Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Time For Some New Lines

Posted by calgARI '07 
Time For Some New Lines
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:40PM

It doesn't really matter that much because Schafer doesn't seem remotely inclined to try anything new with his combinations but he's gotta realize that the team's five-on-five offense is not even close to adequate. The third line was the only line generating anything consistently this weekend and he moved Sawada off it in the third period for Carefoot and they didn't generate as much. Moulson has one even strength goal, enough said. The banger on the right side (Carefoot, Sawada) is not working. And I've pretty much accepted the fact that the Abbotts won't be playing together. But PLEASE abandon the Abbott-Pegoraro combination that has done absolutely nothing. To me, both Barlow and Kennedy are capable of a lot more offensively than they are being given an opportunity to do on a regularly basis.

Mugford-Abbott-Sawada
Abbott-Kennedy-McCutcheon
Moulson-Bitz-Scott
Barlow-Pegoraro-Carefoot

Re: Time For Some New Lines
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:51PM

I guess we're all in agreement that Mugford - Chris Abbott - Sawada works pretty well on most nights and that Cam Abbott - Pegoraro doesn't.

Posted by: Trustnduzt (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:52PM

I do not like the current

Kennedy-Scott-Barlow

line at all. Give Topher a proven scorer, like a Bitz or even one of the Abbotts, instead of two freshmen.

Posted by: MIke K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:57PM

I know this won't happen but i think it should. It's worked the times they have played together.

Abbott-Abbott-Sawada
Moulson-Bitz-Scott
Barlow-Kennedy-Mugford
McCutcheon-Pegs-Carefoot

PP 1:

Bitz-Moulson-McCutcheon
O.B-Sasha

PP 2:

Abbot-Scott-Sawada
Krantz-Seminoff

I would love to see what mark could do with that first unit. He has alot of talent.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:11PM

calgARI '07
Mugford-Abbott-Sawada
Abbott-Kennedy-McCutcheon
Moulson-Bitz-Scott
Barlow-Pegoraro-Carefoot

I definitely like those lines. Here's another alternative I like...

Mugford-Abbott-Sawada
Moulson-Pegoraro-Bitz
Abbott-Scott-McCutcheon
Barlow-Kennedy-Carefoot
(I'd have no problem switching Scott and Kennedy)

I like Pegoraro on the top line. He's our best face-off man, he's fast and he's creative. Maybe his increased defensive responsibilities this year have stiffled his offensive output. I think the reason we don't see him on the top line is partly because of Schafer's understandable preference to have him take defensive zone face-offs. Maybe it won't work, but I'd love to see it even for a period.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:39PM

Trustnduzt
I do not like the current

Kennedy-Scott-Barlow

line at all. Give Topher a proven scorer, like a Bitz or even one of the Abbotts, instead of two freshmen.
I've noticed, at times, Schafer will put a young group together and then keep that group stable for a few years, so that by the time they're all upperclassmen, they've got chemistry that's been built up over a period of time to go with the improved skills that come with age. (The '02-03 top power play grouping of Bâby-Vesce-Paolini-Murray-McRae, for instance, played together for three full years, starting when Vesce was a freshman and the other four guys were sophomores, and we all saw how effective they were after having matured together.) I'm obviously not in Schafer's head, but that could be what he's doing with this group. Or, on the other hand, maybe he just likes the way they look together. *shrug*

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:39PM

I actually really like the sound of Topher with Cam and McCutcheon. Topher controls the puck in traffic so well I think he would be able to create enough space to give Cam and McCutcheon some good scoring chances.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:01PM

Mugford-Abbott-Sawada need to stay together, in my opinion. As far as I can tell, they simply don't give up goals. And they've some offensive power as well.

I like the sound of Moulson-Pegs-Bitz. Moulson needs a good passer/creater to set him up, and those tried so far haven't worked. Other than that... I like kennedy and barlow together. Kindret's been good with them as well, but I don't know if anyone is worth sitting to put him in.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 06:22PM

Is there a hockey stat for the scoring value of a faceoff won? In football, say, a fumble lost is equated to being worth about ~ 2 points.

All other things being equal, you don't want two really good faceoff men on the same line.

But all other things not being equal, maybe you want a line that really can buy you a goal in the last five minutes. We seem to have four lines really good at preventing a goal against us in the last five minutes, but that ain't gonna help much in a 2-2 game, let alone being behind 3-2.

OTOH, it'd be great to ride in the ECACs as the top seed and even better to go into the NCAAs as one of the top four seeds, or at least not as a No. 4 regional seed to be sent wherever the NCAA figures it can most easily stick it to Cornell. What matters most is that the team is clicking around March 1.

Date: January 29, 2006 06:54PM

billhoward
All other things being equal, you don't want two really good faceoff men on the same line.

I agree. But, I don't think this team has a really good faceoff man outside of Pegoraro. Chris Abbott is probably second best. Consequently, I don't think you'll ever seen a line with Pegoraro and Chris Abbott.

[Q]
But all other things not being equal, maybe you want a line that really can buy you a goal in the last five minutes. We seem to have four lines really good at preventing a goal against us in the last five minutes, but that ain't gonna help much in a 2-2 game, let alone being behind 3-2.
[/q]

This is an interesting idea. If I had to send out a "score a goal in the waning minutes of the 3rd period" line it would be Abbott-Abbott-Moulson. I'd let Chris and Cam go nuts with Moulson lurking around. If the defense concentrated on Moulson I think the brothers could take advantage. Also, I like the idea of Chris and Cam leading a rush with Moulson trailing looking for rebounds.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 11:27AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 07:36PM

redhair34
If I had to send out a "score a goal in the waning minutes of the 3rd period" line it would be Abbott-Abbott-Moulson. I'd let Chris and Cam go nuts with Moulson lurking around. If the defense concentrated on Moulson I think the brothers could take advantage. Also, I like the idea of Chris and Cam leading a rush with Moulson trailing looking for rebounds.

Or why not Abbott-Abbott-McCutcheon? McCutcheon, after all, is a more natural RW and has similar lurking powers to Moulson.

I think there's an eight-hundred pound gorilla sitting in the background of these hypothetical line combos: fatigue.

McCutcheon, for example, isn't going to make his way onto a regular power play unit anytime soon because of his penalty killing duties. McCutcheon and Carefoot with Pegoraro doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want Pegoraro sitting waiting for the other two to rest up from the penalty kill.

So, when you're coming up with lines, you have to think about spreading out the duties between even strength, power play, *and* penalty kill. Oh, and then take into account players' natural positions and balancing strength and speed. And then try to keep together individual matchups.

Not an easy job.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 11:33AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 08:42PM

my best shot at lines would be...

Abbott-Abbott-Sawada
Moulson-Pegoraro-Carefoot
Bitz-Scott-McCutcheon
Barlow-Kennedy-Kindret

only problem is I don't have a spot for Mugford, and I think he is deffinatly a neccessary part of the lineup... I really like the freshman line of B-K-K though...

this is why Schafer is the coach and I am a fan...

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.19.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:00PM

Dpperk29
Barlow-Kennedy-Kindret

I really like the freshman line of B-K-K though...

I agree. I'd love to see Kindret get more ice time.

Date: January 29, 2006 09:27PM

Scersk '97
Or why not Abbott-Abbott-McCutcheon? McCutcheon, after all, is a more natural RW and has similar lurking powers to Moulson. [/Q]

I have no problem with that (it actually crossed my mind). I chose Moulson over McCutcheon because Moulson commands more attention from the opposition and because Moulson is Moulson--the best goal scorer Cornell has had in years. Also, if Moulson's role is "lurking" and looking for rebounds, I don't think its much of a negative that he'd be forced to play RW.

[Q]
I think there's an eight-hundred pound gorilla sitting in the background of these hypothetical line combos: fatigue.[/Q]

I agree.

[Q]
McCutcheon, for example, isn't going to make his way onto a regular power play unit anytime soon because of his penalty killing duties.[/Q]

McCutcheon is actually a regular on the second powerplay unit. He also, as you said, spends a fair amount of time killing penalties. Any fatigue factor this has, hypothetically speaking (I'm not suggesting his duties would make him more fatigued relative to the other players), would work against placing him on the desperation offense line.

[Q]
McCutcheon and Carefoot with Pegoraro doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want Pegoraro sitting waiting for the other two to rest up from the penalty kill.[/Q]

I'm confused here. Was this line just a hypothetical? Also, seeing how Pegs is on the ice for as much if not more PK time than any other forward wouldn't he have to rest along with the other two?

Late game fatigue on this team is going to have a lot less to do with special teams duties than basic endurance if for no other reason but for the fact that everyone is involved with special teams--there isn't a player on the team that doesn't see time on a power play unit and or kill penalties.

[Q]
Not an easy job.

No it isn't. Thank you coach Schafer for doing it :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 09:31PM by redhair34.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:27PM

Dafatone
I like kennedy and barlow together. Kindret's been good with them as well, but I don't know if anyone is worth sitting to put him in.

It might be nice to platoon him with someone to give that line a chance to play together, as an investment for the future.

Posted by: Trustnduzt (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 10:04PM

Howbout the defensemen? Do you like the pairings they have now? Personally, I love the O'Byrne Pokulok PP1 line, but I would really like to see more complimentary pairings, mainly Seminoff - Pokulok, O'Byrne - Gleed, and Krantz - Glover.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 10:44PM

[Q]McCutcheon is actually a regular on the second powerplay unit.
[/Q]I have to admit that I hadn't noticed him out there regularly.
[Q]Any fatigue factor this has, hypothetically speaking (I'm not suggesting his duties would make him more fatigued relative to the other players), would work against placing him on the desperation offense line.
[/Q]True dat.
[Q]"McCutcheon and Carefoot with Pegoraro doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want Pegoraro sitting waiting for the other two to rest up from the penalty kill."

I'm confused here. Was this line just a hypothetical? Also, seeing how Pegs is on the ice for as much if not more PK time than any other forward wouldn't he have to rest along with the other two?
[/Q]Mike K mentioned it further up. And, also, true: I guess it depends on which unit is getting more of a workout that particular game, kill or power play.
[Q]Late game fatigue on this team is going to have a lot less to do with special teams duties than basic endurance if for no other reason but for the fact that everyone is involved with special teams--there isn't a player on the team that doesn't see time on a power play unit and or kill penalties.
[/Q]Once again, I hadn't noticed, but I guess you're right. One of the great advantages of the Schafer "total hockey" type system: players on all four lines that are useful on special teams as well.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:33PM

I'd love to see Pokulok with the first PP unit instead of Bitz. I think that he, O'Byrne and Moulson would all command so much attention that teams would be less able to key on Moulson as the have this season and hopefully open him up for a couple of those beautiful mid-circle wristers we got used to last year. That said, while he may handle the puck too much, without Sasha on the second PP, I don't know what they would do. They've hardly held the puck as it is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login