Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Emily Hughes

Posted by Brian 
Emily Hughes
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:56PM

So now that she's in, does anybody remember when she skated in between periods a few years ago? I believe the lynah faithful gave her a standing O.

Re: Emily Hughes
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:03PM

Brian
So now that she's in, does anybody remember when she skated in between periods a few years ago? I believe the lynah faithful gave her a standing O.

Yep. And IIRC, I think in the early '90s, Sarah Hughes skated at Lynah also. One of them had a Charlie Chaplin themed routine...probably Emily, since I remember that more clearly.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:29PM

Any chance of perhaps starting that up again?

Posted by: dbilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:20AM

Back in the 70s, we used to regularly have figure skating performances between periods, although we didn't get to see any future Olympians!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:10AM

In the 80's, Lynah often had local middle school and elementary school girls do figure between periods; I think several of them were sister pairs. They were adorable.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:51AM

RichH
Brian

Yep. And IIRC, I think in the early '90s, Sarah Hughes skated at Lynah also. One of them had a Charlie Chaplin themed routine...probably Emily, since I remember that more clearly.
That was definitely Emily.

Posted by: secH (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:26PM

We enjoyed all the skaters--bring them back. What ever happened to the Big Red BEARS between periods ?

Posted by: littleredfan (170.148.92.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:34PM

Fairly sure it was the 00-01 season. I think she skated in lieu of the ill fated subway challenge that night

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:57PM

subway owns clarkson

Posted by: JordanCS (---.bunt.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:29PM

I very clearly remember the Emily's Chaplain routine. I will definitely be rooting her on in the Olympics. She was very good, even then.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:37PM

JordanCS
I very clearly remember the Emily's Chaplain routine. I will definitely be rooting her on in the Olympics. She was very good, even then.

What'd she do, skate the sign of the cross?

Matt

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:49PM

Lots of blather all day on the sports radio circuit about the supposed grand gesture of Kwan stepping aside. I thought the whole operetta across as a cynical effort to pump up NBC's ratings and that quitting rather than embarrass yourself is hardly worthy of the accolades of sportsmanship (it would have been truly sporting to just accept that you weren't going in the first place rather than accept a manufactured dispensation), but I've never cared for Kwan anyway.

I'm glad to have a sort-of-Cornell rooting angle, now. I guess Emily is a real long shot to medal, but her sister picked the same stage to skate the best of her life. The family may just perform well under pressure. ;-)

Re: Emily Hughes (politest put-down yet)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:54PM

Beeeej
JordanCS
What'd she do, skate the sign of the cross?
Matt
Unlike the nearby assaults on Ari (Union Player Suspended thread), this was the funniest and most gentle, er, correction in a long time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 03:56PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:59PM

Trotsky
I'm glad to have a sort-of-Cornell rooting angle, now. I guess Emily is a real long shot to medal, but her sister picked the same stage to skate the best of her life. The family may just perform well under pressure. ;-)
Maybe Schafer should've had David stick around after all. twitch

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 04:14PM

dbilmes
Back in the 70s, we used to regularly have figure skating performances between periods, although we didn't get to see any future Olympians!

No, but back then didn't we have a woman who finished something like 5th in the World Championships one year? I seem to recall her doing a routine that was pretty impressive for those days.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:07AM

Trotsky
Lots of blather all day on the sports radio circuit about the supposed grand gesture of Kwan stepping aside. I thought the whole operetta across as a cynical effort to pump up NBC's ratings and that quitting rather than embarrass yourself is hardly worthy of the accolades of sportsmanship (it would have been truly sporting to just accept that you weren't going in the first place rather than accept a manufactured dispensation), but I've never cared for Kwan anyway.

An interesting angle to all this is that the injury had to be diagnosed as a new one, not just a flare-up of the previous one. Otherwise, the U.S. would not have been allowed substitute Emily Hughes, because Kwan would have been ineligible. Who knows what was really going on, but sounds like the USOC was on a thin edge right from the start of the Kwan appeal. Personally, I think Hughes was screwed, but it's worked out for her in the end, and she's shown terrific poise and tact in dealing with the still sordid politics of her sport.

Posted by: Erica (69.251.178.---)
Date: February 14, 2006 09:29PM

She fell on a triple flip in practice and [re] injured her groin. Either way, Emily should be preparing herself as an alternate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login