Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Rink Renovation

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Lynah Rink Renovation
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:26PM

Well if you want to see what it may be, and get a pitch at the same time, go to www.lynahrink.com . It's informative and understandably they are also asking for money to help. Check it out. For those who can, this is a great time to show your support. It certainly looks like Coach has gotten what he wants and done it well.

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation
Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:30PM

Jim Hyla
Well if you want to see what it may be, and get a pitch at the same time, go to www.lynahrink.com . It's informative and understandably they are also asking for money to help. Check it out. For those who can, this is a great time to show your support. It certainly looks like Coach has gotten what he wants and done it well.

Thanks, a nice site. The Arthur Mintz video is a great feature. edit: unless you are spending $1000 to name a seat, the video is the only cool part about the site. it's still neat though.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 11:34PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:35PM

well if anyone wants to a jump on write offs for next year.... $1k is a good chunk

Date: February 17, 2006 11:45PM

jy3
well if anyone wants to a jump on write offs for next year.... $1k is a good chunk
Then again, if anyone wants to preview their posts, they wouldn't get the grammar police enraged. :-D

Posted by: abmarks (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:26PM

anyone see the interactive map where you could see the already named seats? check out section o - someone named a seat "Lets go red"

I wonder just how creative you can get with your inscription? How much is the premium for a "Harvard Sucks" inscription?

Date: February 18, 2006 02:44PM

Just watched the video. At about the 12 minute mark they show the architectural plans for those trying to figure out the details. I don't think they are going to be zoomed in well enough to just *read* them, but they explain things pretty well with the voice-over.

I'll see if any screen-caps are legible enough to post...

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:45PM

abmarks
anyone see the interactive map where you could see the already named seats? check out section o - someone named a seat "Lets go red"

I wonder just how creative you can get with your inscription? How much is the premium for a "Harvard Sucks" inscription?

On that note, I have heard that Pepsi's contract on the Pepsi Arena has now run out. We should raise some money and put a bid in to rename it the "Harvard Sucks Arena."

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:46PM

Jacob '06
On that note, I have heard that Pepsi's contract on the Pepsi Arena has now run out. We should raise some money and put a bid in to rename it the "Harvard Sucks Arena."

"Lynah Mid East."

Posted by: Liz '05 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:58PM

Jacob '06
abmarks

You beat me to it :-P

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:07PM

If the name actually was printed somewhere at the seat, I might be tempted to actually bite on this.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:09PM

I'd see naming seats as a *path* to actually having seats instead of benches. I'm not sure about the rest of you (:-P ) but comfort be damned! I like my benches

edit: happy? rolleyes
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2006 11:57PM by nr53.

Date: February 18, 2006 03:17PM

nr53
I'd see naming seats as a segway to actually having seats instead of benches. I'm not sure about the rest of you (:-P ) but comfort be damned! I like my benches
There's not room enough for seats. Check out Section C. However I do like the idea of a nameplate on the bench.

Posted by: Liz '05 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:17PM

Maybe it's the box seats that are getting named? I'd be okay with a "Harvard Sucks!" box seat :)

Date: February 18, 2006 03:22PM

Liz '05
Maybe it's the box seats that are getting named? I'd be okay with a "Harvard Sucks!" box seat :)

Nope, it's every seat in the rink. go to the website- there's a ninteractive "what's available" section and it's every section of the rink.

And for people wondering about replacing everything with seats: wouldn't it make sense to do that in one big campaign now rather then wait for a future date?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:59PM

abmarks
And for people wondering about replacing everything with seats: wouldn't it make sense to do that in one big campaign now rather then wait for a future date?
Yich... I think it makes more sense simply NOT to do that. :)

Kyle

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 09:53PM

I'm a little confused. When I look at the sections I see all the Red seats reserved for season ticket holders, so they'll get first crack. That's makes sense to me. Then I see all these white seats open for bidding, ie, not reserved by season ticket holders. That would seem to imply that those seats aren't sold as season tickets. Yet, there's a waiting list for season tickets which hasn't had any movement for a couple of years? I must be missing something.

Date: February 18, 2006 10:38PM

ithacat
I'm a little confused. When I look at the sections I see all the Red seats reserved for season ticket holders, so they'll get first crack. That's makes sense to me. Then I see all these white seats open for bidding, ie, not reserved by season ticket holders. That would seem to imply that those seats aren't sold as season tickets. Yet, there's a waiting list for season tickets which hasn't had any movement for a couple of years? I must be missing something.
There are seats for the team, athletic dept., etc..

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:45PM

Jim Hyla
ithacat
There are seats for the team, athletic dept., etc..

Oh, yeah...forgot about them. Thanks, Jim.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 12:13AM

If I buy a seat, can I sit in it whenever I want? That's not a bad way to drop a grand.

MAE '08

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 12:23PM

One of the best parts is the video of the Providence playoff game in 1979. I don't think I'd ever seen that clip before.

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 12:59PM

Free11Skier
If I buy a seat, can I sit in it whenever I want? That's not a bad way to drop a grand.

no, you will just get to name the seat....has nothing to do w/ season tickets/getting to sit in it

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2006 01:00PM

Hehe. No, John Webster was quite explicit about that, and I gather there's a suitable disclaimer on the site. Your $1,000 gives you only the right to "name" the seat, not buy season tickets, sit in that seat, or anything else.

One thing that bothers me is all the talk about this being "permanent." Frankly, $1,000 sounds low to name the seat forever, whether or not anything actually appears on the seat. (And, yes, the name SHOULD appear on the seat.) What's to stop them from taking down these big lists of names when they do the next renovation to Lynah in another eight years? The same impulse that stopped them from keeping Alumni Fields available for student use in perpetuity?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.17.158.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 01:11PM

Jason L
Free11Skier

no, you will just get to name the seat....has nothing to do w/ season tickets/getting to sit in it

Though townie season ticket holders have first crack at naming their own seats.

One seat in O is already dedicated to "Let's go red." How long until it's neighbor is "harvard sucks"?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 01:45PM

mha
One thing that bothers me is all the talk about this being "permanent." Frankly, $1,000 sounds low to name the seat forever, whether or not anything actually appears on the seat. (And, yes, the name SHOULD appear on the seat.) What's to stop them from taking down these big lists of names when they do the next renovation to Lynah in another eight years? The same impulse that stopped them from keeping Alumni Fields available for student use in perpetuity?
Yes, there's precedent. When Northeastern rehabbed the old Boston Arena we put our names on two seats and they have since been replaced.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:12PM

Are they still planning on putting the locker rooms on the upper floor?

Date: February 20, 2006 05:06PM

The plan clearly says single story, which will obviously be at the concourse level. So I'd say yes.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2006 06:17PM

I disagree. If you look at the plans in the video, all of the coach and player rooms (locker rooms, exercise, video, etc.) take up the whole new addition. That level must be below ground, so that on ground level an entrance for the public can be made. Anyone notice this too?

Date: February 20, 2006 06:27PM

canuck89
I disagree. If you look at the plans in the video, all of the coach and player rooms (locker rooms, exercise, video, etc.) take up the whole new addition. That level must be below ground, so that on ground level an entrance for the public can be made. Anyone notice this too?
I can't remember whether the facilities took up the entire space or just most of it. And since I streamed the vid I can't just check again without downloading it again. But I find it hard to square this with "single-story".

Date: February 20, 2006 06:40PM

I agree, but when I rewatched the video, there was absolutely no entrance for the public. The weird thing was, there was an entrance design in the front (pillar-like things with an overhang), but the room on the other side the wall next to this was the exercise room. There is no foyer, lobby, entrance or even a lot of fire exit room in the plans. One-story means just that, however, the current plans in my mind seem to just show the improved rink facilities with a possible entrance actually above them on the ground floor. I dunno...

Posted by: lhayes (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 07:08PM

If I recall correctly, the plans printed in the Ithaca Journal have a rather narrow entrance/lobby toward the west side of the addition, between the new multi-function room in the southwest corner and all the rest of the new facilities to the east. I'm feeling very sure this is all on the level of the existing parking lot. But maddeningly, the plans didn't show any tunnel connecting the locker rooms with the ice. I guess we still don't know how that's going to work.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:49PM

Team-sized elevators.

Posted by: DL (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:37PM

Jim Hyla
nr53
I'd see naming seats as a segway to actually having seats instead of benches. I'm not sure about the rest of you (:-P ) but comfort be damned! I like my benches
There's not room enough for seats. Check out Section C. However I do like the idea of a nameplate on the bench.

Segway(TM)'s are involved in this?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 12:01AM

Wait, there has to be access from the locker rooms to the ice?! help

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 21, 2006 12:01AM

Someone correct me if i don't rememember this right, but I think Michigan's locker room may be upstairs at Yost?

Posted by: Panhandler (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:11PM

The vast majority of red seats are being held until April 17 for season ticket holders (the townies)... they have first right to name those seats. While the seats in the student section are available now to name, they are still considered held by "season ticket holders." The big difference is that the townies (who pay full freight) can renew their seat every year... the student's season tickets are not renewable. Almost every seat in Lynah is held by a season ticket holder.

Date: February 22, 2006 01:17PM

... no nameplates on the seats. The recognition will be presented at each section on the new concourse walls on a large "rendering" of that section and each dedication will be presented there. So if I named a seat in Section "O" and my dedication read... "section O sucks" then that would be presented on the recogniton area of that section. Of course, I think they'll be editing dedications.

Date: February 22, 2006 01:20PM

... don't want to change the character of Lynah. And, if they changed from benches to seats, they'd lose hundereds of seats!

Date: February 22, 2006 01:31PM

... the additon is at the concourse level. The players will walk down a flight of stairs, through a to be built tunnel and on to the ice through the penalty box... I think! The diagram in the video actually shows the rink level and concourse levels in the same time.

Date: February 22, 2006 01:37PM

abmarks
Someone correct me if i don't rememember this right, but I think Michigan's locker room may be upstairs at Yost?

... you are correct!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:45PM

There's no indication of where the new vomitoria are from the video (which, is sooooooooooooo amazingly cool, and a great job writing and narrating by King Arthur!)

Betcha it will be a great addition: they'll rip out the stupid butt-fitting plastic buckets which have marred C for a decade, they'll return C to the students while grandfathering in those of us who want to stay there... and then where my seat used to be there will be an irregular parallelipiped of cold air and the top two-thirds of a usher's hat, while my new seat will be in H... :-(

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:46PM

Panhandler
abmarks

... you are correct!
Eeew... is this really not a problem?

I mean, I suppose I could understand that it might not be given the guys' conditioning, but I know I find traversing stairs in skates (especially down) to be personally very annoying, and potentially dangerous.

But if Schafer thinks this is okay, then I'll defer to him since he has a lot more perspective on the issue than I do. It just doesn't seem like excavation to put the locker rooms on the same or similar level to the ice is such a huge issue. But what the hell do I know...

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:49PM

If you think they're going to grandfather in those of us who want to stay in Section C, why would your new seat be in Section H?

I'd be happy to get grandfathered into my current seats in C surrounded by undergraduate students - it'll mean I can stand up for the games again and finally see some of what's happening in the west corner!!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 22, 2006 01:58PM

Beeeej
If you think they're going to grandfather in those of us who want to stay in Section C, why would your new seat be in Section H?

As in, if the new tunnel goes right through it. Didn't they teach you to read in law school? B-]

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 02:11PM

Trotsky
Beeeej

As in, if the new tunnel goes right through it. Didn't they teach you to read in law school? B-]

Sorry, you said something about parallel bipeds, and I tuned right out. :-)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Re: Lynah Rink Renovation - handicap access for players?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:43PM

If the locker room has stairs leading to a tunnel leading to the rink, is the locker room then A.D.A.-compliant without an elevator? Seems a joke ... if you're disabled, you wouldn't be playing Big Red hockey ... but the law may not allow for distinctions involving common sense. What if, for instance, a physically challenged person in a wheelchair wanted to be team manager, they'd argue? How could they cope?

Date: February 22, 2006 04:36PM

They still have the other locker rooms on rink level for those people. And also, disabled people do more than coach -- they also play hockey too. It may not look the same on ice, but there are hockey leagues for the disabled.

Date: February 22, 2006 04:37PM

Is the entrance gonna be that tiny thing at the West end then? Ew, that sucks.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 04:40PM

canuck89
Is the entrance gonna be that tiny thing at the West end then? Ew, that sucks.
Yeah, cause that's so much worse than the tiny thing we currently have at the west end. :)

Kyle

Date: February 22, 2006 04:42PM

Well, considering the number of rooms in lynah is increasing by ~10 times, I figured the entrance could do a little better than just having one extra door! :-P

Date: February 22, 2006 05:11PM

Whether or not disabled people play hockey too is irrelevant. I'm pretty comfortable saying that people who can't climb stairs are not going to be playing varsity college hockey. Folks playing IM or other hockey won't be using the new locker rooms at Lynah.

Even if the law is silly enough to not allow such distinctions, which given the vagueness of the ADA probably just means you've found a judge who is silly enough, you still need someone with standing to sue. That pretty much only leaves the disabled team managers and coaches that Bill brings up. Frankly that's pretty unlikely to happen and regardless, wouldn't clambering around the bench be just or more of a problem for someone in a wheelchair? God help us if the courts ever force every hockey rink in the country to lay out it's benches so they're big enough for two wheel chairs to pass as a matter of law.

Of course, this is all beside the point. I'm pretty sure that they will be installing an elevator as part of the renovation.

Date: February 22, 2006 05:16PM

KeithK
Whether or not disabled people play hockey...

Yes, yes, thank you for playing. Please include the "predictable rant we were all waiting for" tags as a courtesy next time.

(My favorite flavor of this particular red herring is the minigolf example, by the way. It's much more effective than hockey, since those wheelchair hockey guys are actually pretty cool.)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 05:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 22, 2006 06:31PM

... there is an elevator. They are ADA compliant!

Date: February 22, 2006 06:34PM

[q]Yes, yes, thank you for playing. Please include the "predictable rant we were all waiting for" tags as a courtesy next time. [/q]Hey, I did have some useful information to add to the discussion too (the elevator). I just felt like prefacing it with said rant. :-P

Date: February 22, 2006 06:42PM

KeithK
[q]Yes, yes, thank you for playing. Please include the "predictable rant we were all waiting for" tags as a courtesy next time. [/q]Hey, I did have some useful information to add to the discussion too (the elevator). I just felt like prefacing it with said rant. :-P

True enough. My bad. :-D

(And still, no Franklin Cover thread on the OT forum...) :-(

Date: February 22, 2006 07:46PM

KeithK
Well, they do. Just ask McKee. I know you meant physically disabled, but... .;-)

Date: February 22, 2006 07:52PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Well, they do. Just ask McKee.
I know McKee's been having a rough year, but this is a bit harsh, don't you think? ;-)

Kyle

Date: February 22, 2006 08:08PM

krose
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Well, they do. Just ask McKee.
I know McKee's been having a rough year, but this is a bit harsh, don't you think? ;-)

Kyle
No, not at all. I was referring to his well known learning disability. After all, because of it he's raising money for charity.

Date: February 22, 2006 08:11PM

[q](And still, no Franklin Cover thread on the OT forum...)[/q]Nice thread title! :-D

Date: February 22, 2006 08:17PM

Jim Hyla
No, not at all. I was referring to his well known learning disability. After all, because of it he's raising money for charity.
Now that you mention it, I do recall reading something about this... I guess I didn't file it as "disability" because to me that implies something that keeps someone from living a normal life, which clearly isn't the case with McKee. I, for instance, can't see correctly out of my right eye, but I don't consider myself disabled despite being unable to adequately play certain sports (e.g., tennis, baseball, etc.) because of it. But, point taken.

Cheers,
Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 08:17PM by krose.

Date: February 22, 2006 08:33PM

My kid has the same issue as Mckee and it's a bear to read and study. Doesn't mean you're dumb; it does mean it's harder to absorb what they're teaching in high school, let alone college, let alone Cornell. [Or Clarkson, Rich S, in case you figure a thread with "handicap" has a Golden Knight slur.] Charles Schwab, similarly affected, calls it a learning difference, I believe, and if you want funding from CS for your charitable group, you learn to call it that. Apparently whatever-it-is has never affected the 0-9 part of the alphanumeric set for Schwab. [www.schwablearning.org]

Date: February 22, 2006 08:43PM

Well, it's classified as a disability and while it may not be as serious as being a paraplegic it qualifies - "A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area."

Date: February 22, 2006 09:09PM

Well, I checked the IJ report and diagram and it looks like one story at the upper level of Lynah. There are stairs coming up the sw corner near the current student entrance at sec A. There is shown a wider concourse behind the added seats, A-E. The locker rooms are shown at the same level with an elevator at the top of the stairs. However, none of this is perfectly shown, so I'm speculating somewhat.

The article mentions "There, at concourse level, will be the aforemenyioned new locker rooms...". "A tunnel will connect the locker rooms to the rink, near center ice." No mention of how the team will get to the tunnel.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:49PM

why build an elevator when you can use a ramp?

Date: February 22, 2006 10:52PM

I think an escalator would be the easiest and safest way. laugh

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:01PM

The Rancor
A ramp takes up tremendously more real estate. It has to be very gentle - think of a) a runaway wheel chair and b) propelling yourself uphill in a wheel chair - and it also has to have flat resting spots every so often. You would need to do a whole lot of digging to make an accessible ramp from the concourse level down to ice level.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:02PM

The Rancor
You'd have to start the ramp somewhere around the back of the Schoellkopf Crescent. Max slope for a ramp is 1-in-12 and I think you have to have a new segment every 30 inches of rise.

If Ned Harkness were still here, he'd probably have the steps to the visitor locker room have 6 inches of rise. And then every third step would be 8 inches or 4-1/2 inches, masked by extra padding under the rubber that collapsed when you stepped on it. And the visitor locker room thermostat would have two settings: 40 and 40, centigrade and fahrenheit.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 01:23AM

and the best part is that an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

sorry I was just reminded of that Mitch Hedberg quote:-P

Date: February 23, 2006 07:26AM

Jim Hyla
No, not at all. I was referring to his well known learning disability.

Being southern is a learning disability?

Well... now that you mention it...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2006 07:26AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 23, 2006 01:36PM

billhoward
If Ned Harkness were still here, he'd probably have the steps to the visitor locker room have 6 inches of rise. And then every third step would be 8 inches or 4-1/2 inches, masked by extra padding under the rubber that collapsed when you stepped on it. And the visitor locker room thermostat would have two settings: 40 and 40, centigrade and fahrenheit.
Paint the walls pink, and add a loop of the cowbell cheer piped in over a Muzak system, and you're there.

Date: February 23, 2006 01:47PM

Ned was a genius and a great competitor and we loved him because he was our guy. Wonder what we would have called him if he coached Harvard or BU instead and used those same tactics?

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 23, 2006 01:49PM

billhoward
Ned was a genius and a great competitor and we loved him because he was our guy. Wonder what we would have called him if he coached Harvard or BU instead and used those same tactics?

Red Auerbach?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 05:08PM

KeithK
One of the best parts is the video of the Providence playoff game in 1979. I don't think I'd ever seen that clip before.

I'd never seen the clip before, either. It brought back one of my favorite memories of 4 years on the Hill. The Nethery goal was exactly as I remembered it. What's interesting is I have no memory at all of Gemmell's game winner. And yes, I was sober. ;-)

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:34PM

Perfect opening for Rich S. What were you thinking, Bill?

Date: February 24, 2006 01:03PM

ninian '72
Perfect opening for Rich S. What were you thinking, Bill?

He was thinking that Ned was a cheater who only had such a good record because he was afraid of playing Clarkson.

Call me Kreskin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login