Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU vs. Princeton Post-game

Posted by mjh89 
CU vs. Princeton Post-game
Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:46PM

Wow. Princeton is a terrible team. They played decently in the 2nd period, but in the 1st period, they looked like a Midget Snowbelt team. Probably the worst period I have seen a team play in years. Cornell looked good, but again there were many careless turnovers on our end of the ice. If Cornell is going to be a good team, those turnovers need to be eliminated. Though Carefoot played a solid game, and that the abbotts looked better as well. Anyone see what happened with Princeton's goal? I wasn't even paying attention yet.

Re: CU vs. Princeton Post-game
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:48PM

yeah um McKee just well....yeah he tried to make a glove save on a wrist shot from just inside the blueline and it deflected off his glove and in. It was really really really soft. I felt bad for him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 09:50PM by redhair34.

Posted by: SUCKS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:56PM

MCKEE BLOWS!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:02PM

Saying it was a soft goal doesn't do it justice because a soft goal has to actually be a shot on net. This was a dump in and he caught it and dropped it in the net. It was worse than the goal Salo let up against Belarus. It was just horrendous. Luckily, Princeton only managed to get a shot on goal on one of their five or six odd-man rushes in the second period. They are awful. This was the most physical game Cornell has played all year. The Abbotts looked a lot better than they did last weekend. O'Byrne was excellent again. Cornell played very well but it doesn't take much against that team.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:03PM

Decent game by CU; although they are still plagued by defensive lapses that that you think would have been corrected by now. Princeton really is a terrible hockey team. Sawada played one of the better games that he has played this year and Carefoot looked solid in his return from injury. The rest of the team was decent and no one had a real terrible night. Krantz seems to have righted the ship insofar that he is not making the same hideous mistakes he was making in the first few weeks.

As for Section O, I am not sure who brought the Princeton ponchos but all the kids that were wearing them were from the North York Hockey team (and based on the opinion of the kids next to me, they did not care the least about Princeton). By the end of the game several of them seemed very proud of their newly purchased Cornell hockey shirts:-)

Date: December 02, 2005 10:03PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Wow. Princeton is a terrible team. They played decently in the 2nd period, but in the 1st period, they looked like a Midget Snowbelt team. Probably the worst period I have seen a team play in years. Cornell looked good, but again there were many careless turnovers on our end of the ice. If Cornell is going to be a good team, those turnovers need to be eliminated. Though Carefoot played a solid game, and that the abbotts looked better as well. Anyone see what happened with Princeton's goal? I wasn't even paying attention yet.[/q]

I agree with everything you said but I'm hoping things will get better in the turnover department when Gleed and Glover return. Krantz and Pokuluk continue to struggle mightily and were responsible for the bulk of the turnovers.

Posted by: SUCKS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:11PM

McKee still sucks though ... start CHABOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: December 02, 2005 10:15PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Saying it was a soft goal doesn't do it justice because a soft goal has to actually be a shot on net. This was a dump in and he caught it and dropped it in the net. It was worse than the goal Salo let up against Belarus. It was just horrendous. [/q]

I know. I was trying to downplay it. I feel for the guy.

Date: December 02, 2005 10:16PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:

Wow. Princeton is a terrible team. They played decently in the 2nd period, but in the 1st period, they looked like a Midget Snowbelt team. Probably the worst period I have seen a team play in years. Cornell looked good, but again there were many careless turnovers on our end of the ice. If Cornell is going to be a good team, those turnovers need to be eliminated. Though Carefoot played a solid game, and that the abbotts looked better as well. Anyone see what happened with Princeton's goal? I wasn't even paying attention yet.[/Q]
I agree with everything you said but I'm hoping things will get better in the turnover department when Gleed and Glover return. Krantz and Pokuluk continue to struggle mightily and were responsible for the bulk of the turnovers.[/q]

Krantz was especially bad in the first period. He got a pretty big toungue lashing from Scott Garrow after one of his worst turnovers deep in our zone.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:19PM

I remember watching Lenny do what sounds like the same thing against Brown in 2003. He dropped a puck into his net on a wrist shot from the blue line late in the third period. Cornell tied Brown that night 2-2.

IT happens.

Date: December 02, 2005 10:30PM

anyone else liking Salmela a lot? i think he's been very strong since coming in and dangerous offensively.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:43PM

Thoughts:

- Yes, that goal on McKee was horrible. He's got nobody to blame but himself for losing the shutout. That being said, McKee did seem to make a few amazing saves tonight, though he wasn't really challenged.
- Princeton might actually have a good team if they could learn to pass correctly.
- The Abbotts are back. Well, I'm of the opinion that Chris never left, but he still looked good and Cam looked much better than he did all of last weekend.
- Someone remind me again, why was Pokulok a first-round draft pick? Based on most of his performances thus far this season, I'm having a hard time seeing why.
- Great to see both offense and defense clicking at the same time in the first period. It seems like a rare treat this season to see both the offense and the defense show up in the same game.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:58PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

anyone else liking Salmela a lot? i think he's been very strong since coming in and dangerous offensively.[/q]

I agree. He's been impressive in most of his appearances thus far this season.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:11PM

from what i saw right behind mckee he just flat out missed it. not sure if thats any better than him dropping it in himself but...

Date: December 02, 2005 11:14PM

[Q]nr53 Wrote:

from what i saw right behind mckee he just flat out missed it. not sure if thats any better than him dropping it in himself but...[/q]

naw it deflected off his glove and in/caught it and dropped

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:12AM

I was very happy to see a return to the hard-hitting style we had tonight (Though I think Princeton's players had more to do with this than us). Let's hope we keep it up. It was definitely a large aspect of our success last year. LGR!

Posted by: PinkyGen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:24AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Thoughts:

- Yes, that goal on McKee was horrible. He's got nobody to blame but himself for losing the shutout. That being said, McKee did seem to make a few amazing saves tonight, though he wasn't really challenged.
[/q]

I agree. It was not an utterly dominating peformance, but it was 17 saves out of 18 shots, which is better than the past few weeks. Not super, but better.

(Albeit I listened on radio and couldn't see the quality of Princeton's shots).

Posted by: TwoLinePass15 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:15AM

I thought Pokulok looked much better last year (pre-injury) than in any game this year. Does anyone else think he may be playing a less physical game because of the first-round pick?

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:19AM

McKee was OK except for the fluke. There were two quality Princeton chances- one brakeaway and one nasty slop shot that he made a great save on. All I care about is that McKee plays well enough for us to win and he certainly did that tonight. I thought Krantz played better than I have remembered and that our PP was pretty good tonight.

Princeton is a terrible team but we played a good game. The team was clicking tonight. They just need to keep it up.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:37AM

I actually thought he was playing more physically the first few games of this year and that was definitely exciting. Unfortunately since his DQ that seems to have disappeared again. Oh well. I just hope he can play some good solid D and get that offensive game that we're all expecting in order. Right now, he's a disappointment for sure.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:40AM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:

As for Section O, I am not sure who brought the Princeton ponchos but all the kids that were wearing them were from the North York Hockey team (and based on the opinion of the kids next to me, they did not care the least about Princeton). By the end of the game several of them seemed very proud of their newly purchased Cornell hockey shirts[/q]

Speaking of youth teams, I saw a few kids wearing Notre Dame Hockey jackets around the back of section F. Could this have been the same Notre Dame that Gallagher plays for?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:41AM

Theres no way Krantz played better. There were at least 4 times that he bobbled the puck and turned it over breaking out from behind the net. Krantz and Pokulok both look terrible handling the puck. When Gleed and Glover get back, I would sit Krantz and Pokulok in that order. O'byrne is looking great.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:42AM

The goal McKee let up was just... yeah. It was that bad.

But he made three great saves, to my count, in the third period, and a good stop on a breakaway in the second. Other than the goal, McKee looked really good. There was one shot in the first period where he got beat to his left, but the shot went wide. But really, he looked solid.

I thought we looked great, but that could be Princeton's being terrible.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:07AM

[Q]SUCKS Wrote:

McKee still sucks though ... start CHABOT!!!!!!!!!!![/q]

Yeah, I agree. When I was a Division 1 goalie I never made a miscue.

Oh, wait not Div 1, that was intra-mural hockey wasn't it. No it was Pee-Wee. Oh crap, I remember now, I never played goalie in my Effen Life.

Maybe I need a little bit of a nip to get my head back, eh?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:38AM

Aside from the goal...I thought McKee looked great. He seemed to have his confidence back, and was making saves when he had to. It was also good to see him come out of the net and skate around during stoppages...for a while he was just sort of cowering in his net.

Posted by: jim (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:30PM

Actually what happened is it was a "knukle ball" type shot that hit the top of his glove, over his shoulder hit the post and went in. An unusual goal but very hard to handle

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 01:23PM

the ND kids were HS kids from Burlingtion Ontario.. down to play a couple of academies outside buffalo.. the coach has some connections with Coach/Natashac? etc from the mid 80's they will back again tonight.. he said noone on his team had talent to play at US Colleges.. Nice Guy.. said they had been there several times, but I dont recall them before. The kids loved the atmoshere.. they have been to Mich and many other places but he felt Lynah was the best..

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:36PM

[Q]upprdeck Wrote:

the ND kids were HS kids from Burlingtion Ontario.. down to play a couple of academies outside buffalo.. the coach has some connections with Coach/Natashac? etc from the mid 80's they will back again tonight.. he said noone on his team had talent to play at US Colleges.. Nice Guy.. said they had been there several times, but I dont recall them before. The kids loved the atmoshere.. they have been to Mich and many other places but he felt Lynah was the best.. [/q]
Peter Natyshak was a classmate of Schafer's. Scored 44 and 51 points his last two seasons. Anyone recall if he played on a line with Nieuwendyk and Moeser?

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:23PM

I like Salmela alot, as I've been flooding this board with pleas for him to get in the line-up all season. The forwards just need to be sure to cover for him sometimes, as he loves to jump in on the rush.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:27PM

I didn't see the shot, and I sure as hell am not much of a goalie, but someone took a wrister on me the other night from some rough ice which knuckled all over the place. It seemed like an easy save, but I never could get it lined up squarely. After it got by me, all I could think of was Jason Variteck's nightmares trying to handle Tim Wakefield's knuckle ball. To give benefit of the doubt, maybe it should have been saved, but was more difficult than it looked.

Posted by: Ford '94 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:08PM

My mom works at Colgate and she and my dad have watched hockey there for years. They were really impressed with Q. They attack and play a real offensive brand of hockey. If not for the best line in the ECAC (Burton, Smyth and Willoughby) they would have lost at home. Sucks found that out early in the seson, they just keep jumping into plays and trying for the home run pass. I gurantee Q will have several odd man and brekout/breakaway opportunities in this game if CU is not careful. And heaven forbid if Krantz and Pokulok keep turning it over in our own end. This will be a great test for the D tonight against a better team that I thought they were coming into the League. LGR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login