Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

This Week's Column Up

Posted by calgARI '07 
This Week's Column Up
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:15PM

Scoring By Committee

[www.elynah.com]

Re: This Week's Column Up
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:35PM

Good column. Schafer answered your question about the Abbotts though, as Al D posted from the IJ in the Clarkson postgame thread:
[q]“They [the Abbotts] look for each other too much 5-on-5, so 4-on-4 is the perfect opportunity for them to play together,” Schafer said.[/q]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 12:36PM by KeithK.

Date: January 24, 2006 12:59PM

I understand it. He wants Chris in the defensive mode and Cam in the offensive mode and when they're out there together, the former is more intent on getting into the offense with Cam. All the same, that Cam Abbott-Pegoraro combo has never done anything.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:16PM

calgARI '07
I understand it. He wants Chris in the defensive mode and Cam in the offensive mode and when they're out there together, the former is more intent on getting into the offense with Cam. All the same, that Cam Abbott-Pegoraro combo has never done anything.

I don't think it has anything to do with offensive/defensive mode, I think Schafer's concern is that they essentially ignore/underutilize the other person on the line.

Date: January 24, 2006 02:18PM

That's how I read it too.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:26PM

Tub(a)
...I think Schafer's concern is that they essentially ignore/underutilize the other person on the line.
I suspect it would have been risky business for them to have ignored Hornby. uhoh

Date: January 24, 2006 02:40PM

Tub(a)
calgARI '07

I don't think it has anything to do with offensive/defensive mode, I think Schafer's concern is that they essentially ignore/underutilize the other person on the line.

To me, that's a bad reason when you see how much those two can create just on one shift together. Even with their recent resurgence, I'm still not at all pleased with the Abbott-Pegoraro second line. Both could do a lot more.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:50PM

Pegoraro is a great passer. I'd like to see him on a line with someone who could bury the puck consistently given an open one-timer. Cam doesn't seem to find his passes.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 03:26PM

Great column...

As for the Abbott debate--lets not forget another aspect, besides the "forgoten linemate factor," which I think weighs even heavier in Schafer's decision to keep them separate, the success of the Mugford-Abbott-Sawada line. They have absolutely shut down the opposition this year and I'm willing to guess as a combined line have the highest +/- stat of any of the 4 regular lines. But I agree with Ari about the Abbott-Pegoraro-McCutcheon line--they've underperformed 5x5 all season (exceptions: I thought abbott-pegs looked great together in Florida and even during the RIT game).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 03:35PM

Cactus12
Pegoraro is a great passer. I'd like to see him on a line with someone who could bury the puck consistently given an open one-timer.
How about just having anybody on *any* line bury the puck consistently given an open one-timer?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 04:06PM

calgARI '07
Tub(a)
calgARI '07

To me, that's a bad reason when you see how much those two can create just on one shift together. Even with their recent resurgence, I'm still not at all pleased with the Abbott-Pegoraro second line. Both could do a lot more.
In a somewhat analogous situation, Vancouver spent years shopping for a skilled RW to play in a line with the Sedins, and they've only just now gotten it right with Anson Carter. The Sedins have always been sort of funny about their playing situation (I remember reading that it's in their contracts that you can't move one without the other, or something like that, but who knows), and their refusal/inability to play with anyone but each other seriously crippled second line scoring for the Canucks until the magic puzzle piece was found... particularly since, until this season, Daniel was a much better player.

Obviously line options in college are significantly more limited since you can't buy or trade up players, so if coach has tried every right wing variable and failed, splitting them up is the right decision. Also, I find it kind of cool to have a recognizable, threatening 4x4 "line," though I guess one does not exclude the other.

(Man, even discounting the education aspect, trading in college would be awful.)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 07:32PM

I saw an interview with Anson Carter where he described his success with the Sedins. He said that he told the Sedins "not to worry about him" and "just do your thing". He recognizes that they have a stronger connection together than he'll ever have with them so he focuses on going to the net and just getting garbage goals. I haven't seen the Abbotts too much, but the Sedins are enormously effective at cycling and controlling the puck along the boards and being patient enough to eventually get a quality shot off or pass it to Carter. Carter also gets a lot of garbage goals. Haven't seen the Abbotts too much ('92 grad here) but could this be a solution? Carter figured out how to not to disrupt the twins strength but fit in nicely. His career was taking a nose dive so it's been a great move for all involved.

Huge Canucks fan here.......watch every game. The Northwest division is the shizzle folks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 07:33PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 07:34PM

RatushnyFan

Huge Canucks fan here.......watch every game. The Northwest division is the shizzle folks.

Huge Flames fan here........watch every game, including the four games the Flames have owned the Canucks. I agree that the Northwest Division is "the shizzle" though.

Date: January 24, 2006 07:43PM

calgARI '07
Huge Flames fan here........watch every game, including the four games the Flames have owned the Canucks. I agree that the Northwest Division is "the shizzle" though.
You do own us this year ...... but you're still having problems with Brendan Morrison in OT. Did my graduate work at Michigan and got to see him win a national championship and a Hobey. Didn't suck. Calgary is very, very, very good. The difference is goaltending.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:12PM

I agree with the earlier posts that the fact that Abbott/Sawada/Mugford are so effectively shutting down opponents top lines is enough reason to keep Cam and Chris separated.

I think we can agree that Schafer would scarifice scoring a goal more per game for allowing a goal less per game.

Date: January 24, 2006 09:20PM

RatushnyFan
calgARI '07
You do own us this year ...... but you're still having problems with Brendan Morrison in OT. Did my graduate work at Michigan and got to see him win a national championship and a Hobey. Didn't suck. Calgary is very, very, very good. The difference is goaltending.

My first every game in Calgary was the triple OT Game 6 where the Flames came back from 4-0 before Morrison won it in the third OT. Part of the difference is goaltending, but the Flames have a much stronger blueline top-to-bottom as well. I'd still say Vancouver has a stronger group up front though.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:32PM

RatushnyFan
The difference is goaltending.
The difference seems to be goaltending all over the place for Vancouver. I'm nobody's GM, but I would take any one of goalies-in-decline Roloson, Theodore, or Biron over Alex Auld at this point in the season, no question. And whose bright idea was Maxime Ouellet? I blame Philly for drafting him in the first place.

(This thread drift is totally not my fault, all I did were some twin comparisons.)

Date: January 24, 2006 09:50PM

One has to think that if Fontas could play, Schafer would put the Abbotts together and let them do their thing and put Fontas in the checking center role which is likely where he'll be next year. I still don't buy the Abbott's not utilizing their other linemate as a reason for them not being together because Cam has underachieved as a whole this season playing with Pegoraro. I think it's because Schafer needs Chris in that checking role and doesn't want him distracted with offense and creating with Cam.

Date: January 24, 2006 09:54PM

OK. You have a right to think that Schafer is hiding his true reasons. wouldn't be the first time a coach has done that.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:40PM

Yeh, well, that may be hoping for too much considering how many passes have skipped over sticks in front of wide open nets...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 12:52AM

Cactus12
Pegoraro is a great passer. I'd like to see him on a line with someone who could bury the puck consistently given an open one-timer. Cam doesn't seem to find his passes.
I've only been saying that for, like, two years. :-}

Date: January 25, 2006 12:58PM

calgARI '07
My first every game in Calgary was the triple OT Game 6 where the Flames came back from 4-0 before Morrison won it in the third OT. Part of the difference is goaltending, but the Flames have a much stronger blueline top-to-bottom as well. I'd still say Vancouver has a stronger group up front though.
Good to see some Northwest fans on this board. Goaltending is massive Calgary advantage but I'll take our blueliners as on par with yours. JoVo (sporadic but can take over critical games, strong on power play, very physical), Salo (consistent, has a WICKED SLAPPAHHHH) and Ohlund (great, well rounded defensemen, very physical) are all among the best defensemen in the league in my view. Bryan Allen is developing into an above average defenseman, again very physical, but more of a stay at home type. Nolan Baumgartner is relatively unknown but has 25 points and is +9 - he has really turned it on. Our 6th d-man, Steve McCarthy, is below average but improving and doesn't get much ice time. Kevin Bieksa is a rookie who's getting some ice time due to injuries. Our defensemen have 33 goals and 88 assists and are a combined +19. They're very good on the power play so I wouldn't focus just on the plus/minus. When the Canucks have been inconsistent, it has sometimes been due to sloppy play by Jovo but also a lot of times it has been ATROCIUS defensive effort by Naslund and Bertuzzi.

Phaneuf is the real deal and I do think that Leopold will turn around his scoring. Different, more tight defensive responsibility in Calgary that is very effective. Regehr is a big body and a great player. I'm not sold on Hamrlick, at least given his contract. Calgary's defensemen have 24 goals, 76 assists and are a combined +28.

I think that Vancouver's d-men fit their style of play pretty well and Calgary fits theirs and have come on very strong off a slow start to the season. I think they're equal. I give Calgary the edge in the playoffs due to much stronger goaltending. Even if Cloutier was back I'd say that (I think he's on par with Auld).

Sorry for the thread divergence.

Posted by: Mr. Time Keeper (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:37PM

Just for the heck of it (maybe in a game in which we were comfortably ahead), I'd try both Abbotts with three D. Let Chris and Cam go nuts down low, with an offensive-minded defenseman playing a middle-to-high slot and two stay-at-home guys playing defense. Why not??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login