Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Full Circle for Nieuwendyk?

Posted by calgARI '07 
Full Circle for Nieuwendyk?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:55PM

A couple of sources out in Calgary speculating that Nieuwendyk could be a Flame before the 3:00 deadline on Thursday. Who knows if it'll happen, but based on Calgary's needs, I think it's a definite possibility. Florida isn't going to the playoffs, so they are going to be moving veterans tomorrow. That being said, I'm sure Nieuwendyk is not Sutter's first choice due to his age, but the market is proving pretty weird this year, so we'll see.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 12:07AM by calgARI '07.

Re: Full Circle for Nieuwendyk?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:28AM

From the subject line, I wondered if Joe was about to put in retirement papers and cycle back back in Ithaca. He'd make a heck of an assistant coach and good will ambassador.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:03AM

billhoward
From the subject line, I wondered if Joe was about to put in retirement papers and cycle back back in Ithaca. He'd make a heck of an assistant coach and good will ambassador.

I think it'll happen eventually, with Joe as an unpaid, volunteer assistant coach, I imagine. I thought I heard he was planning on retiring to the Ithaca area.

Date: March 09, 2006 09:25AM

I think he is the next head coach.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:10AM

calgARI '07

Hey, even better. Anyone know if Joe's had any actual coaching experience, though?

Date: March 09, 2006 10:17AM

Will
calgARI '07

Hey, even better. Anyone know if Joe's had any actual coaching experience, though?

Zero. Same amount Donato had when Harvard handed the reigns to him.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:46AM

calgARI '07

Our coach has more Stanley Cup rings than your coach.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:10AM

calgARI '07

Why do you think that? What time frame are you thinking it will happen? What makes you think he's interested in taking on a new job, involving travel, while he has young kids? Why would Cornell hand the reins of what has become a top national program to an inexperienced coach (albeit one who will create a nice headline), when there are others who are highly regarded as coaches and recruiters that may be available (e.g. Casey Jones '90)?

Date: March 09, 2006 11:23AM

CUlater 89
calgARI '07

Why do you think that? What time frame are you thinking it will happen? What makes you think he's interested in taking on a new job, involving travel, while he has young kids? Why would Cornell hand the reins of what has become a top national program to an inexperienced coach (albeit one who will create a nice headline), when there are others who are highly regarded as coaches and recruiters that may be available (e.g. Casey Jones '90)?

I think Jones is another possibility. But as for Nieuwendyk, I wasn't making some developed thesis, I was just throwing it out there. But regarding travel, he would be traveling a lot less as a college coach than he does now as an NHL player. If he is retiring to Ithaca, it seems like a good possibility. Harvard handed their program to an inexperienced coach.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:27AM

calgARI '07
CUlater 89
calgARI '07

I think Jones is another possibility. But as for Nieuwendyk, I wasn't making some developed thesis, I was just throwing it out there. But regarding travel, he would be traveling a lot less as a college coach than he does now as an NHL player. If he is retiring to Ithaca, it seems like a good possibility. Harvard handed their program to an inexperienced coach.
Because if Harvard does it, it MUST be a good idea! :-D

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:38AM

calgARI '07
The difference is that Harvard had been struggling with their previous coach who had created some PR problems for the program (the players grumbling, complaining). They may have decided that they needed a good headline. If Schafer were to announce his retirement tomorrow (perish the thought) I don't think Cornell is in a position where we need a splashy headline to sell the program.

That said, I can imagine it happening some years down the line if Joe continues to be involved with the program. Time cures the "tired of travel" and "young kids at home" issues.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:05PM

CUlater 89
calgARI '07

Remember, if the timing works out right, Bâby is likely to end up as an assistant coach under Schafer.

(Although since that timing would presumably involve Bâby's playing career ending before Schafer wins a National Championship, I guess we don't exactly want to root for it.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:23PM

Why do you say that about Bâby?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:38PM

RatushnyFan

Because Schafer said when Bâby graduated that he would love to have him an an assistant coach one day. Or something to that effect.

Jtw beat me to it, but I was gonna say that I can see Bâby on the Cornell staff much more easily than Joe. Although I wouldn't mind either.

Bâby's doing alright, and improving (at least stat wise), in the AHL, but it doesn't seem he's turning any heads at the moment.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:32PM

Thanks. I wonder if someone will give Bâby a brief chance given his size, decent +/- and overall attitude towards playing solid team defense. I guess the problem is that even most of the 4th/checking line players seem to show a lot more offensively.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:48PM

RatushnyFan

Bâby is among the top two players in terms of leadership that we've seen under Schafer (the other being Brad Chartrand). If he were to get some assistant coaching experience at the college level, I could see that as well.

25 years from now, hopefully.

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:30PM

KeithK
The difference is that Harvard had been struggling with their previous coach who had created some PR problems for the program (the players grumbling, complaining). They may have decided that they needed a good headline. If Schafer were to announce his retirement tomorrow (perish the thought) I don't think Cornell is in a position where we need a splashy headline to sell the program.
I guess I'm not so optimistic. Quite frankly, I think Schafer IS the Cornell program these days. Look at what has happened to the other ECAC powers during his tenure. Only Schafer has managed to put together credible national threats during that time frame (possible exception of SLU in 01 or 00 or whenever they were last good). When Schafer leaves, Cornell is definitely at risk for joining Clarkson and SLU in the ranks of the mediocre. We will need all the headlines we can get to tide us over until the new coach proves that he is the next real deal. Obviously, we need a coach with true talent - I guess all I'm really saying is that a coach with talent *and* headlines would be better than one with just talent. (duh)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 09:51AM

Robb
When Schafer leaves, Cornell is definitely at risk for joining Clarkson and SLU in the ranks of the mediocre.

Enjoy the present. In my four undergrad years, Cornell won 54 games. A senior this year has been given 91 wins, with hopefully more to come. This is The Second Golden Age -- revel in it. There's nothing we can do about tomorrow. Que sera sera.

Date: March 10, 2006 11:23AM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan

Bâby is among the top two players in terms of leadership that we've seen under Schafer (the other being Brad Chartrand). If he were to get some assistant coaching experience at the college level, I could see that as well.

25 years from now, hopefully.
Twice in the same year, famous Cornellians jumped into new head coaching positions without an apprenticeship at the assistant level, and it didn't work out: Ned Harkness going to the pros from that 29-0 year at Cornell, and Dick Betrand going from being a ~ 29-year-old team captain to Cornell's head coach.

To succeed you need to have coaching skill plus leadership that works at the level you're coaching at plus an understanding of the players and their mindsets. It helps if you're a famous name. It helps if you're an alum. Nieuwendyk has the famous name and Cornell link, he seems a decent-enough guy ... but would that translate into being a good teacher, a good leader, a good recruiter?

One possible issue: If Joe were in Ithaca and not the head coach, don't you think the head coach would hear murmurs every time he loses a game?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (128.118.121.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:21PM

billhoward
Twice in the same year, famous Cornellians jumped into new head coaching positions without an apprenticeship at the assistant level, and it didn't work out: Ned Harkness going to the pros from that 29-0 year at Cornell, and Dick Betrand going from being a ~ 29-year-old team captain to Cornell's head coach.

This is a bit hard on Bertrand, no? In his first year the team lost a whopping five games. By my count he ended up winning two regular season "titles," two conference tournaments, and took the team to the NCAAS four times. I guess you could conclude that his first three years of success were residual Harkness efforts, but I doubt that everything good that happened to the team was Ned's doing and everything bad was Dick's. Bertrand managed to last a decade, and brought the team back to the NCAAS in his final two seasons. I think it worked out well enough.

Date: March 10, 2006 01:26PM

Jacob 03
billhoward
This is a bit hard on Bertrand, no? In his first year the team lost a whopping five games. By my count he ended up winning two regular season "titles," two conference tournaments, and took the team to the NCAAS four times. I guess you could conclude that his first three years of success were residual Harkness efforts, but I doubt that everything good that happened to the team was Ned's doing and everything bad was Dick's. Bertrand managed to last a decade, and brought the team back to the NCAAS in his final two seasons. I think it worked out well enough.

Many people felt, in hindsight, that Dick Bertrand's leadership as an older player and team captain didn't translate into a good coaching career. Perhaps you can link that to his not having apprenticed as an assistant coach at Cornell or elsewhere. The great first couple seasons Dick Bertrand had were by skating players that Ned Harkness recruited and Dick Bertrand coached. It wasn't until 1975 that it was a Ned-free team and 1975-1982 isn't a glory period for Cornell hockey. Not to dump on a guy when he's down (he's still loyal to Cornell and active in alumni affairs in Michigan), but his second coaching stint at Ferris State didn't glisten, either, and ended with a mid-season resignation.

The great first couple seasons actually weren't so great in comparison to Ned's four runs into the NCAA final four. Of the five games Cornell lost in that 1971 season (22-5), two were in the ECAC playoffs and kept Cornell out of the NCAAs. Plus, at the time people probably noted that was as many games as Cornell had lost in all of the previous four years. The 1972 and 1973 teams made the NCAAs, losing once in the title game to the same BU team Cornell beat during the regular season (I'm conveniently ignoring that most people felt BU was the better team and BU also had beaten Cornell for the ECAC title the week before) and following it in 1973 with one of the all-time infamous Cornell chokes, blowing a 5-2 lead early in the third period and losing 6-5 in OT to Wisconsin. From there on, Cornell put up a bunch of 20-8 kinds of seasons and had only one ECAC championship (1980) and two NCAA appearances (1980 while going 16-15, 1981) before his disappearance from the Cornell scene. From there, 3-1/2 years at Ferris State, then coaching youth sports in Grand Rapids. Was that how Bertrand wanted his career to turn out? Maybe he got tossed into the job he wanted before he was ready.

More hindsight: Supposing Cornell paid Ned Harkness a bit more money and Ned was happy to continue coaching at Cornell (his family was here, his daughter attending Cornell) and Bertrand was an assistant for five years before taking over. Or if, having swiped Ned from RPI in the mid 1960s, Cornell did the same and took Len Ceglarski away from Clarkson instead of letting him go in 1972 to BC where Ceglarksi went to be the all-time winningest coach in college hockey.

All of this must be boring as hell to anyone who doesn't recall disco or platform shoes firsthand. (It's painful to have lived through it.) In shorter terms: College hoops, college football, college hockey all have examples of people who jumped into dream jobs without having prepped at that level. A couple excelled, many more didn't make it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login