Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Retiring Moose's #

Posted by nyiballs 
[OT] Retiring Moose's #
Posted by: nyiballs (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:30AM

As an Isles fan I had a deep hatred for Mark... But to quote Vince Vaughn at the end of 'Anchorman,' "I hate you, but dammit do I respect you."

Messier's a class act, always has been.

Re: [OT] Retiring Moose's #
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:35AM

Not that I care all that much, but Age *did* go to the trouble of creating an offtopic forum just for this kind of stuff.

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (12.10.219.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:45PM

I disagree that hockey, just because it's pro, is off-topic enough to be in a different forum.

But then reasonable people can disagree, and I suppose that's why the new poll is there.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:51PM

An [OT] tag is fine for this.

Even as an Isles fan, I never hated Messier -- that Edmonton team was a pleasure to watch. It was funny to hear him on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday, gently letting down the hosts that his time with the Rangers was somehow the definitive experience of his career. rolleyes Nice gesture to retire his number, but he'll always be an Oiler and Gretz' teammate -- the rest is just a footnote.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:15PM

Agreed. Hockey is appropriate enough to simply be [OT} flagged. Other Cornell sports probably are as well. It's topics that have nothing to do with either "Cornell" or "hockey" that don't belong. All IMNSHO.

Posted by: ugarte (12.10.219.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:26PM

KeithK
Agreed. Hockey is appropriate enough to simply be [OT} flagged. Other Cornell sports probably are as well. It's topics that have nothing to do with either "Cornell" or "hockey" that don't belong. All IMNSHO.
That's how I would draw the line also.

My instinct was to think that "Moose" referred to Mike Mussina. I was less than shocked that Steinbrenner both had him killed and honored him. Then I stopped thinking.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 02:21PM

I consider myself slapped. laugh

FWIW, I've been a huge fan of Messier's since I started watching the Rangers back in high school. Didn't see him during his heyday with the Oilers, but I recall thinking he was pretty awesome nonetheless. The point of this is simply to demonstrate that I'm an equal opportunity crank. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:16PM

Trotsky
An [OT] tag is fine for this.

Even as an Isles fan, I never hated Messier -- that Edmonton team was a pleasure to watch. It was funny to hear him on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday, gently letting down the hosts that his time with the Rangers was somehow the definitive experience of his career. rolleyes Nice gesture to retire his number, but he'll always be an Oiler and Gretz' teammate -- the rest is just a footnote.
I'm hardly one to disrespect the Great One, but for what it's worth, Messier won two Cups on teams without Gretzky; Gretzky won none on teams without Messier.

Date: January 13, 2006 12:12AM

For what it's worth, in the tribute video that aired before Messier's retirement ceremony, he refers to Rangers fans as the "Garden Faithful". Shout out? :-D

Re: [OT] footnote?
Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 12:51PM

His ten years in New York were hardly a "footnote" either in his hockey career or in his life.

He has talked about this many times, including during the Wed press conference and last night in the ceremonies.

Specifically for example, he said that his years in New York forever changed his life and those of his family members. Sounds like a lot more than a footnote.

Hockey-wise, he has often said that coming to NY to try to win a Cup was his "greatest challenge" in his pro career.

It may not have "defined" him as a player but it certainly cemented his stature as a leader. Again, far from a footnote.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2006 01:25PM

Everyone conveniently glosses over his defection to Vancouver. Maybe if NY had changed his life a wee bit more he wouldn't have chased a bit more cash elsewhere. I felt like they really went all-out for last night's ceremony. It was significantly more extravagant that what they did for Richter, who was not only the best goalie ever to play for NYR, but a carreer Blueshirt. I guess loyalty isn't that important to them. For the record, I feel the same way about Leetch.

Date: January 13, 2006 03:23PM

CowbellGuy
Everyone conveniently glosses over his defection to Vancouver. Maybe if NY had changed his life a wee bit more he wouldn't have chased a bit more cash elsewhere. I felt like they really went all-out for last night's ceremony. It was significantly more extravagant that what they did for Richter, who was not only the best goalie ever to play for NYR, but a carreer Blueshirt. I guess loyalty isn't that important to them. For the record, I feel the same way about Leetch.
You feel the same way about Leetch as you do about Richter? Or about Messier?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2006 03:53PM

I feel the same way about Leetch as I do about Messier. Significantly tarnished their image with me by chasing $ elsewhere.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 07:44PM

Not glossing over anything.

You're conveniently overlooking, perhaps, that Smith bungled the negotiations with the Messiers and didn't even return their calls while they were in Hilton Head, SC.

Smith admitted this later.

It wasn't that Mess chased the cash at all. More like Vancouver chased him when they sensed there was a chance that Smith wasn't going to sign him.

As for Leetch, Sather TRADED him. Leetch never wanted to leave.

I wonder if Sather willswallow his pride and pursue getting Leetch back this year. The Bruins are going nowhere and Leetch can help their mediocre powerplay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login