Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Stampede Result Switched to Tie

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Stampede Result Switched to Tie
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 01:39AM

From USCHO.com:
[Q]The NCAA Ice Hockey Committee has ruled that the Maverick Stampede semifinal game between Colgate and Nebraska-Omaha on Oct. 11 is officially a tie and that only the statistics for the first 65 minutes of play will count.[/Q]
Full article at: [uscho.com]

Well, Colgate and the ECAC can use all the help they can get, but I'm not exactly sure on the ethics of this way. I guess either solution was bad though - equal of two evils? rolleyes.

-Fred

Re: Stampede Result Switched to Tie
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 07:48AM

Oh, fer cryin' out loud! Informed fans have spent five years (along with the help of current ECAC Hockey Czar S.Hagwell) trying to educate our peers on this issue, which the NCAA rules are clear on, and all of a sudden the rules committee decides to throw the rules (and the precedent set by the 1998 Ice Breaker Cup) out the window? rolleyes

For those who weren't on the scene the last time this happens, here's the relevant HOCKEY-L post:

[lists.maine.edu]

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: October 25, 2002 08:12AM

And more importantly, the eLynah FAQ: ;-)

[www.hockey.cornell.edu]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 08:58AM

JTW wrote:
[Q]Oh, fer cryin' out loud![/Q]

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. The article didn't even make it sound like they chastized the Stampede for doing it. I suppose either result isn't entirely fair in a way, and that we should be relieved bc it indirectly helps us (but only a miniscule amount), but one things I'd really like to see is some attempt to prevent it from happening again. Either a small fine, or the threat of a moderate fine next time around. Something to get across the point that this is ridiculous.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 09:25AM

Well, for what it's worth, I think in the end they chose the right course of action. At the very least, it must have been a nightmare for anything like collegehockeystats.com. I engineered CHDB to allow for variable length periods, as well as full overtimes and 5 min overtimes, but not all in the same game. What happened over there would have been impossible without a major rewrite. Of course it does not excuse the fact that they screwed up in the first place.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 01:06PM

I'm grown cynical since Florida. Screw principle, it helps us. yark

Posted by: jason (---)
Date: October 25, 2002 02:32PM

Very interesting. This got me thinking. My recollection was that Cornell had been through a similar episode at the Syracuse Invitational some years back (yes, I attended not one, but two Syr Inv tourneys --what a depressing event) because I recalled explaining (erroneously) to some one why they had used a 5 min 1st OT before going to 20 min OT periods. Turns out it was a 1996 game against Providence (which I remember was highlighted by the Prov goalie throwing up in his crease during one of the OT periods --he stayed in and completed the game), which I confirmed with the help of Keith Kannenberg's site. Here's the link to the boxscore at Keith's site:
[www.hockey.cornell.edu]
Keith has the game listed as a win for Cornell. Does anyone know how this game was officially recorded? (Keith's site has Cornell's 96-97 record as 21-9-5 --treating the Prov game as a W.)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: October 26, 2002 11:57AM

I'm pretty sure the SIT game vs Providence counted as a win. At any rate, I know the Ohio State-BC game from the 1998 Ice Breaker, which was a similar situation, was NOT recorded as a tie, which is the precedent the NCAA just contradicted.

Posted by: Shorts (---)
Date: October 27, 2002 04:53PM

Another question:
The article at USCHO mentions that
[Q]"All records for the 20-minute overtime period have been eliminated."[/Q]
What would happen if, during the long overtime period, a player received a game-disqualification penalty such that he was suspended for additional games (as described in Rule 4, section 5b)? Would the suspension be erased? Or would it be re-recorded as penalty that occurred after the completion of the game?

-Shorts

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: October 30, 2002 12:26AM

John, et al ...

Prompted by John's sleuthing into hockey-L, I actually spoke to Steve Hagwell today about this, as well as a couple others with knowledge of how the decision came to be.

Their response is actually a valid one.

The rule changed slightly between 1998 and now. Last year, the rule was added that allows for 5-minute OT followed by a shootout in the case of ties during in-season tournaments or consolation games of postseason tournaments (Section 54-b).

In the past, the rulebook only allowed for 20-minute OTs to decide advancement in in-season tournaments.

Thus, in 1998, there was no provision for a 5-minute OT of any sort. Now, there is. So, in essence, the committee is saying, since you played 5 minutes first ... we are considering rule 54-b to have been used, and ignoring the rest of the contest.

Agree or not, at least it was a conscious, and reasoned choice.

Adam W.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login