Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hansen Article

Posted by canuck89 
Hansen Article
Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:13PM

Referee Scott Hansen in my mind has been horrible this weekend, and in the past. I really do not understand why everyone else thinks otherwise as this article states. It is interesting, nonetheless.

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Hansen Article
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:16PM

Dave Hansen reffed the game las night, not Scott. I think Scott is reffing Hockey East games this year and hasn't reffed any ECAC game since last season.

Date: January 28, 2006 01:18PM

you know when the last year scott refereed? just wondering. thanks.

Date: January 28, 2006 01:20PM

canuck89

I'm pretty certain it was last year. I've personally never been that impressed with him. For the most part I think Feola and Kotyra are the best refs in the league.

Date: January 28, 2006 01:24PM

canuck89

Actually he did ref the RPI Union weekend earlier this year.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:27PM

redhair34
canuck89

Interesting, the program from that weekend said Frank Murphy would be doing the games, but the box score on USCHO says Scott Hansen did them.

Date: January 28, 2006 01:30PM

Jacob '06
redhair34
canuck89

Interesting, the program from that weekend said Frank Murphy would be doing the games, but the box score on USCHO says Scott Hansen did them.

Yeah, I don't remember hearing his name this year but I could be wrong.

Date: January 28, 2006 02:01PM

Thanks for the info. Regardless of Dave sucking last night too, I will always hate Scott Hansen, lol.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:47PM

I think all we can hope is that Dave refs a better game this year. Last nights game , I noticed him not calling blatant calls. The penalty after the 3rd Brown goal was a make-up call. Since we had control of the book for the majority of the game, there were obviously more missed Brown infractions, but both teams at points in the game took advantage of this.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 04:22PM

IINM, Scott Hansen (along with Feola)is going to be reffing in the Turin Olympics.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2006 04:24PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 28, 2006 04:32PM

haha... wow.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 04:34PM

That makes me sick. Scott Hansen sucks.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:29PM

well after seeing his second game of the weekend, I think we can all now hope we never have to see him on the same ice as Cornell again. That was awful officiating - no call on Seminoff being hit from behind, calls Cam for slashing the Richards, but then a no call when Yale slashed McKee, and at one point he had a Cornell and Yale player separated and the Yale player speared the Cornell player while he was holding on to them both.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:01PM

Hansen swallowed his whistle for the second half of the third period. Guess he doesn't want to "decide the game". rolleyes

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:31AM

Scott Hansen has reffed some big Cornell-Harvard games in the past (e.g. the '02 and '03 championship games) and done a good job with them. Nobody's perfect, but in general, I have no problem with him doing an important Cornell game. Honestly, when I heard how bad a job "Hansen" was doing this weekend, I was a bit confused... The fact that it was a different Hansen clears a lot up. Sounds like this Dave Hansen fellow was pretty f'ing awful.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 10:39AM

jmh30
I have no problem with him doing an important Cornell game. Honestly, when I heard how bad a job "Hansen" was doing this weekend, I was a bit confused... The fact that it was a different Hansen clears a lot up. Sounds like this Dave Hansen fellow was pretty f'ing awful.

Assuming we're talking about the same Dave Hansen, he's Scott's older brother.

Given that Dave is the number one ref in the AHL, I can't help but wonder if the complaints about how he called the game have been filtered through Carnelian colored glasses?

[www.theahl.com]
Sunday, January 26, 2003

AHL's "Maine" event continuing tradition of All-Star excellence
ALL-STAR OFFICIALS NAMED - The American Hockey League has named the on-ice officials for next Monday's 2003 AHL All-Star Game. Referee Dave Hansen will be joined by linesmen Brad Weeden and Matt Dunne for the game.

[www.theahl.com]
Tue, September 21, 2004

AHL announces details of rule test

In July, a thorough on-ice trial, led by AHL Vice President of Hockey Operations Jim Mill, was run to determine the size and the location of the restricted area. Participating in the trial were AHL goaltender Jean-Marc Pelletier; defensemen Ed Campbell and Brian Chapman; Portland Pirates head coach Tim Army; NHL associate director of hockey operations Claude Loiselle; St. Louis Blues goaltending coach Keith Allain; AHL referee Dave Hansen and AHL linesman Marty Demers.

Maybe Dave had a off game this weekend and people are correct to criticize how the game was called, but honestly, do you think the AHL would use him in the rules test and for the All-Star Game if he was some bum off the street? Or is it more reasonable to assume fans can rarely be objective enough to judge an official's performance accurately?

(Full Disclosure - Dave is engaged (married by now?) to a women I worked with about 3-4 years ago - we'd occasionally go out for drinks after work and he'd meet up with us.)

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:10PM

Sorry but I was at both games and don't usually yell at officials (I find it un-professional and not helpful) but found myself screaming "B'shit" at least 4 times this weekend - Mr D. Hansen's missed calls seemed so awful and obvious. I feel bad theat I lost some control and yelled, but settled down quickly and starting yelling positive encourgment to the team as felt that was more constructive and valuable -

IMHO >>> He was inconsistent Plus he missed many calls that led to escalation and retaliation - and thus put players in danger in my mind. The AHL may like him but I hope the ECAC gets rid of him !!!

Give credit to Yale for throwing some great open ice hits - like the one on O'Byrne near end of third period that took him out of the game. They were agressive and matched up to us well in that aspect of the game. I hope someone else plays Yale in first round of the ECAC's they are a very good team judging by this weekend!

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:48PM

Well it was a few times this weekend I was left shaking my head saying Cornell got away with one. So it worked both ways for Brown and Yale. I guess you could say he was consistent in calling nothing that should've been called and everything that shouldn't have. It wasn't so much the hits, those were mostly clean, but it was the stick work. There were sticks all over Cornell midsections, arms and necks even. When Cornell got lazy and was beat to the puck they got away with a few takedowns themselves.

I was convinced that the Yale game was going to deteriorate into what happen in New Haven earlier in the year. If the game didn't go to OT it probably would have.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:26AM

I really don't want to beat this horse anymore, but for those of you that are convinced that you are unbiased in your ability to assess the skill of officials during a game in which you are emotionally invested, I offer the following:

Ehrlinger, J., Gilovich, T., & Ross, L. (2005). Peering into the bias blindspot: People’s Assessments of Bias in Themselves and Others. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 680-692.
[comp9.psych.cornell.edu]

Pronin, E., Gilovich, T., & Ross, L. (2004). Objectivity in the Eye of the Beholder: Divergent Perceptions of Bias in Self versus Others. Psychological Review, 111, 781-799.
[comp9.psych.cornell.edu]

Maybe you guys can march right over to Tom Gilovich's office in Uris and see if he's willing to run a little experiment with you guys? :)

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.dsl.psu.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:23PM

jeh25
Maybe you guys can march right over to Tom Gilovich's office in Uris and see if he's willing to run a little experiment with you guys? :)

He's actually in L.A. this week taking over the Nakatomi building....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login