Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who do we want to face?

Posted by redredux 
Who do we want to face?
Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:24PM

I kind of like the Cornell/Union matchup. I'd rather host Union than Clarkson or RPI. I know they beat us at Lynah once but I liked what I saw from the Red last night. Mayotte is good but besides him Union doesn't seem too scary. Clarkson and RPI have more skilled players, I think. I like Cornell's chances in a 2 of 3 series at home against a grind it out team like Union. Plus, we'd have the revenge factor since they beat us at home.

Also, being seeded third isn't such a big deal. The downsides I see are no last line change in Albany and playing in the late game on Friday. Taking those things into consideration, I like the Red's chances against Colgate more than against the Green or the Crimson. So, even though winning the RS title would have been nice, I think we're set up pretty well for the playoffs assuming the injuries heal.

Re: Who do we want to face?
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:49PM

If we're healthier (read: at least two of three injured d-men back), I honestly don't think it matters much. At this point, all three of those teams are not TUC's. Clarkson is pretty close, but I don't think any of the teams will get enough of a bump in their RPI next weekend to become TUC's. I think Clarkson is easily the most talented, but RPI and Union have pretty solid netminders. If we play our game, we really shouldn't have trouble beating any of those teams.

If we make it to Albany, I'd much rather see Dartmouth or SLU over Sucks or Colgate. I know most people think this year it is "wide open," but in my mind only Sucks, Colgate or Cornell have a shot of winning the title. Dartmouth didn't impress me at all at Lynah. They have the weakest goaltending of the top 5 teams and are pretty undisciplined. SLU also hasn't impressed me this year either at Lynah or at Appleton. They couldn't beat us when our whole team was sick and we only had 4 defensemen. Also, losing Zeiler is huge for them--it would be the same as us losing Hynes down the stretch last year. I know this might sound strange or masochistic but I wouldn't have been entirely crushed if we were dealt the 4th seed and Sucks the 3rd. We'd get two games against a TUC at Lynah, and have to face Dartmouth (in my opinion, weaker than Colgate) before the title game.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.128.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:59PM

redhair34
If we make it to Albany, I'd much rather see Dartmouth or SLU over Sucks or Colgate. I know most people think this year it is "wide open," but in my mind only Sucks, Colgate or Cornell have a shot of winning the title. Dartmouth didn't impress me at all at Lynah. They have the weakest goaltending of the top 5 teams and are pretty undisciplined.

ok, did you actually look at the numbers for Devine or are you just basing it on the same comments that everyone else is saying (a lie told enough times becomes the truth)? It's no coincidence that Dartmouth started rolling once Devine started playing every game. Devine is 3rd in save percentage (.917) and 2nd in goals against average (2.26) in the conference.

Undisciplined? If the team that is in 7th in the conference in PIM's is undisciplined, what does that make the six teams above them, including SUNY-Ithaca?

Look, Dartmouth spotted the whole friggen conference four games, and yet still managed to win the Cleary Cup with 30 points in 18 games (14-2-2), including an absolute ass-kicking of the Big Red at Thompson. Underestimate them at your peril. In fact, please continue to do so.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:06PM

Dart~Ben
redhair34
If we make it to Albany, I'd much rather see Dartmouth or SLU over Sucks or Colgate. I know most people think this year it is "wide open," but in my mind only Sucks, Colgate or Cornell have a shot of winning the title. Dartmouth didn't impress me at all at Lynah. They have the weakest goaltending of the top 5 teams and are pretty undisciplined.

ok, did you actually look at the numbers for Devine or are you just basing it on the same comments that everyone else is saying (a lie told enough times becomes the truth)? It's no coincidence that Dartmouth started rolling once Devine started playing every game. Devine is 3rd in save percentage (.917) and 2nd in goals against average (2.26) in the conference.

Undisciplined? If the team that is in 7th in the conference in PIM's is undisciplined, what does that make the six teams above them, including SUNY-Ithaca?

Look, Dartmouth spotted the whole friggen conference four games, and yet still managed to win the Cleary Cup with 30 points in 18 games (14-2-2), including an absolute ass-kicking of the Big Red at Thompson. Underestimate them at your peril. In fact, please continue to do so.

Dartmouth has brutal goaltending. You can look at statistics all you want, but ask anybody if they would rather have Dekanich, McKee, or Devine, and no one would say Devine. Maybe it isn't a factor against the lesser-lights of the ECAC, but they won't be playing in Albany.
As for undisciplined play, I hate to break it to you, but Dartmouth has that reputation all over the league. And again, you can point to stats all you want, but bad penalties don't show up anywhere. I think Cornell is underrecognized as a chippy team, but Dartmouth still takes the cake.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:14PM

Colgate and Harvard have the best ability to win the ECAC playoff, present company excepted. Dartmouth obviously didn't tie for the RS title just on fluke wins. But the second game showed a beatable team especially when they lost discipline.

Union is a better QF opponent for us than RPI or someone else in the 6-7-8 range. Although I thought Cornell was way better than both Union AND RPI in the season ending games.

We need to beware the other team's hot scorer ... their Matt Moulson. Eg TJ Trevelyan at St. Lawrence. Our momentary defensive lapses give an advantage to a talented opposing forward. (Although writing that, once I see it, you could say that about any team and its opponents.)

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:16PM

Dart~Ben said:
...SUNY-Ithaca ... an absolute ass-kicking of the Big Red at Thompson...[etc.]

Ben, are those the official statements of Dartmouth Sports Information? I hope not. If you're no longer working for the Dartmouth SID, then I apologize. But if you're still a paid representative of the University, then you need to be held to a higher standard than the average thin-skinned fan. It's ironic that you would enter a discussion on the subject of discipline under those circumstances.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.128.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:23PM

I'm just trading some friendly banter with many people whom I've shared brews with at Albany and elsewhere in the past, as I did earlier in the year.

It should be pretty easy to tell my comments as an alum and fan vs. my official position (which doesn't involve men's hockey at all, btw).

I apologize for leaving off the requisite :-D :-}:-P that signal such intentions.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 02:35PM by Dart~Ben.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:31PM

[Q]
ok, did you actually look at the numbers for Devine or are you just basing it on the same comments that everyone else is saying (a lie told enough times becomes the truth)? [/Q]

None of the above. I based it on my own observations of seeing him play twice in person. He seems to get caught out of position a lot. The third Cornell goal at Lynah should have never happened.

[Q]
Undisciplined? [/Q]

I guess you didn't watch the game at Lynah. Your coach lost control as did your team...and we made them pay twice on the powerplay.

[Q]SUNY-Ithaca [/Q]

I applaud you for getting that insult right. Many people (Colgate students) butcher it to some degree ("Suny-Cornell). What you lack in originality you make up for in accuracy...well done.

[Q]Underestimate them at your peril.[/Q]
Hmm...I think you're giving me too much credit

[Q]In fact, please continue to do so.[/Q]
Gladly

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:59PM

I saw nothing about Union that scares me, EXCEPT for Mayotte -- but even he probably could steal only one game, at best. Union's offense was simply the least imposing I have seen this year. Clarkson and to a lesser extent, RPI, give me more concern.

If we make it to Albany, I think that if we are healthy and can play our "A" game, we will beat any of the other likely opponents. But since we have been so spotty this year, our "A" game is anything but a certainty. If I had to pick one opponent, I would pick Colgate. We seem to have good match-ups with them, and I think it would be a good battle.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 03:57PM

Dart~Ben
[Undisciplined? If the team that is in 7th in the conference in PIM's is undisciplined, what does that make the six teams above them, including SUNY-Ithaca?
Pipe down, Ben...and take that SUNY-Ithaca crap and stick it up your ass. At one time you were a useful participant in this forum, but you're rapidly approaching a jerk.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:03PM

Al DeFlorio
Dart~Ben
[Undisciplined? If the team that is in 7th in the conference in PIM's is undisciplined, what does that make the six teams above them, including SUNY-Ithaca?
Pipe down, Ben...and take that SUNY-Ithaca crap and stick it up your ass. At one time you were a useful participant in this forum, but you're rapidly approaching a jerk.
Al - I think you're overreacting. Except for the SUNY-Ithaca reference, which I took to be in good fun, Ben was just making some relevant statistical arguments.

Date: February 26, 2006 04:04PM

Ben, I don't care if you only write four press releases a year for the women's softball team , and I don't care how many smilies you use, I still have a different standard for you as representative of DU SI. You've chosen to draw the line in a different place, and that's fine -- but trust me, you've stepped well outside standard apractice for our profession.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:26PM

Dartmouth has indeed arrived; people are starting to get pissed at their comments.

Didn't Laing Kennedy say, "everybody thought we were cute until we started winning," or something like that? :-D

I don't see anything to choose from between the top 5 teams -- they're all good and they're all not great.

To return the thread to the topic -- here are Cornell's results against the teams they could potnetially play in the QF:

#10 Quinnipiac (8-13-1, 17-16-1), would have beaten RPI

W 2-1 H
W 6-0 A

#9 Princeton (7-12-3, 10-16-3), would have beaten Clarkson

W 4-1 H
L 0-3 A

#8 Clarkson (9-11-2, 16-15-3), would have beaten Princeton

W 4-2 H
L 1-3 A

#7 RPI (8-8-6, 14-15-6), would have beaten Quinnipiac

T 1-1 H
L 0-2 A

#6 Union (9-9-4, 16-14-6), would have beaten Yale

L 1-2 H
W 2-1 A

Weirdly, Cornell met all five of the opponents at Lynah earlier than their game on the road.

From those stats, I'd pick Quinnipiac, although Cornell only won their matchup at Lynah in the final :23. But that's not going to happen, because Brown isn't going to upset St. Lawrence.

Of the remainder, I don't see much to choose. I guess I'd prefer to stay away from the goalie most able to carry a series, which is Mayotte (Union).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:32PM

I want to see clarkson come to lynah. Besides the fact that my dad is a clarkson alumnus (which means I could stick it to him of clarkson lost) and I am a going there next year (which means I wouldn't be heart broken if cornell lost to clarkson), cornell simply plays better against quality opponents.

look at it, how do you get taken to overtime against brown, tie yale, lose to princeton, and whatnot and then Beat Colgate, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson?

it's playoff time, we want our boys playing there best, which for this team apparently means getting them a good opponent.

Disclaimer: the harvard debacle is the flaw in my logic.

Date: February 26, 2006 04:45PM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio
Dart~Ben
Al - I think you're overreacting. Except for the SUNY-Ithaca reference, which I took to be in good fun, Ben was just making some relevant statistical arguments.

The funny thing is I agree with Ben about Devine (I agree with almost everything Ben has posted over the years). And if I was a Dartmouth fan, I would also be irritated with the way that Ari talks about Dartmouth and its coaching staff. [Edit:] I don't even mind the "SUNY-Ithaca" thing. As a native New Yorker, I'm proud of the way Cornell serves my home state. I can live with the elitist teasing.

What disappoints me is that Ben has chosen to violate standard codes of conduct for sports information professionals, who are normally discouraged from partisan posts on forums like this (even when the subject is outside a person's "beat" area). It's a growing problem in the profession. Different SI shops may draw the line in different places; it's possible that Kathy P's attitudes are different than most of her peers -- I doubt it, but it's possible.

It's hard to hold your fire. I'm not blameless myself -- I once let my guard down and talked about stuff related to Temple University, my current employer, on this forum. I regret doing so, and promised myself not to do so again. It reflected badly on the profession.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 09:08PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:45PM

I would love a "rubber series" after the last two years at Lynah. I live 30 minutes from Ithaca, and since I'm on spring break for the 2nd round, I'd be able to go see those games more easily than anywhere else... if the Knights end up in Hanover, I certainly won't be able to make that trip, although Hamilton might not be out of the question. Less distance, MUCH better environment for college hockey than Thompson or Starr, nice recent playoff rivalry building up. Yeah, Clarkson @ Lynah would be ideal for me... but it would mean Yale and Quinnipiac upsets over Union and RPI. I can see one of them, but both? That's a stretch. All of this, of course, contingent on the Knights making it out of the first round against Princeton, which promises to be a tight series.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.10.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 05:35PM

Hillel Hoffmann
What disappoints me is that (Ben) has chosen to violate standard codes of conduct for sports information professionals, who are normally discouraged from partisan posts on forums like this. It's a growing problem in the profession...

I'm not blameless myself -- I once let my guard down and talked about stuff related to Temple University, my current employer, on this forum. I regret doing so, and promised not to do so again. It reflected badly on the profession.

I generally agree, and believe me I've bitten my tongue numerous times while lurking on here and, especially, USCHO. After having gone back and forth with many person(s) numerous times over the years, it's tough to just sit there and not respond.

That I've let a couple of posts slip through my self-censoring is my mistake, and while I regret ruffling some feathers, I definitely stand behind the statistical points I made.

That said, chalk it up as another life lesson learned. I'll just take notes til June and then make one gargantuan post before I head off to law school (as if that doesn't open up a whole slew of comebacks). :-p :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 05:44PM

This is looking ahead past the QF, but I don't want to play Colgate. Strong top line + good goalie + opponent who always gets up to play us + strong motivation for revenge after the RS games = Danger.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:31PM

daredevilcu
I would love a "rubber series" after the last two years at Lynah. I live 30 minutes from Ithaca, and since I'm on spring break for the 2nd round, I'd be able to go see those games more easily than anywhere else... if the Knights end up in Hanover, I certainly won't be able to make that trip,
Let me get this straight, you're on spring break and you can't get to Hanover.rolleyes Well don't expect any of us to feel sad for you. worry Maybe you come from the long line of Harvard band members.:-D

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:33PM

Dart~Ben
That said, chalk it up as another life lesson learned. I'll just take notes til June and then make one gargantuan post before I head off to law school (as if that doesn't open up a whole slew of comebacks). :-p :-D

Unfortunately, you can't just pretend to be another Dartmouth fan... ;-)

I'm not afraid of playing anyone at home and I'm glad that the team doesn't have to go into an unfriendly barn. I would like to see the team play RPI again; I can not believe that they won the season series.

Date: February 26, 2006 07:21PM

Not sure what's up with the Harvard Philharmonic Pep Band joke, but I'll just assume it's making fun of them more than of me.

I can't get to Hanover because it's a six?? hour drive from Ithaca, and my crappy truck can't survive the drive. You bet your ass if I could find a ride from home to Hanover and back I'd be there, but I can fairly confidently predict that it won't be possible. Middle-of-nowhere towns have that downside. Hamilton, Ithaca, doable in my truck. New Hampshire? Not a prayer.

Since I apparently didn't make a point that I meant to in my last post. I love going to Lynah. It's just a fun atmosphere, especially as an opposing fan. Game 2 of the 2004 series was the most fun I've ever had at a hockey game, and I would love an opportunity to see something like that again, no matter what the odds are. I've been to Thompson, I hated it. Boring place, didn't enjoy the game at all. I can go to Lynah, watch Clarkson lose a close one (Game 2 last year) and enjoy every second of it, except the scoreboard.

That reason is far more important to me than the simple distance of Hanover... and it's why I would prefer Lynah to Starr, since they're both within driving distance. Happier with the clarification?

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:22PM

The Union Women's team. nut

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:26PM

why not get tickets for the series in lynah, and go anyways? you could root for cornell.

-Devin

Date: February 26, 2006 07:31PM

Well, I will probably get tickets for the series at Cornell if Clarkson heads to Dartmouth, and had thought of that. The only way I would cheer for Cornell, though, would be if they were playing SLU. Even then, it'd be a tough moral dilemma :)

EDIT: Yes, I realize that that scenario is impossible.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 07:32PM by daredevilcu.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:50PM

Could someone remind us about reseeding during the ECACHL tournament? I seem to remember that they reseed after the first two rounds, but I don't see anything on their web site specifying that. How about after the semis; who gets the last line change in the finals if #4 wins in its semifinal?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:50PM

They reseed after the first round and the second round.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.117.32.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:11PM

redredux
I kind of like the Cornell/Union matchup. I'd rather host Union than Clarkson or RPI. I know they beat us at Lynah once but I liked what I saw from the Red last night. Mayotte is good but besides him Union doesn't seem too scary. Clarkson and RPI have more skilled players, I think. I like Cornell's chances in a 2 of 3 series at home against a grind it out team like Union. Plus, we'd have the revenge factor since they beat us at home.

I agree. I really saw nothing in Union that would make me dread a best-of-three series against them. If we are close to 100% physically, I don't think we have too much to worry about. Mayotte looked vulnerable last night and our defense was solid (they scored the SHG when we had five forwards).

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:20PM

The higher seed wears the home jerseys and always gets last line change.

As long as everyone gets healthy these next 2 weeks, doesn't matter who we face in the QFs. Based on their play this year, I do almost fear the QF matchups more than games in Albany.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login