Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wisconsin goalie goes down

Posted by Dpperk29 
Wisconsin goalie goes down
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:09PM

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

not that this really affects cornell, but it's still a shame to see a good goalie go down.

Re: Wisconsin goalie goes down
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:51PM

This is a really big deal for the #1 team in the country. Their backup is a freshman who's only game experience with the Badgers is one against the US Under-18 Team. I guess we'll see how good he is.

This is also a big opportunity for the defending national champs. Denver plays two against Wisconsin this weekend and a big series against the freshman could help jump start the Pioneers so far mediocre year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 09:21PM

A reminder of how key Cornells No. 1 netminder is. Our No. 2 is not exactly battle-tested either.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: January 19, 2006 10:21PM

bad things happen when teammates and adverbs are in the wrong place at the wrong time. twitch
Rita

ELLIOTT OUT 3-4 WEEKS

Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott, a leading candidate for the Hobey
Baker Award, will miss 3-4 weeks, according to a school spokesperson,
after injuring his leg during practice on Wednesday.

Elliott was injured when a mistakenly teammate slid into him during
practice.

At 18-2-2, Elliott has played every game for the Badgers this
season, on a team that leads the nation in winning percentage and is atop
every poll and ranking.

Read the rest:

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 01:24AM

[Q]Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott, a leading candidate for the Hobey
Baker Award, will miss 3-4 weeks, according to a school spokesperson,
after injuring his leg during practice on Wednesday.[/Q]

Along the lines of Rita's post, I wonder how the school spokesperson injured his leg and what he was practicing when he did. :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 01:30AM by cth95.

Posted by: DL (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 01:55AM

Wisconsin gets something of a break, however small...

"Denver's Ryan Dingle got a game disqualification along with his penalty last Saturday, meaning the Pioneers' leading goalscorer will have to sit out Friday's game at Wisconsin."

Posted by: pfm10 (---.gillette.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:35AM

I'm still chuckling to myself about a goalie going down. laugh I guess even college hockey has to have its share of sex scandals.

Sorry.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:45AM

pfm10
I'm still chuckling to myself about a goalie going down. laugh I guess even college hockey has to have its share of sex scandals.

Sorry.
heh. I was thinking, "...and Topher lifts it top shelf and SCORES!!!!!"

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 10:00AM

cth95
Along the lines of Rita's post, I wonder how the school spokesperson injured his leg and what he was practicing when he did. :-)

maybe some sort of "gopher-stomping" dance? nut

English teachers can use this article as an example of where not to put your adverbs and why you need to check how you place your prepositional phrases.

I usually don't catch these types of errors, but at work it is "conference abstract submission time", so I'm a bit more alert to these things... at least for this week.;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 10:09AM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:09AM

Rita
bad things happen when teammates and adverbs are in the wrong place at the wrong time. twitch
Rita

ELLIOTT OUT 3-4 WEEKS

Wisconsin goaltender Brian Elliott, a leading candidate for the Hobey
Baker Award
, will miss 3-4 weeks, according to a school spokesperson,
after injuring his leg during practice on Wednesday.

Elliott was injured when a mistakenly teammate slid into him during
practice.

At 18-2-2, Elliott has played every game for the Badgers this
season, on a team that leads the nation in winning percentage and is atop
every poll and ranking.

Read the rest:
Is anyone else a bit peeved about Elliott being considered "a leading candidate for the Hobey Baker Award", when looking at his numbers in comparison with McKee's last year or Lenny's three years ago?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.157.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:38AM

jmh30
Is anyone else a bit peeved about Elliott being considered "a leading candidate for the Hobey Baker Award", when looking at his numbers in comparison with McKee's last year or Lenny's three years ago?

Obligatory USCHO style reply: Please, Josh, Elliott plays in the mighty WCHA. He faces only the best every night, not the weak EZAC schedule that produced Lenny's NCAA record year. If Lenny played in the WCHA his GAA would be more like 3.50 with a save percentage of .860. Oh, and the argument about Cornell goalies being a prodcut of the system doesn't hold for Wisconsin because... well... Bucky is in the WCHA! If no WCHA forward is going to score 60 goals, the award should just go to the best WCHA goalie. It's only fair. nut

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:40AM

No wonder girls always seem to like goalies. They go down over-and-over again every night. ;-)

Posted by: Nostradamus (12.104.244.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 12:27PM

WCHA fan here ... I'm predicting that Elliot or not, Wisconsin falls to CORNELL in the NCAA regionals. Wisconsin has been beating offensive minded teams such as CC and Minnesota all season ... I don't think they've had to deal much with another tight checking team with good goaltending. Cornell plays a very similar game to Wisconsin, and I think would be well suited to pulling off the upset. I just had a premonition that this would happen .. McKee will get hot for you guys and you will beat a Badgers team that will be hyped as an invincible juggernaut.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 01:32PM

Nostradamus
WCHA fan here ... I'm predicting that Elliot or not, Wisconsin falls to CORNELL in the NCAA regionals. Wisconsin has been beating offensive minded teams such as CC and Minnesota all season ... I don't think they've had to deal much with another tight checking team with good goaltending. Cornell plays a very similar game to Wisconsin, and I think would be well suited to pulling off the upset. I just had a premonition that this would happen .. McKee will get hot for you guys and you will beat a Badgers team that will be hyped as an invincible juggernaut.

Just a general WCHA fan or any particular team? (like a ticked off CC or Minny fan)

Date: January 20, 2006 01:45PM

Chris 02
Nostradamus

Just a general WCHA fan or any particular team? (like a ticked off CC or Minny fan)

A Minnesota fan who is more resigned to the fact that the Gophers are not as good as the Badgers this year than ticked off. I think that a patient, disciplined team that sticks to a system like a "left wing lock," or a team that excels at grinding along the boards in the offensive zone, may have better success against Wisconsin than teams such as MN or CC. That may or may not describe the Big Red this year, but I'm hoping that someone can take down Bucky this year when it counts.

Date: January 20, 2006 01:52PM

Isn't it true that Denver relies on a pretty strong defensive game? If I'm remembering correctly then this weekend will be a big test of your theory.

Date: January 20, 2006 02:01PM

KeithK
Isn't it true that Denver relies on a pretty strong defensive game? If I'm remembering correctly then this weekend will be a big test of your theory.

Denver lost some important veterans from last year, and their goalies are having a down year. When Minnesota played them earlier this year their game looked alot like CC, Michigan, or Minnesota .. it was pretty freewheeling.

Date: January 20, 2006 02:09PM

OK, then I am remembering correctly but just haven't paid enough attention this year. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Nostradamu (12.104.244.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 02:37PM

Chris '03
jmh30

Obligatory USCHO style reply: Please, Josh, Elliott plays in the mighty WCHA. He faces only the best every night, not the weak EZAC schedule that produced Lenny's NCAA record year. If Lenny played in the WCHA his GAA would be more like 3.50 with a save percentage of .860. Oh, and the argument about Cornell goalies being a prodcut of the system doesn't hold for Wisconsin because... well... Bucky is in the WCHA! If no WCHA forward is going to score 60 goals, the award should just go to the best WCHA goalie. It's only fair. nut

I think that often the Hobey is treated like the NBA MVP award .. which sometimes goes not to the best player in the country necessarily, but to the best player on the best team if the best team is very dominant. Wisconsin is pretty clearly the best team in the country so far this year - I'ld like to see you argue otherwise. If you ask me, the best player in NCAA hockey is Matt Carle(and I'm not a DU fan), but DU has been fairly mediocre this year so he's not the frontrunner. Even though I think much of his success derives from the "system," its not a horrible thing for Elliot to be the frontrunner this year, even if his numbers might not be as stellar as a LeNeveau, McKee, or Ryan Miller from year's past. I'ld rather have Matt Carle on my team than Elliot though.

I definitely wouldn't call your league the EZAC this year. Maybe 3 teams in the NCAAs?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:50PM

Nostradamu
I think that often the Hobey is treated like the NBA MVP award .. < insert intelligent analysis here >

I definitely wouldn't call your league the EZAC this year. Maybe 3 teams in the NCAAs?

Wow, an intelligent, polite, non-trolling WCHA fan... and Minny at that! ;-)

Where ya been? Welcome to eLynah (forgive me if I just hadn't noticed you before)

Date: January 20, 2006 05:29PM

DeltaOne81
Nostradamu
I think that often the Hobey is treated like the NBA MVP award .. < insert intelligent analysis here >

Wow, an intelligent, polite, non-trolling WCHA fan... and Minny at that! ;-)

Where ya been? Welcome to eLynah (forgive me if I just hadn't noticed you before)

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoyed watching your team in the regionals last year and in the Frozen Four a few years ago. Its too bad that there isn't a regular season series scheduled between Cornell and MN in the near future. It seems like we've played everyone except Cornell the last few years in the regular season. Yale, Union, Niagara, Lowell, BU, BC, UNH, Maine, Colgate, etc. I don't recall if we've played Harvard recently, but the '89 title game still burns.

I am a college hockey fan in general as well as a Gophers fan, so I like seeing any kind of active passionate fan base, even the Ivy League ones! I recognize there are more than a few boorish obnoxious Gopher fans out there, but believe me that there are quite a few intelligent ones who know their hockey, and I don't even claim to be in that group. I've only been watching college hockey for 20 years. :) You're welcome to peruse [www.gopherpucklive.com] if you're at all interested in the western/Minnesota angle on things.

Date: January 20, 2006 06:08PM

According to USCHO, Minny has pleyed the following eastern teams over the past seven years:
2006: Union *, Lowell *, Niagara (2)
2005: at BU (2)< Merrimack *
2004: BU (2)< UNH *, vs. Maine
2003: at UNH (2)< BC *, Yale *
2002: Colgate (2), Providence *
2001: Quinnipiac, Union *, Brown
2000: at Maine (2), BC (2), Harvard *
1999: at BC (2), Princeton *, vs. SLU
A (*) indicates games in the Mariucci tournament, while (ice) means the Icebreaker tournament.

So 8 of 12 ECAC current teams (missing Cornell, Dartmouth, Clarkson, RPI) and 7 of 10 current HE teams (missing Vermont, Northeastern and UMass).

The pattern I see is that the Gophers have played home and home series against some of the top HE teams but only play ECAC teams in Minnesota whether as part of their holiday tournament or otherwise. Presumably this is largely the money issue, since ECAC rinks are small and generate less revenue. Since Schafer is on record as not being willing to go on the road without reciprocity and Cornell has it's own co-hosted tournament I wouldn't expect games with the Gophers anytime soon. Unfortunately.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 06:10PM by KeithK.

Posted by: jy3 (---.alb.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 10:57PM

interesting how the frosh gave up one goal tonight...and lost

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login