Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Quinnipiac postgame

Posted by ugarte 
Cornell - Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:33PM

OK, so apparently I can refrain from posting the final score on the list page. Enjoy the tension of the sparse game thread.

First time I've seen Cornell play this year and man were they choppy. The Red couldn't get it together on the PP. Q pressed the point men and Cornell didn't try to get it inside the open space. I watched the Q goal a bunch of times and I'm still not entirely sure what happpened. The best I can figure is that it skipped up off of McKee's pad and into the net. A little soft, but not really soft. I don't have much to say about Cornell either way, though.

Mostly I just want to congratulate Q on a hell of a game. I was impressed with them and since they are apparently a young team, they are going to climb the ladder in the ECAC over the next few years. I feel bad for Fisher - it looked like he was knocked down right before McCutcheon slowly slid the puck underneath him to win the game.

Cornell 2, Quinnipiac 1 and that, in the end is all that matters. Let's Go Red!

Re: Cornell - Quinnipiac postgame
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:37PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

I feel bad for Fisher - it looked like he was knocked down right before McCutcheon slowly slid the puck underneath him to win the game.[/q]

I think that was from his own teammate dumping a Cornell player in front of the net.

Date: December 03, 2005 08:38PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

I feel bad for Fisher - it looked like he was knocked down right before McCutcheon slowly slid the puck underneath him to win the game.[/Q]
I think that was from his own teammate dumping a Cornell player in front of the net.[/q]
I think so too - it still sucks for the goalie. He played a great game.

Posted by: kate (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:39PM

they should start calling that kid 'cutch in the clutch'

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:41PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
The best I can figure is that it skipped up off of McKee's pad and into the net. A little soft, but not really soft.[/Q]

According to the tv guys, it was batted out of the air. Not sure if that's true, but it would explain it.

[Q]Mostly I just want to congratulate Q on a hell of a game. I was impressed with them and since they are apparently a young team, they are going to climb the ladder in the ECAC over the next few years. I feel bad for Fisher - it looked like he was knocked down right before McCutcheon slowly slid the puck underneath him to win the game.[/Q]

Amen.

And he was, I understand his complaint, although I don't know the letter of the rule. Reminds we of the Clarkson game at Lynah a couple season ago where we won late and the goalie was upset. Hard for the ref to see real time, but being upset is understandable.

Date: December 03, 2005 08:42PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

I feel bad for Fisher - it looked like he was knocked down right before McCutcheon slowly slid the puck underneath him to win the game.[/Q]
I think that was from his own teammate dumping a Cornell player in front of the net.[/Q]
I think so too - it still sucks for the goalie. He played a great game.[/q]

I watched the replay several times, it wasn't easy to see, but I don't think it was his own player. Just crashing the net, a bit more literally than you technically should.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:43PM

Quinnipiac has a lot more creativity and speed on offense than we do. They made some beautiful passes and had a lot of great opportunities. The defense and McKee actually kept us in a game that we were outplayed for the first time this season. I think we had almost as many blocked shots as Quinnipiac had shots on goal in that game.

It would be nice if our power play units could get something together this year. All the first unit has is the Topher to Moulson to O'byrne for the big slap shot play, no plays down low. (although the first goal was scored down low off a rebound). The second unit is just horrendous. They can never get the puck in the offensive zone, and when they manage to do that all that happens is seminoff and pokulok pass it back and forth. We need more offensive creativity.

Quinnipiac definitely looked like they were playing for the tie in the last 10 minutes of the game, and I think it came back to haunt them with that goal we got at the end. I'd be interested to see how many shots they had in the last 10 minutes compared to the rest of the game. I'd be surprised if its more than say 2 shots.

Date: December 03, 2005 08:45PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
According to the tv guys, it was batted out of the air. Not sure if that's true, but it would explain it.[/q]That was the assumption from the initial scoring decision, but they changed the scoring.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:52PM

Kudos to McKee for some very nice saves in dangerous situations.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:02PM

You know, we could have played alot better, but we also we're able to keep it up and get at it enough to win in a game we could have lost.

Mostly, though, this erases any thought in my mind that Q will be a pushover this year (after Cashman leaves, then it's another question).

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:12PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
The best I can figure is that it skipped up off of McKee's pad and into the net. A little soft, but not really soft.[/q]

Yea the puck kinda SIEVED through mckee's pad. I was surprised it only happened once tonight.

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:28PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:
I'd be interested to see how many shots they had in the last 10 minutes compared to the rest of the game. I'd be surprised if its more than say 2 shots. [/q]
yeah, but in the whole first period they only had 4 or 6 (i believe)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:33PM

[Q]LynahFaithfulS Wrote:

Jacob '06 Wrote:
I'd be interested to see how many shots they had in the last 10 minutes compared to the rest of the game. I'd be surprised if its more than say 2 shots. [/Q]
yeah, but in the whole first period they only had 4 or 6 (i believe)[/q]
Q had 6...while we managed 4.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:44PM

Replay of the first goal appeared to show a beautiful deflection or redirection by Moulson.

At least because of the NESN feed, Web-feed viewers finally got to see replays. A lot of time, you figure whoever has his stick up soonest and highest must have scored.

Posted by: mjc (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:49PM

If anyone Tivoed or DVRed the game is there any way we can get highlights posted somewhere? I know its been done in the past.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.18.229.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:33PM

Except for a few stretches in the 3rd period, Cornell was clearly outplayed. Just had no offensive presence for much of the game. Q had more energy and always seemed to be where they needed to be. We're lucky not to have given up a goal in the 1st. McKee was fairly solid; I don't think the goal was stoppable - it was basically batted out of the air.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:44PM

isn't it a sign of a good team when they get outplayed but still manage to get the W?

Date: December 03, 2005 10:54PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Replay of the first goal appeared to show a beautiful deflection or redirection by Moulson.

At least because of the NESN feed, Web-feed viewers finally got to see replays. A lot of time, you figure whoever has his stick up soonest and highest must have scored. [/q]
Watching the replay of the save on Cam Abbott's shorthanded attempt late in the third, it appears his shot was stopped by Fisher, but Cam then centered it back out in front and McCutcheon then lifted it over Fisher. It looks to me like a Quinnipiac defenseman, wearing #2, batted the puck away with his stick just as it was going in, with the puck about 18" above the ice. Pretty amazing "save" if that's what really happened.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:19PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Replay of the first goal appeared to show a beautiful deflection or redirection by Moulson. [/q]

Granted my view from Section C, almost on the aisle with D, was not great, but from where I sat it looked like Scott made a beautiful pass from behind the goal line to Moulson right at the goal mouth, and Moulson just tapped it home.

Is that really not what happened?
Andy W.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:24PM

Terrible first period, down there with the second period against MSU and the second period against Dartmouth. That Quinnipiac team REALLY impressed me. Very little talent after Cashman but they really beat Cornell in every facet of the game in the first forty minutes. Another excellent outing for O'Byrne and Salmela on the backline with another miserable outing for Krantz and Pokuluk. Team played hard in the third period. I really like how this one ended up and it reminded me a lot of the game at Union last year which in my opinion was the turning point of the season. I think McKee played his best game of the season tonight, although he was not tested much.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:24PM

It seems that we only REALLY come to play in the third period this year (and last year too, for that matter). In every single game this year (well except Dartmouth) I think our guys clearly elevate their play in the third- the difference in intensity is very noticable. I just wish they could play like that for a FULL 60 minutes!

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:26PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:
The best I can figure is that it skipped up off of McKee's pad and into the net. A little soft, but not really soft.[/Q]
According to the tv guys, it was batted out of the air. Not sure if that's true, but it would explain it.
[/q]

Yeah, they had a good replay of it. It looked like the puck was going to go wide on the left side but the Q player picked it out of the air and slammed it in the top corner. Looked more like a Lacrosse goal than anything I've seen in hockey.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:40PM

[Q]Yeah, they had a good replay of it. It looked like the puck was going to go wide on the left side but the Q player picked it out of the air and slammed it in the top corner. Looked more like a Lacrosse goal than anything I've seen in hockey.[/q]

More than the Mike Legg goal? [www.dangerouslogic.com]

Kyle

Posted by: Pace (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 12:47AM

Great to finally get a sweep at home. That said, I don't think we played that well either night.

Thoughts:

- I am happy with McKee. It's not the McKee of last year, but it's a vast improvement over his play thus far. He seems to be getting his confidence back and is making big saves.

- I really like Seminoff. He seems to have figured out how to play D without getting a tonne of penalties. Both yesterday and tonight he did a great job of getting in the way of shots and made some sweet passes.

- Also really like Salmela, he looked solid.

- Hats off to McCutcheon. He's really on a roll after that ENG earlier in the season. He's working his butt of this season so it's nice to see it finally pay off.

- What's with Sasha? I'm sorta used to O'Byrne fumbling the puck at the point, but Sasha? He just generally seems to be asleep. I hope he's not just half-assing it because he already got drafted.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 12:57AM

How was that Mike Legg goal not a high-stick?
Andy W.

Date: December 04, 2005 01:06AM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

Andy W.[/q]

High stick = above the cross bar

Of course, it's now illegal, but it wasn't then.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 02:10AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:

Andy W.[/Q]

Of course, it's now illegal, but it wasn't then.[/q]

What is the rule that makes it illegal? Did they add something like you can't carry the puck on your stick off the ground?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 02:30AM

I don't think we looked that bad at any period this game.

Quinnipiac was much faster than us. Much faster. But by the third period, we wore them down with our physical play, they got tired, and we had the upper hand. Which is what should happen.

We looked very slow, but I'm starting to think we're simply not a very fast team.

Pokuluk looked especially sluggish. I didn't think Salmela looked particularly amazing, either. And Davenport continues to turn the puck over more than I'd like, and get beaten on breakaways. I'd rather have Glover.

Moulson looked very good. He scored a goal, but looked solid other than scoring, which he hasn't many games this year. McCutcheon had a great game, which is starting to become a trend. Carefoot and Pegoraro weren't as impressive as they've been lately, but Carefoot's coming off an injury, and Pegoraro's goal last night was amazing enough to ensure a good weekend. McKee also had a very solid game, and looked as if he had some confidence back.

Overall, we played a tough game, and we won. Good job.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 03:08AM

I sit in A and had a pretty good view... it was batted out of the air, but i think it bounced off mckees pads first and it wasn't redirected cleanly... just happened to bounce off his stick in the right direction

Date: December 04, 2005 07:01AM

[Q]Cactus12 Wrote:

I sit in A and had a pretty good view... it was batted out of the air, but i think it bounced off mckees pads first and it wasn't redirected cleanly... just happened to bounce off his stick in the right direction[/q]
The game story at cornellbigred describes the goal like this: "Cashman sent it back to Van Vliet in the right faceoff circle, where he fired a low shot that McKee appeared to save. He got his stick on the puck, which deflected it over his right shoulder. It hit the goal at the intersection of the cross bar and the left pipe and ricocheted in for the game's first goal."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 08:07AM

The USCHO story[www.uscho.com] again shows what a class act Schafer is.[Q]“The first period was probably one of the worst periods of hockey that this town and university has seen in some time. It was embarrassing,” said Schaffer. “They out-competed us in the first period.
“Our alumni, our fans, our university, all they ask is that you come out ready to compete. We didn’t do that.”[/Q][Q]“The five-on-three was really disappointing. I take responsibility,” said Schaffer. “I should have called a timeout."[/Q]Even if they can't spell his name correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2005 08:12AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 09:09AM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote: isn't it a sign of a good team when they get outplayed but still manage to get the W?[/q]In any one game, it's probably more that's the odds falling your way this time. Over the course of the season, then the mark of a good team is that it wins the majority of the close wins. Or maybe I have it backwards: The team that wins the majority of its close games is a good team.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 09:24AM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

The USCHO story again shows what a class act Schafer is.
“The first period was probably one of the worst periods of hockey that this town and university has seen in some time. It was embarrassing,” said Schaffer. “They out-competed us in the first period.
“Our alumni, our fans, our university, all they ask is that you come out ready to compete. We didn’t do that.”[/Q]
“The five-on-three was really disappointing. I take responsibility,” said Schaffer. “I should have called a timeout."[/Q]
Even if they can't spell his name correctly.[/q]

I agree with schafer on that. I don't know who was counting shots in the first but I'm thinking quite a few more than 6 made it through to McKee. Too many times in our defensive end I saw our guys running around from missed assignments, not something I'm used to from a schafer squad. McKee deserves major credit because without him we wouldn't have survived the first.

While watching the first I was thinking that Q looked a lot like cornell teams of the past, get it deep and FIGHT it out in the corners. I was very impressed with how well they played their game, we were lucky to come out with a win.

Re: Cornell - Quinnipiac postgame -how did the last goal go in?
Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: December 04, 2005 10:04AM

From where i was it looked like a Q guy was trying to cover the puck in front of the net without taking a delay penalty and that he ended up hand passing it into his own net or at least passing it back to where someone else put it in (i never saw McCutcheson touch it). At the very least it looked like the Q guy deserved the unnoficial assist on it.

Did anyone get a clear look of what happened and can someone give a quick play by play on it?

Date: December 04, 2005 10:24AM

[Q]WillR Wrote:

From where i was it looked like a Q guy was trying to cover the puck in front of the net without taking a delay penalty and that he ended up hand passing it into his own net or at least passing it back to where someone else put it in (i never saw McCutcheson touch it). At the very least it looked like the Q guy deserved the unnoficial assist on it.

Did anyone get a clear look of what happened and can someone give a quick play by play on it?
[/q]
It's hard to tell from the angle used for the replay. At times it does look to me like the defender tried to cover it and instead pushed it behind and under the goalie. I really can't tell if McCutcheon hit it with his stick. Perhaps his stick hit the defender's hand causing the hand to push the puck rather than just cover it.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.n)
Date: December 04, 2005 10:27AM

McCutcheon certainly made the motion of shooting, but I agree that it is very hard to tell if he actually makes contact with the puck.

Date: December 04, 2005 11:33AM

Instead of a lot of posts, and to the consternation of the threaded view fans, here are a bunch of responses at once.
[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
The game story at cornellbigred describes the goal like this: "Cashman sent it back to Van Vliet in the right faceoff circle, where he fired a low shot that McKee appeared to save. He got his stick on the puck, which deflected it over his right shoulder. It hit the goal at the intersection of the cross bar and the left pipe and ricocheted in for the game's first goal."[/q]
That is exactly right. The other Q player swiped at where the puck would have been if it wasn't already going in. It led to a lot of confusion in the booth. Not that NESN would have gotten the graphic right anyway.

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote: Replay of the first goal appeared to show a beautiful deflection or redirection by Moulson. [/Q]
Granted my view from Section C, almost on the aisle with D, was not great, but from where I sat it looked like Scott made a beautiful pass from behind the goal line to Moulson right at the goal mouth, and Moulson just tapped it home. Is that really not what happened?[/q]
Andy: You and Bill are using different terminology to say the same thing. Moulson redirected Scott's pass. In other words, he didn't wind up and shoot or flick a wrister. He just put his stick on the ice and slid it between Fisher's pads.

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:Watching the replay of the save on Cam Abbott's shorthanded attempt late in the third, it appears his shot was stopped by Fisher, but Cam then centered it back out in front and McCutcheon then lifted it over Fisher. It looks to me like a Quinnipiac defenseman, wearing #2, batted the puck away with his stick just as it was going in, with the puck about 18" above the ice. Pretty amazing "save" if that's what really happened. [/q] I didn't see that. I didn't think that McC didn't lift it over Fisher. If it was batted by a d-man, wouldn't the play have continued? I don't know how the d-man would have batted it to Fisher, who had his back to the goal line. It was a flurry of excellent goaltending and unlucky shooting.

[Q]Robb Wrote:
McCutcheon certainly made the motion of shooting, but I agree that it is very hard to tell if he actually makes contact with the puck. [/q]I dunno. It looked clear to me that he poked it and it started accelerating. If the defender was trying to slide the puck to a goalie that wasn't looking in the direction of an otherwise empty net it ranks among the worst plays in hockey history.
[Q]“The five-on-three was really disappointing. I take responsibility,” said Schaffer. “I should have called a timeout."[/q]Amusing. Right before the 5-on-3 you can read Schafer's lips as he says to the referee "No. No, I don't want a time out."

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote: That Quinnipiac team REALLY impressed me. Very little talent after Cashman but they really beat Cornell in every facet of the game in the first forty minutes. [/q]I'm not sure how the boldface part fits in with what you think and what I saw. Marshall was a playmaker, and Walsh had some playmaker in him too. Henningson, Sorteberg and Barnych were great at keeping the puck along the boards and breaking up plays. There is more talent at Q than you are crediting them for.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 11:51AM

[Q]duffs4 Wrote:
While watching the first I was thinking that Q looked a lot like cornell teams of the past, get it deep and FIGHT it out in the corners. I was very impressed with how well they played their game, we were lucky to come out with a win.

[/q]

That was our comment too while watching the game. They were playing our game, and better than we were, in the first period at least.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: December 04, 2005 11:58AM

[Q]That was our comment too while watching the game. They were playing our game, and better than we were, in the first period at least.[/q]

I said the same thing in chat. They were grinding us along the boards in their defensive zone just like I remember our guys being able to do. :)

Kyle

Date: December 04, 2005 12:34PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:

Andy W.[/Q]

Of course, it's now illegal, but it wasn't then.[/Q]
What is the rule that makes it illegal? Did they add something like you can't carry the puck on your stick off the ground?[/q]

Assuming no one answered this yet... yeah, pretty much. 'No carrying the puck on your stick'

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 12:46PM

Adam - from N row 7 w/ good view, Topher made a great pass right onto Moulson's stick who snapped it home - Q. D were trying to tie up everyone in red zone all night and were pretty good on doing it this time Mouslon was strong and quick!
edit: maybe snap is wrong verb - redirected would be more accurate ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2005 12:53PM by profudge.

Date: December 04, 2005 01:03PM

Alright, I pulled up my TiVo for some reviews of the goals.

I definitely agree with the recap's version of the Q goal. The save came off McKee's pad, deflected up, and hit 0.1 inches inside the far post. There was a Q stick right there trying to wack it home, but he missed and it wasn't needed anyway. Honestly, watching that, it looks soft to me. Deflecting pucks away in the right direction is one of the more basic goalie skills. Now McKee had a good night and made a number of good saves... and anyone can make mistakes sometimes... but it still makes it soft.

If anyone has it recored, watched the All Access archive, or catches it on NESN, the angel from behind show it best.

Not at all to take away from the fact that Q outplayed us for pretty much all of the first and probably most of the game. But maybe McKee is really getting back to form, other than that one slip up.

Frist Cornell goal: I think the term 'redirection' is usually reserved for a 'shot' being redirected. Topher's pass was clearly a pass, since it game from the back wall just off from the goal. However, I also see that it wasn't so much a 'shot' from Moulson, as a 'tapper', which could also be called a redirection... so, whatever ;). Scott passed it from the back boards into the crease and Moulson tapped/redirected it through the goalies legs.

Btw, shows my it maybe to have more moves on the PP than just the old pass and shoot from the point.

Heh, in fact, even Rich Coppola (color guy) called it a redirection, so whatever :-P

Abbott's SH attempt: Holy hell, I think you're right, although you can't tell for sure.

Great deke by Abbott, but Fisher gets his glove it on for a great save. The puck comes behind the net briefly as Abbott is going there, he centers it back out front, ends up on McCutcheons stick who DEFINITELY lifts it over Fisher. And then it... yeah... it definitely comes back down into Fisher's gloves as he's laying on his stomach facing backwards, but there was a distinct redirection in the air. Which could ENTIRELY be from the D's stick, or from the post, or both. Either way, we had who incredibly chances on that sequence, not just one.

And the more I watch it, the more I think it was the D's stick. I repeat, holy hell.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 01:07PM

In general I thought we did not play real badly except for being asleep and not moving our feet so Q (who came out flying) just totally outplayed us in 1st.
We picked it up in second and played really well in third.... But I felt lucky on the scramble and goal, McCutcheon deserved it He hustled and played really well all night. I like that several times when Q was threatening to have 3-2 or 4-2 breakouts, it was players like Moulson or Carefoot or Pegoraro who hustled and got back on defense to help out. Shot's were even over the whole game and what suprised me the most was how dangerous the Q powerplay could be once they set up in zone - - often switching to a box and one with one centerman in very high slot in middle and points a bit wider apart - Our p-k guys seemed to deal with it rather well but I do recall at leaast one maybe two Q' whiffs on half open sides of the net!

Salmela and Seminoff looked good on D. O'Byrne was pretty good also! We definitely miss Gleed and Glover in both size and steadying influence - as Q came with a fast aggressive fore-check. Very impressed by Reid Cashman good head and good hands accurate quick passes really played a lot of minutes for them. Topher hustled and did a great job with the puck low in the zone - We did come very close on several plays where we didn't quite get puck in the net but so did Q.... A very even game, could have gone either way.

Q is for real and think they will be a mid-pack to home playoff contender for this and next couple of years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2005 01:11PM by profudge.

Date: December 04, 2005 01:18PM

Oh yeah, our second goal:

I was thinking, no need to look at that, we know how it happened. But then I remembered there was some question.

So let's see... the Q defenseman goes down and tries to put his hands on the puck, but he's out of the crease. McC definitely swatted at it, and at the very least, his the D man's hands, if not the puck itself, knocking it into the net. So it was definitely his doing in my mind, whether or not direct contact was made.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 01:36PM

For those who need even more confirmation about the short handed non-goal by Cornell; we were on the goal line in Section O and the Q defenseman clearly batted the puck and stopped in from going into the net. A great play by him.

I agree that Q outskated us pretty much the first 40 min., they were clearly quicker and outhustled us in the corners. However, great character win for Cornell and hopefuly this will spur them on the Florida.

I think the best d-men last night were Seminoff and O'Byrne whereas Topher and Sawada played the best up front.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 01:52PM

I thought it bounced off a Quinnipiac stick but it may have been off the posts. Wasn't very pretty either way

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 03:09PM

Got back from Ithaca after my first game at Lynah in many years. While I was in the corner in Section K (and did not get a good view of any of the goals), here's my two cents:

1. At this point we are nowhere near the team we need to be to contend for anything more than the ECACHL title (and maybe not even for that). Our passing was sloppy (the ice seemed terrible to me -- a real embarrassment for a top-flight program), and Q effectively pinched at every turn, or stood us up at the red line. We had no one creative enough (save possibly for McCutcheon) to make a play at the blue line.

2. I agree with the previous player evaluations -- Pokoluk and Krantz were weak, while the other D played well. McKee looked confident. No one has mentioned it, but I thought Bitz had a poor game, and Sawada didn't do much. I thought Scott, McCutcheon and Moulson were our best forwards.

3. I had a great view of Q hitting the crossbar just after we tied the score. Off of an excellent forecheck (a common theme for the evening) Q stole the puck and someone got a shot off in the slot. McKee got a piece, and it flipped up and skittered off the crossbar into the corner. A very scary moment, but from that point forward Q sort of sat back and seemed to play for the tie, which is fortunate for us.

4. My biggest concern coming out of this game is the lack of an obvious scoring threat after Moulson. We have a lot of grinders, obviously, but the absence of a finisher may well doom us. Q clearly has a similar limitation, but that is to be expected at this point.

5. I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought the crowd was as boisterous (if not more so) than I remember from the early 80's).

6. As the game ended, the Cornell players were incredibly excited as they mobbed McKee (almost as if they were the underdog having pulled off the upset). I'm sure some of that was relief at having overcome a big obstacle, as well as the good feeling of heading into break off of 4 straight wins.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 05:06PM

I thought Salmela played a particularly strong game on Saturday. I have been at least a moderate fan every time he has played any significant time, but I was even more impressed this weekend. His defensive zone coverage is at least adequate, and he doesn't make the mistakes that I have seen from the other defensemen. His greatest asset, however, was the spark he gave the team offensively. I can remember at least 2 or 3 rushes into the Q zone during which he brought the puck in with good speed and drew defenders with him. He was solid with the puck and I think he deserves more credit than we're giving him. At the very least, it's a good sign for an apparently injury-plagued defense.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: December 04, 2005 07:06PM

[Q]scoop85 Wrote:

2. I agree with the previous player evaluations -- Pokoluk and Krantz were weak, while the other D played well. McKee looked confident. No one has mentioned it, but I thought Bitz had a poor game, and Sawada didn't do much. I thought Scott, McCutcheon and Moulson were our best forwards.

[/q]

I think the reason nobody has mentioned Bitz playing poorly is because quite honestly that has been the norm. The guy is very overrated by the coaching staff IMO. I like him as a third line winger, not as a first line center. Somehow he consistnetly manages to get knocked off the puck by players half his size.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 12:02PM

I was listening to the 1997 Live at Lynah CD on the way home from watching the game. As many of you know, the disk includes radio commentary from the comeback win against Brown (Nov. 1997). Pete Tufford's color commentary at the beginning of that segment seemed particularly appropriate for this years team as well. I meant to transcribe a little, but the gist of it was that Cornell's strength is "wanting every puck", in other words working hard on every shift. During the first two periods of Saturday's game Quinnipiac outskated and outworked our guys consistently. Through large stretches guys weren't moving their feet and just didn't seem to be putting out the effort needed to get to every loose puck. Late in the game they turned it on and played with the intensity we have come to expect.

Talent alone is not enough to win ECAC championships, let alone to play in April.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 01:52PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
Pete Tufford's color commentary at the beginning of that segment seemed particularly appropriate for this years team as well. I meant to transcribe a little, but the gist of it was that Cornell's strength is "wanting every puck", in other words working hard on every shift. [/q]

My favorite part of the commentary is "the net to our empty is right." (sic) I'm sure they're glad that's immortalized on the CD...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 01:58PM

[q]My favorite part of the commentary is "the net to our empty is right." (sic) I'm sure they're glad that's immortalized on the CD...[/q]Yeah, that's classic. I break up laughing every time!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login