Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Out of Conference games

Posted by TCHL8842 
Out of Conference games
Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:29AM

I think we should schedule better OOC teams since it seems to kill us every year. We would of had a better draw last year if we schedule better OOCs and this year it seems we are a bubble team because of OOC. It should not be hard to schedule at least one HE and one CCHA or WCHA opponent each year besides Florida but we never seem to do it. This disappoints me because this kills our PWR ranking and I think does not prepare ourselves for the NCAA tourney. If Schafer wants to win a NCAA title we need these tough OOC to get us better prepared for the tourney. I am sorry I am so negative and late on this topic, but we really do need some better OOC competition.

Re: Out of Conference games
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:38AM

Wow, what a novel idea.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:22AM

TCHL8842
It should not be hard to schedule at least one HE and one CCHA or WCHA opponent each year besides Florida but we never seem to do it.
And... I don't know... wouldn't the fact that we never seem to do it suggest that it might be harder than you seem to believe?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 08:36AM

TCHL8842, people are a might snarky because this is a perennial thread topic, though how a new poster is supposed to know that...

Here is the latest iteration: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:03AM

TCHL8842
We would of had a better draw

would HAVE

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but it's time to start writing like we have Ivy League educations.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:06AM

jmh30
TCHL8842
It should not be hard to schedule at least one HE and one CCHA or WCHA opponent each year besides Florida but we never seem to do it.
And... I don't know... wouldn't the fact that we never seem to do it suggest that it might be harder than you seem to believe?

Not to mention that we wouldn't automatically have the same non-conference record if we played a tougher schedule. Our 4-1-1 non-conference record (RIT doesn't count) is a lot of the reason why we're so far ahead of Colgate in the PWR.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:58AM

jtwcornell91
Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but it's time to start writing like we have Ivy League educations.

Even on this board, John, you're going to be a very busy man. Is it really worth your time and the thread clutter?

Beeeej

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:36PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91

Even on this board, John, you're going to be a very busy man. Is it really worth your time and the thread clutter?

Beeeej
Beeeej, I have to assume you were not joking, so my answer to your question is, absolutely. I think it's poor manners, and disrespectful of your readers, to not try and use proper language. To me that also includes using caps when appropriate, etc..

Writing correctly makes reading easier. As an example wouldn't your first sentence be easier to read ,if it were broken into two parts? The first could end with a question mark "Even on this board?", then followed by a second sentence "John, you're going to be a very busy man.".;)

Yes, I'm sure I've made mistakes, maybe even on this post. I actually appreciate someone nicely correcting me. After all, if there is one thing I learned in med school, it's that learning is a lifelong process.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:11PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

Beeeej
Beeeej, I have to assume you were not joking, so my answer to your question is, absolutely. I think it's poor manners, and disrespectful of your readers, to not try and use proper language. To me that also includes using caps when appropriate, etc..

Writing correctly makes reading easier. As an example wouldn't your first sentence be easier to read ,if it were broken into two parts? The first could end with a question mark "Even on this board?", then followed by a second sentence "John, you're going to be a very busy man.".;)

Yes, I'm sure I've made mistakes, maybe even on this post. I actually appreciate someone nicely correcting me. After all, if there is one thing I learned in med school, it's that learning is a lifelong process.
I'm a stickler for proper grammar in all things, particularly if Cornell fans are going to keep insisting on chanting "safety school." However, whenever I see grammar corrections on a web forum, I feel like it looks petty and gets in the way of content I'd actually like to read.

Re: Grammar
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.117.33.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:27PM

Jim Hyla

Amen.

It's no argument to say, "this is only a message board. it doens't matter." When I see posts littered with "2nite" and "u know where there rink is tho" or the like I can't help but think less of the author. It's lazy writing. If you can't be bothered to spell out "tonight" or "you" why should I take the time to decipher your message?

Further, the average level of writing in the "real world" is so poor that current students would be wise to treat writing seriously as a way to distinguish themselves in the working world.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:45PM

Jim Hyla

Jim, you incorrectly added a second period at the end of the above sentence.

Date: January 29, 2006 03:38PM

Jim Hyla

"Even on this board?" isn't a sentence.

Beeeej

Date: January 29, 2006 03:41PM

Chris '03
It's no argument to say, "this is only a message board. it doens't matter." When I see posts littered with "2nite" and "u know where there rink is tho" or the like{} I can't help but think less of the author. It's lazy writing. If you can't be bothered to spell out "tonight" or "you{}" why should I take the time to decipher your message?

I hope you'll pardon me for chuckling.

Beeeej

Date: January 29, 2006 03:44PM

Section A Banshee
I'm a stickler for proper grammar in all things, particularly if Cornell fans are going to keep insisting on chanting "safety school." However, whenever I see grammar corrections on a web forum, I feel like it looks petty and gets in the way of content I'd actually like to read.

Amen. I suspect the average "grammar or spelling correction" post drives away twice as many people as your average "death of a middle-aged actor" post.

Beeeej

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:56PM

Beeeej
Chris '03
It's no argument to say, "this is only a message board. it doens't matter." When I see posts littered with "2nite" and "u know where there rink is tho" or the like{} I can't help but think less of the author. It's lazy writing. If you can't be bothered to spell out "tonight" or "you{}" why should I take the time to decipher your message?

I hope you'll pardon me for chuckling.

Beeeej

The parts in quotes are examples of bad writing, so I assume the mistakes there are intentional. I don't know "the rule" for commas, but those sentences can be read just as well without commas. In fact, don't many bad writers rely too heavily on commas?

<this is where someone says "drop the puck" and we all chuckle and go to back to friendly hockey talk>

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:05PM

Jim, you probably have a good view of my sign every night from across the ice. Do let me know when I print out something that's flawed. Rather, do you have any suggestions?

Date: January 29, 2006 04:08PM

Ack
Jim, you probably have a good view of my sign every night from across the ice. Do let me know when I print out something that's flawed. Rather, do you have any suggestions?
I don't know what you mean? help

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 10:28PM

I'm guessing there are a few Strunk & White fans on this board. banana

I don't know how many of you readers are among the working class, but it's a pretty ugly grammatical world out there. If you take offense at what you see on this board, it's going to be hard to interact with the masses.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:13AM

Is it odd that I find this argument far more entertaining and enjoyable to read than the same repetative and simultaneous arguments with RichS in 8 threads at once? Honestly, keep up the good work. ::sits back and enjoys the show::

Brian Crespi '06

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:24AM

RatushnyFan
I'm guessing there are a few Strunk & White fans on this board. banana

I don't know how many of you readers are among the working class, but it's a pretty ugly grammatical world out there. If you take offense at what you see on this board, it's going to be hard to interact with the masses.

I'm a big fan. Grammatical (and sometimes spelling) mistakes distract me from the content of whatever I'm reading, to the point where I can't critique the content. I've had to copy something grammatically hideous so I can play English teacher, get all my grammar nazi tendencies out of the way, toss it, then figure out all the underlying problems with the essay/report/whatever.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:00AM

Yeah, but who's such a fan of S&W that they have a favorite edition? Personally, I like the earlier editions. The later editions have become so fat that they violate the rules of brevity they propound.

Also: everyone involved in the production of that "illustrated elements of style" coffee table book, which is the darling of the New York Review of Books and the NPR social x-rays, should be set adrift on an ice flow.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 09:01AM by Trotsky.

Re: Grammer Solution
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.254.51.209.conversent.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:27AM

My own fair-minded and temperate take on the grammer and spelling transgressions is as follows:

In general, if the writer has made an obvious good faith attempt to communicate his ideas clearly and literately then I let him skate on a few oversights or mistakes, however...if he disagrees with me or is the fan of a team ahead of Cornell in the PWR then no scrutiny is too strict nor criticism too strong.

Makes sense, no?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:30AM

Liz '05
Grammatical (and sometimes spelling) mistakes distract me from the content of whatever I'm reading, to the point where I can't critique the content.
They make drugs like Luvox specifically to address this kind of problem. :)

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:54AM

Trotsky
Also: everyone involved in the production of that "illustrated elements of style" coffee table book, which is the darling of the New York Review of Books and the NPR social x-rays, should be set adrift on an ice flow.

That's "ice floe," and you use the passive voice too much.

Happy to help,

Beeeej

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:47AM

[q]If you take offense at what you see on this board, it's going to be hard to interact with the masses.[/q]The world is full of stupid people and I take great joy in laughing at their stupidity.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 05:09PM by KeithK.

Date: January 30, 2006 11:48AM

krose
Liz '05
Grammatical (and sometimes spelling) mistakes distract me from the content of whatever I'm reading, to the point where I can't critique the content.
They make drugs like Luvox specifically to address this kind of problem. :)

Kyle

I just had to google Luvox to figure out what you meant :)

Date: January 30, 2006 11:57AM

Beeeej
That's "ice floe"
According to the plate tectonics article I googled to make sure, either is correct.

The passive voice is correctly used when "the stinger's in tail," i.e., when an overly elaborate sentence structure conceals, until the final moment, a vicious thurst into the throat of an officious prick like you. Hypothetically.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:08PM

And yes, I would also like to agree with that sentiment. Very petty indeed.

Perspective
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:22PM

Bad grammar and spelling drive me batty, but I try not to police it too much. Let me put it into perspective. There's this guy in my online racing league who, before reading his forum posts, I thought of a competent driver and reasonable chap. Now, I have a hard time accepting him for anything but a dolt. He's probably a perfectly nice and reasonable guy, but his typing habits have permanently sullied my impression of him to the point where I don't even like racing him. Now, before you label me an uber-snob (or re-label me as such), I need to provide you with a sample. All of his posts are like this. ALL of them.

[q]so imagine this u gotta ask yourself is it better to not have the possibilty at all for a caution and u were one of the guys that just got caught in big pile up that under all other circumstances irl whud have deserved a caution. but ingame u wont get that chance .

other hand your in this big pile up and a real caution isnt thrown but a few mins later one of our .realistic not so realistic yellows are thrown?

dunno i understand your thoughts tho and sorta agree. were all gonna feel a little differnt about this probley.[/q]

So really, if we could just get jy3 to write out his words, we'd be doing pretty well here.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.10.118.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:24PM

Beeeej

Amen. I suspect the average "grammar or spelling correction" post drives away twice as many people as your average "death of a middle-aged actor" post.

Beeeej

I hope you'll pardon me for chuckling. rolleyes

Re: Perspective
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:31PM

CowbellGuy
So really, if we could just get jy3 to write out his words, we'd be doing pretty well here.
I've always excused him by thinking he's practicing writing prescriptions.

Date: January 30, 2006 12:45PM

Trotsky
[The passive voice is correctly used when "the stinger's in tail," i.e., when an overly elaborate sentence structure conceals, until the final moment, a vicious thurst into the throat of an officious prick like you. Hypothetically.

And this is an example of the kind of charming dialogue we can expect if people get into the habit of correcting spelling and grammar on every post. The rules aren't exact, so we'll end up debating them and taking things personally. I vote we stick to hockey; if you can't resist correcting the most egregious offenders, John (and others), there is always the "Reply via PM" option.

On behalf of Greg and myself, thank you for attending this morning's performance. We also do bar mitzvahs.

Beeeej

Date: January 30, 2006 12:49PM

Tip your waitress.

Date: January 30, 2006 12:50PM

Liz '05
I'm a big fan. Grammatical (and sometimes spelling) mistakes distract me from the content of whatever I'm reading, to the point where I can't critique the content. I've had to copy something grammatically hideous so I can play English teacher, get all my grammar nazi tendencies out of the way, toss it, then figure out all the underlying problems with the essay/report/whatever.
I believe that Nazi is a proper noun. Proper nouns should be capitalized in English. Is "grammar nazi" for some reason a common noun?

KeithK
The world is full of stupid people and Itake great joy in laughing at their stupidity.
I prefer making lots of money and I find it helpful to avoid offending (i) the people I'm trying to get leverage from or (ii) clients that are paying me directly.

I'm sure I have a mistake in my post but you certainly have one. I assume you're trying to be funny.

KeithK
Actually, I'm just a frustrated virgin.
Everything will be fine, Keith. Just give it time.

Date: January 30, 2006 01:05PM

RatushnyFan
Liz '05
I believe that Nazi is a proper noun. Proper nouns should be capitalized in English. Is "grammar nazi" for some reason a common noun?

I'd argue that with the addition of the modifier "grammar," the word "Nazi" loses its proper noun quality because it no longer refers to the German political party or those that ascribe to its beliefs. Therefore, with "grammar nazi" "nazi" should not be capitalized.

I thought about arguing further, but I'd rather just watch the rest of Miracle and bake cookies. I'm out of this thread. :)

Date: January 30, 2006 01:37PM

Damn, that's harsh! Especially since I wasn't even calling you stupid, just the masses you think some of us will have trouble interacting with.

Date: January 30, 2006 02:55PM

Just f'ing with you. I don't really mean it.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:58PM

As far as policing grammar goes....

I could care less.:)

(That's one of my many current pet peeves exceeded only by "nucular";)

Date: January 30, 2006 05:05PM

Exactly. I could care less about Cornell hockey. I really could care much, much less about Cornell hockey. That's why I waste lots of time reading this silly board from work. ;-)

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 08:00AM

CowbellGuy

help
eye wuz waitin 4 tha refrense to cums out an slaps me in tha fase.
twak
Now that the sense was knocked into me I can type better. We all know good grammar and completed spellings on this board equate to success, money, sex, and more friends in the real world. rolleyes
We also know that poor spelling and poor grammar here guarantees the same use outside of this board. rolleyes
back to your usual programming

as for OOC games, we have discussed it many times. a big problem is that not all times will accept a home and home trade. For example, try getting michigan to play a game at lynah. He would rather you play in his big building. Eastern facilities have smaller rinks -> fewer seats -> less revenue...

Date: January 31, 2006 04:52PM

jy3
We also know that poor spelling and poor grammar here guarantees the same use outside of this board. rolleyes
back to your usual programming
No, I just think we deserve the same courtesy that you would give others.:-)

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:52PM

Jim Hyla
No, I just think we deserve the same courtesy that you would give others.:-)

:-P

Re: Grammer Solution
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 11:51PM

Ken '70
My own fair-minded and temperate take on the grammer and spelling transgressions is as follows:

In general, if the writer has made an obvious good faith attempt to communicate his ideas clearly and literately then I let him skate on a few oversights or mistakes, however...if he disagrees with me or is the fan of a team ahead of Cornell in the PWR then no scrutiny is too strict nor criticism too strong.

Makes sense, no?
No. The word is "grammar."

Damn. I should have been reading this thread all along. These posts are paved with gold.

Posted by: PE84 (---.ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:49AM

To take a different line on OOC games, I can't believe that mighty Red slayer Princeton got spanked by lowly Robert Morris last night. That really smarts. Particularly since RM hit the back of the net 5 times and the Red couldn't manage a single goal in NJ. Yeh, PU had a hot goalie and a strong night, but it still makes me wonder a bit more about the Red offense.

Posted by: PE84 (---.ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:47AM

Appears that RMU had 2 empty netters in the third period last night against PU. So at least a bit more explainable in the larger hockey realm. Now I can go on with my day with more peace of mind.

LGR!

Date: February 01, 2006 02:04PM

Using the current KRACH for probabilities, Cornell (227.4) should beat Princeton (58.5) about 4 out of 5 times. Princeton should beat Robert Morris (24.46) about 7 out of 10 times. So neither outcome (Princeton beating us or losing to RMU) is that unlikely, based onthe model.

Date: February 01, 2006 02:08PM

KeithK
Using the current KRACH for probabilities, Cornell (227.4) should beat Princeton (58.5) about 4 out of 5 times. Princeton should beat Robert Morris (24.46) about 7 out of 10 times. So neither outcome (Princeton beating us or losing to RMU) is that unlikely, based onthe model.

Neither outcome on its own is that unusual, but based on those ratings and probabilities, both outcomes together should only happen about 3 out of 50 times.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 01, 2006 02:25PM

Yes. But 6% isn't that small of a chance (16:1).

Date: February 01, 2006 02:30PM

KeithK
Yes. But 6% isn't that small of a chance (16:1).

Tell that to someone given a 6% chance of survival.

Okay, I know, it's just hockey. But still, 6% is pretty damn small for most things. It's certainly unlikely enough that it made most of us sit up and say, "Whoa."

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 01, 2006 02:41PM

[q]Tell that to someone given a 6% chance of survival.[/q]Engineer to management: "This only has a 6% chance of failing. That's pretty small, so we don't need to worry about it." Manager tears the employee a new one. So it's all about perspective.

[q]Okay, I know, it's just hockey. But still, 6% is pretty damn small for most things. It's certainly unlikely enough that it made most of us sit up and say, "Whoa."[/q]I see your point and don't disagree that it's a noteworthy event. My point is really that I suspect that there are plenty of individual games in a hockey season where an unlikely result occurs. Union tied Wisconsin last year. I'm sure you can come up with lots of results that were around 6% likely. Especially if you take pairs of games.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 01, 2006 03:39PM

KeithK
[q]Okay, I know, it's just hockey. But still, 6% is pretty damn small for most things. It's certainly unlikely enough that it made most of us sit up and say, "Whoa."[/q]I see your point and don't disagree that it's a noteworthy event. My point is really that I suspect that there are plenty of individual games in a hockey season where an unlikely result occurs. Union tied Wisconsin last year. I'm sure you can come up with lots of results that were around 6% likely. Especially if you take pairs of games.

Right, how many combinations of teams can you ask that about? How many combinations of opponents and opponents' opponents has such a low probability that both upsets occur?

This is the curse of public perception in the face of a weak schedule. You play 8 games against crappy teams that you should beat 7 times out of 8, but people remember the one you lost. (E.g., some eejit on the USCHO board was claiming in 2003 that our loss to Colgate meant that we couldn't possibly be a top-five team.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:19AM

The February 3, 2006 "GET FUZZY" comic strip explains "Bucky Katt's" view on grammar. I apologize for adding to the thread drift, but I found this "Get Fuzzy" comic strip particularly amusing in light of the recent grammar discussion on ELF.

[www.comics.com]

Date: February 03, 2006 04:44PM

Grammar Nazi/nazi humor. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login