Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

(OT) Nickerson starting out right w/CU wrestling

Posted by profudge 
(OT) Nickerson starting out right w/CU wrestling
Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:29AM

Quoting a column from Binghamton Press by John Fox):
[Q] Nickerson was a conceded starter when he enrolled. In his debut, host Cornell's 11-team Body Bar Invitational on Nov. 19, he won all four matches, averaging 43 seconds for two, then 12-2 over the West Point entry and 14-7 in the final.

The competition ratcheted up to 50 teams last weekend in the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, and Cornell finished second to Michigan, third-ranked nationally. Only Nickerson took a title. In his 9-4 semi, he beat top-seeded third-year soph Chad Mendes of Cal Poly. In the 7-4 championship match, he dominated second-seeded senior Jeremy Mendoza of Arizona State, whose coach explained in his tournament summary on the Sun Devils' Web site: "In the finals, Jeremy took on a tough freshman who is quickly making a name for himself on the college scene." [/Q]

[Q]"Many dozens of wrestlers reach college with 'billings,' and don't live up to it," Koll said.
The problem with Troy, Koll said, is that expectations are so high, "People hear me say what he's done so far and say, 'So what?' " [/Q]
[Q]Nickerson remains 18 until next month, days before Cornell joins the Oklahomans and Iowans at the loaded National Duals. Defending NCAA champion Joe Dubuque, No. 1, is going on 24.[/Q]

Re: (OT) Nickerson starting out right w/CU wrestling
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2005 10:46AM

And the best news yet: he does not have syphilis, nor does he partake in the eating of babies.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: December 11, 2005 12:42PM

No, but the simple fact that you have your own Nickerson, and he's a wrestler, is funny.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:36PM

Yep, and that you remain obsessed with the "other" Nickerson is well...that's beyond funny.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:51PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Yep, and that you remain obsessed with the "other" Nickerson is well...that's beyond funny. [/q]

I think the only reason for that obsession is that it never fails to get a rise out of you, Rich...which is also hilarious.

Date: December 11, 2005 11:51PM

You call that a "rise"? C'mon, a rise from me is a lot more than that and you know it. :-D

Seriously now, John Fox, who is the Sports Editor emeritus at the Evening Press, which is my hometown paper, has been at it for over 40 years. He's a legend in the Southern Tier.

Which Binghamton area HS is Nickerson from? I no longer follow HS wrestling up there.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2005 08:10AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote: Yep, and that you remain obsessed with the "other" Nickerson is well...that's beyond funny.[/q]Are you familiar with the phrase "running gag"? It is not synonymous with "obsession."

[Q]Rich S Wrote: You call that a "rise"? C'mon, a rise from me is a lot more than that and you know it. [/q]Say what you want to, but Pavlov's bell didn't work this well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2005 08:13AM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 10:28AM

Yeah you can call it a "running gag" if you like. A mighty pathetic one.

As for Pavlov, well, I am a dog lover. :-D

Date: December 12, 2005 12:39PM

Rich - Troy wrestled at Chenango Forks HS I believe and he won 5 NY State titles while there.

Date: December 12, 2005 01:57PM

The Forks has had a strong program for decades. But how did he win 5 titles? Isn't four still the max # of years in a varsity sport?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 02:05PM

Some states allow underage/underclass participants in some sports dependent on the sport's other requirements (weight class, etc), but I always thought if you did that (say, playing varsity tiddly winks as an 8th grader) then you lost a year of eligibility on the upper end.

Date: December 12, 2005 04:29PM

Folks,

If an exceptional player is elegible (tests and guidelines change by sport and gender etc.) they can play 5 years of varsity competition in NY State.

Locally I can think of 2 good examples - a talented young lady who played boys varsity soccer about half the games in her 8th grade year and played again her 9th grade year and switched to girls varsity for her last 3 years as a team was developed for girls - - she went on to play NCAA soccer Div 2 or lower Div 1.

A nice young man who played varsity Bball from 8th - 12th grade, league MVP several years and all section 4 for at least 2 (maybe 3 years) - went on to play at Canisus for NCAA Div 1 ... and is back now coaching and teaching a wonderful example for kids in HS here.

:-)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:38PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Seriously now, John Fox, who is the Sports Editor emeritus at the Evening Press, which is my hometown paper, has been at it for over 40 years. He's a legend in the Southern Tier. [/q]

I'm lost as to what Fox has to do with this thread. Rich??
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2005 05:57PM by marty.

Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:43PM

[Q]profudge Wrote:

Folks,

If an exceptional player is elegible (tests and guidelines change by sport and gender etc.) they can play 5 years of varsity competition in NY State.

Locally I can think of 2 good examples - a talented young lady who played boys varsity soccer about half the games in her 8th grade year and played again her 9th grade year and switched to girls varsity for her last 3 years as a team was developed for girls - - she went on to play NCAA soccer Div 2 or lower Div 1.

A nice young man who played varsity Bball from 8th - 12th grade, league MVP several years and all section 4 for at least 2 (maybe 3 years) - went on to play at Canisus for NCAA Div 1 ... and is back now coaching and teaching a wonderful example for kids in HS here.

[/q]

Locally, in Ithaca, a number of 8th graders have played HS hockey, including, the LA Kings' Dustin Brown who played two years with the HS before heading off to the OHL. It's happening in HS hockey more frequently with the growth of junior programs that take away a lot of the older HS players.

Date: December 12, 2005 08:14PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Yeah you can call it a "running gag" if you like. A mighty pathetic one.[/q]I'm not particularly fond of the gag myself, but I at least get the joke. I'm not sure you are in any position to judge whether it is pathetic or not until you figure it out.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2005 08:51PM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

Locally, in Ithaca, a number of 8th graders have played HS hockey, including, the LA Kings' Dustin Brown who played two years with the HS before heading off to the OHL. It's happening in HS hockey more frequently with the growth of junior programs that take away a lot of the older HS players.[/q]

This year's Little Red also has a couple of 8th graders on the team, including Andy Iles who looks like he's going to be a nice little goalie.

Talk about thread drift...

Date: December 13, 2005 04:15AM

Quotes from Fox's article appear in the first post of this thread. His paper, the Binghamton Press, is the kid's hometown paper.

Two Cornell dual meets on CSTV
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 03:22PM

Looks like both will be shown tape-delayed

[wrestlingreport.net]

Date: December 14, 2005 08:49PM

There's nothing to "figure out" in "humor" as classless as that.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 09:46PM

I don't think there's anything classless in making hyperbolic statements to demonstrate dislike for an opponent. It definitely appeals to my sense of humor. Saying "he eats babies" clearly represents hyperbole. Saying that he has syphillis is a lot closer to the line, but considering the context in which it is said (and no one having any reason to think that he does have any particular STD) I think it's not inappropriate. But YMMV.

Now whether the line is still funny after endless repetition is a different story. But sometimes a not so funny joke becomes funnier exactly when it's repeated continuously.

Date: December 15, 2005 12:34AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
Now whether the line is still funny after endless repetition is a different story. But sometimes a not so funny joke becomes funnier exactly when it's repeated continuously.[/q] Yep. My favorite recent example.

Date: December 15, 2005 12:34AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

There's nothing to "figure out" in "humor" as classless as that.[/q]You are so totally making my point.

Re: Two Cornell dual meets on CSTV
Date: December 15, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Looks like both will be shown tape-delayed[/q]I clicked on the link and saw a bunch of Cornell tournaments that will be aired (and thank you very much for the heads-up), but I'm not sure what you mean by "both."

I really want to see this kid wrestle.

To wrestle this thread back on topic,* Nickerson's next tournament (and the team's, natch) is the Southern Scuffle at UNC-Greensboro. Wrestling at heavyweight for UNCG is former Cornellian Tyler Shovlin, who is now in graduate school.

*Did you see that? It was a bit of wordplay! Though not actually funny.

Date: December 15, 2005 07:06AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Looks like both will be shown tape-delayed[/Q]
I clicked on the link and saw a bunch of Cornell tournaments that will be aired (and thank you very much for the heads-up), but I'm not sure what you mean by "both."
[/q]
Hmmm. The topic is "two Cornell dual meets [Michigan and Columbia] on CSTV" and "both" are to be shown days after they actually take place.

Yes, Cornell will participate in the National Duals, but it's likely CSTV will show the championship dual meet and it's unlikely that Cornell will be in it. But perhaps they'll show highlights of other matches as well.

Posted by: ugarte (12.10.219.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 12:52PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Hmmm. The topic is "two Cornell dual meets on CSTV" and "both" are to be shown days after they actually take place. [/q]Gotcha. I didn't see that you changed the topic. And, as you guessed, the Cliff Keen thing threw me also.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 03:49PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Wrestling at heavyweight for UNCG is former Cornellian Tyler Shovlin, who is now in graduate school.
[/q]

Question: How can Tyler wrestle for UNCG? Hasn't he used up his eligibility?

Date: December 15, 2005 04:25PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

Wrestling at heavyweight for UNCG is former Cornellian Tyler Shovlin, who is now in graduate school.
[/Q]
Question: How can Tyler wrestle for UNCG? Hasn't he used up his eligibility?
[/q]
Apparently not. And I think I read somewhere that once you graduate you don't have to sit out a year as you would after transferring as an undergrad.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:36PM

a few years back when i was playing lacrosse, the rules used to read something to the tune of ... "students athletes are eligible for a total of 10 semesters, 8 of which they may compete. if all 8 semesters are not used as an undergrad, at most 2 semester may be used in graduate school directly following graduation as an undergraduate. i haven't heard anything to think this policy has changed drastically. i could be wrong :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 05:49PM

[q]Apparently not. And I think I read somewhere that once you graduate you don't have to sit out a year as you would after transferring as an undergrad. [/q]Which makes sense. The reason that there is a requirement that transfers sit out a year is to prevent a played from transferring on a whim simply to increase playing time. If there were no cost to transferring some players might resemble free agents, bouncing between schools every year. (I'm exaggerating a little.) OTOH, it seems pretty ridiculous for the NCAA, which is ostensibly about student[\b]-athletics (stop your snickering), to put limitations on players who graduate and proceed to graduate school.

Re: (OT) endless repetition...zzzzzzz
Date: December 16, 2005 03:18PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Now whether the line is still funny after endless repetition is a different story. But sometimes a not so funny joke becomes funnier exactly when it's repeated continuously.[/q]

No, if it's not so funny, or is tasteless to begin with, it's repeating merely makes it moronic and boring.

But if that's funny to you, then carry on. Enjoy the majority of today's so-called "comics".

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 03:28PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
No, if it's not so funny, or is tasteless to begin with, it's repeating merely makes it moronic and boring.
[/q]

Something like your constant objections to everything we joke about around here. Since it's not funny to begin with, it just gets more moronic over time?

Date: December 18, 2005 02:49PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:
[/Q]
Something like your constant objections to everything we joke about around here. Since it's not funny to begin with, it just gets more moronic over time?
[/q]

It's quite an exaggeration to say I object to "everything" you joke about. I only comment on the monotonous, tasteless, or mean-spirited ones. After all, I expect better from you who are so highly and expensively educated.

:-D

And i'm not trying to be funny; just to make some sense, which is more than is accomplished by "jokes" of the type referred to above.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:34AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

It's quite an exaggeration to say I object to "everything" you joke about. I only comment on the monotonous, tasteless, or mean-spirited ones. After all, I expect better from you who are so highly and expensively educated.
[/q]
A Clarkson alum ripping on how expensive Cornell is? Um...ok.

Clarkson 2005-2006 tuition: $25,186
Cornell 2005-2006 tuition: $17,200 - $31,300.

I think the fact that people outside of the Northeast have heard of and respect my school is worth the extra $6k. No - on second thought, the education itself was worth it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:43AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:
I only comment on the monotonous, tasteless, or mean-spirited ones.[/q]

My irony meter just broke.

Date: December 19, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Rich S Wrote:

[/Q]
A Clarkson alum ripping on how expensive Cornell is? Um...ok.

Clarkson 2005-2006 tuition: $25,186
Cornell 2005-2006 tuition: $17,200 - $31,300.

I think the fact that people outside of the Northeast have heard of and respect my school is worth the extra $6k. No - on second thought, the education itself was worth it.

[/q]

So you think that the above does not apply to Clarkson?

rolleyes

Wake up and smell the coffee, or better yet, talk to people in business and industry whose opinion really counts.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.n)
Date: December 20, 2005 12:16AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

So you think that the above does not apply to Clarkson?

Wake up and smell the coffee, or better yet, talk to people in business and industry whose opinion really counts.[/q]

Whatever. I sat next to a Clarkson alum in Texas for 3 years (even attended the Clarkson/RPI broadcast with her a couple times). Whenever we'd talk hockey with non-northerners around it was, "So who's this other school that's a rival of Cornell?" No exaggeration necessary.

And hey - I'm in business and industry! I guess my opinion counts, eh?

Southern Scuffle to be webcast...
Date: December 21, 2005 12:47PM

at a $10 fee for two full days. Unfortunately, it will probably be impossible to tell in advance which matches will be on the three "televised" mats and which will not.

[www.uncgspartans.com]

Posted by: philly mike (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 12:46PM

Nickerson was named Athlete of the Year for the third time today by the Binghamton Press. There is a full page article on him in the paper.

[pressconnects.com]

Southern Scuffle, Day 1
Date: December 30, 2005 02:20AM

After Day 1 of the Southern Scuffle at UNC Greensboro, Cornell is in 4th place. Individually:

125: #1 seed Troy Nickerson is cruising into the QF. He won his two matches 11-3 and 14-4. His path to the title got a little easier when the #2 in his weight class lost to an unseeded wrestler. In the lastest NWCA/Intermat poll, Nickerson has shot up the charts to #5.

Teammate Mike Rodriguez lost his opening match and then won one match in the wrestleback bracket before being eliminated.

133: #4 seed Mike Mormile was upset in the Round of 16 but is alive in the wrestlebacks. (While I'm looking at the rankings, he is ranked #10 in the NWCA.)

Nick Bridge lost his Round of 32 match but is also alive in the wrestlebacks.

141: Matt Easter won a pigtail match in the main bracket and a 1st round match in the wrestlebacks before being eliminated.

149: Keith Dickey advanced to the QF on a disqualification over the #4 seed. He has yet to give up a point in the tournament, winning his first two matches 12-0 and 3-0.

Matt Reish followed the same path as Matt Easter at 141.

157: #1 seed Dustin Manotti is in the QF and cruising, winning 19-3 and 16-6. (FYI: #6 by the NWCA.)

165: Double huzzah, as #5 seed Steve Anceravage and unseeded John Cholish are both in the QF. Anceravage won his matches 12-3 and 8-2; Cholish 9-1 and 6-3 (over the #7 seed). (Another FYI: Anceravage is #11 by the NWCA.)

174: Cornell sent three wrestlers at 174 but didn't get a particularly lucky draw. Luke Hogle lost in the Round of 16 to the #6 seed, but remains alive in the wrestlebacks.

Dan Miracola ran into the #4 seed in the Round of 32 and was eliminated in the 3d round of wrestlebacks by the #7 seed.

Joey Hooker was pinned in the Round of 32 by the #2 seed* and forfeited his wrestleback match.

184: #1 seed Joe Mazzurco is in the QF. He won his two matches 23-6 and 22-9. (FYI: NWCA #8.)

Mike Moore lost to the #7 seed in the Round of 32 and then to that guy's teammate in the first wrestleback round.

197: #1 seed Jerry Rinaldi is in the QF. He won his matches 7-2, 12-0 and 6-1. (FYI: NWCA #9.)

Taylor Moore lost his Round of 32 and wrestleback matches.

285: Jason Manross lost to the #2 seed in the Round of 16 but remains alive in the wrestleback bracket.

Jim March lost to the #4 seed in the Round of 32 and one one wrestleback match before being eliminated.

Zach Hammond lost in the Round of 32 and his first wrestleback match.

-----------------

* The wrestler that pinned Hooker is listed as "unaffiliated." How does an unaffiliated wrestler compete in an NCAA event? Is it possible that he goes to a JC or an NAIA school?

Re: Southern Scuffle, Day 1
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:14AM

ugarte

* The wrestler that pinned Hooker is listed as "unaffiliated." How does an unaffiliated wrestler compete in an NCAA event? Is it possible that he goes to a JC or an NAIA school?

He is probably a red shirt. Red shirts are allowed to wrestle a certain number of matches a year as long as they don't wear their schools uniform and enter unaffiliated.

Web cast for Southern Scuffle?
Date: December 30, 2005 08:05AM

Is it available for free and does it load from the page that you have in your link?

Re: Web cast for Southern Scuffle?
Date: December 30, 2005 08:27AM

marty
Is it available for free and does it load from the page that you have in your link?
To get the webcast, click on the UNCG All-Access link on the Southern Scuffle homepage. It isn't free, but it isn't expensive. Man, I wish I had internet at work.

Re: Web cast for Southern Scuffle?
Date: December 30, 2005 09:52AM

ugarte
marty
To get the webcast, click on the UNCG All-Access link on the Southern Scuffle homepage. It isn't free, but it isn't expensive. Man, I wish I had internet at work.

Thanks - I have 800 x 600 on this machine and the All Access was off my screen to the right.

Southern Scuffle, Day 2 (So far)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:17PM

125: #1 seed Troy Nickerson is in the finals. He blanked the #8 seed 3-0 in the QF and pinned the #4 seed (#16 in the country) in the SF. He will face unseeded Chad Sportelli of Kent State, who started the tournament by beating Cornell's Mike Rodriguez and followed with wins over the #2, #6 and #7 seeds.

133: #4 seed Mike Mormile finished in 6th place. After beating a series of unseeded wrestlers in the wrestlebacks, he lost to an unseeded wrestler in the 7th Round and ended up facing the #3 seed in the 5th place match, losing 6-0.

Nick Bridge was pinned in his 4th Round wrestleback match to start the day and was eliminated.

149: I don't whether the match went poorly or if he slept in a bad position, but Keith Dickey was a medical forfeit in his QF match and the subsequent wrestleback round.

157: #1 seed Dustin Mannotti is in the finals. He defeated the #8 seed 8-1 in the QF and followed it with a 7-0 win over the #5 seed (#17 nationally). He will face the #2 seed (and #11 ranked) CP Schlatter of Minnesota in the final.

165: #5 seed Steve Anceravage finished in 2d place. He defeated the #4 seed (and #9 ranked) 4-2 in the QF and followed it with an 8-6 win over an unseeded wrestler. In the finals, he lost to #2 seed (and #4 ranked) Matt Pell of Missouri 12-7.

Unseeded John Cholish finished in 4th place. After losing to eventual champion Pell 7-2 in the QF, he won three wrestleback matches, including wins over the #8 and #6 wrestlers in the weight class before falling to #3 seed (#14 ranked) Matt Nagel of Minnesota, 10-2.

174: Unseeded Luke Hogle finished in 7th place. He won three matches in the wrestlebacks, including wins over the #8 and #5 seeds, before losing again. After his loss he rebounded to win the 7th place match 11-2 over unseeded Aaron miller of Kent State.

184: #1 seed Joe Mazzurco sufferred the same fate as Keith Dickey at 149. Is there a Pizza Hut in Greensboro?

197: #1 seed Jerry Rinaldi is in the finals. He defeated the #8 seed 4-0 in the QF and followed up with a 7-5 win over the #5 seed in the SF. He will face the #3 seed (#18 ranked) Ryan Goodman of NC State in the finals.

285: Unseeded Jason Manross won two more wrestleback matches before falling to the #8 seed. The record of the match says "DE (3:45)" - a little help?

Edited to add Luke Hogle's excellent day 2 results. I misread my own day 1 recap, so I didn't remember that we had anyone wrestling at 174 on Day 2. Good work, Luke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 05:56PM by ugarte.

Re: Southern Scuffle, Day 2 (So far)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:59PM

Dickey was the victim of a head butt. He was losing the match at the time it occurred. No word on what happened to Mazzurco.

Nickerson won the championship, 13-5, over a kid from Kent State. Nothing posted yet on Manotti, Anceravage, or Rinaldi.

Date: December 30, 2005 09:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Dickey was the victim of a head butt. He was losing the match at the time it occurred. No word on what happened to Mazzurco.

Nickerson won the championship, 13-5, over a kid from Kent State. Nothing posted yet on Manotti, Anceravage, or Rinaldi.
Manotti a big win over Minny's C.P. Schlatter. Rinaldi nips a guy from NC State. Anceravage loses to Missouri's Matt Pell, but still a really strong tournament for him. Don't know team scores yet.

Date: December 30, 2005 09:49PM

ugarte
125: #1 seed Troy Nickerson ... will face unseeded Chad Sportelli of Kent State
Nickerson cruises, 13-5!

[q]157: #1 seed Dustin Mannotti ... will face the #2 seed (and #11 ranked) CP Schlatter of Minnesota in the final.[/q] 4-1 win for Manotti!

[q]197: #1 seed Jerry Rinaldi ... will face the #3 seed (#18 ranked) Ryan Goodman of NC State in the finals.[/q] Rinaldi wins 8-7 in a tiebreak!

------------

3 Champions (125, 157, 197), 1 second (165), 1 fourth (165), 1 sixth (133), 1 seventh (174). Two other wrestlers (including the top seed at 184) were doing very well until getting injured. This is looking like it might be a very good year for Cornell.

Thanks, Al, for the injury update on Dickey. Still no team results.

Edited to add a reference to Luke Hogle's 7th place finish at 174 and add weight classes to the recap paragraph.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 06:00PM by ugarte.

Date: December 30, 2005 11:29PM

Cornell finished third with 131 points (three champions), behind Minnesota (192 points and three champions) and Missouri (149 and two champions). The injuries to Dickey and Mazzurco may have cost us second place, although Lehigh also suffered two injuries and had two other wrestlers not able to compete.

Date: December 30, 2005 11:57PM

Al DeFlorio
Cornell finished third with 131 points (three champions), behind Minnesota (192 points and three champions) and Missouri (149 and two champions). The injuries to Dickey and Mazzurco may have cost us second place, although Lehigh also suffered two injuries and had two other wrestlers not able to compete.
And one of Lehigh's injuries was to #1 seed Troy Letters. I was finally able to find a full team scoreboard here. Our score also doesn't include John Cholish's excellent 4th place finish because only one wrestler per weight class counts in the team score (though I assume other schools had the same issue).

Two final notes: Tyler Shovlin '05, now wrestling for UNCG, finished in 6th place at 174. The Outstanding wrestler award went to Hwt. Cole Konrad of Minnesota: 5 pins in his 6 matches.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2005 12:14AM by ugarte.

Date: December 31, 2005 12:58PM

Ugarte, if you can extricate yourself from the office in time, the dual meet against Michigan is 6pm, Tuesday, at the New York Athletic Club.

Posted by: Andy'07 (---.fltg.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 02:15PM

I had the webcast going for this tournament so I'll comment on how some of the matches went for those who are interested.

Nickerson was winning by a sizeable score in the semis before pinning Devoe who ended up finishing third. Devoe had a sloppy shot, and Nickerson caught him in a cradle while they were almost still on their feet, and the matched ended within 10 seconds. In the finals Nickerson took down Sportelli almost at will, but then was caught in a cradle during the second period, but Sportelli couldn't make anything out of it and a stalemate was called, which I thought was somewhat fortunate for Troy. This was the first time he looked at all close to trouble the entire tournament, or this season I believe. Not as dominant as in Vegas, but you can't complain about an undefeated freshman whose closest match of the season was 3-0.

Anceravage wrestled Pell tough in the finals for the first period, the score was tied after one. Then pell took over, scoring back points twice to put the match out of reach. Ancerevage seemed to have a lot of high scoring matches during this tournament, which seems to indicate he can take his opponent down, but then returns the favor, as was the case with Pell in the 1st. Still a very strong performance to finish second.

Manotti looked very strong throughout, the final wasn't as close as the 4-1 score. Schlatter never troubled him the whole match, and Manotti almost looked nonchalant. This was the same result as last year though so I assume Manotti knew he could win.

Rinaldi is hard to watch. He never really seems to dominate a match, but his results speak for themself, though he was lucky to win this one. The final was easily the most exciting match of the night, and it entered OT tied 5-5, but with Rinaldi trailing riding time by :58, so he was 2 seconds from losing in regular time. There was no action in the first OT, so then each wrestler took turns on bottom. Rinaldi escaped in the first period to go up 6-5, then needing to hold the NC state kid to win. However, he allowed a reversal to go down 7-6, only to reverse him back and win 8-7 with just a few seconds left in the match.

Other matches of note:

Konrad, the HWT from Minnesota looked unstoppable, scoring a pin in the finals in the first couple minutes. I assume a lot of guys in the 285 class don't weigh anywhere near that, and he looked like he had at least 25 pounds on Garrett in the final.

Dustin Schlatter, also from minnesota won at 149 by the score of 1-0 on riding time, after winning 16-0 in the semis, he and nickerson were probably considered the two best recruits in the nation this past year.

Shawn Bunch ,who won at 133, was the guy Travis Lee beat in the NCAA finals last year, avenging a loss earlier in the season. He looks great this year.

Well thats all, looking forward to seeing some of the duals; on campus next semester, and wishing I could see the one against Michigan on tuesday.

Date: December 31, 2005 02:25PM

ugarte
And one of Lehigh's injuries was to #1 seed Troy Letters.
Apparently a pinched nerve for Letters. Said to be "out for some time." Cornell's dual with Lehigh is January 22.

Date: December 31, 2005 04:49PM

Al DeFlorio
Ugarte, if you can extricate yourself from the office in time, the dual meet against Michigan is 6pm, Tuesday, at the New York Athletic Club.
It is tricky - I may have some airport pickup duty - but I've been thinking about it. Can you figure out how much tickets cost? I've tried searching for the info but no luck. The NYAC doesn't even acknowledge the game.

Date: December 31, 2005 05:03PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
It is tricky - I may have some airport pickup duty - but I've been thinking about it. Can you figure out how much tickets cost? I've tried searching for the info but no luck. The NYAC doesn't even acknowledge the game.
Don't know about tickets, but the Michigan web site says you have to meet the NYAC dress code: sports jacket with collared shirt or turtleneck and no jeans or sneakers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2005 05:04PM by Al DeFlorio.

Cornell v. Michigan Tomorrow
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.19.204.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:40PM

Anyone care to explain why Cornell is sponsoring free audio for the match tomorrow? Or for that matter why the match is at the NY athletic club (sport coat required for admission) and not the state of the art, dual meets only, facility in Ithaca? I hope Cornell isn't paying big money (or any money) to rent the space for this.

Re: Cornell v. Michigan Tomorrow
Date: January 03, 2006 12:05AM

Chris '03
Or for that matter why the match is at the NY athletic club (sport coat required for admission) and not the state of the art, dual meets only, facility in Ithaca?.
It wouldn't surprise me if the guy whose name is on that "state of the art...facility" is a member of the NYAC.

Cornell-Michigan
Date: January 03, 2006 06:20PM

125 Nickerson wins 22-9 over Watts with 11 takedowns; all Michigan points on releases; 4-0
133 Mormile 9-4 over Moos, who is ranked in top 15; 7-0
141 Easter loses by tech fall (16-1) to #5 Josh Churella; 7-5
149 Dickey loses 7-5 in OT to #4 Tannenbaum (Dickey wrestled the OT injured); 7-8
157 Manotti 12-5 over Marsh (just missing bonus point); 10-8
165 Anceravage loses to #1 Ryan Churella,13-3 major decision; 10-12
174 Hogle loses to Roy 9-3; 10-15
184 Miracola loses to Todd 9-3; 10-18
197 Rinaldi 6-3 over White; 13-18
285 Hammond pinned by #3 Wagner, 2:26; 13-24

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2006 08:22PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: January 03, 2006 07:24PM

Al - are you listening? How? I can't get anything when I click on the Takedown feed.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2006 07:26PM by ugarte.

Date: January 03, 2006 07:43PM

Miracola wrestling for injured Mazzurco at 184 tonight.

Date: January 03, 2006 07:49PM

Al DeFlorio
Miracola wrestling for injured Mazzurco at 184 tonight.
Ugh.

Date: January 03, 2006 07:50PM

We're dead, ugarte. Michigan's heavyweight is #3 and that's a weak weight for us right now.

Date: January 03, 2006 08:04PM

Al DeFlorio
We're dead, ugarte. Michigan's heavyweight is #3 and that's a weak weight for us right now.
I know. I'd like to see Rinaldi get a major decision here, but he appears to be more enough-to-win than blowout. And we can always win Hwt. by medical forfeit if Manross gets a hard takedown...

Date: January 03, 2006 08:09PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
I know. I'd like to see Rinaldi get a major decision here, but he appears to be more enough-to-win than blowout. And we can always win Hwt. by medical forfeit if Manross gets a hard takedown...
You're right about Rinaldi. He seems to know how to win but almost never dominates.

Dickey wrestled a great match against a highly-ranked kid, but apparently injured his leg just as the third period ended, and was pretty much a sitting duck in OT. Anceravage injured a shoulder in his match with Ryan Churella. We could be hurting if they join Mazzurco on the injured list.

Nickerson just used Watts as a yo-yo, taking him down, letting him up, ad nauseam.

Re: Cornell-Michigan pictures...
Date: January 04, 2006 06:19PM

...are here: [www.amateurwrestlingphotos.com]

New unis get no bonus points from me, especially the who-needs-'em bears on chest and back. yark

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:08PM

Al DeFlorio
New unis get no bonus points from me, especially the who-needs-'em bears on chest and back. yark

Holy crap, they actually put Huggy Bear on the uniform? yark "This jersey sponsored by Cornell Athletics. No, fuck you."

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.17.80.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:20PM

jtwcornell91
Al DeFlorio

Holy crap, they actually put Huggy Bear on the uniform? yark "This jersey sponsored by Cornell Athletics. No, fuck you."

The huggy bear is on a few unis now... just not like that. It's been on hoops shorts for a while and I think it's been on the legs of wrestling unis as well.

I don't think "abomination" is a strong enough word for these. The combine both athletics logos in ugly ways. What is wrong all red with a white C? Are they going to write "Cornell" over the ass too? Maybe plaster Andy Noel's face to some part of it or sell ad space? Then on top of the logo issues, the weird red/white legs with solid red top... I cannot think of an uglier Cornell uniform in use now or in the 7 years since I've paid any attention.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:44PM

I think it is bad that they aren't actually singlets. It is wrestling, they should be wearing singlets, not something with sleeves.

Date: January 05, 2006 12:41AM

Jacob '06
I think it is bad that they aren't actually singlets. It is wrestling, they should be wearing singlets, not something with sleeves.
Right. They look like they should be doing floor exercises in gymnastics.

Date: January 05, 2006 08:25AM

Al DeFlorio
Jacob '06
They look like they forgot to remove their warm-ups.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 09:04AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jacob '06
They look like they forgot to remove their warm-ups.
I don't really have anything to add to this, but I wanted to throw in my vote for singlets, preferably as simple and classic as the hockey unis.

CSTV will show the Cornell vs. Michigan wrestling replay
Date: January 07, 2006 06:26PM

The show is Saturday the 7th at 9:30 pm. I think it runs for three hours.

Re: CSTV will show the Cornell vs. Michigan wrestling replay
Date: January 07, 2006 06:44PM

marty
The show is Saturday the 7th at 9:30 pm. I think it runs for three hours.
The first five matches are..well..more enjoyable to watch. And don't miss the opener if you want to see the original subject of this thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login