Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

cornell st law. pregame

Posted by mike k 
cornell st law. pregame
Posted by: mike k (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:58PM

Thought i'd start a little pregame talk, i see st. law is 10th in the nation, i haven't had a chance to watch them play, has anybody else. I think these are two big games for cornell, need to get going in the ecac and really could use help in the pwr rankings. It'll be intresting to see which team shows up, the team the beat Q last firday 6-0 or the team that turned around and lost to princeton 3-0. I was at the game against Q and if we can play like that every night, we can beat any team in the nation. Moulson even though he had a goal last weekend has looked terrible the past 4 games. I don't know if teams are focusing on him that much that he cant get open or he is just going through a slump. He needs to pick it up. Same goes for topher, but I think topher hasn't looked the same all year, he just isnt setting up plays like he used to. Well, LETS GO RED. 4 Point weekend.

Re: cornell st law. pregame
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:47PM

Huge huge huge game. In my column this week (not posted yet), I predicted a 2-2 tie. Anyways, I don't care what the worthless poll says, St. Lawrence is higher regarded team right now and the favorite going into tomorrow night.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 09:11PM

This is probably the first time we werent a favorite, right? Gotta wonder how it will effect the team - I hoping positively, allowing them to go out there with something to prove, and not just not to lose.

Date: January 19, 2006 09:16PM

I was gonna say that this is first time in several years I can remember Cornell not being a favorite in a home game. If Cornell does not get the ECAC NCAA berth and they get an at-large berth, it is clear that success against SLU and Colgate will be why. Huge game tomorrow night.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 19, 2006 09:36PM

I cannot agree more. I have been looking forward to this game/weekend for a while. Talent-wise, I think we are capable of doing well tomorrow. However, we have seen many different teams in front of us this season and I'm only referring to the Big Red. If they can work things out, I am confident this will be a very exciting game to watch. LGR!

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.19.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 10:20PM

I agree that these are huge games that can be a defining point in Cornell's season. However, I'm not convinced that even a 4-pt weekend would give us a huge momentum shift. This team has been very inconsistent; games like Harvard or @Q that we thought would give us a big boost were followed up by poor losses. I'd love to see us do well this weekend, but I don't think its possible to predict our play the following weekend based on how we do here.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 10:31PM

A quick look at the stats shows that these two teams have a few similarities.

Special teams are almost identical numbers (PPs at about 16% and PKs around 87%) and both have been outscored in the second period, while dominating scoring in the first and third. However, in conference play SLU is averaging nearly a goal per game more, both scored and allowed. And on top of that SLU hasn't been taking as many penalties as Cornell (about three minors per game less).

A lot of SLU's offense is coming from their Trevelyan, Zeiler, DeVirgilio line, a line that will obviously be Cornell's defensive focus of the game. The way the defense has come together recently I feel pretty confident they can be held in check for the most part. That on top of Cornell's recent offensive struggles (minus QU) could add up to an ugly goal being the difference in this one. The kind of game where the Sawada, Abbott, Mugford line could generate a hard working and hopefully game winning goal.

Date: January 19, 2006 11:04PM

ebilmes
I agree that these are huge games that can be a defining point in Cornell's season. However, I'm not convinced that even a 4-pt weekend would give us a huge momentum shift. This team has been very inconsistent; games like Harvard or @Q that we thought would give us a big boost were followed up by poor losses. I'd love to see us do well this weekend, but I don't think its possible to predict our play the following weekend based on how we do here.

Although I agree, the same could have been said last year at this time.

Posted by: SLU65 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 11:22PM

This is the first time this year SLU has been at full strength.

Freshmen defensemen are VERY good particularly w/ return of Junior Bagnall

DiVirgilio is strong candidate for Rookie of the Year and is a highlight reel by himself.

Very fast, disciplined and, as always, well coached.

Weakness is inability to score on PPs and to seemingly let up against weaker opponents. However, when losing they still manage to dominate w/ SOG. Strength is ability to handle ranked teams like Vt, Wisconsin and Miami.

As good a team as I have seen in 45 years

Promises to be an exciting game w/ post season repercussions more so for CU.

Posted by: mikee293 (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 12:33AM

anyone know of a link to audio or video to watch tomorrow's game online (for free)? Unfortunately I won't be in Ithaca for the game, but would love to be able to listen to it at home.

I checked the St. Lawrence athletics page but couldn't really find anything.....thanks

Posted by: mikee293 (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 12:34AM

hahaha actually nevermind.....i found some audio

[www.stlawu.edu]

Still....if anyone can find video let me know

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 07:06AM

SLU65
As good a team as I have seen in 45 years.
That's quite a lot to say, given some of the SLU teams in those years (e.g., '88, '89, '00).

SLU had some weak results (loses to Western Ontario and RIT) early in the season; those look irrelevant now.

Cornell's schedule has been *very* soft -- they haven't faced a team with a winning record since Harvard, and in the 12 games since they are an unspectacular 7-3-2 .667.

Very important game for two teams that could easily be headed for Albany.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 07:52AM

mikee293
hahaha actually nevermind.....i found some audio

[www.stlawu.edu]

Still....if anyone can find video let me know

Good luck finding free video. There is of course "All" Access video, which you can buy for $7 or the month. The next 5 games are at home, so it's a pretty good deal right now.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:32AM

I have heard that Kotyara has been assigned to this game. Usually that means special teams play will be huge. Kotyara tends to call things pretty tight.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:13PM

I've got a good feeling about tonight. The other day I was walking through lynah while the guys were practicing and decided to stop for a bit. The team was having fun on the ice...They looked determined, yes, but more importantly, they were working on a crazy rebound drill, laughing and enjoying themselves.

Seriousness wins games...Teamwork wins a championship.

...also, Coach took a shot from the top of one of the circles, beating Chabot over the shoulder...He then hooted and skated on one foot, pumping his fist in the air...some players hit their sticks on the ice.

LETS GO RED!

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:23PM

SLU65
This is the first time this year SLU has been at full strength.

AND THEY... STILL... SUCK.

(Sorry, I just had to do that, it being one of our cheers and all.)

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:32PM

calgARI '07
Huge huge huge game. In my column this week (not posted yet), I predicted a 2-2 tie. Anyways, I don't care what the worthless poll says, St. Lawrence is higher regarded team right now and the favorite going into tomorrow night.

Why don't you wait until after the game to post your prediction.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 06:11PM

It's posted now. And he's making the prediction in advance in any case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login