Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Quinnipiac postgame

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell-Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.19.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:19PM

Ijust got back from the game. It was the 6th game I've seen this year and by far the best overall performance. I saw McKee play in Florida and he played well there, but tonight was the first time I've seen him as sharp as he was last year. It's a good thing, too, because we had some sloppy giveaways in the first period that he made good saves on. Offensively, most of our goals were highlight-film candidates, especially Carefoot's second goal, and Bitz's blast from just inside the blue line. We were skating and shooting so well, that it was a surprise when we failed to score on a good scoring chance in the third period. The only bad note was the fluke collision between Moulson and Glover late in the game. Glover got the worst of it, and it looked like he injured his right knee. Let's hope we don't have a letdown Saturday night in Princeton.

Finally, from a fan standpoint, the alumni pep band did a great job, and the Cornell fans were in great form. It had to seem like a home game for Cornell and a road game for Quinnipiac, which had no band and fewer fans, and not much to cheer about.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2006 10:23PM by dbilmes.

Re: Cornell-Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:09AM

David's game summary was right on target: great effort by Cornell ... sensational first period (and no penalties) ... the goals were almost all highlight film caliber, not stuff that trickled past the Q'pac sieves (plural) ... some sloppy defensive play in our end a half dozen times followed by great poke-aways by defensemen or saves by Mckee ... awesome support from the pep band. Also:

- Three even-strength points from Matt Moulson (1G-2A, season total 12-11-23). That probably matches his even-strength / non-empty-net points for the season
- Great first two periods by Sasha Pokoluk (poe-KOLL-uck according to the announcer). Some mental errors / dumb penalties in the third period.
- The final score could have been anywhere from a 3-3 tie to 10-0 Cornell. Q'pac wasn't a bad team as much as unlucky. Until the final minute when Cornell went on powerplay (and then lost it to a game end double minor) the shots were tied 21-21; it ended 22-21 for Cornell if the scoreboard was official.
- McKee played an A game. The defense got him close to the shutout ... but he earned it when the defense almost cost him (multiple times) shutout No. 17. If he allows no more than 1 goal against Princeton, he should be down at ~2.0GAA.
- The Quinnipiac mascot turns out not to be the Fighting Deer Tick but a Bobcat. The skating bobcat mascot could not skate very well. Let's hope he/she was wearing a helmet underneath the furry head.
- Dan Glover came off the ice after the odd collison with a teammate (Moulson?) on the trainer's shoulder in the third holding one knee off the ice. :et's hope he's okay.
- Regarding penalties, Cornell was disciplined in the first, okay in the second, losing control in the third. Imagine getting an unsportsmanlike conduct call for grabbing the other guy's stick during a faceoff (Mugford, I believe, who made up for it with a beautiful assist on the sixth, shorthand, goal by McCutcheon).
- The teams were a combined 0x11 on power play. Quinnipiac's PP was futile until the third period (but still didn't score). With the game safely in hand, Schafer may have tried the 2nd PP unit more than if the outcome were in doubt.
- Announced attendance was 1608. Cornell plus Cornell band outnumbered Quinnipiac fans plus Q'pac cassette player if you measured red apparel vs. blue apparel or just the fan density on opposite sides of the rink. Still, Q'pac had a lot of people there supporting, selling merchandise, trying to build something for their fans and for the school. We should wish them a measured amount of success.
- Hard to believe this is the same Q'pac team that went down 2-1 to Cornell earlier.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 01:45AM

Two interesting stats: Pegs 16-3 on faceoffs; Moulson only one SOG.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 03:40AM

I must say that tonight was the first time all year that I felt really confident in the offense. Everytime the Red where in the offensive zone they where making somthing happen. Passes where crisp, plays where set up, most of the shots taken where quality scoring opertunities. It was very differant than the usual screen the goalie,shoot from the point, fight for the reboud offense that we've seen all year. And the goal count could have been higher, as there where several beautiful setups that went unconverted. Maybe it was just that Q's defense was that bad, but it was encouraging to see.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:29AM

Anyone have firsthand comments about Reid Cashman they'd like to share? His goal production is down from last year but he's still among the national leaders in assists and defenseman scoring.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:52AM

Quite a good effort last evening. Very sharp early on, with good finishing touch around the net. The cycling in the corner was probably the strongest it has been this year, yielding multiple opportunities from both the point and the slot. Quality defensive effort throughout with McKee cleaning up the few QU chances.
As close to a clean game as a coach could want.

It's important for a good team to blow out lesser opponents occasionally. Besides boosting confidence, it allows the players to both refine coached skills and attempt more creative plays in a game situation. This game was a great start to the second half. Lets hope the strong play continues tonite vs Princeton.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 10:50AM

jmh30
Anyone have firsthand comments about Reid Cashman they'd like to share? His goal production is down from last year but he's still among the national leaders in assists and defenseman scoring.

Yeah...he sucks. :-D Seriously, though, he was out there trying, but was struggling alongside his team. Given the team's ineffective PP last night, his chances were very limited.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 11:21AM

MattShaf
Quite a good effort last evening. Very sharp early on, with good finishing touch around the net. The cycling in the corner was probably the strongest it has been this year, yielding multiple opportunities from both the point and the slot. Quality defensive effort throughout with McKee cleaning up the few QU chances. As close to a clean game as a coach could want. It's important for a good team to blow out lesser opponents occasionally. Besides boosting confidence, it allows the players to both refine coached skills and attempt more creative plays in a game situation. This game was a great start to the second half. Lets hope the strong play continues tonite vs Princeton.

Agree that once in a while a good/great team should blow out the other team just to prove you can do it (when the stars all line up in your favor), like that all-Vesce-all-the-time 7-0 blowout at Princeton in 2003-2004 (?) where Ryan was in on all 7 of Cornell's points. Maybe the freshmen have become more comfortable with Cornell's and Schafer's system of play. Also: Some of us at the game wondered if the intricate weaving as Cornell crossed into the offensive zone may have unsettled Cornell's ability to get back on defense. For as close to perfect as it got, the quality defensive effort in front of McKee that we all noticed was because in a half-dozen cases there was a defensive lapse that let Quinnipiac get in position. But there's only so many ways you can nitpick a 6-0 victory.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:04PM

jmh30
In the Ithaca game, he was a factor whenever he was on the ice. Solid in all aspects of the game -- I hope he gets a chance in the N someday.

Q's defense definitely didn't suck at Lynah; I can't explain why the Red had it so easy last night. Is it too much to hope that they have found the Philosopher's Stone of Great O + Great D?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:46PM

Trotsky
jmh30
In the Ithaca game, he was a factor whenever he was on the ice. Solid in all aspects of the game -- I hope he gets a chance in the N someday.

Q's defense definitely didn't suck at Lynah; I can't explain why the Red had it so easy last night. Is it too much to hope that they have found the Philosopher's Stone of Great O + Great D?

I think one of the biggest differences last night was the passing. They convert many more of their passes in the o-zone than they have all year, and they also attempted much more creative passes which set up better scoring opportunities. I don't think they really had the offensive strategy that Q was prepared for. On the Cashman subject, he looked pretty good but he is only one guy on a team that really has only one truly competitive line. So he looked good when he was out there but there is only so much he can do.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 06:23PM

The Glover injury hopefully doesn't amount to much. I was sitting right by the bench and he was stretching it out without too much difficulty, plus he was able to skate out to shake hands at the end.

As for the game I was pleased as to how much flow the offense had. This was a 5 on 5 contest for most of the first two periods - which I might add seemed to be because Hansen was reffing a pretty good game. It was a very smooth couple of periods without too many whistles, and was actually very enjoyable to watch (of course the scoreboard helped). Either way, Cornell had their cycle working but for a change used the rush to score the bulk of their goals instead. Good to see that.

As far the defense goes, PK was great again (they are on fire right now) and most of QU's shots weren't a real danger. There was only one play I was really worried about, when the QU player walked right down the slot and either shot high or McKee got a piece of. It really is hard to find much wrong with a 6-0 win. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login