Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ammo for Clarkson Cheers

Posted by cth95 
Ammo for Clarkson Cheers
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 04:58AM

Those North Country jokes may be more true than we thought. :-D Here is some fuel for this weekend and possibly many games to come. I noticed this article when I was at my mother's in Potsdam today (3/8). I am sure someone can make good use of it. shifty

Scroll down a couple of stories or go to the Potsdam bicentennial link to find this. Can't wait to see everyone at the game Saturday. LGR!!!!

[www.northcountrynow.com]

Celebrting (sic) Potsdam's 200th: Founding Clarkson family inbred extensively
By BILL SHUMWAY
POTSDAM – It was “all in the family” – literally – for the founders of the Town of Potsdam and Clarkson University.
Extensive inbreeding took place within the Clarkson families who played prominent roles in the establishment of the town, which is celebrating its 200th anniversary this year.

In fact, during the mid-1800s, three different families -- each created when Clarkson cousins married their cousins -- lived on what is now the Clarkson University hill campus, according to “The Clarkson Family of Potsdam,” written in 1958 by Margaret Gurley Chapman and revised in 2001 by the Potsdam Public Museum:
• T. Streatfield Clarkson married his first cousin, Ann Mary Clarkson in 1852 and the couple lived in Holcroft House, now the Clarkson admissions office, their entire married life. Their children, Annie and Emilie, donated the hill campus land and $1.5 million in the late 1920s to Clarkson. T. Streatfield’s parents – David and Elizabeth Streatfeild Clarkson -- were also cousins before they married.
• Thomas S. Clarkson II married his cousin, Elizabeth Clarkson, in 1830. The couple moved to Potsdam in 1840, and lived in the Clarkson mansion between Holcroft and Woodstock that burned in 1909. The couple had six children, including Thomas. S. Clarkson III, in whose memory Clarkson was founded in 1896. Thomas S. III, along with siblings Elizabeth, Levinus, Lavinia and Frederica never married. The only child to marry was Ann Mary, who married T. Streatfield Clarkson.
• Frances S. Clarkson married her cousin Augustus L. Clarkson, who built Woodstock Lodge in 1827. Francis, however, died in 1829, and Augustus later married Emily McVickar in 1852.
T. Streatfield, Thomas S. II and Frances were the three of Thomas S. (1763-1844) and Elizabeth (1771-1852) Clarkson’s 11 children who eventually moved to Potsdam after having grown up at 33 Broadway in New York City. A fourth child of Thomas S. II and Elizabeth, Elizabeth Streatfeild Clarkson, married David Clarkson, in 1822, but she didn’t move to Potsdam. However, T. Streatfield Clarkson was their son and he and wife Ann Mary Clarkson lived in Potsdam.
Elizabeth and Augustus were the children of Levinus Clarkson (1765-1845), who moved to Holcroft House in 1840, after retiring from a successful insurance career in New York City.
Many branches of the Clarkson family lived in Potsdam during the 1800s.
The original purchasers in 1802 were David M. Clarkson and Garret Van Horne, who were acting on behalf of a six-member trust. Van Horne eventually sold his shares in the trust to Matthew Clarkson, according to a brochure prepared by the Potsdam Public Museum as part of a 1996 exhibit on the Clarkson family.
In 1821, the town was parceled out to six cousins and a friend of the Clarksons. The cousins included Levinus Clarkson, who moved to Holcroft in 1840; Hermon LeRoy; William Bayard; John C. Clarkson, the first Clarkson to actually live in Potsdam when he moved into land agent Benjamin Raymond’s farm after Raymond left in 1818 to establish what is now Raymondville; and Thomas S. Clarkson, grandfather of Thomas S. III, in whose memory what is now Clarkson University was founded. The friend was Nicholas Fish.

Re: Ammo for Clarkson Cheers
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:36AM

That's just wrong wtf

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:05AM

"CLARKSON: KEEPING THE LOVE IN THE FAMILY SINCE 1806" (or whenever the year is)

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:09AM

While I love ribbing Clarkson about anything as much as the next guy, marrying cousins was quite common in this country in the 1800s. Check to be sure your own lineage is pure before casting aspersions...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:09AM

"Kissing cousins *clap clap clapclapclap*

Or, if you're feeling particularly daring around the ushers: "fucking cousins *clap clap clapclapclap*".

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:27AM

clarking sons? nut
was there any mom-son action in the family (of course we are talking grown sons, no references to kids here)

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:55AM

and of course, nothing like that could ever have taken place in Ithaca. rolleyes

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:21AM

Damn. A friend of mine found that article a few days ago and showed it to me, with the hopes that you guys wouldn't find it. Somehow, I knew that was just impossible...

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:22AM

Rich S
and of course, nothing like that could ever have taken place in Ithaca. rolleyes

Ah, the expected "I know you are, but what am I?" Classic.

Somehow, Ezra Cornell managed to marry someone without his own last name. In fact he married outside the expectations of society:

From [www.news.cornell.edu]

[Q]Ezra Cornell's marriage to Mary Ann Wood was an act of rebellion for a young man at the time, Engst pointed out. He was a Quaker and her family was Episcopalian. When the Quakers read him out of the congregation for marrying outside of it, he wrote back unapologetically: "I have always considered that choosing a companion for life was a very important affair and that my happyness or misery in this life depended on the choice and for that reason I never felt myself bound to be dictated in the affair by any higher authority than my own feelings."[/Q]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 09:27AM by RichH.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:40AM

Reminds me of the old joke: "Where do West Virginia guys go to meet girls: Family reunions."

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.eas.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:51AM

Points - Big Red...inbred :-P
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 10:52AM by oceanst41.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:56AM

If you guys can get away with inbred, then we should also be able to get away with some of the less-creative more-offensive cheers...

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:29AM

no ties in the playoffs, but it would give new meaning to sister-kissing.

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:49AM

RichH
Rich S

Ah, the expected "I know you are, but what am I?" Classic.

No Rich, not at all...lol.

See your compatriot's post reminding us all that marraige within families was quite common in those days.

Where is your sense of history? :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 11:52AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 09, 2006 12:13PM

Bah, I was years ahead of the curve with "POTSDAM WHITE TRASH".

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 12:23PM

"Do You Defy?"

"This is our classroom"

Just some quotes from the Clarkson TV commercials... yes, they have tv commercials

and on that note- how about "Our school doesn't need TV ads"

A little pretentious I know, but come on - television spots!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 12:44PM

[q]and on that note- how about "Our school doesn't need TV ads" [/q]Have you ever seen the Cornell spots during hockey broadcasts? *cringe*

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 01:32PM

KeithK
[q]and on that note- how about "Our school doesn't need TV ads" [/q]Have you ever seen the Cornell spots during hockey broadcasts? *cringe*

We'll to be really appropriate they should have a blank screen for the first 15 seconds, then 30 seconds of unsynched audio and severe pixelization, and finally a frozen image for the last 15 seconds. Then they should bill your Visa card for watching it.

Date: March 09, 2006 01:36PM

I meant TV, but nice!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:31PM

French Rage
Bah, I was years ahead of the curve with "POTSDAM WHITE TRASH".

The wheels on your house go 'round and 'round...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: sockralex (---.travelers.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:45PM

Welcome ITT Tech

don't forget to print out a roster b/c they don't have names on the back

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:56PM

What are you trying to say about our family:-P

P.s. How 'bout ditching Myriam and marrying me in September... We'd already have a place! And then of course we'll move to Potsdam laugh

Date: March 09, 2006 03:56PM

sockralex
Welcome ITT Tech

don't forget to print out a roster b/c they don't have names on the back
Doesn't anyone buy programs anymore?

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:05PM

Robb
While I love ribbing Clarkson about anything as much as the next guy, marrying cousins was quite common in this country in the 1800s.

...and is still legal in many states.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.cecomet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:08PM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:13PM

Tub(a)

With others' what?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:56PM

Trotsky
Tub(a)

With others' what?
Use your imagination, with regard to what the players are sitting in. I think that's the point of the poster. :)

Kyle

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:08PM

captain obvious strikes again

Date: March 09, 2006 06:13PM

Dpperk29
Why are you going after me? It's not my fault he didn't get it. A "Captain Clueless" targetted at Greg would have been more appropriate. :)

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:22PM

krose
Dpperk29
Why are you going after me? It's not my fault he didn't get it. A "Captain Clueless" targetted at Greg would have been more appropriate. :)

I had the impression Greg was picking on the inappropriate punctuation on the depicted poster, not genuinely asking the question he was asking.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:23PM

as did I, and I am sorry kyle, If I offended you I did not mean to

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:24PM

IIRC, what made the poster all the more funny was the apostrophe. I think the changed meaning was intentional.

Date: March 09, 2006 06:25PM

ebilmes
IIRC, what made the poster all the more funny was the apostrophe. I think the changed meaning was intentional.
This is what I'm getting at. The apostrophe is essential to the meaning of the joke, not a mistake.

Kyle

Date: March 09, 2006 06:27PM

Dpperk29
as did I, and I am sorry kyle, If I offended you I did not mean to
I have a very, very thick skin. No apology necessary. :)

Kyle

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:37PM

Beeeej
krose
Dpperk29

I had the impression Greg was picking on the inappropriate punctuation on the depicted poster, not genuinely asking the question he was asking.
It's not inappropriate punctuation if Grant intended for it to mean what it does, which he did.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:38PM

KeithK
As I understand it, schools get free air time during televised games, and if that's the case, may as well use it I guess.

Doesn't make those commercials any less crappy though.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 07:43PM

Yeh, but I've never been watching Fox68 and seen Cornell in a Devry-esque "get your degree" ad. Plus during hockey broadcasts, it is usually an ad for Cornell athletics.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:29PM

Y'know, some states make special provisions about "double cousins" marrying each other...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:53PM

Oooo...yeah. Forgot about that. Double whammy. That's probably not legal anywhere :-}

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:21PM

Hey, watch it. When the brothers married sisters in our family, it was perfectly legal... nut

Posted by: dustbin321 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 09:35AM

your sister is your mother
your uncle is your brother
you all fuck (do) one another
the clarkson fam-i-ly

to the tune of adam's family

Posted by: Jim (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 09:41AM

Targeted player tonight: #14 Grant CLITsome

Posted by: Trigger (---.bms.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:43AM

I feel like I remember seeing Clitsome on the back of a jersey. Which would mean they have names on the back. Maybe one set does and the other doesn't?

Posted by: Trigger (---.bms.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:45AM

"Nothin says lovin like humpin your cousin" (We wouldn't get away with "fuckin your cousin";)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:52AM

Most of the above possible taunts are hilarious. The problem is the vast majority of fans in attendance won't have a clue. Perhaps some Elynah student fan with a little time on their hands this afternoon might print out and make copies of the original article, for distribution at Lynah tonight. (Proper attribution, so people believe it is true, would probably help. I actually wondered if the article was a joke when I first read it above.)

Once the article had been distributed, it would then be pretty easy for someone in Section A or B (assuming these things were well distributed in at least A and B) to start a "Big Red / In-bred" cheer that would catch on. And from there, let the floodgates open.

If anyone chooses to take this on, I'll be happy to help with distribution into Section C, if you have enough copies. Post here, and we can work out the details.
Andy W.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:08PM

Yes!!!

Date: March 10, 2006 12:18PM

I've put together a file that should be print-ready, if someone wants to take this to the next step. I will try to attach it here.
Andy W.

Edit-Apparently I was not able to attach the file. If someone could host the file, I'll be happy to send it along. (I think it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. I even corrected the spellings of Streatfield and Streatfeild to make them consistent.)
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2006 12:51PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.nrcc.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:23PM

Their awful looking new jerseys do have names on the back

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:57PM

andyw2100
Most of the above possible taunts are hilarious. The problem is the vast majority of fans in attendance won't have a clue. Perhaps some Elynah student fan with a little time on their hands this afternoon might print out and make copies of the original article, for distribution at Lynah tonight. (Proper attribution, so people believe it is true, would probably help. I actually wondered if the article was a joke when I first read it above.)

Once the article had been distributed, it would then be pretty easy for someone in Section A or B (assuming these things were well distributed in at least A and B) to start a "Big Red / In-bred" cheer that would catch on. And from there, let the floodgates open.

If anyone chooses to take this on, I'll be happy to help with distribution into Section C, if you have enough copies. Post here, and we can work out the details.
Andy W.

given the richness of the subject matter we would be irresponsible to not distribute copies of these articles. Why should we have all the fun with this?

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:58PM

andyw2100
Most of the above possible taunts are hilarious. The problem is the vast majority of fans in attendance won't have a clue.

Once the article had been distributed, it would then be pretty easy for someone in Section A or B (assuming these things were well distributed in at least A and B) to start a "Big Red / In-bred" cheer that would catch on. And from there, let the floodgates open./quote]

Perhaps a lot of fans will have a clue since, as suggested earlier, there's a lot of "inbreds" in the Ithaca area too.

Date: March 10, 2006 01:02PM

given the richness of the subject matter we would be irresponsible to not distribute copies of these articles. Why should we have all the fun with this?

I've got the thing looking good, ready to go. All we need is for a student to step forward and offer to reproduce and distribute them. I'd also be happy to post what I've done, but I don't have anywhere to post it.

I think I'll start a new thread, looking for a student volunteer...
Andy W.

Posted by: cth95 (132.198.175.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:58PM

That's bad (and yet so good).

HAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 02:23PM

dustbin321
you all fuck (do) one another
the clarkson fam-i-ly

Please do this!!

Date: March 10, 2006 03:04PM

I hand out newspapers all the time in sections D and E. If someone prints it out, I will be glad to distribute it in my section while giving out newspapers.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2006 03:11PM

Jim
I hand out newspapers all the time in sections D and E. If someone prints it out, I will be glad to distribute it in my section while giving out newspapers.

I'd check with some usher or athletics person before doing it (if you chose to). I think someone got tossed in B this year for something similar.

Date: March 10, 2006 03:12PM

Good point, i'll keep it in mind

Re: HAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 03:22PM

Oat
dustbin321
you all do one another
the clarkson fam-i-ly

Please do this!!

I have to say, it does work quite nicely. May I suggest that people continue the song with the

da-da-da-da (snap, snap)
da-da-da-da (snap, snap)
da-da-da-da (snap, snap)
da-da-da-da (snap, snap)

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:09AM

Great ideas! Better than I had even imagined. I knew you guys would be able to run with this the moment I saw the article. And all because my sister happened to be visiting my mother and wanted me to come by for a couple of hours, during which I skimmed the headlines of the local North Country newspaper.

Did any of these new cheers work Friday? I didn't hear the broadcast. Now that you have a night of practice I hope they are good for tonight. I will be in section F and look forward to helping out.

Date: March 11, 2006 09:49AM

cth95
Great ideas! Better than I had even imagined. I knew you guys would be able to run with this the moment I saw the article. And all because my sister happened to be visiting my mother and wanted me to come by for a couple of hours, during which I skimmed the headlines of the local North Country newspaper.

Did any of these new cheers work Friday? I didn't hear the broadcast. Now that you have a night of practice I hope they are good for tonight. I will be in section F and look forward to helping out.

I was in Section C, and didn't hear any cheers related to this topic. I had even printed out and distributed a few of the fliers that I had put together. I tried to get them into B, C, and D. Oh well.

I'm still willing to send the file to anyone who might be willing and able to do a better job of reproducing and distributing it.

And I highly recommend "Big Red / In-bred" as the first inbreeding cheer. It is simple, and should catch on.
Andy W.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:03AM

andyw2100
cth95

I was in Section C, and didn't hear any cheers related to this topic. I had even printed out and distributed a few of the fliers that I had put together. I tried to get them into B, C, and D. Oh well.

I'm still willing to send the file to anyone who might be willing and able to do a better job of reproducing and distributing it.

And I highly recommend "Big Red / In-bred" as the first inbreeding cheer. It is simple, and should catch on.
Andy W.

Well over in G and F, we got a Big Reg / In-bred chant going. As well as Kissing cousins clap clap clapclapclap. I would say we were lacking full partipation but still enought to make it worthwhile. Of the two, big red / in-bred worked best. Nothing else to do but give it another go tonight.

One more cheer, i don't know if people would endorse it but for Hey Bâby, i just sang Hey Hey Cousin, i wanna know will you kiss someone... A few people joined in.

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 12:07PM

i was in section G...and I felt a little odd participating in those cheers, including any of the ones which involved cursing, just because there was a father with his like 6 year old daughter in front. i guess it doesnt really make a difference, since i'm right next to H anyways so wahther we yell they hear, but out of respect I refrained from yelling anything bad, since it would of gone right into their ears :)

Posted by: Rob NH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 04:22PM

WillR
One more cheer, i don't know if people would endorse it but for Hey Bâby, i just sang Hey Hey Cousin, i wanna know will you kiss someone... A few people joined in.
Heeeey... heeey Clarkson.... we wanna knooooow... why you screw your moms

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login