Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Disappointment with faithful?

Posted by jimmy 
Disappointment with faithful?
Posted by: jimmy (---.lightlink.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:51PM

Hey everybody...I was just wondering if anybody else was disappointed with the way the fans reacted to the final score of the Harvard/Colgate game. The crowd cheered for Harvard's loss although it kept Colgate just one point behind us. It's always nice to see a rival lose, especially when you are just one night away from a game with them, but at this late point in the season when every point separation in the standings is important I had hoped some fans would realize it would help us more if Harvard had one. It would have given us a 3 point lead with three games to play, and secured us first place at the close of the weekend regardless of tomorrow night's results.

Just wanted to see if anybody else was disappointed with that or if it was just me.

Re: Disappointment with faithful?
Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:02PM

I think people just don't know how to react to the colgate-harvard score, especially if they don't know the point standings. i was more disappointed with a very run-of-the-mill cheer enthusiasm factor (at least from where i am in A), but i suppose it just might be that people are gearing up for the matchup tomorrow.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:24PM

Given how we tend to play against bad teams, I'm not even sure if we want that top seeding :-P. But yeah, I think people were thinking more about how Sucks sucks than about how the rankings play out. Then again, if it means that we're already psyched up for tomorrow, maybe it's a good thing.

And above all, we should remember that being a hockey fan is supposed to be fun, and rooting against Harvard is fun. So if people want to cheer at Harvard losing, I say, let 'em. Hopefully they'll be doing the same tomorrow!

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:33PM

Someone put it will on USCHO, it wasnt for Colgate winning, it was for Harvard losing.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:37PM

Harvard sucks. Its always appropriate to cheer for their loss.

Then again, I never mind Colgate losing anyway.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:01AM

jimmy
It would have given us a 3 point lead with three games to play, and secured us first place at the close of the weekend regardless of tomorrow night's results.
Explain this please. We might have secured home ice and a bye, but first place? screwy Maybe some fans do understand.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:16AM

He probably meant *depending on* tomorrow night's results... but definitely not what he said. Then again, Harvard's loss puts us right on the cusp of clinching the bye.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.rsip.orl.wayport.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:20AM

Jim Hyla
jimmy
It would have given us a 3 point lead with three games to play, and secured us first place at the close of the weekend regardless of tomorrow night's results.
Explain this please. We might have secured home ice and a bye, but first place? screwy Maybe some fans do understand.

I'm pretty sure he meant that at the end of this weekend we would still be in first place, had Colgate lost tonight, no matter what happens tomorrow night.
Andy W.

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:59AM

Agreed. The crowd in A was the worst it has been all season. Let's hope this changes for Saturday night.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 01:00AM by montague.

Posted by: brian m (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:31AM

people don't know point standings. that's why they cheered for that score. yes, it's stupid. darn. also, the fans in section A have been awesome (i speak as one of them). that two minute chant of "sieve" during the power-play was fantastic.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:49AM

brian m
people don't know point standings. that's why they cheered for that score. yes, it's stupid. darn. also, the fans in section A have been awesome (i speak as one of them). that two minute chant of "sieve" during the power-play was fantastic.

yes, the slow sieve cheer proved successful. as long as the length of the word sieve is emphasized, people will realize that this isn't one of the typical speed-it-up cheers. hopefully tomorrow we can get the entirety of A and then B to catch on to it. it has the potential to be one of the most effective cheers in the arsenal.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:59AM

Agreed...The corwd in A/B was pretty awful, but the slow sieve chant. I had to explain it to a few people in B but it's great in that it lasts so long and it doesn't strain your voice. It sounded like zombies were cheering it, and a few people who didn't know about the chant said it was very distracting and they thought it was a great idea.

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 07:19AM

Ditto. We were sitting in O. It was easier for the opponents sitting in the section to understand; the low rumble sounded great. Some of our cheers are only understood by the faithful - opponents sit there asking, "What are they saying?"

IMHO it's as important to figure out the right "time" in the game/play to do the chant as it is to say it at the right tempo and murmur level.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 08:47AM

I actually started that chant (along with Tim, Chris and Mike next to me)... it took us some time to work out when to start it. I would prefer to start one right after Arthur announces the goal- it suddenly gets quiet, and it's still on the sieve's mind.

Yesterday, though, was just practice so people would know what we're saying today...plus, by the time I remembered to do it it was late in the third, so the power play seemed most appropriate.

Posted by: Ken'70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:25AM

If they were concerned with the national picture rather than just the ECAC standings then this was the correct response.;-)

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:55AM

Cheery for the SUCKS loss is also so that they dont' have any kind of momentum going into tonight's game. THough I had hoped for a tie, I'm by no means upset at the outcome.

I agree that A/B were very bad last night. Whenever Ari started the LGR cheer, nobody followed...that was very frustrating. Let's hope we bring the A game tonight...

Gimme an A
A
Gimme an A
A
Gimme an A
A
Welcome to Hahvahd

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:26AM

Ken'70
If they were concerned with the national picture rather than just the ECAC standings then this was the correct response.;-)

Also if the concern was about wrapping up a first round bye as opposed to coming in first the Harvard loss helped more than a Colgate loss would have. The loss means we're 6 points up on the #5 team with just 3 games to play. Had Harvard won we'd only be 4 points up on the #5 team.

In fact I just threw a bunch of possibilities into the ECAC race script at TBRW and I believe the Harvard loss last night means we have at this point clinched a first round bye. Essentially the fact that SLUt and Sucks still have to play each other more or less locks it up for us.

There was only one combination of games I came up with that even makes it close. It is possible for Cornell to drop into a 3 way tie for 3rd, but in that case they would be seeded 4th as they win the tiebreaker over SLU. (This scenario would require Harvard to win 3, Cornell to lose 3, and SLU to win their two games that aren't against Harvard. Harvard would be seeded 3rd as they'd win the first "three way" tiebreaker.)

So, congrats the the mathematical wizards at Lynah last night who realized the Harvard loss clinched a first round bye for Cornell! Way to go guys!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 11:29AM by schoaff.

Posted by: mikee293 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:29AM

aznxjz

Gimme an A
A
Gimme an A
A
Gimme an A
A
Welcome to Hahvahd

Hahahahaha nice.

And ya, I'm in A, and it was pretty bad...I was looking forward to the Dartmouth game as one of the big games of the year (from an excitement level). I thought it would rank up there with the Mich. State and St. Lawrence games....but I was very disappointed. I think a big reason why is that there are a lot of non-fans who got season tickets and didn't go to many games, and pretty much got tix for harvard.....then decided to come out last night to warm up. Overhearing conversations just from around me, there were three different groups of people (so like 6-8 ppl in total) who had either never been to a game before or not gone to one yet this year. This typically does not make for a loud and rowdy bunch.

I really hope this doesnt carry over into harvard

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:31AM

Overhearing conversations just from around me, there were three different groups of people (so like 6-8 ppl in total) who had either never been to a game before or not gone to one yet this year. This typically does not make for a loud and rowdy bunch.
Simply one more reason to go back to general admission. Those facetimers aren't going to get there 2 hours before even the Harvard game.

Kyle

Posted by: mikee293 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:21PM

krose
Simply one more reason to go back to general admission. Those facetimers aren't going to get there 2 hours before even the Harvard game.
Kyle

I disagree.....I think it's one more reason to make people spend even more time in the line. If you have to spend just one night in the line, and you split it up over 5 people, then its a few hours and its nothing. I would prefer they do what they did last year, where its wed night to sat night.....so people on the fence will be forced to make a commitment or not go at all.

Or....they should have a fan meter. You measure the level of fanness, which then decides the distribution of tickets. I'm working on a prototype now.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:31PM

That's disgusting. I actually thought the sections had gotten better throughout the year. To think that many of those people were not the season ticket holders who are gonna be there tonight is scary. I will be 100X louder! :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 01:55PM by canuck89.

Posted by: scannon (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:07PM

I say just hold the lie over fall break, make people give something significant up to get tickets.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:25PM

The tickets should have been given out that first night (Saturday) when only 200 people were on central and were willing to give up alcohol, unlike the 2000 others.

Posted by: jimmy (---.lightlink.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:33PM

I absolutely agree. Give the people who are willing to give up a night on the weekend the best tickets. If they just give it out the night when everyoody starts to wait and give them out where everybody is waiting, the true fans are not going to get the best tickets. It just isn't fair.

Even better, give juniors and seniors who have waited in line for tickets for 2 or 3 years the advantage and save them the top line numbers. They have a list of everybody who purchased tickets each year. It shouldn't be that difficult. Because of this system, I'm stuck in E where I honestly heard somebody ask if the A on Chris Abbott's shirt was because he was "Abbott A and the other one was Abbott B". I asked them if they were serious...and they said yes.:`(

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:49PM

jimmy
Because of this system, I'm stuck in E where I honestly heard somebody ask if the A on Chris Abbott's shirt was because he was "Abbott A and the other one was Abbott B". I asked them if they were serious...and they said yes.:`(

Oh dear, that is bad. If the ushers come to your section looking to throw someone out for inappropriate language and/or Fish Tossing maybe you can point at the clueless idiot and get them tossed instead of someone who actually knows something about hockey.

Posted by: Liz '05 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:56PM

On the other hand, you can take the opportunity to educate them. I was disappointed that a kid at the top of B last night didn't know what icing and offsides were, but at least now he knows - and he won't make the "you lose" mistake again.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:07PM

I found this on CSTV. Glad to know we can impress even on an off night:-)

[slog.cstv.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:26PM

[q]With no scoring in the third period, I had more of a chance to just listen to the Lynah Faithful. I think it's safe to say that BU will not be defending its unofficial Rink Rat award for best home fans. The thing about Cornell fans is that they simply refuse to shut up, and that's not a bad thing. It's not wall to wall chanting, but when the assembled masses aren't yelling, there always seems to be someone getting on the goaltender.[/q]

I think this is a pretty fair assessment; whether we're up big against Quinnipiac or down big against Dartmouth, we never sit back and shut up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login