Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

O'Byrne, Pokulok Status?

Posted by Ken '70 
O'Byrne, Pokulok Status?
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:04PM

Not that they were missed in the sweep.

Re: O'Byrne, Pokulok Status?
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:07PM

CHN has them both listed as "questionable" for this weekend...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:50PM

I'd be very surprised if Pokuluk didnt play. He dressed for warmups on Saturday night so he was very close even then to returning. O'Byrne was close to returning last weekend as well but I'm much less sure about him. You can PM me for more details regarding both of them.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 12:19AM

Why PM you instead of just posting whatever you know?

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 12:41AM

if it were meant for the public we'd see it on the cornell website :) competitive advantage if the other team doesnt know whose injured/not

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 01:01AM

i have seen their injury reports, as well as all other players and teams on the web. its common knowlage.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 01:26AM

At one point during the 2002-03 season, one of our players was injured but the exact nature extent of the injury wasn't public knowledge. ("Public knowledge" in this context means posted on the school's official athletic website" or "described by Schafer in a postgame interview for USCHO" or something like that. "Everybody knows anyway" doesn't count.) I and some other fans found out more specifics during a postgame conversation with that player's father, who also asked us not to publicize that information further. That information was not spread further, out of respect and courtesy towards that player and his father.

I don't know the specifics of laws prohibiting spreading confidential medical information that Hayes might bring up when he sees this thread, or whether people actually think there's a risk that the information might "fall into the wrong hands" if it gets posted here. I just feel like that same respect and courtesy should be extended to information that might not necessarily come with the same explicit request for confidentiality.

Just one man's opinion.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:40AM

I think Schafer should follow Belichick and list everybody as "questionable" every week. Or list McKee as "severed head," and then have him magically appear at the pregame skate, demoralizing the opponent.

Re: O'Byrne, Pokulok Status? (privacy vs. free speech)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:15AM

Are we headed for another discussion on privacy vs. right to know vs. most everyone probably knows so everyone ought to know discussion?

Students including student athletes are entitled to quite a bit of privacy about their medical conditions (far more than a generation ago) ... but at the same time it's hard for word not to spread around campus and at that point, it's hard to believe some of that information doesn't get back to opponent colleges.

Cornell as an official body may not be able to report on it, thus the limited information on cornellbigred.com.

Pros have to - they're supposed to - fully disclose injuries so gamblers with inside information don't have an unfair advantage. (Insert Janet Jones joke here.) Even if it means a mean-spirited opponent might try to take a run at the hobbled player early on in the match. Probably makes sense to disclose for college football and basketball, but Caesar's Sports Book most likely doesn't have a line on Cornell at Clarkson hockey. (If there were, bet Clarkson to beat the 2-goal spread (USCHO pdediction) because backing a home underdog is the closest thing there is to a safe bet in gamblinlg.)

What we want to talk about, or gossip about here, doesn't fall under any HIPAA laws because we're not the people in possession of the medical records.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:37AM

jmh30

I don't know the specifics of laws prohibiting spreading confidential medical information that Hayes might bring up when he sees this thread, or whether people actually think there's a risk that the information might "fall into the wrong hands" if it gets posted here. I just feel like that same respect and courtesy should be extended to information that might not necessarily come with the same explicit request for confidentiality.

Just one man's opinion.

which is why I did not disclose the nature or extent of the injurys, or where I saw the information. that thread should be retired.

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 04:06PM

and we could all just not be so nosey...

(and on a side note, billhoward, re: HIPAA comment...good point)

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2006 05:11PM

HIPAA only applies to health professionals to begin with. However, I am sure a good point could be made in a civil court regarding this issue.

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 05:23PM

canuck89
HIPAA only applies to health professionals to begin with. However, I am sure a good point could be made in a civil court regarding this issue.
Oh god, not again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login