Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The New Radio Guy

Posted by gbr 
The New Radio Guy
Posted by: gbr (---)
Date: October 28, 2002 04:17PM

I missed the game...is he good? Not so good?

Re: The New Radio Guy
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: October 28, 2002 04:28PM

The York game wasn't broadcast, so there's no evidence, yet. But Adam did a capable job doing color with Grady during a game or two last season.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: October 28, 2002 07:41PM

Will Adam be alone on the 'cast? Play by play is incredibly hard -- most NHL calls aren't even good.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: October 29, 2002 06:40PM

Adam does have professional play-by-play experience in the minors and I believe also at Princeton. But I've never heard him.

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:32AM

Not sure if I agree with Greg's assessment of NHL guys, but :-)

to answer his question, and to fill everyone in ... we are working on unveiling a couple ex-JV players (circa 1980s) to be analysts for the home broadcasts. On the road, it will be mostly solo, with the occasional help of a crack committee of ace fill-ins.

Looking forward to Friday.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: October 30, 2002 01:41AM

[Q]Looking forward to Friday.[/Q]
Amen! Though my parents will be in town so I won't be able to listen to the game in it's entirety... nor will I be joining the #lynah chat, those'll have to wait for the Vt/DU weekend.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: October 30, 2002 09:29PM

So, what happenned to Peter Tufford?

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: October 31, 2002 09:31AM

A few years ago when I lived close enough to Princeton, I used to listen to PU hockey on 920am. I remember that the play-by-play was excellent, and even defended it on CHDB when all the non-Grady commentators were beiing trashed.

I think that was Adam....maybe he can confirm or deny this.

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: October 31, 2002 10:18AM

How would Adam know when you lived near Princeton? :-) But yes, Adam was a play-by-play announcer for Princeton hockey from 1993-97. Does that fit?

Date: October 31, 2002 10:27AM

Yes, 1995-1997 would be just right.

I remember the most annoying thing about those broadcasts was that they only had 1 or 2 sponsers, and you heard the same ads over and over and over.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: October 31, 2002 01:38PM

I have to say, though, that Adam's replacement, circa 2000, is somewhat soporific. snore

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: October 31, 2002 01:52PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

I have to say, though, that Adam's replacement, circa 2000, is somewhat soporific. snore
Are you sure it's not just Princeton hockey that's soporific?

Date: October 31, 2002 05:24PM

John - perhaps tomorrow you can teach me what Soporific means. Sorry, I'm not an Ivy Leaguer -- just an IC-grad wannabe.

Thanks for the kind words Neal. I think I remember getting e-mail from you way back when, or reading messages somewhere. Mark has the dates correct, 1993-97. I spent 2 years in the UHL with Quad City (a double-A league, but we packed a 9300-seat arena every night, and the people there thought it was the NHL) ... and then 2-plus years in Philadelphia, broadcasting a handful of games only since we were the only team in North American pro hockey without a radio contract (don't get me started).

I leave Princeton, and they win the ECAC tournament. At least Quad City won the 1998 UHL championship (I think I was more excited for Princeton).

Sorry about the lack of ads on good ole WTTM 920 ... but that's what happens when 100 people are listening. We actually had 10 sponsors, truth be told.

To answer someone's question about Peter Tufford ... he decided to retire and become a fan again.

And ... finally ... just because I'm semi-lurking ... don't be afraid to criticize (it certainly never stopped the people in Quad City) ... Just try to leave out the profanity, threats to my children, and insults to my mother. You keep me on my toes ... and I'll be sure to do the same for all y'all.

Date: October 31, 2002 05:29PM

Adam Wodon wrote:

...don't be afraid to criticize...
Not to worry, Adam. But since very few of us remote from Ithaca will be listening to you...:-P

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: November 01, 2002 01:28AM

adam--look at the icon by josh's message for the definition of soporific...basically inducing someone into that state :)

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: November 01, 2002 07:51AM

[www.dictionary.com]

Capt Pedantry exits stage left....

Date: November 01, 2002 10:32AM

Its an amazing world...last week I wouldn't have been able to tell you what or where Quad City is....and this week, I find out they are big hockey fans and I might be going there (Moline to be precise) for work in a few months.

As a Suburban Philly resident...I will admit that I didn't know the Phantoms had a radio station...but I know they were on comcast a few times...did you get any TV time Adam?

Date: November 01, 2002 11:57AM

Early in my career I interviewed for a job in Moline, but it fell through and we wound up in Peoria instead. Sort of a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of thing.

Not much in the Quad Cities but John Deere, Neil. Good luck. It'll be a new adventure after Philly.

Date: November 01, 2002 01:04PM

I am sure it is a wonderful place....and I may get to experience it...but only for a few weeks during an installation. Sorry if I was unclear.

Posted by: Petunia LiCicero '95 (---)
Date: November 01, 2002 06:18PM

I used to listen to Princeton hockey during winter break from my parent's house in Lawrenceville, I'm sure I heard you in 1993 or 1994, but I didn't realize you were the USCHO columninst. At the time, the only way you could find out what was going on in college hockey was that, and a weekly column in the New York Times, I forget the columnist's name, William something?
Anyway, I enjoy your gossipy ecac columns on uscho, but I'm not paying the money for the internet audiocasts.

Date: November 01, 2002 06:33PM

William Wallace, IIRC.

No one should pay for the damn broadcasts.

Posted by: JDeafv (---)
Date: November 01, 2002 10:40PM

The play-by-play was pretty good during the game - but my biggest problem was that he didn't say the score enough! Radio listeners tune in-and-out and need to have the scored updated constantly!

After the OSU goal he didn't announce the score until the next break, and that was annoying because I tuned in 3 mins before.

Moulson - any update?

LGR!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: November 02, 2002 02:08AM

Personally I like to hear the announcement of the goal and assists over the P.A., but this is generally close to impossible unless the press box is physically wired to the P.A. output.

IMHO a solid "A" for Adam tonight, and excellent enthusiasm during the game as well. I hope they can budget him a color man, since doing it all solo has gotta be damn hard.

Date: November 03, 2002 03:11AM

Petunia ... I don't think I write gossip, at least I hope not. :-)

Thanks for all the comments, pro and con ...

Neil ... my sympathies. Bring your own food. The only thing good there is the beer.

Date: November 03, 2002 07:13AM

The catfish ain't bad.;-)

Posted by: dodger916 (---)
Date: November 03, 2002 08:36AM

With all this complaining about paying for the broadcasts, does anyone know WHY there's a charge for it now? How much is it anyway?

Why and how much?
Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 04, 2002 01:28PM

The Cornell College Sports Pass through RealNetworks is $6.95 per month, or $18.95 for three months.

As far as I can tell from combining all of the contradictory info I've heard, Cornell went with a commercial service primarily so they could provide Internet feeds of all four primary sports (the four that have season-long radio coverage) without having to go to the equipment and staff expenses of doing it themselves. They could have paid for a commercial service and made it free to users, or left those who wanted to listen to contract with the commercial service individually. They took the latter path.

That's my interpretation, not anyone's official statement of policy.

Posted by: RAR (128.103.171.---)
Date: November 04, 2002 02:50PM

Not being familiar with Adam Wodon's play-by-play, I am really interested in listening to the Cornell feed to see how he compares with the legendary Grady Wittenburg.

For now (as long as I can listen to our games for free), I'm sorry to say I won't be able to listen to the Voice of Cornell Big Red Hockey. No offense to Adam, but if Grady was still calling our games, I probably would have (grudgingly) signed up for the Cornell Pass.

Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: November 04, 2002 03:07PM

You could take advantage of the free 15 day trial on a couple of weekends to see if you think it is worth shelling out the $$ for. This is probably the best way to fill in for one of the missing Princeton games this season, btw. (Or for the Everblades torney so you won't have to hear that OSU feed again help )

LGR!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login