Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1 Clarkson 3

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell 0 Clarkson 3 (3rd period)
Posted by: Avash (---.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:53PM

Meanwhile, St. Lawrence takes a 3-2 lead over Colgate...

Posted by: Per Djoos (---.156.153.62.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:54PM

Q is at Dartmouth

Hahvahd is playing Princeton

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:54PM

I hear tubas

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:55PM

Will the crease ever stop haunting me??? help

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:55PM

Chris 02
Cornell puts the puck in the Clarkson net, but the goal is waved off due to man in the crease.

And as we all know, you're only allowed to be in the crease ahead of the puck if you play for BU in the Beanpot.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:56PM

I coulda sworn... but...

Princeton tied with Harvard at 3-3.

Far be it from me to impugn Gametracker...

Date: February 10, 2006 08:56PM

Cornell Power Play... marshall for interfence

lets go red!

Date: February 10, 2006 08:57PM

Cornell pp.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:00PM

According to gametracker, we're dead even on faceoffs. Feels much worse...

Date: February 10, 2006 09:01PM

7:32 to go

Date: February 10, 2006 09:03PM

Schafer takes his timeout.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:03PM

BITZ!!!!!
3-1... here we go!!!

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:05PM

Dpperk29
BITZ!!!!!
3-1... here we go!!!

Damn...so far behind...I hit refresh and then turned the volume back up and could hear the goal because it was like a minute behind.

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 3 (3rd period)
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:05PM

Dpperk29
BITZ!!!!!
3-1... here we go!!!
Good TO. 6:18 to go. It's been done before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2006 09:06PM by ugarte.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:06PM

First Cornell goal was:

3 13:42 Cor Bitz 5 (Moulson 15)

Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:06PM

just got back, looked at the score, and I must say WE SUCK. What in the heck happend?? CLARKSON! Come on!

Date: February 10, 2006 09:07PM

Out of town:

DC 5 QU 4 (3rd)
PU 4 HU 4 (3rd)
Gametracker does not believe in Canton.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:08PM

Mike K
just got back, looked at the score, and I must say WE SUCK. What in the heck happend?? CLARKSON! Come on!
Reasonable reaction.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:08PM

3:59. It's about that time...

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:09PM

I'm sick of hearing "huge save by Leggio".

Date: February 10, 2006 09:09PM

Big save by Leggio on Scott. This is just like Princeton. :-(

Date: February 10, 2006 09:10PM

It's all Cornell now.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Leroux wasn't making that many amazing saves at the end of the Princeton game. It sounds like Leggio is making incredible stops.

Man, where was this 30 minutes ago?

Date: February 10, 2006 09:11PM

BTW, this stand-in Cornell broadcaster (Tom something?) has done an excellent job. To be frank, much better than the regular guy.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:11PM

RPI 2 Yale 1 F

Date: February 10, 2006 09:12PM

Louie has left the building...

Date: February 10, 2006 09:12PM

moulson just hit the pipe

Date: February 10, 2006 09:13PM

Trotsky
BTW, this stand-in Cornell broadcaster (Tom something?) has done an excellent job. To be frank, much better than the regular guy.

I noticed that as well. Right on top of the game.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:15PM

Dpperk29
moulson just hit the pipe
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 3 (final)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:15PM

well... that was interesting...

go saints!

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 3
Date: February 10, 2006 09:16PM

Congrats to Clarkson. Big win for them. Gotta get em in Canton.

Posted by: Avash (---.whtmrs01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:17PM

St. Lawrence 3 Colgate 2, FINAL

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)

crap. take a loss here for a win later in the year I guess :)

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)

Speaking of Canton...any update?

Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:18PM

Wow, that's not good. Do you think we still have a chance at a number 1 seed in the ncaa with that loss? I hope so, I just want them to be placed in albany so i can go!

Date: February 10, 2006 09:19PM

Trotsky
Yep. I was worried coming into the game. Clarkson has been underachieving for about a month but they started the season strong enough that I was worried that a game against a "top 5" team would be just the thing they needed to wake up. Ugh. I will not be visiting USCHO.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:24PM

Well the good news, the loss didn't kill us in the PWR rankings as of now. We moved down to number 10 and Clarkson moves into a TUC without checking all the comparisons a loss by Clarkson tomorrow should improve our TUC record and probably gain one comparison back.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)

let us hope the moldin knights dont become a tuc... hope for a rebound performance tomorrow night.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)

ugarte
Trotsky
Yep. I was worried coming into the game. Clarkson has been underachieving for about a month but they started the season strong enough that I was worried that a game against a "top 5" team would be just the thing they needed to wake up. Ugh. I will not be visiting USCHO.

Hey Trotsky and Ugarte, Leggio stood on his head tonight and you guys came out strong at first, but played a little flat in the middle and came on strong later. McKee Ok? Was shaf pulling a mind game?
Drew

Date: February 10, 2006 09:29PM

Drew
Was shaf pulling a mind game?
I dunno. I think he was just influenced by being in Cheel. The ghost of Coach Morris still haunts the rink. (NB, for the humorously impaired: That was a joke.)

Date: February 10, 2006 09:31PM

ugarte
Drew
Was shaf pulling a mind game?
I dunno. I think he was just influenced by being in Cheel. The ghost of Coach Morris still haunts the rink. (NB, for the humorously impaired: That was a joke.)

LOL ...I do have a sense of humor....good luck tomorrow.
Cheers
Drew

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2006 10:05PM

And special thanks to the inbred north country faggots who poured God-knows-what all over the cars with Cornell stickers on them.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2006 10:12PM

hey, please no offensive profanity. Thanks.

Date: February 10, 2006 10:13PM

When the fuck did I ever complain about fucking profanity?

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2006 10:54PM

CowbellGuy
And special thanks to the inbred north country faggots

I don't mind profanity. Hell, at lynah it happens and i take part. The key word was offensive (something that could hurt non-involved parties). I know you understand.

Date: February 10, 2006 11:04PM

I wasn't using it to address any actual gay individuals, and never would. I was using it as a term of hatred directed at a bunch of assholes.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 11:27PM

CowbellGuy
And special thanks to the inbred north country faggots who poured God-knows-what all over the cars with Cornell stickers on them.

I'm sure that's not representative of all Clarkson fans. Nevertheless, whoever did that is really giving the Colgate student sections a run for their money as the worst 'fans' in the ECACHL.

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:10AM

I (mercifully) wasn't able to track tonight's debacle. From the posts it seems it was similar to the Princeton loss; is this true? I hate to see Cornell consistently play to the level of the competition; I have a lot of confidence against strong teams, but it seems we just can't get it together against the weaker competition!! :-( help

Re: Cornell 0 Clarkson 2 (2nd period)
Posted by: Rita (---.bntasp01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:36AM

I'm hoping some sort flu bug or something that will pass in a short time. :-/

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 01:25AM

Well, I didn't see the PU game, but from listening to that (and reading after) and watching this I'd say this was no PU. I think we controlled them territorially but not as far as chances, and good chances. That's not to say we didn't have good chances, Abbott's for sure, but overall not as many as we should have had. But you have to give some credit to their D and goalie when needed. PP was awful!!! We passed alot but never got good slapshots and couldn't work it in low enough.

I don't think McKee was pulled because of his play, rather as has been said "try playing in front of this goalie". I'm not that surprised, we have been playing at the level of the compitition for some time, and we don't play as well away. Something at home seems to work. I guess that's not so different from the teams we are playing this weekend. Their losing streaks were all away games. I thought an interesting stat was that the only game either SLU or CLK has won in the last 6 games was at home against the other team.

The CLK band was something else. When did they get the ability to play during the play of the game. I'm not talkig about just finishing a song when play resumes, but starting up during play. It was mainly the drums, but still. I went over to ask them, and tell them; their response was "this is our arena and we make the rules". Well I guess we have to see what the league says about that. Anybody know who to contact?

Well the bed is calling, so good night.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2006 02:53AM

Does anyone have any more information as to what happened with McKee?

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 11, 2006 03:24AM

[Q]The CLK band was something else. When did they get the ability to play during the play of the game. I'm not talkig about just finishing a song when play resumes, but starting up during play. It was mainly the drums, but still. I went over to ask them, and tell them; their response was "this is our arena and we make the rules". Well I guess we have to see what the league says about that. Anybody know who to contact? [/Q]

It's just part of the Cheel atmosphere, and something we always get away with at home, but rarely anywhere else. If you were the guy that came to talk to our quad player, I remember you (I was one of the tubas standing right next to him). He had no authority to respond to you at all. What you should have done, rather than coming to a player who only knows what we've always done, is gone to either the band director or the arena director. I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but it's just what we do... Lynah has it's traditions, Cheel has different ones. Would you be bitter about it if Cornell won? I'd wager no... I didn't hear any complaining last year when you shut us out at home...

Date: February 11, 2006 07:13AM

daredevilcu
[Q]The CLK band was something else. When did they get the ability to play during the play of the game. I'm not talkig about just finishing a song when play resumes, but starting up during play. It was mainly the drums, but still. I went over to ask them, and tell them; their response was "this is our arena and we make the rules". Well I guess we have to see what the league says about that. Anybody know who to contact? [/Q]

It's just part of the Cheel atmosphere, and something we always get away with at home, but rarely anywhere else. If you were the guy that came to talk to our quad player, I remember you (I was one of the tubas standing right next to him). He had no authority to respond to you at all. What you should have done, rather than coming to a player who only knows what we've always done, is gone to either the band director or the arena director. I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but it's just what we do... Lynah has it's traditions, Cheel has different ones. Would you be bitter about it if Cornell won? I'd wager no... I didn't hear any complaining last year when you shut us out at home...

The Lynah "traditions" don't directly violate NCAA rules regarding musical instruments during play.

Date: February 11, 2006 08:35AM

Tub(a)
daredevilcu

The Lynah "traditions" don't directly violate NCAA rules regarding musical instruments during play.

Although they do violate rules about throwing things on the ice.

Clarkson's and Colgate's bands have been cronically guilty of playing drums during play. This is annoying whether the teams win or lose. I'm inclined to overlook one instance of this, which is Clarkson's post-goal ritual, which goes on for a long time and includes a drum cadence pretty late in the process. But just randomly beating out a "Let's Go Tech" or "Let's Go Gate" while the puck is against rules that Cornell's band makes a point of obeying.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:12AM

daredevilcu
It's just part of the Cheel atmosphere, ..

It is a blatant violation of rules that were instituted because those other institutional dopes at RIP were handing out noise makers at their (come and fill the building once a year - tonight 2/11/06 for example) Big Red Freakout(s).

I agree that all crowds can smell a might fishy at times with their traditions, but if CCT makes it to Albany we all know that they won't be beating the tom-toms during play.

Your atmosphere reminds me of what that jerk dribble at the Cleveland Indian games accomplishes.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:13AM

Doesn't the referee have the authority to have the PA announcer issue a warning that if that sort of violation continues, if indeed it is one, a minor penalty will be called? They certainly do in basketball and I recall penalties being called at Princeton when fans threw oranges on the ice after the first PU goal.

Speaking of traditions and rules violations, etc, it's interesting that a cornell fan visiting at Cheel would complain about the band. Were there any other complaints about how the cornell fans were treated?

I'd be interested to know since there were some issues in recent years that folks brought up on this board.

I didn't get to Lynah this year or last, if I remember right, but I recall witnessing plenty of abuse from cornell fans, both verbal and physical directed at Clarkson fans in my visits over the previous 7 or 8 years. Then there's the items that get thrown onto the ice at Lynah as mentioned. Has a penalty ever been called for that?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:18AM

Rich S
Then there's the items that get thrown onto the ice at Lynah as mentioned. Has a penalty ever been called for that?

I can recall at least one occasion where a delay of game bench minor was called for fish being tossed at Harvard after play had started. Usually the fish fly during intros, then they clean it up and issue a warning - any further fishiness will result in a penalty.

Date: February 11, 2006 10:25AM

marty
daredevilcu
It's just part of the Cheel atmosphere, ..

Your atmosphere reminds me of what that jerk dribble at the Cleveland Indian games accomplishes.

Yeah I know the guy you mean at Jacobs who beats and beats and beats.

As far as the Cheel atmosphere goes that you don't like, there are elements of the Lynah atmosphere that others don't like. Legal or illegal, they can be crass and in poor taste. I know..."it's just part of the Lynah atmosphere", like say the bell at Cheel. ;-)

Date: February 11, 2006 10:31AM

Rich S
As far as the Cheel atmosphere goes that you don't like, there are elements of the Lynah atmosphere that others don't like. Legal or illegal, they can be crass and in poor taste. I know..."it's just part of the Lynah atmosphere", like say the bell at Cheel. ;-)
We are making the legal/illegal distinction on purpose. I've never been to Cheel, so I don't know how annoying the bell is, but I don't think anyone has suggested that it should be stopped. Similarly, as 'illegal' as the newspaper/fish toss is, we take our warning every game and know that the second violation is going to cost us.

Date: February 11, 2006 10:33AM

jtwcornell91
cronically
<spelling cop, IAB unit>chronically - Don't worry, officer, we have a special cell block for the men in blue</spelling cop, IAB unit>

Date: February 11, 2006 10:44AM

The bell "used to" be rung only after a Clarkson goal, but since Cheel opened and it was brought along, it rings much more often. I can see where that can be annoying.

I do recall in prior years that people here suggested it should be stopped, much like the band's playing.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:52AM

To be fair, we regularly swear (see ya asshole, you goon... fuck 'em up, let's go red, bullshit, etc) and get away with it en masse, one or two unfortunate quota-victims aside. I think there's a bit of pot-kettle-black with us telling another group of fans (and I include bands in that) how to act well.

Then again, it seems that pretty much any group of fans worth speaking of is a pot or a kettle. Maybe we should all just lighten up.

That said: screw Clarkson, they're all assholes ;)

Date: February 11, 2006 10:58AM

C'mon fellas you get away with it in your barn, we get away with some stuff in our barn.......it's called home cookin'.

Posted by: cth95 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 11:00AM

Definitely a frustrating night. I had (unfortunately) a great view of all 3 of Clarkson's goals. The puck slid through a heavy screen on the first. McKee saw it just as it got to his pads and was about to go through 5-hole as he was in the butterfly. The 2nd goal was a really nice play by Clarkson and a defensive let-down by us. A Clarkson player got by our defenseman on the right wing and rang a beauty shot off the inside of the corner of the crossbar. The puck bounced into the slot right onto another Clarkson player's stick, and he promptly one-timed it into the upper left corner. McKee didn't have a prayer.

I had a bad feeling right from the start, because Clarkson forwards were able to skate by our defensemen and get clean shots off 2-3 times in the first period alone (including the 2nd goal). They had a few more similar chances including the one in which Dodge beat Glover? and wristed a nice shot over Chabot's right shoulder into the opposite, upper corner. I remember games last year in which we didn't give up any clean shots like these during a whole game. We just were flat overall, with the exception of spurts of energy here and there in which we totally dominated. I think allowing Clarkson the 2 quick goals gave them and Leggio confidence. He made 2 or 3 amazing saves right in front of me during the 2nd period. You could visibly see his confidence rising with each one. (To the point of cockiness as he posed and waved his glove around after robbing one of our good break-aways).

It was definitely a surprise to be wearing the jersey of the goalie on the ice, and not the bench. McKee hadn't done anything wrong that I had seen, so I wonder if he just didn't feel well. It was nice to see Chabot have a chance to play in a real game. He was solid as far as making the saves, but I wonder if he was a little nervous in the 3rd period. The goal was not his fault and he made the stops, but he was lucky the defense was picking up his rebounds. With a Clarkson stick or two in the right place, there may have been another goal or two. There were many times that he would block the shot, but the puck would bounce a foot or two in front of him. Definitely made me more greatly appreciate McKee's ability to suck everything in and keep it there. Not a bad night at all for Chabot. Just a little more risky.

Let's hope the team comes out flying tonight like last week and in the home games against CU and SLU. We obviously had more talent last night, but we were outhustled and gave CU confidence. A quick start tonight can go a long way towards salvaging 2 points and maintaining 1st place. LGR!!!

Date: February 11, 2006 11:07AM

I don't remember seeing any mention of cursing in the NCAA rulebook. Playing instrumkents during play is a violation. Throwing stuff on the ice is a violation. We do it once, get warned and get penalized if it happens again. Colgate throws gum over and over throughout the game and doesn't get called. Clarkson's band plays during play over and over and nothing is done. It's hardly the same thing.

Date: February 11, 2006 11:13AM

CowbellGuy
I don't remember seeing any mention of cursing in the NCAA rulebook. Playing instrumkents during play is a violation. Throwing stuff on the ice is a violation. We do it once, get warned and get penalized if it happens again. Colgate throws gum over and over throughout the game and doesn't get called. Clarkson's band plays during play over and over and nothing is done. It's hardly the same thing.

It's really just sad that they need to resort to artificial noisemakers to get their crowd excited.

Date: February 11, 2006 11:26AM

And Onion has been hit with penalties for throwing oranges at the RIP players. This past Friday we were searched on the way into the Onion rink and the only oranges that flew were thrown after the game had concluded favorably for Onion.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 11:57AM

daredevilcu
Yeah, I would complain about it even if we were ahead (after all when I did complain I certainly didn't know you had won, did you?rolleyes). As Age and others have pointed out, we know the penalty of going past the limit. We have been penalized when something has been thrown on the ice during the play. In fact our fish throwing was a major incident back when a certain Harvard goalie was in the ECAC. We actually try very hard to police ourselves, something that you might have noted as a discussion on this forum.

What we want is equal treatment. Colgate throws gum on the ice before, during, and after the game and nothing happens. You guys play throughout the game and nothing happens. To say "I'm sorry you didn't like it but it's just what we do.." seems kind of shallow. I'd rather you just admit, as you sort of did, that you get away with it, it's illegal, but you'll do it till you get called about it.

The situation brings back a memory of referee Pierre Belanger (sp?, I don't feel like going back through my stuff to find his spelling) once at Clk. When the band was going over the top, he skated right up to the glass where they were, this was at Walker, and said something to stop it. He was very annimated, as always, and if I remember correctly (fond memories get embellished) slamed up against the glass.

We do alot of strong things to support the team, both home and away. However, although we do have some jerks who would rather call attention to themselves than be supportive, we try and stay legal. In fact every time when the band stops playing our cheer to start the third period (because the play has started), but the fans keep singing and clapping till it's done, I beam inside. The only thing better is when play stops quickly and without missing a beat, the band picks right up. Keep it up guys, doing it correctly, and doing it well let's you go home with your head up , even in a loss.:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2006 12:06PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 01:06PM

Rich S
Speaking of traditions and rules violations, etc, it's interesting that a cornell fan visiting at Cheel would complain about the band. Were there any other complaints about how the cornell fans were treated?

Did you not read Age's lovely worded complaint about someone putting some short of shit all over cars with Cornell stickers on them?

Don't play the angel on behalf of your fans either.

I'd rather have mean words said to me than come back to shit on my car. I would know cause I've had that experience (not at a sporting event).

Date: February 11, 2006 01:41PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
cronically
<spelling cop, IAB unit>chronically - Don't worry, officer, we have a special cell block for the men in blue</spelling cop, IAB unit>

Heh. That actually was a typo; I know how the word is spelled, cron jobs notwithstanding.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 11, 2006 02:38PM

Fair enough, Jim. You have a good point that you did complain long before the game was over.

[Q]I'd rather you just admit, as you sort of did, that you get away with it, it's illegal, but you'll do it till you get called about it.[/Q]

Um... all right, but I figured that went without saying. I'm a junior, I can only remember getting warned once at Cheel for the drums, so we didn't use them. Just as you guys "take your warning" and then don't throw anything else on the ice, we will play until we "take our warning" and then stop. There are specific regulations on decibel levels for what can be played during play, I believe. I haven't ever looked it up.

If your drummers (just your drummers) played during play and during your "Let's Go Red" chants, two things would probably happen. One, your cheer would have better rhythm, which I saw a lot of people complaining about a few threads down, and two, you'd probably get away with it at home, but nowhere else, provided the referee can tell which band is playing. When we're at Lynah, Appleton, Houston, Starr, or Achilles, we very rarely play anything during play because we know we can't get away with it there.

With regard to CowbellGuy's comment about the cars -- I'm sorry that some idiot did something like that. I hope you don't think it's representative of all Clarkson fans, because it most certainly isn't. Don't let it deter you from coming back next year... games are more fun with opposing fans to cheer against.

Date: February 11, 2006 02:47PM

I'm certain it's not indicative of most fans up here. This is 9th straight year I've been up here and haven't experienced anything like it anywhere else (aside from the year Colgate students sat out in front of their dorms pelting Cornell cars with random crap as they left the campus). If anything, I'd have expected it from the monkeys at Colgate first. In my experience the NC folk tend to be quite civil once the game is over, but what happened last night did happen, and clearly premeditated.

Posted by: octopusguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 05:53PM

marte and Rich S, I don't know how many indians games you've been to, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. yes he does play before and after every pitch, mostly to get the crowd going but he has never once played his drum during play. he will stop before every wind-up, with never a mistake.

Re: Indians' drummer
Date: February 11, 2006 09:45PM

No idea?? I do know what I'm talking about.

I've seen many televised Yankee games from the Jake and am familiar with his routine. I never said nor implied that he played during play.

Date: February 11, 2006 09:50PM

Yes I read it and his "lovely worded" comments were anything but.

That said, I do not condone that kind of behavior anywhere! Whatever gave you the idea that I played "angel " for the Tech fans? about and witnessed a few fans at Cheel going over the top.

FYI, I have heard of the sort of thing that Age described being done at other college venues but happily, I have not personally experienced it.

Hopefully you acknowledge that some of your Lynah fans are far from angels as well. Angels don't spew profanities at opposing fans or throw things at them like I've seen and heard there.

Fair enough?

Date: February 11, 2006 09:53PM

Jim, etal

Perhaps complaints should be directed to Steve Hagwell if any arena is lax enforcing the rules or in maintaining a safe environment for visiting fans.
t
Just a though.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:38PM

2006 NCAA MEN'S AND WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RULES AND INTERPRETATIONS[q] Interference by Spectators
SECTION 30. a. In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game are thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the play; and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is stopped.
Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice. At the discretion of the referee, a warning may be issued before the game.
b. Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers, air horns or electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
c. The band(s) shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.
PENALTIES: a. through c. Warning or bench minor against offending fans' team for delay of game.
It is the referee's discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary.
Note: Conferences or the proper disciplinary authority are encouraged to develop policies in this area if necessary. [/q][q]Crowd-Control Statement
The NCAA Men?s and Women?s Ice Hockey Rules Committee recommends that all member institutions that host intercollegiate ice hockey read the following statement before each game:
"The (name of college or university) and the NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee promote good sportsmanship by student athletes, coaches and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial or sexist comments, or other intimidating actions directed at officials, student athletes, coaches or team representatives shall not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site and, if needed, additional disciplinary action."
[/q] nut

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 11:33PM

Rich S
Yes I read it and his "lovely worded" comments were anything but.

Wow, Rich. I'm starting to think you're less of a jerk and more just completely confused by sarcasm. I know sarcasm doesn't come through easily online, but I'm pretty sure my phrase "lovely worded" was clearly sarcastic.

I'll try to remember your handicap in the future, before I automatically assume you're just being an ass. I suppose that explains most of your problems with this board. There's a ton of sarcasm on here, and if you don't get that, well, I see how it would be easy to take everything more worse.

That said, I do not condone that kind of behavior anywhere!

Hopefully you acknowledge that some of your Lynah fans are far from angels as well. Angels don't spew profanities at opposing fans or throw things at them like I've seen and heard there.

Fair enough?

Most certainly. Never claimed Lynah fans are angels. And I wouldn't want them to be :). But I certainly conceed the point that some people at Lynah to go far and take it past normal support/ribbing the opponents, and have said so on here (i.e. that stupid, inappropriate phone number chant).

So I agree, fair enough.

Date: February 12, 2006 12:14AM

Delta,
I don't normally miss sarcasm, really. In this case, I think it's
you that missed it. My comments on the "lovely worded" ones were dripping with it.

But I won't call you "an ass" for not getting it, like you called me, ok? rolleyes

Fair enough? :-D

Date: February 12, 2006 12:31AM

Rich S
Delta,
I don't normally miss sarcasm, really. In this case, I think it's you that missed it. My comments on the "lovely worded" ones were dripping with it.
OK, here's the thing. You don't know what sarcasm means.

"His 'lovely worded' comments were anything but" isn't sarcastic. It is true. It reflects your actual state of mind and expresses exactly what you wanted to express without resort to your intentions.

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 12:34AM

^^^ Listen to him; he's a comedian.

Date: February 12, 2006 12:39AM

Oh okay. If you say so, it must be. If you think I don't know sarcasm, check some other posts.

It must be great to be a know-it-all. rolleyes

Spare me the lessons in the future, ok?

Date: February 12, 2006 12:44AM

Rich S
Oh okay. If you say so, it must be. If you think I don't know sarcasm, check some other posts.

It must be great to be a know-it-all. rolleyes

Spare me the lessons in the future, ok?
One last lesson.

I know when you are being sarcastic. You mark it thusly: rolleyes That appears to be why when other people don't, you don't get it.

Date: February 12, 2006 01:00AM

I get it plenty. I suppose your claiming I don't get it makes you feel better about yourself.

But here, You just aren't getting it. I asked you to cease and desist with the lessons. But you insist on demonstrating how smart you are.

Rather, how smart you THINK you are.

There's no smilie here, so you'll have to work a bit harder this time.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:37AM

daredevilcu
Fair enough, Jim. You have a good point that you did complain long before the game was over.

[Q]I'd rather you just admit, as you sort of did, that you get away with it, it's illegal, but you'll do it till you get called about it.[/Q]

Um... all right, but I figured that went without saying. I'm a junior, I can only remember getting warned once at Cheel for the drums, so we didn't use them. Just as you guys "take your warning" and then don't throw anything else on the ice, we will play until we "take our warning" and then stop. There are specific regulations on decibel levels for what can be played during play, I believe. I haven't ever looked it up.

If your drummers (just your drummers) played during play and during your "Let's Go Red" chants, two things would probably happen. One, your cheer would have better rhythm, which I saw a lot of people complaining about a few threads down, and two, you'd probably get away with it at home, but nowhere else, provided the referee can tell which band is playing. When we're at Lynah, Appleton, Houston, Starr, or Achilles, we very rarely play anything during play because we know we can't get away with it there.
The unwritten rule about playing instruments/beating drums during game play is that the ref has to complain about it before any action is taken against the offender. I feel like this is not a great way to police this stuff because, honestly, the ref ought to be paying attention to the ice, and not the stands. I guess you could say the same for the fish toss, though, so I'm happy to call that even.

In light of said evenness, then, I wasn't bothered by in-game drumming NEARLY as much as I was bothered by half the Clarkson band parading over to the Cornell band and playing over us behind our section, ostensibly to throw us off our song. That's ugly. Gopher band level ugly (they paraded around their rink in circles at the regional last year the way they do for all their home games, despite the fact that it's supposed to be a neutral location--f'ing ridiculous). Particularly when the Clarkson rink manager (last year, at least) insisted that the bands never play over each other for the sake of the older alumni in attendance who might be bothered by the noise... nevermind that you have a HUGE FREAKING TRAIN WHISTLE. :-D

Date: February 12, 2006 06:22AM

Section A Banshee
... nevermind that you have a HUGE FREAKING TRAIN WHISTLE. :-D

Is their fog horn worse than RIP's? Must be an engineer thing. Maybe it harkens back to the days when there were few women in engineering. A mating call of sorts.

Date: February 12, 2006 06:27AM

octopusguy
marte and Rich S, I don't know how many indians games you've been to, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. yes he does play before and after every pitch, mostly to get the crowd going but he has never once played his drum during play. he will stop before every wind-up, with never a mistake.

OK, I apologize, the drum thing at the Jake is pure genius. stupid I wish there was a drum at every sporting event including Little League. It adds so much to the atmosphere of the game. Gives rhythm to my thoughts, etc.....

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:10AM

Can something be done about the Clarkson train whistle? I mean, if it was CalTech playing Clarkson, you know for sure the whistle wouldn't work after the opening puck was dropped.

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 3 - game over, already!
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:13PM

This is so bizarre, seeing Friday night's Clarkson thread popping to the top of the forum more than Saturday night's thread. But, okay, the forum is open to all who can type, including our friends from the north country.

Re: Cornell 1 Clarkson 3 - game over, already!
Date: February 12, 2006 08:40PM

<bump> For Bill :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:28AM

billhoward
Can something be done about the Clarkson train whistle? I mean, if it was CalTech playing Clarkson, you know for sure the whistle wouldn't work after the opening puck was dropped.
IIRC, some expeditions have been mounted to "enhance" the whistle over the years, but they have all been unsuccessful. If you want details, PM me. I don't know anything more, but I like getting personal messages.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: February 14, 2006 02:35PM

Hopefully the "would-be" enhancers were excused from the (k)night's proceedings.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login