Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ithaca Journal on Lynah Renovations

Posted by peterg 
Ithaca Journal on Lynah Renovations
Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:57AM

Today's IJ has an article on the City approval of the plans.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: Ithaca Journal on Lynah Renovations
Posted by: thominendicott (128.226.189.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 05:15PM

Are the plans on display for viewing?

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 05:37PM

thominendicott
Are the plans on display for viewing?

I'd like to see some as well -- the article has me wondering: If the expansion to the south of the building is to be one-story & at the concourse level, and is to include new locker rooms, is the team going to be going down stairs to get to the ice? It also doesn't say anything about enclosing the bowl.

This is a wonderful opportunity to make a great venue even better.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 05:44PM

If I read that right, they're going to add nearly 500 seats without doing anything to the open end (I guess because when they suggested digging into that parking lot, they got read the Riot Act). Huh. A one-story addition to the south end amounting to say 400 of those seats (not counting boxes on the north end) is, what, 5 rows x 80 seats across? That sounds a lot like: (1) fill the concourse behind the current student section with seating and its foundation, (2) build out to Campus Road, (3) carve tunnels from the new lobby into the student seating side. The outflow from the tunnels, assuming the floor of the lobby is at street level, will release into the aisles somewhere below the current concourse (since right now it's a walk up from the street to the concourse). The net effect is a loss of current seating (the tunnel entrances) offset by more "cheap seats" (although if they maintain the rake of the current seating, I'm sure they'll still be great seats). But I can't really visualize how somebody's going to get to, say, Section A, row 8. Side entries?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2006 05:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:26PM

Others on this forum seem to have a lot of the details which have been kicking around now for a while (several posts last spring, I think, mentioned that people had seen copies of plans).

The City Planning Board minutes for the December meeting are not yet on line, so there is no indication whether they post a copy of the plans.

From the description posted in the agenda for the December Planning Board meeting on the City web site, it seem that the plan that was being discussed in the spring may have undergone some siognificant changes. I recall that what was discussed earlier is construction of new men's and women's varsity locker rooms underground under the south stands or under what is now the ground level of the parking lot to the south of the rink, with a tunnel entrance onto the ice through Section C. The description posted does not seem to follow that, so it seems there have been substantial revisions.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 12:04AM

I'd be very surprised if the City posts a copy of the plans, but they should be available for review at City Hall. If they were going to put the plans on-line, it would have been before the meeting to allow public comment, but that's not typical procedure in communities I've paid attention to. There may be a little more information in the next Cornell Chronicle.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 09:13PM

the plans have changed quite a bit in the last year and a half, the new life sciences building has caused several issues. I have been told several conflicting stories about whats happening with the new seats, moving the player/penalty boxes and other things. the wording of the specs was a snake depending on what they got funded it triggered other things i havent seen the final approvals yet.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 10:48PM

Anyone in Ithaca with time to see what is available for viewing at City Hall and give us a report?

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:46PM

And also, how many of those seats are going to be for students?rolleyes

Posted by: jy3 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 02:20PM

another question...if the construction will be done "next winter" it will actually have to be before winter if we are to have these home games (see the other thread as well)

? 

Fri 11/10 Harvard
Sat 11/11 Dartmouth

?
Fri 12/1 RPI
Sat 12/2 Union

Fri 1/19 Yale
Sat 1/20 Brown
?
Fri 2/2 Clarkson
Sat 2/3 St. Lawrence

Fri 2/16 Quinnipiac
Sat 2/17 Princeton

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 02:36PM

jy3
another question...if the construction will be done "next winter" it will actually have to be before winter if we are to have these home games (see the other thread as well)

? 

Fri 11/10 Harvard
Sat 11/11 Dartmouth

?
Fri 12/1 RPI
Sat 12/2 Union

Fri 1/19 Yale
Sat 1/20 Brown
?
Fri 2/2 Clarkson
Sat 2/3 St. Lawrence

Fri 2/16 Quinnipiac
Sat 2/17 Princeton

Other than possibly moving the benches and a new tunnel for access to the ice, most of the renovations will not affect the ability to play on the rink.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 04:51PM

Jacob '06
Other than possibly moving the benches and a new tunnel for access to the ice, most of the renovations will not affect the ability to play on the rink.

Except possibly creating serious emergency exit problems (and fire code problems?) on the south side of the rink.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 02:35AM

Liz '05
Jacob '06

Except possibly creating serious emergency exit problems (and fire code problems?) on the south side of the rink.

Yeah, but that's where the students sit anyway :-P

If the administration/athletic department think nothing of having you near kill each other to get tickets, why would they care about it during a game? nut

Posted by: jy3 (---.16.232.66.cust.uslec.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:57PM

Liz '05
Jacob '06

that was my thought. nut

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 09:56PM

Especially after they have your money:-P

MAE '08

Lynah renovation update from The Sun
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 08:13AM

[www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.80.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:12AM

i wonder some of these facts are coming from.. I like how they slid the price increase in as a casual thing.. i am surprised that they didnt mention that the issues the Life sciences building have caused that have effected the lynah project to the point it has been greatly scaled back.. and when most of the teagle parking lot goes away where are those spaces going to?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:03PM

upperdeck
and when most of the teagle parking lot goes away where are those spaces going to?

Hoy Field, next to Bill Gates Hall?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:14PM

They just realized this? Seriously?

Well I suppose not just... but shouldn't think be taken into consideration from day 1? We have ~6 months to do this, or we need to break it up into < 6 month chunks. Who gets the project approved from the city and funded and all planned out and then says "now if we could only find a way to do it in the time we have".

rolleyes

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:23PM

Remember, we're talking about Andy Noel here.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:43PM

KeithK
Maybe Cornell All-Access will broadcast the games into the dorms and the Faithful can do their cheers and chants through microphones on their PCs. help

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:44PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
Maybe Cornell All-Access will broadcast the games into the dorms and the Faithful can do their cheers and chants through microphones on their PCs. help
The band is not above breaking through construction barricades.

Date: February 03, 2006 01:01PM

Beebe Lake is still there... :-)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:17PM

Trotsky
Beebe Lake is still there... :-)
And quite unfortunately liquid now, in early February.

Kyle

Date: February 03, 2006 01:21PM

Well, this would be for November. We'll schedule speed teams -- it will work to our advantage. "Cornell welcomes the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers."

Anyway, what the hell do we have a Materials Science department for? Off your asses and design us some artificial ice!

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:45PM

Well, "outdoor" games are all the rage now. What about at Schollkopf? (I know it is spelled wrong, can I nominate it for addition to the spelling guide?). Then the Michigans and Minnesotas can't complain about the small size of the arena and gate revenue. :-D

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:46PM

Trotsky
Anyway, what the hell do we have a Materials Science department for? Off your asses and design us some artificial ice!
It already exists:

[www.promoconcepts.co.uk]

Kyle

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:54PM

I can't wrap my mind around this stuff. I keep meaning to go down to a local place that has it installed but never have gotten around to it. It would be a perfect surface to use and invite a speed to team. It's definitely slower and would help us beat the Gophers down.

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 03:01PM

The stuff is okay for training but I can't see a D1 college team agreeing to play a regulation game on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login