Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard ejectsion

Posted by Brian M 
Harvard ejectsion
Posted by: Brian M (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:08PM

will they really eject fans who throw fish or is this a scare tactic?

also, will they really give a 5 minute major? that seems absurd to punish the players for what the fans do.

Re: Harvard ejectsion
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:21PM

Brian M
will they really eject fans who throw fish or is this a scare tactic?

also, will they really give a 5 minute major? that seems absurd to punish the players for what the fans do.

To answer your first question, yes. I have no doubt that they will toss several people very visibly to make an example of them. I have a feeling the police and "police auxiliary" have been told to do so. They've tossed people for much dumber things. That said, if a lot of people participate, like they always do, there's no way they can toss everyone who tosses a fish. So, it's a risk.

To answer your second question, not a 5-minute major. If a fish is tossed after the warning has been read over the PA, then Cornell will be assessed a delay of game penalty, which is a 2-minute minor. This happened in the '94-'95 game. Someone in E threw a fish as Harvard skated out for the 2nd period, the penalty was assessed, Harvard scored on the ensuing PP, and Cornell lost 2-1, I think. There was a personal in the Sun the next week that read "To the dumbass in Section E: Everybody hates you."

So, while I like the tradition of the fish toss...

DON'T THROW FISH AFTER LINEUPS BEFORE THE GAME!!!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:21PM

I believe it's spelled eject-shun

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:51PM

RichH
DON'T THROW FISH AFTER LINEUPS BEFORE THE GAME!!!

[amurgsval.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Brian M (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:02AM

sorry, i can't type.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:07AM

Brian M
sorry, i can't type.

It is confusing. In order to capitalize a letter, try pressing down on the SHIFT key while typing the letter. :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 12:09AM by Roy 82.

Posted by: nyiballs (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:05AM

Roy 82
Brian M
sorry, i can't type.

It is confusing. In order to capitalize a letter, try pressing down on the SHIFT key while typing the letter. :-D

I hit 'shift' and decided I didn't want the letter capitalized, so I hit 'shift' again while I typed, but it still came out capital? How do I make a letter not be capital when I have already hit 'shift' ??

Posted by: nyiballs (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:05AM

nyiballs
Roy 82
Brian M
sorry, i can't type.

I hit 'shift' and decided I didn't want the letter capitalized, so I hit 'shift' again while I typed, but it still came out capital? How do I make a letter not be capital when I have already hit 'shift' ??

And where's that Tab that I ordered? nut

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:24AM

nyiballs
And where's that Tab that I ordered? nut

here ??

Posted by: mikee293 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:45AM

so can we go to Bright, throw some stuff on the ice at the opening of the 2nd period, and then have Harvard serve 2 mins in the box?

Posted by: sockralex (---.travelers.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:49AM

mikee293
so can we go to Bright, throw some stuff on the ice at the opening of the 2nd period, and then have Harvard serve 2 mins in the box?

As mentioned in another thread it's been tried before in Bright. 2 years ago after a Moulson hat trick (those were the days) the Hahvahd fan threw a hat onto the ice to try and get a penalty. It was in a game stoppage a little bit after the hat trick. His scheme failed though and no penalty was assessed. So short answer is: you can try, but it won't happen.

Posted by: Liz '05 (132.236.144.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:50AM

No no, I ordered it for the pink can. Silly boys can't even recognize the best part about Tab... :-}

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:51AM

mikee293
Smart Harvard fans might do the same to us. WAIT!! Harvard fans don't travel and they're not even that smart as evidenced by one of my all-time favorite "gotcha" stunts:
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 11:52AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: mikee293 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:54AM

what's the story behind that? hahahaha

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:01PM

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:28AM

So this is my first Harvard game and I really want to bring a fish but I'm torn. How many other people do you think will have fish/be throwing them from section B? I'm towards the middle so I'm not as scared as if I were on the edge.

I've been trying to convince 2 friends sitting next to me to bring fish too, but they're girls and scared that they're gonna get kicked out & lose the ability to see a playoff game. (I'm about 75% convinced I'll be bringing fish, they're about 5%)

Also, someone posted that Schafer said it would be ok during a coach's meeting. That doesn't mean that the ushers won't care, does it?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 06:30AM

Liz '05
No no, I ordered it for the pink can. Silly boys can't even recognize the best part about Tab... :-}

Then you won't get your MDR of cyclamates today! ;-)

[www.bevnet.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 08:18AM

RazzBaronZ
So this is my first Harvard game and I really want to bring a fish but I'm torn. How many other people do you think will have fish/be throwing them from section B? I'm towards the middle so I'm not as scared as if I were on the edge.

I've been trying to convince 2 friends sitting next to me to bring fish too, but they're girls and scared that they're gonna get kicked out & lose the ability to see a playoff game. (I'm about 75% convinced I'll be bringing fish, they're about 5%)

Also, someone posted that Schafer said it would be ok during a coach's meeting. That doesn't mean that the ushers won't care, does it?

Does CSTV hire a local (student) spotter or gopher to help with games or is it lower-budget than that? He or she could put a thought in their minds: It's important that CSTV know the entire history of who fired the first shot and that was -- someone verify, please -- when David Elenbaas skated onto the ice circa 1972 at Harvard, he found a chicken tied to his cage. Chicken = aggie ... so fish must = Harvard, Cornell fans concluded, and remembered ever since.

Some part of your decision should be based how you and Cornell are perceived on this national stage that is CSTV (somewhat less national of a stage in Comcast areas, where they don't carry). Is this highjinks among the nation's elite colleges as students blow off steam ... or just a mean-spirited event that should have run its course long ago?

If only there were a photo we could offer to CSTV. Larry Baum '72 might recall.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:21AM

I'm debating whether to throw a fish from G or not. I'm sure I can get it over the net but I really don't want to be the only one doing it and then having 20 ushers beat me with their ego's. Anyone else in G going to throw a fish or should I just try and wait another year?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:47AM

Throw your fish! Just underhand it when an usher's not looking. And then deny it to all hell if you have to.

But no, don't throw it from G. You *can* get it over the night, but you may not.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:27PM

i think he has a point. If the fish doesn't make it, it lands on one of us other people in section G. If it makes it does it hit one of our guys. Otherwise i think trow away. Better yet throw something with tentacles, that way if it hits the net it might stick or at least fall slow enough for us to move.

I think underhand is the key though. I would at least try to get a few people next to you to toss some paper or something just enough motion to get the ushers looking at several people. I have to guess if they are unlikely to want to toss someone if they are not 99% sure. They may not even want to toss people but may feel they have to look like they tried but that is a different story.

-WillR

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:59PM

If you're in G, maybe head over to the bottom of E/F, and throw it over the glass there?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login