Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The RED-OUT crowd and "it's all your fault" cheer.

Posted by Oat 
The RED-OUT crowd and "it's all your fault" cheer.
Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 05:57AM

Thank you everyone who wore red to the game. You all have contributed to the amazing atmosphere of Lynah. The building was pretty loud and energetic and we crushed them in every way possible. Well done!

Well there're a few things that bothered me and I don't know if anyone else would share the same view.

I think that our scoring cheer "Sieve sieve sieve sieve sieve.... It's all your fault.. It's all your fault" was way too fast and messed up. I don't know why some people in section B have been trying to speed it up (several times already this year). If you've ever played competitive sports and been verbally abused by spectators, you would know that these chants are much more effective and personal if they are done together in complete unison, loud and SLOW. Slower is better. We have to take time and let the words seep into the goalie's head.

If we rush through "itsallyourfault-itsallyourfault-itsallyourfault," then it is nothing more than a boring predictable rink routine. It becomes nothing more than blurry dissonance. The sound will make no sense and the goalie won't be affected by it at all. Do you understand what I mean? Going too fast also makes the chant less personal and thus less effective. Our goal is to cause maximum disturbance to the goalie's emotional stability. We want to distract and throw him off his game.

I'm thinking 2 beats per second is a good approximation of how it used to be 2-3 years ago.

And actually the same goes for other cheers such as "red line -- idiot." Do them slow and you will really piss the hell out of those players. Slow and strong.

Re: The RED-OUT crowd and "it's all your fault" cheer.
Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:01AM

I totally agree with you. Slower for the cheers is better.

One thing though, "Red line -- idiot" is getting really old and dumb now. Way overused. Let's try to do those cheers when a player is truly an idiot (not everytime).

Posted by: mikee293 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:18AM

i agree that slower is definately better

but one thing that bothers me is the "it's all your fault" cheer after an Empty Netter. I know you could say that if the goalie has to come out in the first place, then that IS his fault.....but still, an empty net goal is still in fact a goal against....an empty net.

Oh well

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:20AM

mikee293
but one thing that bothers me is the "it's all your fault" cheer after an Empty Netter. I know you could say that if the goalie has to come out in the first place, then that IS his fault.....but still, an empty net goal is still in fact a goal against....an empty net.

Oh well

I dunno - I find that funny in the same way I find "Safety School" for Harvard funny. It's funny because it's NOT true...

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:20AM

mikee293

Oh well

I always pointed at the opposing coach during that one.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:34AM

Point at the goalie for "sieve, sieve, ..." (whether or not he was in goal, he's still a sieve) and point at the coach for "it's all your fault" as the goal in question was his fault moreso than the goalie.

MAE '08

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:20PM

mikee293

Yes, if the goalie wasn't such a sieve in the first place, he wouldnt have had to be pulled. Hence, its all his fault even more than usual ;)

Second, you can point at the coach if you think that's funnier.

The fact is, more than half the goals scored are *not* even mostly the goalie's fault, nevermind all his fault. Very very rarely is it entirely true. And on an empty netter, its just funny. Ya gotta lighten up :)

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:26PM

the other unfortunate thing about ideas or criticisms of cheers is that most people at the games who do them wrong dont read this board :(
slow is better, though.
i always pointed at the coach as well or at the empty net or the goalie...depending on my mood.

dont forget to count extra for goals like the one last night that wasnt counted :) that is always fun

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 02:19PM

The best, and most annoying, sieve cheer that I've heard was Wisconsin at the 1973 NCAA tourney at the old Boston Garden. They did a slow, slow sieve cheer, and everyone could keep up. The way we lost that game ground it into my mind forever.

So, yes slow and in unison is better. It's much like waving hands for a freethrow or a face-off, random activity does nothing, it's just a background. However, if you could all get together in unison, then you might distract the player.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 04, 2006 03:07PM

It's the kids these days, they need to rush through every cheer. At the basketball games here, when we're doing the "DE-FENSE <stomp> <stomp>", instead of doing it at the regular intended rhythm, they have to speed it up each time until it's just noise at the end. I blame the Playstation and iPods.

:-P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 03:17PM

Speaking of, has the LGR cheer always been speeded up the way it has been this year? For some reason I always remembered it being at one tempo when I've been at games before (This is the first year I have season tix).

-Alex Barash '07

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:44PM

Jim Hyla
The best, and most annoying, sieve cheer that I've heard was Wisconsin at the 1973 NCAA tourney at the old Boston Garden. They did a slow, slow sieve cheer, and everyone could keep up. The way we lost that game ground it into my mind forever.
I agree. That was haunting. I can still hear it.

Date: February 04, 2006 11:51PM

i suggest then that we try to get a really slow, sieve chant next game at dartmouth......i think its a really great idea. In the days leading up to the game we'll have to come back to this thread to remind everyone.

If we do decide to do it, it would be helpful if some people in B helped to get it going.....i'm in A and it doesn't seem like many people are that willing to start new cheers, they mostly only go with the flow and do the tried-and-true.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:52AM

As someone else in A (Hi Epstein, happy birthday!) I'll help you out with the slow sieve cheer. I think that would be great. Section B in?

Date: February 05, 2006 03:10AM

I'm in (Section B).

Date: February 05, 2006 03:22AM

Yea, LGR used to be a one-tempo cheer three years ago. Last year, section D, E, F, and G would speed it up until it was just noise. This year, section A and B have apparently learned to do the same.

Let's try it slower and in unison at the Dartmouth game.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:19PM

The effective "seive" that Jim and I remember from 1973 was not a jabbing but slow chant as a long, drawn out wail or moan. The single sylable was drawn out for perhaps five seconds, then repeated immediately.

Date: February 05, 2006 08:02PM

I've got 4 folks in the 2nd row of B that'll help it along :-)

MAE '08

Re: Drummer of the band can help.
Date: February 06, 2006 02:33AM

Thank you! I'm in section B row 9. I will do my best too. I think in the next few games, I will ask the drummer of the band to help regulate the beat through out the entire cheer (not just the initial counting of the goals we have scored).

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:40AM

Oat
Thank you! I'm in section B row 9. I will do my best too. I think in the next few games, I will ask the drummer of the band to help regulate the beat through out the entire cheer (not just the initial counting of the goals we have scored).

Not to burst your bubble, but its 3400 vs. 20. You aren't just going to magically change the way the cheer is done.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:45AM

Jacob '06
Oat

Not to burst your bubble, but its 3400 vs. 20. You aren't just going to magically change the way the cheer is done.

And, just as with the "Let's Go Red" chant that the dummer tries (and fails) to lead for more than two rounds, it will end up sounding even worse because the loud drumbeat will simply drive home how unsynchronized the rest of the crowd is.

Just Don't Bother.™ These things have a way of evolving by themselves.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 06, 2006 12:21PM

The only way the slow sieve chant will work is if it's done to taunt the opposing goalie during the 1st and 3rd periods, and not during an existing chant. I didn't think the sieve was going to be for when we score goals, because I agree, that will never work. The slower LGR will also only work temporarily and within sections A-B if it's started there.

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:38PM

A willing individual with a short message on a sign displayed down by the glass between sections A and B (usually at the start of the game is when it's done right?) to get the slow "sieve" cheer going could be very effective, provided people read it. It just takes on charismatic person and a sign at first.

Effective Sieve cheer: SLOWLY
sieve, sieve, etc.
It might get people to think about it at least and hey it might catch on.

But yes I agree completely with all the cheers, they get too fast too quickly, like everyone is trying to be one syllable ahead of the other guy.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:12PM

What I have in my head as a new take on the Sieve chant is slow, but not *as* slow as the Wisconsin chant others have described. I'm thinking kind of like the existing chant except with the word "sieve" drawn out a bit longer (about as long as "skate" in the remote control goalie), and said about once every 1 1/2 to 2 seconds, and kept up for an extended period of time (a minute or two, at least).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:05PM

More to the point, the goal counting is done at the same tempo as Davy and led by the drum, so the crowd continues that tempo for Sieve/IAYF as a natural extension. The day you successfully change the tempo of that cheer is roughly the same day Schafer comes out wearing a pink, ruffled tutu. Even if the band tries to change the tempo it might be too late to retrain the crowd, but they have a much better chance than a smattering of fans around the rink.

Whenever I started a "LGR" in section B, I always did it excruciatingly slow, so it would at least have a reasonable pace for a few seconds before it degraded. Maybe I'm asking too much from a bunch of white people, but even from E or F you can hear the band and A and B well enough to keep pace with them (and the cowbell too), but you have to pay attention to THEM and not the other rhythmically challenged people around you. But of course it's easier to glaze over and be a sheep.

If section C does go back to the students, I'd love to see the band there, if only to help with the unity problems the crowd has developed.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:10PM

Yum... glazed sheep.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:23PM

CowbellGuy
If section C does go back to the students, I'd love to see the band there, if only to help with the unity problems the crowd has developed.

Ooooo... I don't know: depends on the acoustics. Is behind/across the ice from the home/visitor bench the best/worst place for the band to be?

As a bandsman, I would miss the rail (ah, the secret goodness of the rail) and being nearer the opposing goalie.

NB: The Pep Band staff should be quite closely involved in how the band gets "seated" after the renovations.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:27PM

Perhaps it's just me, but I think sometimes the emotion behind a particular goal can (and should) speed up the ensuing cheers. For example, McCutcheon's game winner would result in a more excited crowd, and therefore a faster cheer. Sure, it's sometimes more effective when done slowly, but sometimes you can't (and shouldn't) worry about stuff like that after the rush of a clutch score.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:30PM

If they move the press box (which I think they're pretty much going to have to, in order to make room for more seats back there), perhaps you guys can take the top 2-3 rows of B & C, which would still put you near the west end, but wider, and therefore closer in theory to every student.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: February 06, 2006 04:30PM

I was under the impression that the new sieve cheer was for anytime during the game. You're not going to be able to change anything that's already been developed.

MAE '08

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:38PM

And if they take up the width of two sections, they'll have a hell of a time following a conductor.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:47PM

Ok, so take the west half of C and the east half of B. Either way, make it a compromise between end and center, because I can attest to the fact that D, E, and F need serious rhythm help.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:57PM

CowbellGuy
the same day Schafer comes out wearing a pink, ruffled tutu.

Does anyone know the date of the mythical Swan Lake performance?

:-}

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:57PM

jmh30
What I have in my head as a new take on the Sieve chant is slow, but not *as* slow as the Wisconsin chant others have described. I'm thinking kind of like the existing chant except with the word "sieve" drawn out a bit longer (about as long as "skate" in the remote control goalie), and said about once every 1 1/2 to 2 seconds, and kept up for an extended period of time (a minute or two, at least).
Actually, that's pretty close to Wis.. When you consider that what is now happenning is closer to less than a second, this is alot slower. However, as much as I'd like it, I agree it's going to be very hard to change. You really need to speak to as many people in each section as possible, a major undertaking. help

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 05:01PM

I was just waiting for someone to bring that up. Cheers.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 05:29PM

krose
Ok, so take the west half of C and the east half of B. Either way, make it a compromise between end and center, because I can attest to the fact that D, E, and F need serious rhythm help.
The band is going to need serious rhythm help if they're spread out that far. We phase sometimes as it is, and we're only 10 seats across.

scersk '97
Ooooo... I don't know: depends on the acoustics. Is behind/across the ice from the home/visitor bench the best/worst place for the band to be?

As a bandsman, I would miss the rail (ah, the secret goodness of the rail) and being nearer the opposing goalie.

NB: The Pep Band staff should be quite closely involved in how the band gets "seated" after the renovations.
I'd love that, but honestly... yeah, right. Like the administration that kicked us out of men's lacrosse because we took up too much space is going to give a flying fig where we think we belong in Lynah. We've also been playing "musical benches" in Newman, as the administration tries to find the best balance between not drowning out the Cornell coach, not drowning out the press bench, and honoring the memory of the Chad Potocky incident. Can't imagine the Lynah press box denizens will be thrilled to have us right up in their ears either.

Date: February 06, 2006 08:08PM

when talking about doing a slow sieve chant, i am referring to a seperate cheer unto itself. I think doing it after a goal would be way too hard....it would probably require printing somethign up and handing it out to everyone, and maybe a little practice too......just too much effort. I'm fine with our after-goal-chant. But I think the really slow "sieve" chant at some random point during the game (like any other cheer that someone might initiate) would be pretty effective.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.116.19.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 08:25PM

Section A Banshee
...honoring the memory of the Chad Potocky incident.

Please, they invented an Ivy League Rule after that... don't you remember? rolleyes

Stupid Armand is with the Celtics now I think.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:41PM

Liz '05
And if they take up the width of two sections, they'll have a hell of a time following a conductor.
HA! Follow the conductor! That's a good one. laugh

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:44PM

mikee293
when talking about doing a slow sieve chant, i am referring to a seperate cheer unto itself. I think doing it after a goal would be way too hard....it would probably require printing somethign up and handing it out to everyone, and maybe a little practice too......just too much effort. I'm fine with our after-goal-chant. But I think the really slow "sieve" chant at some random point during the game (like any other cheer that someone might initiate) would be pretty effective.
That's what I was thinking timing-wise as well.

Date: February 17, 2006 11:52AM

Just a reminder to everyone to try and get the slow sieve chant going at some point for this weekend against Dartmouth and Harvard.

Date: February 17, 2006 10:52PM

There was a small improvement (if any) in the game against Dartmouth tonight.

People tend to be really really excited when we play Hahvahd. So my guess is that, our cheers will be really really friggin fast and no one will be able to do anything about it screwy

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:09AM

Slow sieve would be nice. I ll try to give it a go over in G. I seem to recall that the wisconsin fans had a way of just making it hurt when they would score on DU. God i hate them and their bucky badger.

Did anyone notice that tonight we had on the ice for Dartmouth..drum roll please
Lovejoy
Offers
Johnson
Swallow

if we see them again in Albany i think some chant that really harnesses this gift would be great

-WillR

Posted by: Liz '05 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:32PM

WillR
Did anyone notice that tonight we had on the ice for Dartmouth..drum roll please
Lovejoy
Offers
Johnson
Swallow

if we see them again in Albany i think some chant that really harnesses this gift would be great

-WillR

I kinda liked the "[point to goalie] Sucks! [point to Swallow] Swallows!" that appeared at one point last night. Offers was also on the ice..."Offers! Sucks! Swallows!" or some combination of "Offers! Johnson! Sucks! Swallows! Lovejoy!" could be very entertaining :)

Date: February 18, 2006 12:37PM

Harvard's Roster: [www.uscho.com]

Something to note:
19 Johnson, Charlie, F, Sr

Another Johnson! Wooooo. If he gets a penalty, then we gotta chant "Where's your Johnson? Where's your Johnson?"

also anyone know how to pronounce the goalies last name? (Daigneau)

Posted by: mjc (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:44PM

Funny, I didn't think Sucks recruited goalies...they generally stick with sieves...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 12:58PM

I think Daigneau is pronounced Dane-yo. I could be very wrong, though.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:11PM

Dafatone
I think Daigneau is pronounced Dane-yo. I could be very wrong, though.
At Bright they pronounced it Day-now.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:59PM

It's Dane-you, according to a knowledgeable source :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login