Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - March 2006

Posted by Rita 
Alumni in the Pros - March 2006
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 01, 2006 12:23AM

The clock on my computer says it is March. In games from 2/28/06: Big night for Joey and the Florida Panthers. He had 2 goals and an assist in a 8-2 road win in Tampa.

Edit: game over, the Sharks beat the Red Wings 5-1. Doug Murray is back from a shoulder injury. He had a 2 min holding penalty at the end of 1st and another at the end of the 3rd. Doug did get a regular shift in the first period, but then only a few in the 2nd and 3rd. All 5 San Jose goals were on the PP. Hmmm. I wonder, is there anything in SJ's power play that our guys can use help ?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2006 12:55AM by Rita.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - March 2006
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 01:02AM

Rita
The clock on my computer says it is March. In games from 2/28/06: Big night for Joey and the Florida Panthers. He had 2 goals and an assist in a 8-2 road win in Tampa.

Edit: game over, the Sharks beat the Red Wings 5-1. Doug Murray is back from a shoulder injury. He had a 2 min holding penalty at the end of 1st and another at the end of the 3rd. Doug did get a regular shift in the first period, but then only a few in the 2nd and 3rd. All 5 San Jose goals were on the PP. Hmmm. I wonder, is there anything in SJ's power play that our guys can use help ?
One thing that's not in SJ's power play, unfortunately, is Murray. :-/

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:33AM

Leneveu continues to play hot for an ice-cold team. Last night he stopped the first 43 shots he saw, but the 44th got by him and San Antonio lost to Hamilton 1-0 in OT. Lenny was named the first star of the game for his efforts (the Hamilton goalie was named the third star for his 21 save shutout)

Well...not in the hockey "pros"
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:37AM

Op-ed piece in today's Boston Globe by a former Cornell player from the Paul Patten-era (and mine, too), Webb Nichols '63 (BArch '64). With an 18-game schedule, you could actually study architecture back then and still play hockey.

[www.boston.com]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 04:10PM

good marks for iggy and Murray on hockeysfuture.com. apparently they read ari's weekly column too.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 12:04PM

There is a question session with Doug Murray on Wednesday.

[www.sjsharks.com]

Date: March 05, 2006 07:32PM

Leneveu continues to play out of his mind behind a porous defense, stopping 44 of 46 shots he faced tonight in a 4-2 win over Houston.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:14PM

DisplacedCornellian
Leneveu continues to play out of his mind behind a porous defense, stopping 44 of 46 shots he faced tonight in a 4-2 win over Houston.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the coyotes goaltending situation for the rest of the season. The coyotes just moved boucher to calgary for their backup (who is pretty bad), and the rumors are that they will be moving cujo to edmonton before the trade deadline. Depending who they get, I think Lenny might get a shot up with the coyotes again for the end of the season.

Ed Ambis - not pro hockey, but alumnus
Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 11:31PM

Ed Ambis '72, a Cornell hockey player and now Ithaca dentist, has decided to keep open Ambis Industries Ltd, the Ithaca skate shop run by his brother Phil, who died in December. [www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: Ed Ambis - not pro hockey, but alumnus
Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: March 06, 2006 11:57PM

David Harding
Ed Ambis '72, a Cornell hockey player and now Ithaca dentist, has decided to keep open Ambis Industries Ltd, the Ithaca skate shop run by his brother Phil, who died in December. [www.theithacajournal.com]

I did not know that Phil Ambis had died. I am very saddened to hear that. Phil sponsored the Ithaca Sirens women's recreational ice hockey team by donating skate sharpenings. He was always so friendly and did a great job sharpening skates. I'm glad they are keeping the skate sharpening going; it will be a nice tribute to Phil's memory and what he meant to hockey in Ithaca.

Date: March 07, 2006 08:04AM

I too had not heard of Phill's passing. that is truly sad news. phill sharpened my skates for almost 20 years (since i was in mites!), until last year when i moved to florida. great people, the ambis family. i was just telling my knife sharpener about phill's skills in sharpening skates this week. :`(

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 03:15PM

I heard from a fairly reliable source that Ed is teaching Carol Mullins, the former cornell women's coach to run the shop.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 03:28PM

Dpperk29
I heard from a fairly reliable source that Ed is teaching Carol Mullins, the former cornell women's coach to run the shop.
The IJ article says that she's involved, so this sounds believable.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 05:06PM

This is not just a sharpening shop ... but they also develop skate sharpening machines, or that's in the past now?

Date: March 07, 2006 05:43PM

David Harding
Ed Ambis '72, a Cornell hockey player and now Ithaca dentist, has decided to keep open Ambis Industries Ltd, the Ithaca skate shop run by his brother Phil, who died in December.
Ambis was a fourth-line wing who had one goal and two assists for the 1969-70 national champs. His only goal that year tied the ECAC championship game at two heading into the third period, when he split two defenders and beat Clarkson's Bruce Bullock--a truly great goalie who was starting to look like he just might stonewall Cornell in that championship game.

No Cornell fan there that night will ever forget that goal--or John Hughes's subsequent game-winner.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 08:05PM

IDK if they are still doing that. I heard that they bought a blade master sharpener

Date: March 07, 2006 11:17PM

Here's a link to Phil's obituary in the Ithaca Journal [miva.pressconnects.com] It says that their father held the patent on the All-Pro Skate Sharpener.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:54PM

Doug Murray is not playing tonight versus Anaheim.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 12:11AM

RatushnyFan
Doug Murray is not playing tonight versus Anaheim.

From the San Jose Muercury News:

The Sharks will also make a change on defense tonight. Rob Davison will replace Doug Murray, who has not shown his usual thump since returning from an upper-body injury that sidelined him for the three games before the Olympic break.

``With the layoff and the injury, it seems that he has struggled to get going,'' Wilson said of Murray. ``He needs a little bit more practice time. Even the first few days that we practiced during the break, he wasn't able to go full speed. So we'll give him some time to catch up.''

Murray logged just 6 minutes, 19 seconds of ice time Saturday as Wilson doled out more short-handed shifts to Christian Ehrhoff.

Date: March 13, 2006 09:21AM

Leneveu picked up his first shutout of the season on Saturday night, stopping all 25 shots he faced.

Lenny has quietly compiled some solid stats this season: he has 9 wins, 15 losses, and 2 shoot-out losses, with a 2.95 GAA and a .918 SV% (tied for 6th best in the AHL). Considering he's playing for perhaps the worst team in the league (San Antonio has a .355 winning % and has scored a whopping 118 goals through 62 games, by far the least in the league), those numbers are more than respectable.

Elsewhere in the AHL...Ryan Vesce picked up a goal in a 3-2 OT loss on Saturday night, and then scored the decisive goal in a 4-3 shoot out win on Sunday. Vesce's line for the season so far: 14 goals and 35 assists for 49 points through 64 games, with a -22 +/- (ouch) and 42 PIM

Posted by: Chris 02 (68.55.43.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 06:53PM

Dougie was back in the lineup last night versus LA. He logged 11:26 of ice time with no SOG or PIMs.

Date: March 19, 2006 10:36AM

in good cornell goaltender news...
LeNevue had a 53 save shut out against the Areos last night.

Date: March 19, 2006 10:55AM

The Rancor
LeNevue had a 53 save shut out against the Areos last night.
When does he get a shot at the Mallomars? nut

Date: March 19, 2006 11:29AM

oops
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2006 11:30AM by The Rancor.

Date: March 20, 2006 09:59AM

Doug Murray hasn't played the last two games. SFGate indicated that versus the Avalanche (last night) he was a healthy scratch. Matt Carle, my vote for Hobey (Denver) just signed with the Sharks and is with the team.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 11:38AM

RatushnyFan
Doug Murray hasn't played the last two games. SFGate indicated that versus the Avalanche (last night) he was a healthy scratch. Matt Carle, my vote for Hobey (Denver) just signed with the Sharks and is with the team.
This is really bad for Doug's chances of ever seeing any power play time (especially considering how effective Tom Preissing has been this year), although not really surprising.

Posted by: strixvaria (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 02:25PM

Lenevue recalled to Phoenix.

[www.phoenixcoyotes.com]

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 03:28PM

banana

LGL(enny)!!!!

Date: March 23, 2006 09:58PM

Lenny is playing goal for the Coyotes tonight. After 1 period in Phoenix, he's stopped 10 of 12 shots and the game is tied 2-2.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2006 10:05PM

jmh30
Lenny is playing goal for the Coyotes tonight. After 1 period in Phoenix, he's stopped 10 of 12 shots and the game is tied 2-2.
I love how the Yahoo! pregame write-up for this game is an all-out love fest for Curtis Joseph, including:

"A victory in this contest would be the 424th of Joseph's career and move him past Tony Esposito for sole possession of sixth place on the league's all-time wins list. Joseph has more wins than any other goalie to not win the Vezina Trophy as the league's top goaltender."

Congratulations, he's not starting tonight! Morons.

Date: March 23, 2006 10:43PM

Joe got one last night for the Panthers against the Caps, and needs one more for a 20-goal season.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:35PM

Lenny makes 37 saves, including one with 7 seconds left, and Coyotes beat Chicago 4-3.

Date: March 23, 2006 11:44PM

jkahn
Lenny makes 37 saves, including one with 7 seconds left, and Coyotes beat Chicago 4-3.
#2 star of the game for his efforts. #1 star Steve Reinprecht, in the postgame interview, praised Lenny's play.

Date: March 24, 2006 10:23AM

Great job Lenny. Doug Murray has been a healthy scratch the last four games with San Jose. Coach Wilson has indicated that Matt Carle is going to get a couple of starts on their current road trip so Doug may not be in the lineup for a while. It is now official that rookie Josh Gorges is clearly a step ahead of Doug unless his prior injury is lingering (he's been termed a "healthy scratch", however).

And he has a gambling problem!! :-} [www.mercurynews.com]

Date: March 24, 2006 12:13PM

Sounds like he will get the start Saturday, too. Here is a link to the Phoenix game report with some good words and a cool picture of Lenny.

[www.phoenixcoyotes.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 12:33PM

Just thought I'd check and it seems like our old friend Underhill has really settled into the ECHL and is putting up quite a season. He's on the West division leading Alaska Aces, ranks second in GAA at 2.19, first in wins (33), tied for first in shutouts (5), and appear to be somewhere around 10th in save % (.919).

If he can keep it up, I have to wonder if he may make some appearances in the AHL, so those of us not in ECHL territory can maybe stop in for a game.

Date: March 24, 2006 11:11PM

And one of the goals he let in was on a 6x4 towards the end.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 12:07AM

Underhill is on a two-way contract w/ Peoria of the AHL -- but he's not on their clear day roster...so he'll almost certainly be in Alaska the rest of the way.

For that matter, Bâby was left off the clear day roster in Chicago. He's been out for about a month with an injury -- concussion I think. Not that the Wolves are making the playoffs.

Date: March 25, 2006 10:09AM

mgl11
For that matter, Bâby was left off the clear day roster in Chicago. He's been out for about a month with an injury -- concussion I think. Not that the Wolves are making the playoffs.

Bâby is ( I think) in the last year of his contract with the Thrashers... and to be fair, not very high on the depth chart. He hasn't realy developed the way atlanta hoped and is not concidered a top prospect (any more). Hope he is shopping for a new team.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-192-221.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:12AM

"clear day roster" That's a new term (to me). How is that different than just a "roster"?

Date: March 25, 2006 10:15AM

post trade deadline, the AHL has a 'clear day' in which all players clear to play in the playoffs are declared.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.124.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:05AM

Carle scored in his NHL debut. Good for Matt... bad for Murray's playing time.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:18AM

LeNeveu didn't fair so well last night. He stopped 22 of 27 shots in a 5-2 Phoenix loss to Anaheim.

Phx @ SJ 3/30, 4/1
Date: March 30, 2006 05:20PM

Phoenix @ San Jose for two games starting tonight. Don't know if Doug is in the line up, but I imagine Lenny will play one of the games. It would be pretty cool to see them on the ice at the same time.

In the mean time, you have to like this phrase, "Joseph, who backed up David LeNeveu the previous two games..." from the Phoenix website. I hope this becomes the norm sometime in the near future, although I am sure it won't be with Cujo. [www.phoenixcoyotes.com]

Re: Phx @ SJ 3/30, 4/1
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 05:38PM

cth95
Phoenix @ San Jose for two games starting tonight.

What's up with the scheduling? A new definition of home and home?

Date: March 30, 2006 05:50PM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe because Phoenix has owned San Jose despite SJ's much better record, SJ was awarded a handicap. :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 05:50PM by cth95.

Date: March 31, 2006 11:14AM

nyc94
cth95
Phoenix @ San Jose for two games starting tonight.

What's up with the scheduling? A new definition of home and home?
You guys been watching the NHL this year? This is a part of the new divisional scheduling effort to reduce travel.

I don't think that Doug is going to play again this year - until the Sharks are either in or out of the playoffs. It's just too tight and he's clearly out of the lineup. It's too bad.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: March 31, 2006 11:16AM

RatushnyFan
I don't think that Doug is going to play again this year - until the Sharks are either in or out of the playoffs. It's just too tight and he's clearly out of the lineup. It's too bad.

Although to be entirely greedy I wouldn't mind seeing him in Worcester a couple times next season :)

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:06PM

I'm listening to the Panther v. Hurricane game (it is Friday night and I need my hockey fix). Chuck Kaiton's first period intermission guest was Panther analyst Denis Potvin (insert pause for Ranger fans ;-) ). Potvin indicated that Joey would be returning to the Panthers next season.

BTW, 2-2 beginning of the 3rd.

AUUGGHHH. Chuck Kaiton just made a major faux pas. He was talking about Nieuwendyk, and mentioned how he broke into the league with Calgary after attending RPI. Already sent an email to Mr. Kaiton.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 08:54PM by Rita.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login