has a limited number of seats left in section 101. I was able to secure to adjacent aisle seats in 101 on the 102 side. Was the Cornell Ticket office selling even or odd?

Chris

I'm not sure what you mean by even or odd. The ticket office was selling entire rows, or at least pieces of rows. Just not adjacent rows.

If this helps, we wound up with Section 103, Row J, Seats 1,2,6,7,8. We're hoping that with 1,2 being on the aisle, some kind soul in seats 5 and 6, or in the row behind or the row in front of 6,7,8 might be willing to switch with us, to get better (aisle) seats.

Chris--perhaps you can help me answer a question that the ticket office could not. Are the 1,2 seats we have in Section 103 on the aisle with Section 104 or Section 102? If the seating is consistent from section to section, and your seats in Section 101, near 102 are low numbered that should mean that our seats are on the aisle with 104. Thanks, and hope the above helps.
Andy

Date: March 13, 2006 11:18AM

cmoberg
So are you suggesting that tomorrow the students will be sold seats in a different corner? That would be very distruptive to organized cheering. Also, mixing fans from 2 schools in one corner seems like a recipe for disaster.

Chris

I'm not suggesting that at all. I think the student tickets are also going to be sold from the sections listed earlier. Or perhaps from adjacent sections. I have absolutely no reason to believe that Cornell was sent two blocks of tickets, in different corners of the rink.

Of course I also have no idea why Cornell was sent alternate rows, so who knows.
Andy W.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:19AM

cmoberg

Chris

I wish there were some way to get the students (or recent alums, whatever) to stand on their own in a few sections. Whenever we're away from Lynah, and the people who like to sit are mixed in with the people who are used to standing, it inevitably saps all of our energy. Ideas, anyone? Does anyone even agree with me?

Date: March 13, 2006 11:26AM

The low numbered seats are on the left edge of each section. My seats are in 101. So your seats look to be on the 104 side of 103.

By non adjacent rows I took it to mean that we might have row ( A and C ) but not ( B ). Or it might have been ( B and D ) and not ( A and C ). Anyway, I have row E (5), seats 6,7 (which are the aisle because of the triangular nature of the section)

Perhaps the Students are getting the other rows in the same sections? Groups sales did not indicate any other sections for Cornell when I talked to them.

Chris

Date: March 13, 2006 11:29AM

BTW, my wife and I are rather distant alums (class of 80 and 79) but we would be happy to stand. We go with the flow.

Chris

Date: March 13, 2006 11:34AM

cmoberg

By non adjacent rows I took it to mean that we might have row ( A and C ) but not ( B ). Or it might have been ( B and D ) and not ( A and C ). Anyway, I have row E (5), seats 6,7 (which are the aisle because of the triangular nature of the section)

Perhaps the Students are getting the other rows in the same sections? Groups sales did not indicate any other sections for Cornell when I talked to them.

Chris

Thanks for the info on the seat numbering. As for the adjacent rows, I doubt the ticket office is purposely "intertwining" the students with everyone else. I think the ticket office was simply sent alternate rows.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in there being a lot of consistency in this "alternate rows" deal. It could be they were sent A, C, F, H, J, O, etc. Meaning multiple rows left out, as opposed to consistently every other row. It really felt like there were holes in the allocation. That tickets had probably been being sold out of the section, by Ticketmaster or Pepsi, or whomever, and that Cornell was sent parts of some adjacent sections, with lots of seats missing.

A pretty stupid way for the Pepsi arena to sell seats if you ask me, but no one asked me.
Andy W.

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:35AM

To clarify my earlier post, tomorrow the students will be sold seats in the same corner of the rink as the townies tickets today....Our corner this year is the 101-104 sections.
Certainly we'll be in a bloc all together, although it seems that Pepsi has sold some of the seats in those sections through its own box office, because at the CU ticket office today not all the seats in each section were available.

Gene does think of ways to address the townie-sitting, student-standing dilemma. I believe that's why the sale dates this year are separate...so a section can be sold to sitting townies, and the next day the adjacent section(s) can be sold to standing students (if you are a standing townie or sitting student, I guess you're on your own!)

I know that in the past the Ticket Office has tried to sell the top rows in sections to students and the bottom rows to townies, also in an attempt to address this issue.

So there is definitely awareness of the standing/sitting issue, and attempts to work on seating arrangements that work out well for everyone!

(and p.s., you can make noise sitting or standing, so I think the issue of energy is not so much your posture as your noise level, which I fully support being as loud as possible!)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 11:41AM by REDhead.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:45AM

So, I left a message at the Cornell ticket office, but I have no idea if they're actually going to get back to me or not.

I tried to order tickets online, but their webapp appears to be broken. (What a surprise.) I called tickets.com (the Pepsi Arena's ticket broker), whereupon the woman who answered proceeded to tell me that tickets were no longer being sold over the phone, but were available at the box office or online. I informed them that they weren't actually available online, which greatly confused the sales rep.

Isn't selling tickets a solved problem? I mean, why does this have to be difficult?

Kyle

Update: it appears the app is broken, in that it only works on IE. Unfortunately, their interface doesn't allow me to choose from whichever seats are free, and since they won't sell me the tickets over the phone, if I order them online I'll end up in the same situation I was last year: some seats on the far side of the arena.

GAAAAA! These guys get a $10 cut from every single ticket they sell, which means you'd think they could afford to hire some web developers to design them an app to make the customer experience a little better. How difficult is it to entertain the notion that their idea of "best available" isn't the same as mine?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 11:54AM by krose.

Date: March 13, 2006 11:53AM

I wish there were some way to get the students (or recent alums, whatever) to stand on their own in a few sections. Whenever we're away from Lynah, and the people who like to sit are mixed in with the people who are used to standing, it inevitably saps all of our energy. Ideas, anyone? Does anyone even agree with me?

I thought I had posted this about fifteen minutes ago, but perhaps I only "previewed" it. I hate when that happens. I'll try again.

Let me start by saying that although I am now a middle-aged Faithful, I am happy to stand at away games. Heck...I'd stand at home games too if I could. In fact, at Colgate the last two years we stood the entire game. (Last year it really annoyed the Colgate fans that were mixed in with us, but heck...there were more of us so...)

When I was a student, the students did not yet stand the entire game. Instead, we would jump up, en masse, yelling and cheering at almost anything exciting at all. Any odd-man rush, flurry of activity in front of a goal, even sometimes an especially hard hit. I never counted, but in retrospect I'm guessing we probably jumped up 30, 40 or 50 times a game. I actually think we were louder, and the atmosphere more exciting than it is today, with the students standing the entire time.

So what I'm getting at is that if you find yourself in a "sitting" section at an away game, try jumping up and cheering when anything "exciting" happens. Pretty soon plenty of people will be jumping up with you, if only to not have their view blocked. I think you'll find that when that starts happening, there is no "lack of energy."
Andy W. '86

Date: March 13, 2006 11:56AM

krose
I tried to order tickets online, but their webapp appears to be broken. (What a surprise.) I called tickets.com (the Pepsi Arena's ticket broker), whereupon the woman who answered proceeded to tell me that tickets were no longer being sold over the phone, but were available at the box office or online. I informed them that they weren't actually available online, which greatly confused the sales rep.

Looks alright to me:
[purchase.tickets.com]

(if that link is session specific or something, here's the screen before:
[purchase.tickets.com] )

Although I didn't go all the way through because I refuse to pay $20 in handling fees. If it comes to that, I'll just buy them at the box office on Friday.

Isn't selling tickets a solved problem? I mean, why does this have to be difficult?

Well, I feel for the ticket office guys a little today. Definitely way more demand than their capable of dealing with, on one of the few times per year when it happens.

Doesn't mean I'm not calling regularly though :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:17PM

krose
How difficult is it to entertain the notion that their idea of "best available" isn't the same as mine?
I've wondered the same thing myself.

Date: March 13, 2006 12:42PM

Just got through to the ticket office and got two sets of All Session for Will Call in Albany.

Perhaps things are slowing down.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:48PM

Just got through as well. No reason to pay those expensive service charges through tickets.com

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:53PM

I also had success a few minutes ago and got a pair in 102.

Probably worth calling now, since they didn't see to be very harried.

LGR!!!

Date: March 13, 2006 12:54PM

Yep, just got mine. Nice not to pay the service charge, and to get seats in the Cornell section.

See y'all Friday.

Kyle

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:54PM

Oh God, please not that. I hate that whack-a-mole action when people are sitting. Either sit and stay that way or stand for the whole game.

Date: March 13, 2006 12:58PM

CowbellGuy
Oh God, please not that. I hate that whack-a-mole action when people are sitting. Either sit and stay that way or stand for the whole game.
Agreed... but stand, preferably. I know from experience that it actually does raise my energy level considerably.

Maybe we can reorg like the Union game, and get an all-standing section for those of us who want to do that.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:27PM

krose
CowbellGuy
Agreed... but stand, preferably. I know from experience that it actually does raise my energy level considerably.

Maybe we can reorg like the Union game, and get an all-standing section for those of us who want to do that.

Cheers,
Kyle

Last year in Albany we did a pretty good job of organizing at least half of an entire section in standing. The ushers were a bit pissed at first until they talked to a few people and realized we were trying to organize it so people who wanted to sit could in different sections, and then I think they assisted people in finding sitting seats.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 02:02PM

FYI, all. Just spoke to Gene, and he says he only has single-session tickets left ($28 each day, not the same seat both days). Pepsi only sent him the 300 tickets every school is allotted, not the 700 he requested, BUT he'll have the other 400 tomorrow (largely in section 100). He told me my best bet was to call back then and get the all-session tickets (a savings of $8 plus, presumably, taxes).

Date: March 13, 2006 02:23PM

Liz '05
He told me my best bet was to call back then and get the all-session tickets (a savings of $8 plus, presumably, taxes).

FYI, event tickets are typically not taxed. At least that's true here in Mass, could vary by state :)

But sounds like a good bet anyway.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 02:28PM

Jacob '06
Last year in Albany we did a pretty good job of organizing at least half of an entire section in standing. The ushers were a bit pissed at first until they talked to a few people and realized we were trying to organize it so people who wanted to sit could in different sections, and then I think they assisted people in finding sitting seats.

Standing also has the huge advantage that the number of people in a row doesn't have to correspond to the number of seats.

I'd think the solution would be pretty simple -- give those who want to sit the lower half of each section, and have the upper half of each section stand. The sitters get better seats, and the standers don't impede anyone. Everybody wins.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 02:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: las224 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:23PM

Not to come off snotty and argumentative, but how is that fair that the sitters get better seats? We standers would like to be able to see well, too. Heck, that's why I stand.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:25PM

las224
Not to come off snotty and argumentative, but how is that fair that the sitters get better seats? We standers would like to be able to see well, too. Heck, that's why I stand.

Because putting the sitters behind the standers means the sitters can't see at all. The whole point here is for everyone to be at least somewhat happy, and if you can stand for the game you'll be happier than if forced to sit.

And there really are no bad seats in the Pepsi, esp. if you're in the lower bowl.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:31PM

Beeeej
las224

And there really are no bad seats in the Pepsi, esp. if you're in the lower bowl.

Beeeej

I more or less agree...However, if you are in the first few rows you will have a more limited view of the ice than the rows behind you. Albany is not a real steep bowl style seating ala Lynah. So (and this might please las224) I actually prefer to be towards the back of the lower bowl.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 04:01PM

Beeeej
las224

Because putting the sitters behind the standers means the sitters can't see at all. The whole point here is for everyone to be at least somewhat happy, and if you can stand for the game you'll be happier than if forced to sit.

Beeeej
They put the bands in the four corners of the balcony level. I would condider those bad. :-/

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 04:19PM

las224
No, you just sound like a student who is very used to standing in Lynah and hasn't had to deal with the standing/sitting issue dozens of times on the road. I don't know if you have traveled or not - I'm just saying what it sounds like.

I vastly prefer standing at hockey games. But unfortunately many folks, esp. older folks, want to sit. Since our standing blocks their view we have to compromise. If that means standing in the back that's what you've got to do unless you want to sit.

Of course, there are some jerks who insist on sitting in the seat printed on their ticket even when they are surrounded by dozens of people who want to stand and there is a perfectly comparable sitting/unobstructed seat close by. But unless you can get the ushers on your side, you're usually stuck capitulating to these people.

Posted by: DevilDerby (---.wadsworth.org)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:00PM

[Q]But unless you can get the ushers on your side, you're usually stuck capitulating to these people. [/Q]

Rare, but has happened. Watching the Jerks realize that even the neutral ushers think they are jerks and they can't go crying to them is priceless.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:01PM

KeithK
Of course, there are some jerks who insist on sitting in the seat printed on their ticket even when they are surrounded by dozens of people who want to stand and there is a perfectly comparable sitting/unobstructed seat close by. But unless you can get the ushers on your side, you're usually stuck capitulating to these people.
Those people often cheered for Vermont, so perhaps we'll see fewer of them in the future.

Posted by: Craine (---.pearsontc.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:03PM

jmh30
KeithK
Those people often cheered for Vermont, so perhaps we'll see fewer of them in the future.

- Eh, I know we've had issues with Cornell "fans" at Albany or Placid before as well... But, certainly never having to hear a "NO CATS NO" cheer is well worth it!!!!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:03PM

jmh30

True. Then again, Vermont has already been bumped from the postseason, so it's not like they'll have anything else to do. :-D

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:19PM

In Estero, of all places, fans with Cornell clothing requested that the group of 8 or so of us sit down. I seem to remember that in Albany the rears of the lower sections became standing areas and the closest seats were sitting-only.

Date: March 13, 2006 05:24PM

Look around Lynah next time you're there. Half the people are sitting. They're used to sitting. Plus, not everybody who goes to the games in Albany goes to games at Lynah; they're there because it's Cornell, period. Some of them are also older, or infirm, or have small children who can barely see even when everyone's sitting down.

Now, are you really surprised that people would prefer to - *gasp* - sit down at a sporting event where they paid for seats rather than for standing room tickets?

You don't have to like it, but please, it's ridiculous and whiny to think of them as less than true Cornellians.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Bleachers?
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:34PM

Will
It wasn't bleachers, but rather the upper tier of the arena. It still wasn't a terrible view of the action, though.

Yes it was. They put me up there and I couldn't see the puck. B-] I had to sneak into the lower section.

Posted by: abmarks (---.corp.ne.3com.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:36PM

Or to Beej's point, maybe you've just got bad feet etc.

And to somebody's point earlier. There is somethng much more powerful about a generally seated crowd all of a sudden coming to their feet along with a roar for important moments in a game.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 05:48PM

Yes! Like when we killed off the 5-minute Clarkson powerplay in OT on Saturday.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 07:19PM

I called the Pepsi Arena 800 number last night (Sunday) and got nowhere with the first Ticketmaster rep I talked to. He said they were not handling the ECAC tickets for some reason and I had to get them on the internet. I called back and got a much more helpful person who told me their phone system was broken, but should be fixed in a day or two. He knew all about the event and told me I could get tickets on line or call back the next day. I told him I wanted a specific section, but the online process doesn't allow for any choice. He then gave me the actual box office number (518) 487-2000. I have to double check tonight that I am not needed to play goal myself this weekend, and then I am going to get 4 tickets tomorrow. I am glad I waited because I was planning on something in 107.

Date: March 13, 2006 07:39PM

cth95
I am glad I waited because I was planning on something in 107.
Yeah, it's too bad. They sold group seats to local Cornell Clubs in 111, stating CU sections would be around them. How they screwed up is beyond me, but we'll be having fans at both ends of the rink. Maybe we can get some echo cheers going.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 07:43PM

ebilmes
In Estero, of all places, fans with Cornell clothing requested that the group of 8 or so of us sit down. I seem to remember that in Albany the rears of the lower sections became standing areas and the closest seats were sitting-only.

The real problem with that was that they didn't just come up and ask us nicely; they yelled at our backs. There were zillions of empty seats, so it was easy enough to just move to the back of a section at the next stoppage, but there was a certain level of civility missing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 07:44PM

This could turn into a benefit if it makes the sound come from all over the arena. Last year I went to the Clarkson game at Cheel with a bunch of people from the local alumni group and we had the same type of seating arrangement relative to the band and students. I think it was pretty cool to have Cornell cheers coming from both ends of an away rink.

Posted by: Sperris (---.147.125.209.transedge.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:36PM

Pepsi Arena tonight... on phone for about 20 minutes and had an opportunity to speak with a friendly yet unhelpful operator who disconnected me. Could have been an accident, but frustrating nonetheless.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:56PM

We got our tix in 101 from the Cornell office today. Sounds like the local Cornell clubs will be a few sections away (though I'm sure there will be plenty of Cornell fans in between.)

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:08AM

DeltaOne81
Liz '05
He told me my best bet was to call back then and get the all-session tickets (a savings of $8 plus, presumably, taxes).

FYI, event tickets are typically not taxed. At least that's true here in Mass, could vary by state :)

But sounds like a good bet anyway.
My impression is that many places do tax event tickets, but they bundle the tax into the price the way gasoline is sold, so you don't notice it.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 06:29AM

KeithK
No, you just sound like a student who is very used to standing in Lynah and hasn't had to deal with the standing/sitting issue dozens of times on the road. I don't know if you have traveled or not - I'm just saying what it sounds like.

This year I've traveled to Niagara, Florida, Colgate, and Union/RPI. Most of those places I've sat as that's what most people do, and I don't want to be a jerk and block everyone. However (maybe I'm wrong), I thought I remembered last year everyone standing at the Pepsi.

Beej, I didn't mean to whine in my earlier post. I've also been frustrated by the standing on occasion (namely - the past week when I had tickets in the student section but was on crutches, so fought my way up to the front row, tried to sit instead of stand, and got yelled at by everyone around me for not being a "true" fan). It's just a little frustrating to find out that students are getting worse seating because we're expected to stand, whether we do or not. Yes, I realize there aren't necessarily "bad" seats in the Pepsi, but as I've learned by sitting on the glass at Lynah, it can be really fun to see the action up close even if it means you can't see the far corner of the rink.

On a slightly different topic - anyone know where the player comp tickets are going to be?

Date: March 14, 2006 10:12AM

Again, John, look at it from their perspective - they've probably never been to a game at Lynah. Suddenly there's a bunch of kids standing in front of them preventing them from seeing the game. They've never heard of people standing to watch a hockey game. You think the natural thing for them to do is stand up, walk down, and politely say, "I know you'd really rather stand, but we'd really rather you didn't"?!

"Down in front" is an entirely natural and even acceptable reaction for someone who has no idea. And I think there's a "certain level of civility missing" in assuming you should be treated politely when you are doing what in 99% of hockey arenas happens to be a pretty rude thing.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 10:24AM by Beeeej.

Date: March 14, 2006 11:29AM

Beeeej
"Down in front" is an entirely natural and even acceptable reaction for someone who has no idea. And I think there's a "certain level of civility missing" in assuming you should be treated politely when you are doing what in 99% of hockey arenas happens to be a pretty rude thing.

The general problem is that there is always going to be 1 person in every group of 10 who is a dickhead*. So, the dickhead will say "this is my seat and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers" when you offer to swap rows so they can sit in front and you and your row can stand. Or, the dickhead will be confrontational when asking people to swap seats so that he can stand while they sit.

Between the passive-aggressive types who want to stand (or sit) but want somebody else to make it work, and then grouse that it isn't working out even though they do nothing, and the immature who feel that buying a ticket gives them property rights on their seat despite the environmental effect on anybody else, and the aforementioned dickheads, it rarely goes all that smoothly. Just be patient and polite and 90% of people will follow the path of least resistance.

* Edit: this is a formal sociological principle generalizable to all human activity.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 11:31AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:36AM

Any word on ticket sales today?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:52AM

So I wonder whose section I'll be in...........bought in section 108 online per some of the original postings. Hostile territory? My 7,4 and 2 year old boys are not going to take any $hit!!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2006 11:20AM by RatushnyFan.

Date: March 14, 2006 01:02PM

Woohoo, just got word my tickets are in 102, so for the first time in a while, I'm not exiled to the blue hair hinterlands. :-)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:08PM

Trotsky
The general problem is that there is always going to be 1 person in every group of 10 who is a dickhead.

[T]his is a formal sociological principle generalizable to all human activity.

Do you mind if I borrow this for the first two sentences of my dissertation? :-}

Date: March 14, 2006 01:20PM

Tom Lento
Trotsky
The general problem is that there is always going to be 1 person in every group of 10 who is a dickhead.

[T]his is a formal sociological principle generalizable to all human activity.

Do you mind if I borrow this for the first two sentences of my dissertation? :-}

As long as you cite me.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 04:28PM

So, do you think 102 is setting up to be a standing section? Or is this nonsense about alternating rows gonna complicate things? I'll have to make sure my tired old legs are in shape. Nevertheless, if you need one of us "old guys" to help persuade other local fans, count me in.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 04:46PM

Killer
So, do you think 102 is setting up to be a standing section? Or is this nonsense about alternating rows gonna complicate things? I'll have to make sure my tired old legs are in shape. Nevertheless, if you need one of us "old guys" to help persuade other local fans, count me in.

I have a feeling that no lower-bowl section will be set up to be a standing section. You probably won't even know which section has the higest concentration of people who want to stand until we're in the building. If you start early and talk to ushers/supervisors and other spectators in our sections between semis, you might have some luck. Be organized, be proactive, and be polite about it. Otherwise, it's no problem to find places to stand upstairs. That's what I did last year.

Or just invade the Harvard section, since there will be what, 6 people there?

Date: March 14, 2006 08:56PM

RichH
Or just invade the Harvard section, since there will be what, 6 people there?
Only if the band comes.

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:07PM

Section 130 in the lower bowl should be a standing section. When I purchased my tickets today, the office had a diagram with that entire area marked "students." At least I hope it will be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login