Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Does anybody else

Posted by Mike K 
Does anybody else
Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:16PM

Hate the lynah renovation idea that is scheduled for this offseason. I just feel this way because I have been going to cornell games ever since i was young and lynah has always had this feel of tradition to it. I just feel that this will take away from alot of that. I am so frustrated they are taking away standing room I have always hated rinks that dont have that. I dont know, what do you guys think, I just am really not looking forward to lynah changing, i think it's perfect the way it is.

Re: Does anybody else
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:21PM

I feel the same way you do about Lynah. It's a barn, but it's our barn, and it's steeped with tradition and history.

But the upcoming renovations are at least partly the result of Coach Schafer's input and his vision of the ideal Cornell arena. He has been a part of Cornell hockey for the better part of twenty-five years now, and we know how much he cares about the program's history and traditions. There are few other people I would trust with Lynah's improvement and stewardship besides him.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:22PM

I think as long as they're changing it, why don't they extend the seats to go ALL the way around the rink? That seems to me to be the logical place to add extras.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:25PM

Mike K
Hate the lynah renovation idea that is scheduled for this offseason. I just feel this way because I have been going to cornell games ever since i was young and lynah has always had this feel of tradition to it. I just feel that this will take away from alot of that. I am so frustrated they are taking away standing room I have always hated rinks that dont have that. I dont know, what do you guys think, I just am really not looking forward to lynah changing, i think it's perfect the way it is.
I think renovating Lynah is a great thing, for many reasons:

(1) Perhaps most important, they're improving the facilities in a way that will help recruiting.

(2) Maybe tied for most important is they're not knocking it down and building a new, faceless facility. Our beloved benches onto which we can cram 30 people per row in section B will remain. The low roof and resulting loud noise will remain. Dave will still be there, atop the noxious propane resurfacer. :) Arthur will still be PA announcer. Yadda yadda yadda.

We lost the beloved bounce a few years ago, but I suspect the place will still feel like home.

(3) They'll obviously be replacing the nasty, communal men's bathroom behind section A. :)

Now if only the ECAC would allow beer sales, I'd be all set. :)

Edit: (4) Lynah is badly in need of added capacity. Even a few hundred more seats would ease the pressure a lot, and bring market price a little closer to face value. Er, maybe I shouldn't have added that last sentence...

Cheers,
Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 06:26PM by krose.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:37PM

I really dislike the way Cornell adds on to buildings. I like Lynah as much as the next guy and I understand attaching the Bartels to Lynah allowed shared bathrooms, concessions, etc. But it looks ridiculous to have a new(ish) field house with what looks like a large quonset hut sticking out the side. At least they could have upgraded the exterior at the time. Now I can't even imagine what things are going to look like post-renovation. Probably just like something built in stages. Same goes for Duffield being stuck to Phillips. And could they have matched the stone when they added on to the law school?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:39PM

1) I don't like the idea of "premium seating" (or whateverthey're calling it. new seats aren't necessarily a bad thing, if they're more of the same.
2) I don't see the need for a new fancy lobby/concourse (if that's even still part of the plan) - I like the setup we have now.
3) I hate the idea of having a decent locker room for visiting teams. :-D
4) I really hate the new bench/penalty box idea.

Edit: 5) I will also miss the spectacle of seeing coaches carefully making their way across the freshly resurfaced ice. Hopefully we'll still get to see the opponents' coaches do this.

That said, there's a perception in the college hockey world that you need to have "up to date" facilities to attract top recruits. It amazes me to think that kids would be more impressed by the locker room at Agganis than the atmosphere at Lynah, but I suppose it's possible. If we need to renovate to keep up then at least the current plan seems to preserve most of the features that make Lynah dear to my heart (bench seating, close to the ice, low roof, etc.)

Basically I'm with you in spirit, Mike, but I think we'll do OK with this plan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 06:46PM by KeithK.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:43PM

las224
I think as long as they're changing it, why don't they extend the seats to go ALL the way around the rink?
They can't extend the building in that direction -- that parking lot has already been scheduled for encroachment by *other* buildings.

If they started selling beer, at least Colgate fans would make the trip down.

Date: February 07, 2006 06:43PM

There is no over-riding architectural theme (?) to campus buildings. I assume this was intentional. Buildings built at different times look differently, as opposed to a place like Princeton or Miami of Ohio where everything has to fit a specific style. The Lynah/Alberding juxtaposition reflects this (though I'm not claiming that this effect was intentional).

We're supposed to love diversity right?

BTW - why would you want to have a new building that matches anything on the Engineering Quad? nut

Date: February 07, 2006 06:52PM

The "new lobby" can actually be pulled off really well. They did a great job at Gutterson, where they effectively shoved the tendrils of a secondary structure around and into the original building, but left the whole rest of the building alone (think of the face-hugger scene in Alien).

I would love it if they radically back-dated the look of the lobby. My favorite building in all of sports is Appleton, and walking into that building feels like stepping into the Lake Placid Rink for the 1932 Olympic final. I'm sure instead we'll get some ghastly, impersonal stainless steel and plastic hospital waiting room, like the lobby of Cheel. But in the end, as long as they don't fuck with the rink itself, whatever.

Date: February 07, 2006 07:02PM

KeithK
There is no over-riding architectural theme (?) to campus buildings. I assume this was intentional. Buildings built at different times look differently, as opposed to a place like Princeton or Miami of Ohio where everything has to fit a specific style. The Lynah/Alberding juxtaposition reflects this (though I'm not claiming that this effect was intentional).

I'm just saying don't actually attach the buildings to each other if the styles don't match.

[q]BTW - why would you want to have a new building that matches anything on the Engineering Quad?[/q]

I would have swung the wrecking ball at Phillips (and Upson, Carpenter. . . ) but not my beloved Olin Hall of Pain and Suffering.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:05PM

Trotsky
I would love it if they radically back-dated the look of the lobby. My favorite building in all of sports is Appleton, and walking into that building feels like stepping into the Lake Placid Rink for the 1932 Olympic final.
Are you talking about Appleton before or after they added the new lobby?

Date: February 07, 2006 07:16PM

jmh30
Are you talking about Appleton before or after they added the new lobby?
I guess before, since I haven't been there since about '94.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:21PM

KeithK
We're supposed to love diversity right?

At least according to the arches erected all over campus.

When was the last major renovation of any sort at Lynah?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.abr-ubr2.sbo-abr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:23PM

nyc94
I really dislike the way Cornell adds on to buildings... Same goes for Duffield being stuck to Phillips. And could they have matched the stone when they added on to the law school?

Well it has been some time since I was on campus and in a design department (Landscape Arch. '95) but I will chime in anyways :-P

I think the decision to place Duffield on the Engineering Quad was a huge mistake and placing it either on the baseball field (softball is already exiled, why not find a new diamond as well) or even better where the current power plant is would have had some real upside (the power plant could have used a major upgrade 10 years ago and this would have reused an ecologically damaged site, still had proximity to the parking garage and provided and anchor building on the Orchards/Rt366 side of campus, plus plenty of room to do a really cool building and relatively easy access for chemical delivery etc. of 366, at least compared to central campus).

With regards to the Law School addition... I actually think that is one of the better efforts to respect the existing while taking advantage of new materials etc. One reason they wont mach that stone from the old law school, Willard Straight and Stone Row is that it isnt the best quality stuff. It was all mined from Libe Slope primarily over by the down hill side of the Art Museum and isnt the best grade (deterioriates in the Ithaca weather faster than higher quality material). Another factor is that local and state level historical societies have been pushing architects to make stronger distinctions between existing structures and additions... this is one reason (there may be others as well) that the additon on Sage Hall (library plus other stuff) is so diferent in color and module from the historic building (man that was a cool project). I understand the initial designs were much closer in style but they asked the firm to change them. While on the topic, what ever happened to that design monstrosity that was going to replace Rand on the corner of the Arts Quad?

Oh and for something entirely different (relevant to hockey)... I got nothing

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:29PM

Cornell95
nyc94
I really dislike the way Cornell adds on to buildings... Same goes for Duffield being stuck to Phillips. And could they have matched the stone when they added on to the law school?

Well it has been some time since I was on campus and in a design department (Landscape Arch. '95) but I will chime in anyways :-P

I think the decision to place Duffield on the Engineering Quad was a huge mistake and placing it either on the baseball field (softball is already exiled, why not find a new diamond as well) or even better where the current power plant is would have had some real upside

Duffield's location is actually serving a purpose -- engineering students finally have a central meeting place. The atrium is packed all day with people studying or just hanging out.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:35PM

KP '06
Cornell95
nyc94

I think the decision to place Duffield on the Engineering Quad was a huge mistake and placing it either on the baseball field (softball is already exiled, why not find a new diamond as well) or even better where the current power plant is would have had some real upside

Duffield's location is actually serving a purpose -- engineering students finally have a central meeting place. The atrium is packed all day with people studying or just hanging out.

Well, they used to have a quad. I can't really vouch for how much of a meeting place it was since my 4 years only got to have it for one fucking semester.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:43PM

At least 400 people are going to absolutely love it. Architecturally, nothing you do to Lynah is going to hurt it, other than maybe putting a Tony Soprano style circletop window in the west end wall. Princeton did a nice job adding a glassed walkway outside the two sides of the rink, and that mixes old and new quite well. The Bartels connector is great for families, people who want cleaner/warmer bathrooms, and the restless. You can be a fan and walk away from your seat between periods. The players are going to like the new facility and so will the women's team. Maybe it'll help their recruiting, too.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:56PM

French Rage
Well, they used to have a quad. I can't really vouch for how much of a meeting place it was since my 4 years only got to have it for one fucking semester.

It wasn't a meeting place at all. It was a nice place to sit on occassion, but not a lot of people did. That said, I think they didn a very nice job with the new quad. People thought there wouldn't really be any quad left after Duffield.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:57PM

Well, I must say that in thinking of travel details for the D/H weekend, it started to hit me that it will probably be my last time to take in and enjoy the "original configuration" of Lynah Rink, and I intend to savor and capture every last moment of it.

Part of me is sad, but most is accepting. Time marches on, and sometimes we have to move on. Original Yankee Stadium, lights in Wrigley, etc. But I'm with the majority in saying that I'm confident and satisfied that these renovations will keep most of the charm and atmosphere, and that's most important. Just from reading about it, I think that the renovation will be similar to the one that Appleton got a few years ago, and I think they did a very good job with that. You can't tell anything was done while simultaneously watching the game and trying to convince the ushers to let you stand (and to meet you after the game...bring the sweaters).

And, selfishly, I've been on the freaking season ticket waiting list since 2001. If this gets me in faster, let me help with that shovel.

Date: February 07, 2006 07:59PM

DeltaOne81
French Rage

It wasn't a meeting place at all. It was a nice place to sit on occassion, but not a lot of people did. That said, I think they didn a very nice job with the new quad. People thought there wouldn't really be any quad left after Duffield.

What Fred said. I was surprised to see how much open space remains. And now with the landscaping, it affords a natural-themed sitting area outside, and enough room for Ultimate games.

Date: February 07, 2006 07:59PM

[q]this is one reason ... that the additon on Sage Hall ... is so diferent in color and module from the historic building (man that was a cool project).[/q]They tore down the historic building! Sure, they kept the facade but they basically tore it down. I admit the place was something of a dump by the late 90's and it's kind of cool that they could do it that way, but they still basically tore down a historic building and called it a renovation. (It still kind of pisses me off. It was our dump!)

Date: February 07, 2006 08:09PM

[q]When was the last major renovation of any sort at Lynah?[/q]Depends what you mean by "major". I don't remember any renovations that would count as major in my book. The rink got new boards and compressors sometime in the last five years or so. The new press box was put in the late 90's. The home locker rooms were redone in the 90's as well, I think. And the building was attached to Alberding in the 1990 timeframe. But more or less the layout of the rink hasn't changed since it was built.

Date: February 07, 2006 08:15PM

Sorry for pulling quotes from all over to confuse you wacky "threaded view" people...

KeithK
1) I don't like the idea of "premium seating"
You mean like Section C? I'm sure those molded-ass seats were considered premium when they decided to put them in. :-)

Kyle
(3) They'll obviously be replacing the nasty, communal men's bathroom behind section A. :)
Name a bathroom at an arena that isn't communal. At least we don't have a trough. Nasty...point taken, but you don't have to go outside to reach the de-nastified Field House bathrooms.

FrenchRage
They replaced the boards, lights, and ice surface cooling system several summers ago. But that didn't really effect the non-photography fan experience. The Lynah Bounce (tm) ceased to be, but haven't people commented this year that the ice has looked slushy? What happened?

KeithK
Buildings built at different times look differently, as opposed to a place like Princeton or Miami of Ohio where everything has to fit a specific style. The Lynah/Alberding juxtaposition reflects this (though I'm not claiming that this effect was intentional).
Or Stanford. :-P Give me Berkeley's campus anyday over that isolated, faux Spanish Mission, homogeneity.

The Lynah/Alber-what now? :-)

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.abr-ubr2.sbo-abr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 08:18PM

KeithK
They tore down the historic building! Sure, they kept the facade but they basically tore it down. I admit the place was something of a dump by the late 90's and it's kind of cool that they could do it that way, but they still basically tore down a historic building and called it a renovation. (It still kind of pisses me off. It was our dump!)

From what I remember the dining hall in the basement had a major cockroach problem among other things... might have been one of the reasons they took out everything. Plus the top 3 floors used to be dorm rooms, which would have needed crazy renovation to be turned into suitable offices/classroom space

I had a good friend who lived there the last year it was dorm, total hole, but what a location, roll out of bed, grab a bagel from the dining hall and 5 minutes to the Arts/Ag/Engin quad

Date: February 07, 2006 08:19PM

RichH
KeithK
1) I don't like the idea of "premium seating"
You mean like Section C? I'm sure those molded-ass seats were considered premium when they decided to put them in. :-)
If the premium seats end up being like Section C then I'm basically OK with it. I just hope they don't try to go for anything overly upscale - some sort of real "I'm too good for the rest of you rabble" boxes.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:24PM

Cornell95
KeithK
They tore down the historic building! Sure, they kept the facade but they basically tore it down. I admit the place was something of a dump by the late 90's and it's kind of cool that they could do it that way, but they still basically tore down a historic building and called it a renovation. (It still kind of pisses me off. It was our dump!)

From what I remember the dining hall in the basement had a major cockroach problem among other things... might have been one of the reasons they took out everything. Plus the top 3 floors used to be dorm rooms, which would have needed crazy renovation to be turned into suitable offices/classroom space

I had a good friend who lived there the last year it was dorm, total hole, but what a location, roll out of bed, grab a bagel from the dining hall and 5 minutes to the Arts/Ag/Engin quad

While I never saw Cage in its old form, I think they did a great job with the place. While it is true that only the facade and two chandeliers remain of the old place they did a good job of keeping what was important, namely the outside. If anyone can think of a great place that existed on the inside I am all ears.

In the end it's functional, makes a good use of space, and has a clear distinction of old and new. Of places to be trapped for 2 years I couldn't ask for much more. Lastly, the atrium is fantastic.

-WillR
MBA '06

Date: February 07, 2006 11:32PM

RichH
FrenchRage
They replaced the boards, lights, and ice surface cooling system several summers ago. But that didn't really effect the non-photography fan experience. The Lynah Bounce (tm) ceased to be, but haven't people commented this year that the ice has looked slushy? What happened?
Could it just be that it's been a warm winter? There've been a few record high days in January.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:33PM

WillR
If anyone can think of a great place that existed on the inside I am all ears.
I loved Sage Dining. I ate late lunch there for an entire semester after my OS class, and frequently ate there at other times when I happened to be on central campus. Very convenient, and much less crowded than Chokenshits. I also loved the ambience of the dungeons: I never got completely used to the layout, and it always seemed like there was one more table to be had at the busiest times, if you just rounded another two turns in the dungeons.

And I never saw a cockroach. That doesn't mean, however, that I didn't ingest one... :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: February 07, 2006 11:38PM

Cornell95
Another factor is that local and state level historical societies have been pushing architects to make stronger distinctions between existing structures and additions... this is one reason (there may be others as well) that the additon on Sage Hall (library plus other stuff) is so diferent in color and module from the historic building (man that was a cool project).
The story that had been going around campus after the Sage renovations were completed was that the new brick didn't match the old brick because they had selected new bricks to match the old bricks as they looked in the building, but then once the old bricks were cleaned up they weren't the same color. Does sound kind of boneheaded for a big university with a good architecture school, maybe your explanation is actually true.

Date: February 08, 2006 12:09AM

RichH
I think that the renovation will be similar to the one that Appleton got a few years ago, and I think they did a very good job with that. You can't tell anything was done while simultaneously watching the game and trying to convince the ushers to let you stand (and to meet you after the game...bring the sweaters).
Agreed. I think the new Appleton lobby looks very good with the remainder of the rink.

I also think we need to go back sometime. Forgot about those ushers. :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:45AM

jmh30
Cornell95
Another factor is that local and state level historical societies have been pushing architects to make stronger distinctions between existing structures and additions... this is one reason (there may be others as well) that the additon on Sage Hall (library plus other stuff) is so diferent in color and module from the historic building (man that was a cool project).
The story that had been going around campus after the Sage renovations were completed was that the new brick didn't match the old brick because they had selected new bricks to match the old bricks as they looked in the building, but then once the old bricks were cleaned up they weren't the same color. Does sound kind of boneheaded for a big university with a good architecture school, maybe your explanation is actually true.

Your story sounds reminiscent of the legend of Uris Hall's rust, which was supposed to turn appealing colors rather than just ... rusty.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:23AM

jtwcornell91
Your story sounds reminiscent of the legend of Uris Hall's rust, which was supposed to turn appealing colors rather than just ... rusty.
That's a true one: [ezra.cornell.edu]

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:09AM

WillR
If anyone can think of a great place that existed on the inside I am all ears.
It was the best dorm on campus. I lived there for one semester before getting kicked out to turn the building into Language House. The rooms were huge, the halls were wide enough for real (and violent) hall sports, and it was as close as you could get to ILR or the Engineering Quad.

Date: February 08, 2006 11:06AM

jmh30
Cornell95

It is completely true. The development folks were informed about the difference between old and new and the reasons for it before the renovations took place. The story you heard is especially absurd when you consider that the bricks are not only different colors, but different sizes and composition.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:06AM

I obviously have not looked at the plans as much as you all have -shame on me. But i think 400 more seats is a great thing to do. Like others i would love to have seen stands in the west end but parking is scarce and since clearing woods to park more cars is unpopular.....

I think preservering the character of Lynah is important if for no other reason that to keep things the similar enough for the fans, but it is secondary. Wait, do not label me a blasphemer yet. Ultimately one factor people have overlooked in discussions is that what makes Lynah great are the people and the team put in it.

That said when we go on the road to follow our favorite team, the opposition KNOWS we are there. Even when outnumbered we do our best not to be outgunned. I think as long as we can keep the character of the people inside and that hostile attmosphere then any change will work out just fine. That said if they replace the plywood on the roof with something that absorbs noise then we might have a problem. Can someone check on this?

-WillR

Date: February 08, 2006 11:18AM

WillR
but parking is scarce and since clearing woods to park more cars is unpopular.....
At the risk of going off-topic, I don't think this statement is quite accurate: as with basically every activist cause I associate with Ithaca and Cornell, this one began and was sustained by a very vocal but very small group. In fact, more parking on campus would be very popular, even in an overgrown field. But, I digress.

I think preservering the character of Lynah is important if for no other reason that to keep things the similar enough for the fans, but it is secondary. Wait, do not label me a blasphemer yet. Ultimately one factor people have overlooked in discussions is that what makes Lynah great are the people and the team put in it.
Yeah, but as you imply later, there are characteristics of the barn that help make the fans what they are. You replace Walker with Cheel and what do you get? A morgue, and basically a dead hockey tradition. Now, I'd like to think that the Lynah faithful tradition could survive such a transition, but do you really want to take that chance?

Besides, there's something intangible about going back to Lynah: it's partially nostalgia---the feeling of going home to place in which I spent a lot of quality time---but it's just as much about the events I didn't witness there, but that I knew occurred in that building.

That second part would be all lost in the move to a new facility, and IMO that would be a bad thing, simply to get glossy new seats that are hard to stand on and a brand-spanking-new center ice scoreboard that insists on bleating out piped-in cuts of Aerosmith and AC/DC at every stoppage and that insists on a CHARGE! chant every few minutes. No thanks: you can spruce up what we have and add a little capacity, but I don't want all the baggage that comes along with a new facility.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:18AM

Beeeej
The story you heard is especially absurd

Ladies and Gentlemen...the new Johnnie Cochran.

Date: February 08, 2006 11:26AM

RichH
Beeeej
The story you heard is especially absurd

Ladies and Gentlemen...the new Johnnie Cochran.

Ha! :-} And it was totally unintentional.

(And quite unconventional.)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:37AM

Krose,

I think we are basically the same mind.

With parking, I merely wanted to point out the University might predictable want to avoid having to look for more spaces. I think that expanding seating west makes the most sense and i am sorry they won't be doing it. i am just not surprised. If they are smart they would make an addition that does not remove this option in the future.

Also i didn't want to sound like i thought they could do a lot to Lynah let alone anything they desire such as some new faceless building. i love it as it is and i too would prefer to see as little change as possible, right down to keeping the hockey locker room that the opposition and i use as unwelcoming as ever. The less we move away from what is clearly a successful format, the better. I guess what i was trying to get at was that, i think the fans play a huge part and because of that we have a little wiggle room.

-WillR

Date: February 08, 2006 11:40AM

WillR
With parking, .... If they are smart they would make an addition that does not remove this option in the future.

Also i didn't want to sound like i thought they could do a lot to Lynah let alone anything they desire such as some new faceless building. .... i think the fans play a huge part and because of that we have a little wiggle room.
Agreed on both counts.

As for parking, Cornell should solicit donations for a huge new, 5,000-spot parking garage right in front of Clark Hall. It would have the dual positive impact of hiding Clark Hall from the rest of campus and providing central campus parking to whomever wanted it. I'd donate to that. :)

Kyle

Date: February 08, 2006 11:44AM

krose
As for parking, Cornell should solicit donations for a huge new, 5,000-spot parking garage right in front of Clark Hall. It would have the dual positive impact of hiding Clark Hall from the rest of campus and providing central campus parking to whomever wanted it. I'd donate to that. :)

I'm not the only one that hates Clark Hall! :-) Yet another ugly Cornell building attached to not one but two reasonably attractive buildings. At least they are attached at the corners rather than along one entire side (I'm still baffled by Duffield).

Anyone know how hard it would be to put another deck on the parking garage? If they can put a four story penthouse on a six story brownstone in Greenwich Village I think they can do anything.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:53AM

Cornell95
While on the topic, what ever happened to that design monstrosity that was going to replace Rand on the corner of the Arts Quad?

They have moved on to architect #3. Too many chiefs....

[www.news.cornell.edu]

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:54AM

No. The cooling pipes that run beneath the ice are very efficient and effective -- especially since new ones were put in ~4-5 years ago. To me, the ice hasn't looked slushy, it's just been uneven (hence the bounces).

To see the effectiveness of the cooling, notice how it only takes 6-7 minutes for the ice to freeze. For those of you who were at the Rochester game (BC arena), the ice there took >10 before play start and was still nonfrozen.

The main reason for puck bounces would naturally be uneven ice which gets worse as the game goes on. One resurfacing (between periods) does not do enough to fully restore deep grooves created by skates. In this same light, due to practices and such, the ice will always be best at the beginning of the season or after a long break.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:57AM

nyc94
I'm not the only one that hates Clark Hall! :-)

Yeah, but how many of you were doomed to actually toil away in that hideous place?
*sheepishly raises hand* Every time I drive into town on Rt. 79, that beast just sits right in my line of sight...taunting me.

krose

Too late.
[www.cornellsun.com]
[Q]Just a bit down the hill from Bailey Hall, there are designs for an estimated $125 million new physical sciences building to replace the circle and parking between Baker, Clark and Rockefeller Halls. Part of the New Life Sciences Initiative, the space will be designated for the chemistry, chemical biology and physics departments in arts and sciences and applied and engineering physics in engineering.[/Q]

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:01PM

I would like to speak up and say that this renovation might possibly be better than adding the seats to the West end. I think we all underestimate the impact that the giant cinderblock wall has on the acoustics of the rink. Removing that wall and replacing it with seats would reduce the noise level MUCH more compared to the planned renovations for next year.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:06PM

RichH

Too late.
[www.cornellsun.com]
[Q]Just a bit down the hill from Bailey Hall, there are designs for an estimated $125 million new physical sciences building to replace the circle and parking between Baker, Clark and Rockefeller Halls. Part of the New Life Sciences Initiative, the space will be designated for the chemistry, chemical biology and physics departments in arts and sciences and applied and engineering physics in engineering.[/Q]

Yeah, and if you've seen the plans that will be a monstrosity in itself. It is going to be a modern looking building (the outside looks a lot like duffield) stuffed between Rockefeller Baker and Clark.

Date: February 08, 2006 12:08PM

RichH
krose

Too late.
[www.cornellsun.com]

From that article "Traffic patterns will change in that cars and buses will be able to go around Bailey Hall as opposed to through it." Through it? uhoh Perhaps that should read Bailey Plaza.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 03:27PM by CowbellGuy.

Date: February 08, 2006 12:13PM

Winnabago

...what, "spoil Kansas City"?

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: February 08, 2006 12:15PM

Beeeej
Winnabago

...what, "spoil Kansas City"?

Beeeej
... not enough Indians.

Re: Does anybody else (has anyone seen the plans?)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:34PM

I've read about them, I've read comments about them ... but I have not seen the actual plans or drawings. Who has? I'm still having trouble figuring how this is going to be a one-story structure on the south side yet have team dressing rooms there given that the ice surface is well below grade level on the south side. Either it's going to be a long sloping walk up, or the dressing rooms are underneath the one story that is above ground.

Date: February 08, 2006 01:20PM

As I've heard it described there will be a staircase from the locker rooms down to a tunnel at ice level. Seems strange to me, but if I can climb stairs in skates I'm sure players who were all but born on skates can do it even more easily.

Posted by: pat (---.geo.cornell.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:06PM

David Harding
jtwcornell91
That's a true one: [ezra.cornell.edu]

*sigh*

Uncle Ezra asked the same people that run the tour guides, who have shown remarkable stubbornness in adhering to this myth.

Cor-Ten steel isn't supposed to turn pretty colors. It's supposed to rust. The idea is then that the rust doesn't flake off, so the structure doesn't weaken. Cor-Ten is US Steel's trademarked name; the generic name is "weathering steel."

The USX Tower in Pittsbugh, the Time-Life Building in Chicago, and the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia are all made of Cor-Ten steel, and none are even remotely "bluish yellow."

Date: February 08, 2006 02:08PM

KeithK
As I've heard it described there will be a staircase from the locker rooms down to a tunnel at ice level. Seems strange to me, but if I can climb stairs in skates I'm sure players who were all but born on skates can do it even more easily.
Oh, no... please tell me this is wrong. Walking up and down stairs in skates *sucks*. Especially after you've been busting your ass for 30 minutes.

Ugggg... I tell you, they are going to regret this...

Kyle

Date: February 08, 2006 02:13PM

Well, if we don't see a big hole being dug in April then we know there'll have to be steps or else a long ramp taking up a lot of space.

Maybe they'll just put in a huge elevator. Or how about escalators?

Date: February 08, 2006 02:33PM

KeithK
Maybe they'll just put in a huge elevator.
I can just imagine it.

Schafer: "Guys, we're putting DiLeo in because the elevator got stuck with Dave in it."

Or how about escalators?
I can come up with even more gruesome stuff for this. yark

Kyle

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:07PM

How about they slide down a firepole at the start of the period? (Complete with annoying bush league fire-engine siren.)

Date: February 08, 2006 03:11PM

krose

Or how about escalators?
Hmm. Well, I suppose if the home lockers were at ice level and visitors were one step down... ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 03:12PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 08, 2006 03:20PM

jtwcornell91
How about they slide down a firepole at the start of the period? (Complete with annoying bush league fire-engine siren.)
ROTFL.

Kyle

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 04:27PM

Jacob '06
Yeah, and if you've seen the plans that will be a monstrosity in itself. It is going to be a modern looking building (the outside looks a lot like duffield) stuffed between Rockefeller Baker and Clark.

Will it have Duffield's devil horns? That place looks creepy at twilight and on any other weird-light day because of the odd way its smokestacks (?) catch the light and glow.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 04:57PM

pat
...and none are even remotely "bluish yellow."
More commonly known as "green". :-P

Date: February 08, 2006 04:59PM

krose
KeithK
Or how about escalators?

"Escalators can't break, they can only become stairs."
-Steven Wright

Date: February 08, 2006 04:59PM

jtwcornell91
Dude, admit it. That would be AWESOME.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 05:43PM

jmh30
jtwcornell91
I'd be too worried it'd turn into some sort of bizzare male stripper routine.
uhoh

Date: February 08, 2006 05:44PM

jtwcornell91
jmh30
jtwcornell91
uhoh
Dude, admit it...

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 06:30PM

jtwcornell91
uhoh

Well, they're already putting out the team calendar (as we saw in FL)...maybe next year's edition could feature the firepole.

Posted by: DL (---.dcna.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:00PM

To hell with renovations, for the money involved, why not outfit the rink with High Definition cameras in all the usual areas, start a course in media studies that would have students run a weekend sports program out of Lynah, set up lounges in key spots around the campus for viewing by those not fortunate enough to attend, then offer the feed for sale to the likes of CSTV, et al.?
Seems to me this kills many birds with one stone: keeping the intimacy of the rink, promoting the school/program locally and nationally, increasing viewership without increasing traffic, and giving the vast population of students and alums who can't get tickets a chance to savor some of the excitement. There's plenty more, to be sure (I'm lookin at you, All Access).
If this has already been mentioned and shot down for good reasons, then nevermind...

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:08PM

Duffield also makes a nice walk-through to Collegetown from Lynah on those really cold nights (like during last year's January games)...

The inside reminds me of a shopping mall... except there's no Sunglass Hut

Date: February 08, 2006 07:08PM

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you might need a local blackout rule for non-sellouts. :-D

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:30PM

When was the last time Lynah didn't sell out? Can't have been that recent...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.145.168.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:35PM

daredevilcu

UAH, November 2001.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 08:23PM

Cactus12

The inside reminds me of a shopping mall... except there's no Sunglass Hut

thats more or less the running joke I've heard. We're convinced that all the ditzy girls who randomly show up around lunch time and look really confused are just trying to find a banana republic:-}

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:04PM

Chris '03
daredevilcu

UAH, November 2001.

And even then, only missed by 36 people.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:19AM

Thats amazing, some schools the last time they sold out was 2001.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:59AM

Chris '03
daredevilcu

UAH, November 2001.

I wonder how that ranks among current streaks. Of course, sellout only says something about the ratio of the supply of tickets to the demand - OSU could out-draw us by 10,000 people per night and still not get credit for a sellout.

I know MSU just had a ridiculously long sellout streak snapped within the last few years.

Date: February 09, 2006 03:52PM

Robb
Chris '03
daredevilcu

UAH, November 2001.

I wonder how that ranks among current streaks. Of course, sellout only says something about the ratio of the supply of tickets to the demand - OSU could out-draw us by 10,000 people per night and still not get credit for a sellout.

I know MSU just had a ridiculously long sellout streak snapped within the last few years.
If you're talking Michigan State, they've had a string of non-sellouts recently snapped:

[www.uscho.com] >>> Michigan State notched its first sellout since November 18, 2004 and provided a terrific atmosphere for hockey, including a 100-piece band and approximately 1000 students, not to mention a 50/50 raffle prize that tallied over $2100.

11/18/04 was the game just after the Cornell @ Michigan State series, also against Michigan. The story above was mostly about how MSU scored a clear goal this season against Michigan that everyone saw -- it apparently slipped through the netting and out the back -- that the CSTV cameras saw, but Yost has a replay cam directly atop the goal and it was inconclusive. It wound up as a 1-1 tie and had the goal counted, MSU would have likely won, increased its power rating, and Cornell would have benefitted also.

Maybe the 100-piece band helped fill the seats.

Date: February 10, 2006 08:52AM

I have asked The Community: [board.uscho.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.92.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 11:02AM

billhoward
Maybe the 100-piece band helped fill the seats.

I'm not sure the band had anything to do with the sellout, but they were damn impressive form what you could see on the CSTV broadcast. They did a lengthy show on the ice between periods complete with a percussion pit and color guard. The guard used flags from the 12 CCHA schools.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 12:46PM

I can't figure it out either and it's starting to worry me. Stairs? As hard as it may be to entice a top-ranked team to come to Ithaca, adding stairs to the deal proabably means RIT & Niagara might be as good as it gets.

If they can't figure out how to enclose the bowl, add top facilities for players, fans, and the media, and have the locker rooms on the same level as the ice...it's time to say good-bye to Lynah (I'll put myself in the box for 5 posts for saying that). :-(

I'm also surprised to read that there's room (height) to add 3 rows of seats behind the student section.

Interesting, it shall be...

Re: Does anybody else (nobody's seen the plans?)
Date: February 10, 2006 12:51PM

It would be too much to hope that Ithaca town hall is fully electronic and you could view the plans and filings online.

Now I'm really dying to see the architect renderings.

Lynah must be off the radar for Cornell faculty. Most building work on campus proper has the architecture school atwitter about something or other. Probably not when it comes to digging a hole next to a half-century-old quonset hut.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 02:35PM

The visitors locker room won't be south of the rink in any case, so stairs wont affect them whether I'm right or talking out of my ass. Visiting teams are going to take over the old locker rooms.

[q]If they can't figure out how to enclose the bowl, add top facilities for players, fans, and the media, and have the locker rooms on the same level as the ice...it's time to say good-bye to Lynah (I'll put myself in the box for 5 posts for saying that).[/q]So you'd rather have an anti-septic new rink than Lynah without enclosed seating? Geez. You're entitled to your opinion but I'd give you at least a game misconduct for that...

Date: February 10, 2006 02:44PM

DQ. He has to sit out the next thread.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.10.157.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 02:44PM

ithacat
I can't figure it out either and it's starting to worry me. Stairs?

The stairs in Yost haven't hurt Michigan...

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 02:56PM

Hmm, maybe they could design in something like that path from the changing house to the ice in "Mystery Alaska" ;-)

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 03:25PM

schoaff
Hmm, maybe they could design in something like that path from the changing house to the ice in "Mystery Alaska" ;-)

Anybody ever wonder how they got back up to that changing house? I don't think you can skate up hill.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 04:45PM

calgARI '07
Anybody ever wonder how they got back up to that changing house? I don't think you can skate up hill.

Sure ya can... within reason. Would take a lot of effort though.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 05:03PM

it can be a useful training exercise that some coaches I know have used. Not a lot of fun of course.

Date: February 10, 2006 06:11PM

calgARI '07
schoaff

Ever try to inline skate around Ithaca? You learn to skate uphill awfully fast. And I imagine ice skates can dig in well, if you've had them sharpened recently.

Doesn't the skating "treadmill" the CU team has have the ability to incline?

Date: April 01, 2006 09:49AM

nyc94
Anyone know how hard it would be to put another deck on the parking garage? If they can put a four story penthouse on a six story brownstone in Greenwich Village I think they can do anything.

I'm answering my own question two months later (unless this is an April Fool's joke). They are putting another level on the parking garage.

[www.news.cornell.edu]

Scroll down to the next to last paragraph.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 08:41PM

Well, if you are on campus, you can come into Baker lab and see the artist conception drawings (they are in one of the first floor hallways).

Think big glass box. The face of Baker that faces the plaza will be kept, but incased in a big glass atrium.

The conceptions are particularly amusing because they have blurred people in them (like they were taking a slow-shutter shot of fast moving people).

CK

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 02, 2006 12:55AM

Of note, there is a model of the design in the physical sciences library in Clark (When you go in, it's in the corner to the right). I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it doesn't hurt.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 01:06AM

canuck89
Of note, there is a model of the design in the physical sciences library in Clark (When you go in, it's in the corner to the right). I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it doesn't hurt.

So now Age is gonna have to take pictures of the models for us, huh? ;)

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 05:00PM

"Skating uphill" reminds me of a winter in Michigan where with a light snow on the ground 3 inches of so we had a january thaw and 2 inches of rain in 12 hrs or so and then a hard quick overnight freeze Canadian cold front - whole campus where we lived was 300 + acres of ice 2 - 6 inches thick even under the pines in many acres of woods.... we skated everywhere for two days even up hill to turn and run a slalom course back down through the woods.... Great memories must have been in the early 60's sometime... uphill was no problem with good hockey skates and decent conditioning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login