Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

?s from a first time Lynah visitor

Posted by mwade 
?s from a first time Lynah visitor
Posted by: mwade (---.gs.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:53AM

Despite shooting the Cornell at Harvard game earlier in the year, Saturday will be my first official Cornell home game and I'm looking for some tips:

1. Are the directions on the Athletics site from Route 13 obvious? I get lost easily so if there is a simpler way, let me know.

2. I have to pick up credentials at Bartels Hall - can't find a map of your facilities, how close is this to Lynah? Do I need to leave time to go to Bartels, get back in the car and drive to Lynah (heavy bag)?

3. Anyone ever notice photographer positions - penalty box, holes in glass, concourse, etc.?

4. Senior night festivities - what is planned? Before or after (or both) the game? Direction facing?

5. Anything else you think might help.

Thanks,
-Melissa

Re: ?s from a first time Lynah visitor
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:24AM

2. I have to pick up credentials at Bartels Hall - can't find a map of your facilities, how close is this to Lynah? Do I need to leave time to go to Bartels, get back in the car and drive to Lynah (heavy bag)?
First, a searchable map of the campus. Second, Bartels Hall is attached to Lynah Rink.

When you aren't shooting, cheer for the Big Red[/quote].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 11:26AM by ugarte.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:25AM

mwade

The rink is attached to Bartels.

3. Anyone ever notice photographer positions - penalty box, holes in glass, concourse, etc.?

No holes. Not many options. Shoot in the corner by the zamboni door and press box area. Other than that, have fun with the lights. Can't remember the last time they let photographers in the penalty box. It's been years to the best of my knowledge.

4. Senior night festivities - what is planned? Before or after (or both) the game? Direction facing?

After the game. Just a spotlight or two. Players will skate all the way around the rink, hang out at center ice with parents. It's really dark. Shoot ISO 1600 or higher and just do B&W.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:27AM

1. The directions are pretty good. I think the easiest place to get lost would be the merge of Green St. with State st.

2. Bartels (aka the fieldhouse) is attached to Lynah, no going outside necessary.

3. The west side of the rink has some photographer positions. There's a walking space there adjacent to the locker rooms. There's also the press box on the south side of the rink. Otherwise, you're stuck on the concourse wrapping around the upper part of the rink.

4. Senior night occurs after the game. Ideal position for a photographer I guess would be on the team benches, but the players skate all the way around the ice. In addition, they turn the main lights off so it's tough to get good photos.

Date: February 16, 2006 11:30AM

ugarte
When you aren't shooting, cheer for the Big Red.
Or better yet, don't. Nothing I hate more than unprofessional photographers. You're there to work, so work. I was especially impressed with the credential photographer in the north country last weekend wearing a jersey.

Before anyone says anything, when the assholes in athletics get off their high horse and out from under Laura Stange's shadow and actually give me credentials to shoot for CHN or USCHO (I won't hold my breath), I'll act professionally.

Date: February 16, 2006 11:45AM

Trust me - I don't cheer and I don't wear colors, besides BC isn't playing :-). Actually I did accidentally wear colors once - at the Denver Cup, I packed an orange top since that is normally a completely neutral color (mostly shoot HE). I completely forgot that it was a Princeton color.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:53AM

mwade
Despite shooting the Cornell at Harvard game earlier in the year, Saturday will be my first official Cornell home game and I'm looking for some tips:

1. Are the directions on the Athletics site from Route 13 obvious? I get lost easily so if there is a simpler way, let me know.

You're coming from Route 13 from the south?

I think you should change those directions though. After you start heading up the hill up State St, make a left at the light, Stewart Avenue. This is much more obvious than Mitchell St, since its a light.

Follow Stewart Ave over the bridge and then bear right up Campus Road (easier to know because of the bridge landmark). Continue going upwards, upwards, upwards on Campus Rd as you see the hill and the Cornell campus. This will be curvy as you head up the hill, but just keep going up.

Keep straight on Campus Rd, past the light, past 3 (?) stop signs... until you see Lynah on your left (near the football field, which is on your right).

And whatever you do, look over a map before you go, and bring a good one with you.

Date: February 16, 2006 11:54AM

Heh. I don't expect anyone to even counter-coordinate their wardrobe colors. But cheering and wearing school apparel certainly crosses the line. Wear any color you like (except crimson =] )

Date: February 16, 2006 11:57AM

Actually, aren't you coming from Syracuse? If so, take a left on 366 just after NYSEG on 13, and just take that til you end up on campus. Straight at the blinking light onto Hoy Road, right at the stop sign, rink will be on your left.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:07PM

I'm coming from NYC. The expedia directions put me on Route 13.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:09PM

mwade

Really? Are you sure it's not 17? One standard way from NYC is 17 west to Binghamton, then 81 north to Whitney point, and 79 West all the way to Ithaca.

Alternatively, you could take 80 West from NYC and connect up with 81 after bypassing Scranton.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 16, 2006 12:14PM

Then never mind what I said. But what jtw said is right.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:14PM

mwade
This is way out of your way. Do what JTW said: take 17 to 81N to 79W.

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:17PM

Ditto. The 87N-17W-81N-79W route is far more sensible, and it's what I'll be doing tomorrow (yay!!)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 12:21PM

krose
mwade
I should follow this up with: be careful with some of the podunk towns along 79 like Whitehall. Drive only a little over the speed limit, because the cops will seem to climb out of your trunk if you do 50 in the 30 zones.

FWIW, 13 is no different in this regard.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: February 16, 2006 12:23PM

krose
I should follow this up with: be careful with some of the podunk towns along 79 like Whitehall. Drive only a little over the speed limit, because the cops will seem to climb out of your trunk if you do 50 in the 30 zones.

Where's "Whitehall"?

Richford is where the most persistent speedtrap is, or at least was, in the 50/55mph zones on 79W - but yes, when the limit varies to 35 or 45, obey the limit. You'll still get there in reasonable time and without paying $85 for the privilege.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 12:26PM

Beeeej
Where's "Whitehall"?
Sorry, I am confusing podunk towns. Whitehall, NY is near Lake George. I was thinking of Whitney Point.

But yeah, the drops in speed are pretty much in Richford, Lisle, and Whitney Point. Be careful near those, and pass where it's legal if you end up behind someone really slow.

Kyle

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:29PM

on the other hand, the only brush with a cop I've had on 17 was when I was going about 15 over the speed limit, and the cop brushed by me, going at least 90.

::knock on wood::

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:31PM

so in the meantime, you'll continue to act...how?

As a part time sportswriter covering HS games, I know all about acting professionally. Sometimes it's not easy especially when you have a rooting interest.

But it's part of the job you're being paid to do.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:31PM

Yeah, 17 has become a much briefer and more pleasant drive since it became "Future I-86." Most of it is now 65mph instead of 55, and as you say, the cops blow past the vast majority of drivers, who are already doing 75.

But again, don't go too far over the limit in or near Hancock, or in any of the few 55mph zones.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:34PM

Rich S
I think what he means is, in the meantime he'll go to games as a fan and act as such, as opposed to going to games as a journalist and acting professionally and unbiasedly (is that a word?).

Date: February 16, 2006 12:36PM

jtwcornell91
mwade

Really? Are you sure it's not 17? One standard way from NYC is 17 west to Binghamton, then 81 north to Whitney point, and 79 West all the way to Ithaca.

Alternatively, you could take 80 West from NYC and connect up with 81 after bypassing Scranton.
Where, specifically, within the NYC area are you coming from? Depending on your departure point, 17 is or is not the best route to take.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:36PM

I'll continue to act as a fan, wear my jerseys, and cheer. As the administration has decided that I would be incapable of being professional and not even offering me the opportunity (and despite photojournalism being my other job), there's no reason to do otherwise. Am I supposed to get a season ticket, show up in a suit and tie and stand in the corner silently for a year before being given the "privilege" of getting Cornell free publicity? I think not.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:37PM

You're probably right. I'm just chuckling at the potentially wide gulf between acting like a fan, especially at your home rink, and being a professional. :-D

Date: February 16, 2006 12:39PM

Harlem.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:44PM

CowbellGuy
I'll continue to act as a fan, wear my jerseys, and cheer. As the administration has decided that I would be incapable of being professional and not even offering me the opportunity (and despite photojournalism being my other job), there's no reason to do otherwise. Am I supposed to get a season ticket, show up in a suit and tie and stand in the corner silently for a year before being given the "privilege" of getting Cornell free publicity? I think not.

How did they respond to your request? I'd think they'd welcome your contribution to the coverage, unless they value you as a fan even more!

Date: February 16, 2006 12:46PM

mwade
Harlem.
Hmm. I personally would say you're better off with 80 -> 380 -> 81 -> 79, but that's my Jersey-ness talking. Whether you go that way or 80 -> 287 -> 17 -> 81 -> 79 or some other way of getting to 17, the way you want go to at the end is 81 -> 79, not 17 -> 13.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:50PM

krose
mwade

Kyle

Yeah, 13 from NYC doesn't make any sense. Get to Binghamton (either on 17 on 84 W --> 81N), go North on 81 to Route 79 West into Ithaca.

From there, this is what I would recommend. It may not be the most direct, but its the least confusing, and its not more than a minute or two longer than anything else. On 79, a while after you start to descend into the valley that is Ithaca, you'll hit a stop sign (ignore the signs to Cornell before this). Take a right at the stop sign (a ~130 degree right) onto Mitchell Ave. Can't miss it, its the only stop sign on 79 anywhere near Ithaca and its a unique strong right turn.

Then take your second quick left onto College Ave. Continue straight at the traffic light. Head over the bridge/gorge and welcome to the Cornell campus.

Turn right at the next light which is at a 3 way intersection. Go right, past 3 stop signs, and Lynah/Bartels will be on your left (past the football field which is on your right).

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:52PM

If coming from Syracuse, the fastest way to Ithaca is generally 81, get off at Exit 12 (Homer) take a left on 266, 266 turns into Rte. 13 in Cortland, stay on that all the way to Ithaca (13 takes a right in Dryden). This does involve paying attention to road signs and things of that sort, but it's pretty quick and cuts off getting all the way to Whitney Point to get on Rte. 79, effectively cutting off 10-15 miles at least.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:53PM

They've turned down requests from USCHO and CHN simply because it's me. Anyone else could get credentials (and based on what I've seen in the rink, they're not picky).

Date: February 16, 2006 12:55PM

Rich S
CowbellGuy

How did they respond to your request? I'd think they'd welcome your contribution to the coverage, unless they value you as a fan even more!

I'll save Age the trouble and I don't want this to turn into a bitch fest. Suffice it to say that Age and the athletics department have had quite a few episodes of banging heads in the last several years and are on poor terms (and to appease Age, he's right, and they're a bunch of douchbags ;) ).

So asking them to allow Age to get a press pass, would be like asking you to give Beeeej one... although frankly, I think you're more likely to be professional about it and put past conflicts behind you, than the asshats in the Cornell Athletic Department are.

Date: February 16, 2006 12:56PM

daredevilcu
If coming from Syracuse, the fastest way to Ithaca is generally 81, get off at Exit 12 (Homer) take a left on 266, 266 turns into Rte. 13 in Cortland, stay on that all the way to Ithaca (13 takes a right in Dryden). This does involve paying attention to road signs and things of that sort, but it's pretty quick and cuts off getting all the way to Whitney Point to get on Rte. 79, effectively cutting off 10-15 miles at least.

Except they're coming from NYC, not Syracuse :)

Date: February 16, 2006 12:57PM

daredevilcu
Certainly 13 is the best way to go from the northeast, but coming from NYC? I'd love to know how Expedia came up with that route... :P

Kyle

Date: February 16, 2006 12:58PM

I saw the string of numbers, and tossed that suggestion down. I accidentally missed where they were coming from. Oh well, now those directions are there for anyone else who is coming the other way and might want them.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:59PM

jmh30
mwade
Harlem.
Hmm. I personally would say you're better off with 80 -> 380 -> 81 -> 79, but that's my Jersey-ness talking. Whether you go that way or 80 -> 287 -> 17 -> 81 -> 79 or some other way of getting to 17, the way you want go to at the end is 81 -> 79, not 17 -> 13.

I would echo this. If it were me, I'd take the West Side highway or Harlem River Drive up to the GW, and hope on 80 to 380 to 81. Of course, that could be my GWB-Across-The-Street-From-Me-ness talking.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:01PM

I would still drive up the Henry Hudson to the Saw Mill to 87N, then 17W/81N/79W. Obviously the GWB is convenient to Harlem, but the 80/380/81 drive through NJ and Pennsylvania is stultifyingly boring and presents very few decent food options, IME and IMHO.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 01:07PM

I would still drive up the Henry Hudson to the Saw Mill to 87N, then 17W/81N/79W. Obviously the GWB is convenient to Harlem, but the 80/380/81 drive through NJ and Pennsylvania is stultifyingly boring and presents very few decent food options, IME and IMHO.

I haven't done Route 17 in a while, but isn't the speed limit in many stretches 55? I always figured that besides being a little more convenient from Upper Manhattan, the advantage of all interstates was having at least 65 limit the entire trip. And IME fewer speed traps/troopers than 17.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:10PM

See above post; the gist is that almost all of 17 is now 65, and other than around Hancock and the few 55mph stretches, the troopers ignore 75-80mph drivers.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 01:15PM

There was quite a bit of construction on 81N the last time I came up, but that was December. It didn't affect traffic speed too badly, but there was a lot of that weaving to follow the orange traffic cones and screw the lane markers that can be unnerving, especially in rain or snow.

Once you hit 79, speed traps abound. Also, the cops *love* to sit on the median just down the hill from the 81N exit ramp into Whitney Point, and will nail you for a rolling stop, despite the fact that the exiting semi behind you may not be in the mood to come to a full stop.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 01:23PM

Beeeej

I have similar reasons for chosing 80, actually, since I hate 17 with the fire of a thousand suns. In part because of the stretch with no fast food for about 100 miles. (Coming from the Hudson Valley I-80 is not an option, but I have a good route through the Catskills to Oneonta as long as road conditions permit.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 01:37PM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej

I have similar reasons for chosing 80, actually, since I hate 17 with the fire of a thousand suns. In part because of the stretch with no fast food for about 100 miles. (Coming from the Hudson Valley I-80 is not an option, but I have a good route through the Catskills to Oneonta as long as road conditions permit.)

Which strecth of route 17? At one point I pretty much knew where all the "easy on/off" McDonalds (my fast food of choice when driving) were between Binghamton and Middletown (where I picked up I-84 to CT). There were quite a few and at most you went about 20 miles until the next exit with options. The area before and after Deposit NY was a bit of a drag. However, I used to enjoy the Route 17 trip even \ when the speed limit was 55 even though it was the "future I-86". I'm glad to say my thesis defense happend before I-86 (though at times I did wonder ;-) ). Others from the Nutmeg state swore by the I-88-> I-90 -> I-91 route.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 01:46PM

I find 80-380-81 option preferable because it breaks down the drive, and you have the plethora of eating options at Clarks Summit. Combining that with the ease of leaving Manhattan via the GWB makes me choose that every time now, and that's after having sworn by 17 for years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 01:47PM by LowellFrank.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 01:46PM

Our preferred route coming from NYC-ish area (we live about an hour north of the city) is to take 17 to Owego (the second Owego exit, there's actually a supplemental sign telling you it is for Ithaca), then follow 96/96B into Ithaca. If you're comfortable using passing zones to get around cars on small roads, this is an attractive option in my opinion.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 01:47PM by JasonN95.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:48PM

jtwcornell91
I have similar reasons for chosing 80, actually, since I hate 17 with the fire of a thousand suns. In part because of the stretch with no fast food for about 100 miles.

When's the last time you drove 17W from Harriman to Binghamton, 1972?

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 01:49PM

LowellFrank
I find 80-380-81 option preferable because it breaks down the drive, and you have the plethora of eating options at Clarks Summit.

Yeah, but that's about it. If you're going to eat on the way and not wait until Chenango Forks 5/6 of the way through the drive, Clarks Summit is just about your only option.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 01:55PM

The Owego (that's Owego, not Oswego) exits are number 65 and 64, for you number-oriented people.

Date: February 16, 2006 01:56PM

What's the matter with you people?! KRISPY-KREME FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:04PM

CowbellGuy
You mean in Clark's Summit? (Which also features a Waffle House now by the way. :-D )

There are also places to stop and eat just about every exit in NJ, there's a travel plaza in Bartonsville, PA (a bit west of Stroudsburg), and at least a few places between Scranton and Binghamton.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:05PM

JasonN95
Our preferred route coming from NYC-ish area (we live about an hour north of the city) is to take 17 to Owego (the second Owego exit, there's actually a supplemental sign telling you it is for Ithaca), then follow 96/96B into Ithaca. If you're comfortable using passing zones to get around cars on small roads, this is an attractive option in my opinion.
I find it is much easier to pass people on 79 than on 96/96B, mainly due to the lower traffic volume and much less frequent low-speed zones. But, as with many things related to driving, YMMV. :)

Kyle

Date: February 16, 2006 02:07PM

CowbellGuy

As it happens, Krispy-Kreme is a fairly significant part of exactly what's the matter with me. :-D

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:18PM

I can vouch for Age on what he says. Although I do understand the athletic department's position, I hope to one day successfully put in another request for Age. I have been willing to vouch for him, but still to no avail. Again, I understand their position, but I do have confidence that he would handle himself professionally going forward, and hope athletics changes its mind when the issue is revisited again.

Date: February 16, 2006 02:42PM

True, I'd be inclined to do exactly that once I'm aware of his credentials as a journalist or photo-journalist.

Without knowing the details of their history, it sounds like the Ath Dep't is being a mite too protective of their turf.

Given that they allow a lot of poor behavior by fans to go on there, why are they so uptight about one journalist's past in his very different role as a fan?

Posted by: apu-nahasapeemapetilon (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:52PM

Rich S
Given that they allow a lot of poor behavior by fans to go on there,

I can't believe you don't shut up.

Date: February 16, 2006 02:58PM

I guess I also don't quite understand this unyielding need to have a plethora of satisfactory dining options on a 3 1/2 hour drive.

Date: February 16, 2006 03:01PM

You just never know when you're going to be jonesing for a cheap, mediocre semi-meal, that's all. If you suddenly get a hankering, you don't want to find out you're still another hour's drive from the next way station on the grease train.

Or something like that.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 03:03PM

panic OH GOD! I'M AN HOUR AWAY FROM FOOD! THANK GOODNESS I HAVE TWO ARMS! *gnaw* panic

(ok, I was just looking for an excuse to use the new smiley)

Date: February 16, 2006 03:18PM

CowbellGuy
panic OH GOD! I'M AN HOUR AWAY FROM FOOD! THANK GOODNESS I HAVE TWO ARMS! *gnaw* panic

Ha!! See, now you're going to get me in trouble by making me laugh out loud.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2006 03:42PM

You disagree with my statement?

Date: February 16, 2006 03:50PM

Rich S
You disagree with my statement?
I'll take a crack at this.

I see it purely as sour grapes: you wish Clarkson had a fan base as dedicated (oh, sorry: as poorly behaved) as ours.

Sorry Rich, but the right answer to Clarkson's inferior fan support is not to bring Cornell down to its level.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 03:50PM

exactly what 'poor behavior' goes on at lynah that doesn't go on at other college rinks? And if your going to bring up the newspapers then I'd like to point out, as have many before me, that it happens once before the puck is dropped and in no way affects the game.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 04:16PM

Can we please stop jumping on every little perceived slight in Rich's posts? Yes, he sometimes writes inflammatory things. The post you're criticizing was not.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 04:21PM

KeithK
Can we please stop jumping on every little perceived slight in Rich's posts? Yes, he sometimes writes inflammatory things. The post you're criticizing was not.
I want you to know your remarks really offended me, Keith. B-]

Date: February 16, 2006 04:29PM

KeithK

Well, it mighta been. But I think it coulda been taken as is and moved on. There really no reason to make a fight out of something like that.

So, moving on... it was a decent point by Rich, they're pretty lose on the rules - whether you call that poor or enthusiastic behavior is besides the point - on things like throwing newspapers, 'intimidating' opponents, etc.

Of course, that seems to be their M.O. - find one thing to stick in their craw even though other similar behavior isn't an issue - i.e. no complaints about newspaper throwing, but fish will get us a 5 minute major for delay of game!

That said, just so Rich is aware, Age has had some more personal interaction with the athletics staff than your typical fan - as in the eLynah webcam for a while. Which I have created tensions. I think one example is enough without rehashing all the stories.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:15PM

mwade
Trust me - I don't cheer and I don't wear colors, besides BC isn't playing :-). Actually I did accidentally wear colors once - at the Denver Cup, I packed an orange top since that is normally a completely neutral color (mostly shoot HE). I completely forgot that it was a Princeton color.
The orange vest Harry Whittington wore was apparently too neutral. He looked just like a covey of quail.

Date: February 16, 2006 05:32PM

Rich S

As a part time sportswriter covering HS games, I know all about acting professionally. Sometimes it's not easy especially when you have a rooting interest.

But it's part of the job you're being paid to do.
The Aussies would love your phrasing.

Posted by: DL (---.dcna.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:50PM

KeithK

Actually, I rather find these volleys quite amusing, now that no one seems to be willing to take Facetimer's occasional baiting.

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:55PM

Darren Leung
Actually, I rather find these volleys quite amusing, now that no one seems to be willing to take Facetimer's occasional baiting.

Facetimer doesn't bother me at all anymore. If Age put up another "which eLf'er would you most like to have banned," I'd imagine RichS would gather a lot more votes than Facetimer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 01:14AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:48AM

mwade

Thanks,
-Melissa

just to recap...
if you are coming from NYC then the best way to go really depends on from which part you are leaving.
mapquest would likely give you the best idea for the overall route.
either of these would work...
17 west to 81 north to 79 west into town
OR
if you are more south... 80 west to 380 north to 81 north to 79 west
mapquest link for NY, NY to ithaca, NY - pay attention to the big roads without exact addresses of course :)
[www.mapquest.com]

not to confuse things but...I still believe that from binghamton 17 west to 96/96b north is faster or even a more complicated route i used to take when I lived in vestal but for simplicity use the above directions.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 01:14AM

How many Cornell students/alumni does it take to give directions? nut

Ah Hancock!
Posted by: nyiballs (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:01AM

Beeeej
But again, don't go too far over the limit in or near Hancock, or in any of the few 55mph zones.

Beeeej

I paid $130 for the priveledge of going through Hancock. I may also add that I paid $90 for the priveledge of stopping at a stop sign in Waterloo.

This is why I would take the 80>380>81>79 Route... Interstates = Fewer Cops looking to screw you over.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 09:28AM

RatushnyFan
How many Cornell students/alumni does it take to give directions? nut

i don't know, but i'm sure cracking under the pressure help

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:05AM

since the story is being revisited. I just want to say that I stand with Age. Additionally, what Cornell Athletics has done with their audio visual services as well as their website has been pathetic.

Date: February 17, 2006 02:41PM

Kyle,

You missed by a mile, not by a crack. It's by no means sour grapes. I have never been envious of boorish behavior anywhere.

It also has nothing to do with bringing the fan support at Lynah to anyone else's level. My comment was simply that there is a lot of unsportsmanlike or distasteful behavior at Lynah which, by the way, was acknowledged elsewhere in this thread. At the same time, I have never underestimated the impact of the positive fan support of Lynah fans.

Having been a Clarkson fan for many years, I am well aware that the enthusiastic and rabid fan support that was historically present there has waned in recent years and am aware of the effect its loss can have. I had the good fortune to have been a part of an era (early 70s) when the crowd support was unparalleled in the East and helped to make Clarkson Arena an intimidating place to play for visitors.

Any old timer can tell you about the dreaded "North Country" trip.

Hopefully, as Clarkson's performance improve in the next few years, much of that fan support will return.

Date: February 17, 2006 02:50PM

Rich, I can't dispute what you claim re: your feelings towards the Lynah fanbase, except by noting that you do come off as bitter much of the time. But there may be some other reason for that.

More interesting to me is a question I've been meaning to ask the slightly-older Faithful for years, but didn't because I feel if people wanted to talk about it, they would have already. Well, here goes: how was Lynah, really, during the dark years, i.e., the early-to-mid 90's, right before I arrived on campus? I've never really had a good feel for how attendance, fan participation, volume, etc. were back when Cornell was struggling through the latter part of the M era (though I know enough not to write his name out in full).

I know a lot of folks who got into Cornell hockey during that era, so there must have been something to the Lynah experience even then.

My hope is that the raucous Lynah crowd could experience just about any kind of shock, but you'd figure a school like Clarkson in an area with basically nothing do to but drink and go to hockey games wouldn't want to lose 50% of their social life. (I say this with the full support of several friends who attended Clarkson, which is part of the reason why I have fond memories of the Cornell/Clarkson games I witnessed as an undergrad. It's also a statement that is less true, but still somewhat true, of Cornell.) I suspect the move to Cheel was a large part of this, because Clarkson was plenty competitive in the mid-to-late 90's vs. Cornell, yet the fan support had already dropped considerably from the Walker days, again a second-hand report.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 03:28PM

krose
I know a lot of folks who got into Cornell hockey during that era, so there must have been something to the Lynah experience even then.
It was very strong for the initial post-Nieuwendyk era from '88-'92. Always a full, raucous rink. But we were still pretty good then so someone who experienced the '93-'95 debacle is probably who you're looking for. And let me point out that Parris Duffus was an incredible collegiate goaltender so if he had stayed another two years things might have been different.

Eric
'92

Date: February 17, 2006 03:31PM

Rich S

Picking on someone else's grammar or spelling is a double-edged sword because you have to be careful your own is near-flawless for the next couple weeks.

But Jesus H, Rich S: What's with the quotes around North Country? Is "North Country" different from the North Country up around the St. Lawrence River and stretching east through the Adirondacks to Plattsburgh?

Newspapers tend to put words in quotes because they think their readers are idiots. Such as, Cops Bust Trio for Selling 'Pot' at 'Gas' Station. As if without the quotes someone might think it was FarberWare and a natural gas pumping facility. Why not put quotes around "old timer" or "dreaded," too?

Strunk & White (okay, we're biased in their favor) and the AP Stylebook are short so people might read them.

This is an amazing thread. Guy asks the best way to drive into Ithaca and it generates nearly 100 posts and more than 1,000 reads. We ought to put a link in Wikipedia under Thread Drift.

As Belushi said after slamming the guitar against the staircase wall in Animal House, "Sorry." I guess we're all just getting anxious to light up CSTV's Webcast or trek over to Lynah.

We need to save some hostility for CSTV's likely screwed-up webcast.

Date: February 17, 2006 03:35PM

Strunk, White, and Elements of Style can shove it.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 03:48PM

Class of ’95 here, so my time perfectly coincides with the Modern Day Nadir of Cornell Hockey (I’ve used that phrasing a few times on this board, I figure if I keep it up, it’ll eventually stick :-)). My freshman year was the last season of the unregulated student line for tickets --the fiasco that year prompted all of the various schemes by the Athletics Dept to apply some control over the lineup process. That year I was literally the last student to get season tickets, despite there still being a handful of freshman line numbers left behind me. The ticket office had to scrape together two tickets; they were not together (but in the same row at least) and located on the townie side. (I’ve wondered what my fanaticism for the team would be like today if I hadn’t landed those tickets.) By my senior year (94-95, Coach McC’s last season), student tickets were not selling out. Holes in the student sections were clearly visible. In fact, the townies were much more resilient during that time; I don’t know numbers, but from what I observed the townies stuck with the team much better than the students –they may have saved the Lynah atmosphere by keeping it on life support until Schafer arrived. That said, the students were still numerous and the ones there were pretty vocal (no facetimer deadweight). When the 94-95 season concluded, I had pretty much resigned myself to the belief that Cornell would never get anywhere near its former glory; how sweet it is to have been wrong.

As for the Lord Voldemort treatment of Coach McC’s name (which I’ve been guilty of), given that he has apparently remained Faithful(tm) after being dismissed as the coach (you have to assume that his son never would have come here if dad had harbored ill will), I’m inclined to bury the hatchet and use his full name. Coach McCutcheon: there, I wrote it. (Future uses of “McC” by me will be purely out of laziness and not due to any lingering hard feelings.)

(I know I've told the story about getting last student tickets for the 91-92 season on this forum before, so I apologize for those of you who have had to read it multiple times.)

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:15PM

RatushnyFan
krose
It was very strong for the initial post-Nieuwendyk era from '88-'92. Always a full, raucous rink. But we were still pretty good then so someone who experienced the '93-'95 debacle is probably who you're looking for. And let me point out that Parris Duffus was an incredible collegiate goaltender so if he had stayed another two years things might have been different.

Eric
'92

My first year of Cornell Hockey was '86-'87 which I believe was the first year that section C was used for boosters instead of students. While I thought the crowd was loud and rabid in their support there seemed to be a general concensus among the upper classmen that it wasn't nearly what it was before section C was taken away.

Posted by: Liz '05 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 05:14PM

billhoward
Rich S

Picking on someone else's grammar or spelling is a double-edged sword because you have to be careful your own is near-flawless for the next couple weeks.

But Jesus H, Rich S: What's with the quotes around North Country? Is "North Country" different from the North Country up around the St. Lawrence River and stretching east through the Adirondacks to Plattsburgh?

Newspapers tend to put words in quotes because they think their readers are idiots. Such as, Cops Bust Trio for Selling 'Pot' at 'Gas' Station. As if without the quotes someone might think it was FarberWare and a natural gas pumping facility. Why not put quotes around "old timer" or "dreaded," too?

Strunk & White (okay, we're biased in their favor) and the AP Stylebook are short so people might read them.

This is an amazing thread. Guy asks the best way to drive into Ithaca and it generates nearly 100 posts and more than 1,000 reads. We ought to put a link in Wikipedia under Thread Drift.

As Belushi said after slamming the guitar against the staircase wall in Animal House, "Sorry." I guess we're all just getting anxious to light up CSTV's Webcast or trek over to Lynah.

We need to save some hostility for CSTV's likely screwed-up webcast.

Anyone else thinking "post drift"?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:00PM

McCutcheon. No problems with writing it. He is a loyal Cornellian and someone who had some good years as the head coach in Lynah. While I was as happy to see him go as anyone ten years ago, that was ten years ago.

As for attendance, I have some numbers handy for some of the games in the 1994-95 season:
Nov 11  3301  Dartmouth
Nov 12  3194  Vermont
Jan 27  3220  SLU
Jan 28  3782  Clarkson
Feb 10  3824  Harvard  (sellout)
Feb 11  3509  Brown
Mar 03  3484  RPI
Mar 04  3708  Union
I'm missing four other home games: Yale, Princeton, Army and Colgate.

Average attendance (tickets sold) was 3503, or 91.6% of capacity. Lowest attendance out of these dates was 83.6%. The Army game on jan 15 was most likely lower still. Even a 9th place team sold out the Harvard game and came close for a game against RS champ Clarkson. The Union game was the last of the season and had playoff implications.

Yes, the 3824 figure was a sellout. I'm not sure where they found the extra 12 seats to make it 3836. Maybe the number changed when the press-box was remodeled.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 09:39PM

billhoward
Rich S

Who's picking? Not me.

Bill, switch to decaf, eh? lol.

Ok, sorry, I actually meant to type "North Country Trip." Better now? :-}

Posted by: mrs63 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:48PM

Coming from the Poughkeepsie area, when I go home I'm always split over 84-17-81-79 OR 84-81-79. I take this trip on average twice a month (oftentimes in extremely snowy conditions). Time-wise they're nearly identical. My experience has been that 17 is loaded with cops in Monticello, Liberty, Roscoe, Hancock, and Deposit while 84-81 is smooth sailing. All the aforementioned towns have state police barracks except Hancock which has an aggressive local force.

And while I don't have the experience from 10 years ago I can say that there's probably 30+ miles of 55mph on 17 between Binghamton and Middletown. Areas that come to mind are the 10 miles of "intersections" between Binghamton and Deposit, much of Delaware County, Exit 98 (Cooley, aka stoplight exit), the Wurtsboro Hill, and Monticello. The 84/81 route has literally ZERO enforcement and my timings on this route are within 1-2 minutes of 17.

On 79, I haven't seen Caroline or Slaterville Springs mentioned as speed trap areas. The limit here dips to 45 or 35, so watch out as I've seen aggressive patrols, especially at night.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.rsip.orl.wayport.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:38AM

Well, since this thread is drifting all over the place anyway...

With respect to the Waffle House in Clarks Summit...I was really surprised to find that chain as far north as Clarks Summit. Can anyone confirm that the Clarks Summit location is, in fact, the northernmost Waffle House? (I actually asked one of the people working there the one time I ate there, and was told it was, but I don't put a lot of stock in that.)

And, on another drifting note...

Mapquest can be really, REALLY screwy. I live a few miles east of the city of Ithaca. For years, if I asked Mapquest for the most direct route to Rochester (or Buffalo), it would suggest going through Syracuse, instead of simply going up the West Side of Cayuga Lake. I finally figured out that for some destinations, Mapquest was treating the entire Finger Lakes region as if it were one very large body of water, that had to be driven around. I now take anything Mapquest spits out at me with a grain of salt.
Andy W,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login