Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"The Twin Towers"

Posted by calgARI '07 
"The Twin Towers"
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 08:51PM

This week's column, "The Twin Towers" about O'Byrne and Pokuluk is up. Hopefully the former will be playing this weekend.

[www.elynah.com]

Re: "The Twin Towers"
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 09:10PM

Your predicition is a four point weekend?

>>> Upcoming Weekend Outlook
The most anticipated weekend of last season again turns out that way this season. It does not get any better than this with the top two teams in the conference battling it out - two teams that mirror each other in stingy defensive play and superb coaching. First place will be on the line but things are tighter at the top as a result of Cornell tying Yale. It is important not to forget that both of these teams still have to play St. Lawrence again and that will have a huge impact on the final standings. As great as it would be to take over first place, it will be more important for the Big Red to get some quality wins under their belts as they approach the playoffs. Colgate is a high quality team that appears to be extremely close to Cornell in almost every area. The games will be hotly contested, but this will be the turning-point in Cornell's season. They have played a lot better the last couple weeks, but the time has come to shift into the highest gear for the stretch drive. Last year, the three-point weekend against the Red Raiders proved to be the ultimate sling shot for the Big Red.

Colgate 1 - Cornell 2
Cornell 2 - Colgate 1

Date: February 02, 2006 09:14PM

Yeah, but only if O'Byrne plays...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 09:14PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 09:20PM

Cornell has been playing to the level of the competition to some degree all season. There is no reason why this weekend vs. a skilled Colgate team shouldn't be Cornell's best yet.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2006 09:20PM

calgARI '07
Yeah, but only if O'Byrne plays...

I think they get three points if he doesn't.

Date: February 02, 2006 10:14PM

My specific predictions:

Crowd will be the best it has been all season tomorrow night and it will really push Cornell. They'll go up 2-0 in the first period and Colgate will get one in the second period. Cornell will hang on for the 2-1 win.
On Saturday, the drunk Colgate crowd will be going nuts and the team will come out much harder. They'll carry that and take a 1-0 lead in the first period. Cornell will tie it late in the second period and get a late third period goal and win again on Saturday.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:53PM

"A year ago, the National Hockey League seemed a galaxy away for O'Byrne. Now, all of a sudden, it is very realistic. The hope for Cornell fans is that he stays around for his final year before undoubtedly signing with the Montreal Canadiens."

I would be surprised if O'Byrne is back with Cornell next season. The Montreal Canadiens blue-line prospect depth is extremely weak, especially after Ron Hainsey was picked up from waivers by the Columbus Blue Jackets earlier this year.

The Canadiens really only have four d-man prospects in the system now:

1. O'Byrne
2. Oskari Korpikari - may be a bust
3. Konstantin Korneev - development is stagnant
4. Alexei Emelin - real deal. awesome world juniors.

Date: February 02, 2006 11:08PM

2tkCornell
"A year ago, the National Hockey League seemed a galaxy away for O'Byrne. Now, all of a sudden, it is very realistic. The hope for Cornell fans is that he stays around for his final year before undoubtedly signing with the Montreal Canadiens."

I would be surprised if O'Byrne is back with Cornell next season. The Montreal Canadiens blue-line prospect depth is extremely weak, especially after Ron Hainsey was picked up from waivers by the Columbus Blue Jackets earlier this year.

The Canadiens really only have four d-man prospects in the system now:

1. O'Byrne
2. Oskari Korpikari - may be a bust
3. Konstantin Korneev - development is stagnant
4. Alexei Emelin - real deal. awesome world juniors.

Well Komisarek may be up in Montreal but he is young enough to count him as a prospect still.

Posted by: Plato (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:52PM

Sorry to be picky, Ari, but making analogies to "the Twin Towers" after 9/11 is kinda politically incorrect. For the same reason David Robinson and Tim Duncan were not referred to as the Twin Towers, you should try to refrain from calling our D-men the twin towers. I had a relative pass away in the North Tower, and to see only brings back more bad memories from that day. Just asking for a little courtesy.

John

Date: February 02, 2006 11:53PM

To be honest with you, I never even thought about it when making that as the headline. Certainly, I certainly had no intention of offending anybody. The twin towers existed and they were really tall. O'Byrne and Pokuluk are also very tall.

Posted by: Plato (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:56PM

No offense taken. Just wanted to mention it. Don't feel bad about it.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:02AM

this weekend is all about goaltending. cornell and toothpaste are equaly matched except in that regard. if dave mckee plays as he has in the past (to his max potential), sweep cornell. anything less than pefection and sweep/2 point weekend for 'gate. of course mckee has not had a good record against colgate in his career... 1-2-1 if i am correct. help

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:15AM

I'm going to try to put this in a way that won't turn this into a whole other, umm, thing. 9/11 affected me as much as most, though clearly not as much as someone who lost a loved one or friend. I'm not trying to belittle it in any way, shape, or form, but are you suggesting the appropriate response is to never reference them again in any way? It seems a bit much to me.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 12:56AM

I would agree with you... somewhat. To not reference them again would be just plain stupid. However, I do think that they should be mentioned in an appropriate context. To compare the towers to two Cornell defensemen just seemed a little... weird (that's probably the best word). I'm not against it, though, it just seemed to rub me the wrong way.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 06:55AM

Please. The twin towers, in sportsland, are those two Houston Rockets (Olajawon and Sampson). Until Ari writes, "The Harvard forward picked up the puck and jetted into Pokulok, whose explosive check could be heard from Manhattan to Riyahd," please do us a favor and don't go there.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:23AM

calgARI '07
My specific predictions:

Crowd will be the best it has been all season tomorrow night and it will really push Cornell. They'll go up 2-0 in the first period and Colgate will get one in the second period. Cornell will hang on for the 2-1 win.
On Saturday, the drunk Colgate crowd will be going nuts and the team will come out much harder. They'll carry that and take a 1-0 lead in the first period. Cornell will tie it late in the second period and get a late third period goal and win again on Saturday.

Could you tell us the time of the goals and who will score them as well?

Posted by: Karlmoose (207.10.126.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:26PM

Yes, and could you also tell us the time at which the first fan fight will occur? And will that be before or after the first Colgate fan pukes from alcohol consumption?
Man, I can't wait for these games...

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:39PM

oooooook
let's drop this before someone gets really, really offended/upset/pissed off...
please.
worry

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:49PM

Man, it was so insensitive of that Peter Jackson guy to make a movie titled "The Two Towers". How inappropriate!

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 03:28PM

Solution- They will be changed from "twin" to "Petronas" towers and Ari will be forced to attend sensitivity meetings... hahaha

cmon people... you can't honestly find this so offensive

Posted by: ugarte (70.19.10.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 04:37PM

Please, please, please do not turn this into a thread where (a) people get self-righteous about saying what they please and (b) people get self-righteous about having their sensitivities respected. It is clear that feelings on this, particularly with respect to 9/11 cover the whole spectrum.

For the record, I prefer to do my offending on purpose and hope that we destroy Colgate like a Bamiyan Buddha this weekend.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 08:34PM

Since it has already been said, I can't be blamed...

Looks like Ari is doing well through 2 periods! banana

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 08:41PM

On a different note, I have to point out this quote:[q]It is getting painful as a Cornell fan to see Cornell overrated every week.[/q]It is? I don't find it painful at all. I'll take all the positive publicity the program can get, deserved or not.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:18PM

Do the woofing gods apply to column titles? O'Byrne down, now Pokoluk.

The copy desk should have changed it to "Twin Pillars"

Date: February 03, 2006 09:20PM

atb9

By the way, Ari was way off. 4-1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 09:25PM by atb9.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:03PM

atb9
atb9

By the way, Ari was way off. 4-1.

I think I was pretty close actually. I said 2-1 and it was 3-1 with an empty netter. Was also right about Cornell going up 2-0.

Date: February 04, 2006 10:36AM

And the headline on USCHO is RedHawk Down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login