Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

sun article on hockey fans

Posted by A-19 
sun article on hockey fans
Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 03:35AM

someone had to post it...

[www.cornellsun.com]

interesting that someone who supposedly loathes cornell hockey fans so much is the sports editor for the daily sun. considering the fact that any given hockey game is the secondmost popular event on campus aside from slope day (by numbers, at least), it's safe to say the author is in the vast minority of the cornell community.

hey christopher, if you don't want your press pass, there are 1,000 students who would (and have) trampled over anyone on campus to have it. it must be realllllllly awful to have those tickets and have to put up with a fan phenomenon that our players indicate week after week to be a positive source of their energy in playing @ home and on the road. it's not like the fans have anyyyyyyy outcome on the game (see boucher, nick).

and don't try and pretend you are sooooo offended by the screaming of one word during the national anthem. not standing during the alma mater doesn't make you a classy or cool fan, it just makes you an outcast and sanctimonious jerk with no semblance of school pride who takes joy in derriding the pride of others in this institution.

i'm sure you'll have enough nasty responses to fill your rebuttal column for next week. that's good, because it will give students a new reason to say borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring during the visiting lineups.

-mike '04

Re: sun article on hockey fans
Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 06:23AM

I think he just bought his ticket to the journalist Hall of Fame.
Finally Mike Volonnino has company.

Posted by: jdm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 06:40AM

If you are still questioning if this guy's an idiot check out his picture on his lame website.
[www.people.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 07:37AM

He's just jealous that sprint football never got the fan numbers that hockey does. :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 07:46AM

Ah, he's a Yankees fan, that explains it :-P

I quote Greg, I keeeed, I keeeed...
kinda ;-)

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 07:48AM

Oh, c'mon, Chris - you mention an online chat forum but don't give its name. eLynah. Is it that hard to say? Really, "a chat forum for the 11th-ranked team in Division I college hockey" doesn't sound that ridiculous, especially when the preseason #59 team [insidecollegehockey.com] also has one [www.ritcornercrew.org].

And why isn't a discussion of marketing valid?

I'm hoping that Chris is really just playing devil's advocate here...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 07:48AM by Liz '05.

Date: December 02, 2005 07:57AM

[Q]Really, "a chat forum for the 11th-ranked team in Division I college hockey" doesn't sound that ridiculous, especially when the preseason #59 team [insidecollegehockey.com] also has one [www.ritcornercrew.org]. [/Q]

And it also implies that we should create and destroy the forum based on some arbitrary ranking :-P

Date: December 02, 2005 08:04AM

So what arbitrary point in the arbitrary rankings do we use to determine whether the forum should be (arbitrarily) up or down? nut

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:17AM

How can this guy call himself a sports fan if he thinks that going to a hockey game on a Friday or Saturday night (which still leaves time to go to the bars, which most people don't hit until 10PM anyway) means someone has no life? Does that mean that all Green Bay Packers or New York Giant fans are dorks and have no lives because of the amazingly long wait for season tickets? Or that Red Sox fans are dorks and have no lives because they are willing to drive from the far corners of northern New England to catch a game once or twice a year and help keep about 3 years of sellouts continuing? What about Cameron Crazies, the Orange Krush at Illinois, and other intense fan groups? This guy must think over half the country has no life. If he can't appreciate the passion of a fan base like the Lynah Faithful, he has no right to be a sports editor. Too bad Hahvahd must have rejected him, it would have been a much good fit.

P.S. Maybe his mommy tucks him in by 11:00 on Friday and Saturdays so if he thinks that if someone goes to the game he doesn't have time to go out. Unbelievable. rolleyes

Posted by: Bio '04 (146.186.37.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:19AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

i'm sure you'll have enough nasty responses to fill your rebuttal column for next week.[/q]

Convenient that he chooses the last day that the Sun will be published for this this semester, isn't it?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:38AM

First of all, the guy wrote "sike." Either he or his editor is ten kinds of stupid for this alone. Most of his other stuff is ridiculously dumb too, but that's true of most cornell sportswriting (and honestly, most sportswriting in general). The last decent daily sun sports editor I recall was Angel, and that was definitely a number of years ago.

That being said...

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

and don't try and pretend you are sooooo offended by the screaming of one word during the national anthem. not standing during the alma mater doesn't make you a classy or cool fan, it just makes you an outcast and sanctimonious jerk with no semblance of school pride who takes joy in derriding the pride of others in this institution.
[/Q]

This is patent speculation and/or untrue. Maybe his moral outrage or whatever at the actions of Cornell fans is feigned, but it's pretty clear he's trying to express an opinion about the conduct of fans in juxtaposition to what he perceives to be inconsistent behavior on their part. And at least superficially, it's a remotely apt comparison, so this is the closest thing to reasoned thought that actually appears in his column. I can think of a million reasons to not stand for the alma mater, few of which have anything to do with lack of school pride or sanctimony. Most Cornell fans can think of at least a million defenses for screaming a word in an otherwise sung anthem, few of which have anything to do with lack of patriotism or whatever the anthem is supposed to mean these days. It seems to me he's not so off here, though his motivations for writing it in his column are likely ignoble.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:44AM

I didn't realize Larry Winer was the Sun sports editor. rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:47AM

I think the most important lesson here is that taking anyone on the Sun's opinion staff seriously is a big freaking mistake. That said, I vote we spend the next month filling out the comment box on that piece of bad writing with our true thoughts on Chris's facetimerness. LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 09:09AM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:54AM

I know exactly which pitfall this guy is falling into, because I had a similar position on another popular Cornell tradition. I came to realize that I was simply trying to be different for the sake of being different, which is dumb. If my experience is any indication, he'll get it eventually, maybe after he's out of school for a few years.

That said, he really should give up his press pass to a Sun reporter that will actually enjoy being at the games.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: December 02, 2005 09:00AM

[Q]krose Wrote:

I know exactly which pitfall this guy is falling into, because I had a similar position on another popular Cornell tradition. I came to realize that I was simply trying to be different for the sake of being different, which is dumb. If my experience is any indication, he'll get it eventually, maybe after he's out of school for a few years.[/q]

Yeah, but this guy seems to be that way about every tradition. It makes you wonder if he's been to an away game at Clarkson or Colgate or anywhere else in college hockey with a similarly active crowd.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:03AM

What a friggin' hoser this guy is. I think that when Sucks comes to town in February, we should just throw Mascaro on the ice. The Harvard players won't get it, but the Faithful will know that they've just seen the biggest stinking fish yet launched at Harvard. Of course, putting him in a chicken suit and tying him in the net between periods is also an option.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 09:25AM by Killer.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:27AM

[Q]Tom Tone Wrote:

I think he just bought his ticket to the journalist Hall of Fame.
Finally Mike Volonnino has company.
[/q]

...which gives us an option for how to respond. :-D

I'm amazed that NO ONE has left a calling card on the Sun site. However, I don't think we should get too worked up over this. I suspect he did write this on the last publication day of the term intentionally, as a pompous, peurile little exercise. He obviously expects to get a rise out of us. The best reaction is not to give it to him.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:27AM

Write those letters now so they are fresh in your mind and then swamp The Sun with them as soon as they start publishing again. :-)

Date: December 02, 2005 09:36AM

Thats a good point, but he clearly reads ELF, so he is probably already laughing at all of us. Fun would be hitting him back on his interests:

Concentration: Communication
Interests: sports, chillen, boozin, watchin alf
Clubs and Jobs: Sports Editor of the Daily Sun, Sprint Football, SAE
Favorite Movies: Jerry Maguire, Dazed and Confused, The Girl Next Door, Wicker Park, Anchorman
Favorite Quote: all those mocha lattes, you gotta do pilotes
About Me: the juice was worth the squeeze

Thank you facebook!

Posted by: lfaithful (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:42AM

So this guy makes fun of us for what we do as a members of the Lynah Faithful...lets see what groups this kid is a part of and what they do.

According to his facebook profile, Chris is a member in following organizations...

"I Enjoy a 'few' Drinks On My Lunch Break's" Group
-"This group is designed to bring together those of who like to enjoy anywhere between one and eight drinks during our lunch break. "Is it allowed by company policy", you might ask? I don't know, I'm not a doctor. What I do know is that the taste of a Johnny Walker Red on the rocks at around 12:30 P.M. is heaven on earth. Sure it might affect our performance and "motor skills" after lunch, but as they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Cheers."

"Fratastic Boys's" Group
- in this group they..."Get as many "fratastic points" as possible...do "fratastic" things like get real fucked up and do stuff with hot little ladies"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wow I wish I wasn't such a nerd and got myself a life like Chris

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:46AM

[Q]I'm amazed that NO ONE has left a calling card on the Sun site. However, I don't think we should get too worked up over this. I suspect he did write this on the last publication day of the term intentionally, as a pompous, peurile little exercise. He obviously expects to get a rise out of us. The best reaction is not to give it to him.[/Q]

It's possible that they just haven't posted the comments yet. They have to be approved by a moderator so some of them (like mine) probably won't be posted.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:49AM

Wow.. This guy's a real asshole.

I love it when people like to feel good about themselves by pointing out that whatever they do to entertain themselves is better, somehow, than whatever someone else does for entertainment. Its even more fun when they feel like pointing their supposed superiority on all things fun on a newspaper.

Posted by: cmp25 (---.client.insightbb.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:55AM

As a former Sun Sports Senior Editor, I'm frankly ashamed.

Date: December 02, 2005 10:34AM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:
I love it when people like to feel good about themselves by pointing out that whatever they do to entertain themselves is better, somehow, than whatever someone else does for entertainment. Its even more fun when they feel like pointing their supposed superiority on all things fun on a newspaper.
[/q]

Well, yeah, that's the best reaction to anyone who tells someone else to get a life. How unfulfilling must their daily activities be that they have to go out of their way to ridicule someone else's hobby.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:43AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
Well, yeah, that's the best reaction to anyone who tells someone else to get a life. How unfulfilling must their daily activities be that they have to go out of their way to ridicule someone else's hobby.[/q]
To paraphrase Ferris: I don't even HAVE a hobby. I have to envy yours.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:52AM

I'd respond to his article, but I'm too busy trying to start a family.

Peace, suckas! Sprint Football rulez! Hot chix are HOTTTTT!!!!!11111oneoneone

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:02AM

I'd like to think the best reaction is to have zero feedback on the site, and zero letters to the editor printed on the article. Do you really want to give this drivel any relevance? I don't see how it's even worth a hockey fan's time to respond with outrage and disgust.

Go to the game tonight, listen to the game tonight, watch the game tonight and go nuts as you would any other game. Utter a four-letter word when we turn the puck over in the defensive zone, tell Leroux what you think of his goaltending abilities, and let Section O know where Princeton is.

And smile to yourself while thinking how much you're enjoying yourself while that guy (it's not worth my time to look up his name) is absolutely miserable in the press box.

Rinse and repeat.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:36AM

there is no such thing as a two-line pass in college hockey … jackass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 11:36AM by ben03.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:28PM

Well, I'm assuming he'll be there tonight. Any idea on how to make this weekend miserable for him - at least at the game???

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:32PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:
Any idea on how to make this weekend miserable for him - at least at the game???[/q]

Carry on as normal. Not giving him any satisfaction is our best bet.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2005 12:37PM by redhair34.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:40PM

It really does suck though that we can't write to the sun now. Bastard was semi-intelligent about that.

Date: December 02, 2005 12:50PM

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Let's Go RED!!!!

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:58PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Mascaro.....SUCKS!

Let's Go RED!!!![/q]

Shhh...that is a name that should not be mentioned, along with T...something & H******.

Safety hack...safety hack...safety hack...

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:02PM

what was the point of this editorial? If you don't like the games, the don't go...

It's that simple. And if you have a job requirement that forces you to go, well that's to bad, but plenty of people do thinks for work that they wouldn't do otherwise (and most of them wish they where as easy as going to a hockey game.)

Posted by: Ogre, you asshole (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:13PM

I get the joke and chuckled but...

Please guys, don't give him a cheer. The kid is a top-notch db. And by db, I don't mean sprint football defensive back. We can embarrass him in ways that don't give him satisfaction.

Posted by: w (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:28PM

Maybe we shouldn't criticize this guy so much. He is obviously a hardworking communications major crippled with the talent of genius.

[www.people.cornell.edu]

... ahh the heights of human achievement:

To see the kinds of girls I like, click on my fat, beer-filled carcass.

To learn about what I do at school, click..., no, just take a few shots and sleep.

To see what sport I play at Cornell, click on the link which will direct you to a second third-grade art project of a webpage which doesn't even tell you what sport I play.

To see how I made this webpage, poop into your own hand and upload it to the world wide web. Then stare at the page in utter amazement of the fact that, after 4 years of communications classes at Cornell, this is the best I can communicate.

Date: December 02, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]Ogre, you asshole Wrote:

I get the joke and chuckled but...

Please guys, don't give him a cheer. The kid is a top-notch db. And by db, I don't mean sprint football defensive back. We can embarrass him in ways that don't give him satisfaction.[/q]

I agree. He doesn't deserve the notoriety. But I just couldn't resist...at least on here.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 02:34PM

[Q]Ogre, you asshole Wrote:

The kid is a top-notch db. [/q]

Wow, the old DB moniker is alive and well. I remember being lectured by an upperclassman on the crassness of the term. He objected to the phrase being used to describe one of his buddies by one of his Class of ’72 brothers.

Fond memories.:-P

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: December 02, 2005 02:51PM

If he doesnt like the cheers, tough shit. Schafer and the team seem to like it, and I think they're opinion is worth more than some douchebag Sun writer. Maybe the idea of intense fans is foreign to someone who plays on a team (sprint football) whose whole existence is for people to weak to be on a real team.

We have no lives? He's a Sun Editor; you want to talk about the epitomy of having no life. I'm sorry we have such obscene cheers. I can imagine how hard that is for a Giants fan, whose cohorts made fun on N.O. residents during a Giants-Saints game last year. And I like how we have no life for things we do at the game, him saying we should have something better to do. Dipshit, we're already there, we're not losing any time asshole. And you dont seem to mind putting aside those 2 1/2 hours for hockey games.

He doesnt like the alma mater, he doesnt like the cheers, then why the hell is he there. He must enjoy those free Sun tickets he did nothing for. Maybe he should give them to someone who wants them and spend time bulking up so he can join the real football team.

Date: December 02, 2005 03:06PM

I wonder if this article could jeopordize his press credentials? I ask this without any knowledge about how they are handed out. It seems to me that Cornell Athletics would be free to revoke anyone's press credentials for whatever reason they see fit (note: I'm not reccomending they should). Maybe someone with more intimate knowlege could clear this up.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 03:15PM

Perhaps Cornell Athletics should pay Daily Sun staffers to publish favorable articles and opinion pieces. ;-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2005 03:21PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

I wonder if this article could jeopordize his press credentials? I ask this without any knowledge about how they are handed out. It seems to me that Cornell Athletics would be free to revoke anyone's press credentials for whatever reason they see fit (note: I'm not reccomending they should). Maybe someone with more intimate knowlege could clear this up. [/q]
Considering Andy Noel also doesn't particularly like the cheers or the hockey fans, I doubt this is going to happen. I'd be surprised if the rest of the Sun sports staff didn't balk, though.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2005 04:16PM

He could start a free webcam service. That'll get him banned for life for sure.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 04:42PM

The most insulting thing about the column is that it takes two minutes of one's life to read. That is far, far too long for the writing quality contained therein. If it's somehow sarcastic, that makes the writing even worse, because it's another area of failure.

For what it's worth, Delgado has said that as a New York Met, he will stand with his teammates during God Bless America. Christ, Mascaro's a baseball fan and he can't even get that right? Don't give me that "well, at one time..." crap. There are other things wrong with his analogy, like Delgado was politically protesting, Delgado has talent in his chosen vocation, etc., but I don't have time.

As far as having no life goes, doing something you don't like and don't technically really have to do just to reap prestige and/or to complain about it in a poorly written, deliberately inflammatory column ranks RIGHT up there.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:51PM

As much as I did not want to dignify this article with a response, I thought some might be interested in the following conversation I had at the game tonight with the father of one of the Princeton players. He said that by far all the players on Princeton team (and Dartmouth for which his younger son plays for) believe that coming to Cornell to play every year is the best game of the year. They believe this because we have the most vocal and exciting fans as well as the most knowledgeable and they wish that their fans anywhere remotely like ours. He said that is younger son was in awe when he came here on a recruiting trip and just the fans alone were almost enough to sway him to come here. If that isn't a true testament to how great our fans are then I don't know what is. At least I will still read the Sun for Mr. Gnu:)

Posted by: cmp25 (---.client.insightbb.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:01PM

I want to say that since Chris gave us several weeks to have a chance to respond, the former sports editors and I will be putting together a response over break to be printed in Letters to the Editor. As I mentioned above, I am ashamed that this article A) was printed and B) came from the current sports editor. This stems from both my being a former Daily Sun member and a current (and permanent) Cornell hockey fan.

I know there is a push to not respond at all, to give this article no credence. I do see that point. But this article hurt me very personally, and has upset a number of former sports editors. Not only did we protect and cherish Cornell hockey history during our tenures, but attempted to enhance it. That was our charge. For us, this goes beyond lashing out at the all-important fan. This is a direct attack at everything that we spent time to build.

I won't apologize for Chris, but I will apologize for the Sun. The paper isn't simply a daily publication, it's a chronicling of our University's history. In that vein, we try year in and year out to select the people who understand this and are up to the task. Apprently that didn't happen this time around.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:03PM

He should probably take his talents to the restaurant review section.

I really want to know if they ask the right questions about cooking eggs at the State Street Diner.

Chris Mascaro's Email Address
Posted by: Scott Goldsmith '96 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:05PM

ccm29@cornell.edu

Courtesy Facebook

I already sent him an email.

Re: Chris Mascaro's Email Address - guys, grow up
Date: December 02, 2005 10:33PM

Its fine and dandy to make fun of him on the forum, but this needs to stop. Seriously, who cares what some silly communications major thinks about being a Cornell hockey fan.

Re: Sun article on hockey fans (free Chris!)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:34PM

Please consider the possibility Chris Mascaro has a point that isn't negated by a couple typos or missing punctuation marks: Some Cornell fans have become boors. From some posts, it sounds as if people want to shoot the messenger rather than acknowlege the message. So much for the idea of the university and its extensions as a place for civil discourse (plus the Sieve cheer) and hearing out multiple viewpoints.

[Q]redhair34 Wrote: I wonder if this article could jeopordize his press credentials? I ask this without any knowledge about how they are handed out. It seems to me that Cornell Athletics would be free to revoke anyone's press credentials for whatever reason they see fit (note: I'm not reccomending they should). Maybe someone with more intimate knowlege could clear this up. [/q]Revoke Mascaro's press credentials for what: writing an opinion piece that made some legitimate points? Anyway, he's more likely to get a floral arrangement signed "Attaboy and best wishes -- Andy Noel" than an escort to the exit. It'll be easier for the athletic department to toss unruly fans in the wake of the publicity. As that happens, whose fault is it: The one who wrote about the fans, or the fanatics who pushed the limits?

(One gets press credentials by being a writer or announcer for recognized media who regularly cover Cornell hockey (or who are really big and want to cover Cornell hockey once in a while, such as NY Times or Sports Illustrated): newspaper, the occasional magazine, radio, TV, major Web sites that aren't fan sites (though one could argue Ari's eLynah pieces are balanced enough and serious enough to merit credentialing). Whether you're pro or con isn't an issue. If hewing to the company line was a pre-requisite for press credentials, White House press conferences would be just about empty.)

Date: December 02, 2005 10:53PM

[Q]Please consider the possibility Chris Mascaro has a point that isn't negated by a couple typos or missing punctuation marks: Some Cornell fans have become boors.[/Q]

Read the article again. If this was anywhere near his point, then not being a pompous, informal jackass may help get it across. Or, maybe he's just a pompous jackass.

Date: December 02, 2005 10:55PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

So much for the idea of the university and its extensions as a place for civil discourse (plus the Sieve cheer) and hearing out multiple viewpoints. [/q]

Civil discourse ends when a so-called journalist begins an article, "Lynah Faithful … SUCK! Lynah Faithful … SUCK!" He isn't trying to be intelligent. Either he's trying to be an asshole because he just wants to rattle our cages and get us talking about him (in which case, his article worked), or he's trying to be sarcastic to get a "point" across, except that he doesn't seem to be able to figure out what his ultimate point should be (villifying facetimers, saying the hardcore Faithful care too much about Cornell hockey, or saying our cheers aren't clever enough). This isn't journalism; this is one person trying to garner as much attention as he can for no real cause except just to garner attention.

Date: December 02, 2005 11:02PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Please consider the possibility Chris Mascaro has a point that isn't negated by a couple typos or missing punctuation marks: Some Cornell fans have become boors. From some posts, it sounds as if people want to shoot the messenger rather than acknowlege the message. So much for the idea of the university and its extensions as a place for civil discourse (plus the Sieve cheer) and hearing out multiple viewpoints.

redhair34 Wrote: I wonder if this article could jeopordize his press credentials? I ask this without any knowledge about how they are handed out. It seems to me that Cornell Athletics would be free to revoke anyone's press credentials for whatever reason they see fit (note: I'm not reccomending they should). Maybe someone with more intimate knowlege could clear this up. [/Q]
Revoke Mascaro's press credentials for what: writing an opinion piece that made some legitimate points? Anyway, he's more likely to get a floral arrangement signed "Attaboy and best wishes -- Andy Noel" than an escort to the exit. It'll be easier for the athletic department to toss unruly fans in the wake of the publicity. As that happens, whose fault is it: The one who wrote about the fans, or the fanatics who pushed the limits?

[/q]

Hey Bill...do me a favor. Go back and read my post again. All I asked was if it was a possibility. Athletics has done stranger things. I didn't suggest they do it. It was more a question about athletics and their control over press credentials etc. Please don't jump to conclusions. You're basically preaching to the converted (except for your first two sentences).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 12:18AM by redhair34.

Sun Editor
Posted by: MNetravali (216.170.107.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:09PM

Most people who take the time to make such an attack on other people have some underlying issues of their own. screwy But that's OK. The more time we waste discussing an article like this, the less time we have to enjoy Cornell hockey.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:31PM

this kid is a 5’6” second coming of Napoleon. i think that pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Posted by: WillR (205.232.75.---)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:21AM

In addition to our intrepid reported knowing precious little about hockey, and next to nothing about Cornell hockey, he appears to also know less about what is presumably his native tongue. This is a pity since as a sports writer without passion for the game I would hope that the writing was special. Alas, it is not. Someone should tell him that “sike" is a small river as opposed to psyche which while sounding the same has a somewhat different meaning.

Date: December 03, 2005 12:33AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote: I wonder if this article could jeopordize his press credentials? I ask this without any knowledge about how they are handed out. It seems to me that Cornell Athletics would be free to revoke anyone's press credentials for whatever reason they see fit (note: I'm not reccomending they should). Maybe someone with more intimate knowlege could clear this up. [/Q]
Revoke Mascaro's press credentials for what: writing an opinion piece that made some legitimate points? Anyway, he's more likely to get a floral arrangement signed "Attaboy and best wishes -- Andy Noel" than an escort to the exit. It'll be easier for the athletic department to toss unruly fans in the wake of the publicity. As that happens, whose fault is it: The one who wrote about the fans, or the fanatics who pushed the limits?

(One gets press credentials by being a writer or announcer for recognized media who regularly cover Cornell hockey (or who are really big and want to cover Cornell hockey once in a while, such as NY Times or Sports Illustrated): newspaper, the occasional magazine, radio, TV, major Web sites that aren't fan sites (though one could argue Ari's eLynah pieces are balanced enough and serious enough to merit credentialing). Whether you're pro or con isn't an issue. If hewing to the company line was a pre-requisite for press credentials, White House press conferences would be just about empty.) [/q]

What did he mention we/they do that qualifies as "boor"ish. The only thing that would come close might be the phone number thing. The rest - "RED!", bend over, fish, "sucks", tubas - are not even remotely in that area; they're part of just being good intense fans. Perhaps he might feel more at home with a more blue-blooded crowd at a polo game or something.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:50AM

He did start to make one decent point, then lose himself in self-righteousness.

Fans who don't actually know any hockey at all can be really annoying. It's fine if you're not a huge sports person, and good to see enthusiasm anyway. Just frustrating at the person who starts to wave every time there's a penalty, because they can't tell it's on us, for example.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:42AM

[Q]w Wrote:
To see how I made this webpage, poop into your own hand and upload it to the world wide web.[/q]Not that I don't think Mascaro is a dick, but in a thread mostly filled with defensive whining, this was awesome.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.n)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:24AM

[Q]cbuckser Wrote:

Perhaps Cornell Athletics should pay Daily Sun staffers to publish favorable articles and opinion pieces. [/q]

What makes you think Andy Noel didn't sponsor THIS article? uhoh

Date: December 03, 2005 10:59AM

And before we start giving him credit for attempting to make a point about fans being too boorish (as if there was anything more than a shadow of the point anywhere in the article), lets remember that the one thing he DID like was 'poop is brown'. Combine that with what 'W' found on his webpage, and it's a equally valid guess that his main complaint may be that the humor found in Lynah doesn't consist enough of the high and mighty, dignified toilet-based kind.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 11:00AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote: lets remember that the one thing he DID like was 'poop is brown'. [/q]You must not spend a lot of time around sarcastic people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 12:41PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:48PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

What makes you think Andy Noel didn't sponsor THIS article? [/q]

Probably not. There wasn't a mention about how much better Cornell Wrestling is.

Date: December 03, 2005 01:05PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote: lets remember that the one thing he DID like was 'poop is brown'. [/Q]
You must not spend a lot of time around sarcastic people.[/q]

So he wrote in a newspaper form expecting sarcasm to come across. Gee, that is beyond stupidity.

Cue Simpsons:
Homer: Dear Mr. Burns. I'm so glad you enjoyed my sons blood, and your card was just great! In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic! YOU STINK!

Posted by: former sunnie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:02PM

Isn't what you're all doing here just proving Chris's point? This thread is now at 60+ posts, discussing nothing more than your indignation at what someone else thinks of you. That strikes me as the definition of someone lacking "a life."

Chris has done nothing more than what occurs on this board on a pretty regular basis. He is taking a personal gripe he has and blowing it WAY out of proportion. That happens here with every detail of every "controversial" comment and with just about every error that ever appears in The Sun.

Lest you forget, The Sun is a student-run daily newspaper. Guess what? There are going to be mistakes. Sometimes, bad mistakes. And you have every right to point them out and say what you want about the mistakes. If it bothers you that The Sun covers teams besides the hockey team (which clearly it does, based on the disparaging comments about basketball), you have every right to complain about that too. You chose to do it in this venue, and that's fine.

But when what you do here bothers someone who is not a regular contributor to this message board, isn't it within his rights to complain about it too? That's what Chris did, and as sports editor, The Sun is his venue.

Yes, the way that Chris did it was vulgar, offensive, and a tad immature. That certainly diminishes the weight behind what he's trying to say. But by getting so worked up about what he said about you is at least a little hypocritical, given what you all say about The Sun (which, for the most part goes unacknowledged by the Sun staff).

Further, regardless of what Chris personally feels about the hockey team (which, by the way, he thinks very highly of), it is unquestionably the marquee sport on campus. It is his responsibility as sports editor to make sure that it gets appropriate coverage, and that means appointing a beat writer who has experience and savvy as a reporter and the ability to view the team from the prospective of a reporter and not from the prospective of a fan. The fact that men's hockey is not the be all and end all of Cornell Athletics to Chris makes him that much more qualified to cover the team.

I'm just guessing, but I think he doesn't understand the value of getting so wrapped up in following a team that it reaches the point of obsession. That's how I felt when I covered the hockey team, and I know it's how people who cover other high-profile teams on other campuses across the country feel.

And even as this thread proceeds, there's another one right alongside it that further proves Chris's point. People are handing out quartercards calling fans "fucking retards" for getting a word wrong in a cheer. I mean, I agree that it's annoying, but that's just what Chris is trying to say. When you belittle people just because they don't do exactly what you want them to do, exactly how you want them to do it, do you honestly think they're going to cede to your demands? I don't. And I think that's what Chris means when he says "hockey fans need to get a life." So please, do yourselves a favor and lighten up.

Date: December 03, 2005 03:07PM

What you fail to realize is that none of us claim to have a life when it comes to hockey :-P . Neither do we care to match up to what some random person who thinks his opinion matters believes should be the standard by which one judges to be 'a life'.

Especially a drunk, I-can't-make-the-real-football-team, whiny frat boy who can't write for his life, yet somehow feels that he is the end all be all of judgement of who's life is worthwhile.

This is not about "oh we're so great and totally correct in everything we do", rather it's a "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I'm not judging anyone's life based on what they do for fun, until they decide that they can do so of others.

If I think it's fun and interesting and worthwhile to talk about this, then we're gonna talk about it. If he or anyone else thinks that's not spending my life right, then their judgemental ass is just going to have to learn to deal with it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 03:11PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: December 03, 2005 03:16PM

Best line:

"I just don’t understand, why do these dorks that don’t know the difference between a two-line pass and a line change think they have the right to be obnoxious assholes just because they did “their time in the line?”"

You guys remember the two-line pass, the call THAT DOESNT FUCKING EXIST IN COLLEGE HOCKEY.

Posted by: crazykidas (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:22PM

I think that we should find out where this guys lives and get the Tuba players from the band to come outside his house with as many fans as we can get. The tubas can play the Swannee River Song and we can yell, "Hey Chris Mascaro!" "Die!" "Drop Dead!" "You Suck!" That'd show him just how great hockey fans are. You don't mess with us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 03:28PM by crazykidas.

Date: December 03, 2005 03:22PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

Best line:

"I just don’t understand, why do these dorks that don’t know the difference between a two-line pass and a line change think they have the right to be obnoxious assholes just because they did “their time in the line?”"

You guys remember the two-line pass, the call THAT DOESNT FUCKING EXIST IN COLLEGE HOCKEY.[/q]

The only reason I know what a two-line pass is, is because it doesn't exist in college hockey and many many people have to have that explained to them...I listen and learn. :)

On a side note, I got sucked into responding on the Sun site. Damn "Ben" that tried to argue that Mascaro's point was to chastise us for our obnoxious/mean cheering and not to say that we suck.

Posted by: Ben (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 04, 2005 02:10AM

Chris Mascaro is the man. You guys do need to get lives!

Date: December 04, 2005 02:22AM

[Q]crazykidas Wrote:

I think that we should find out where this guys lives and get the Tuba players from the band to come outside his house with as many fans as we can get. The tubas can play the Swannee River Song and we can yell, "Hey Chris Mascaro!" "Die!" "Drop Dead!" "You Suck!" That'd show him just how great hockey fans are. You don't mess with us!
[/q]

It's "go home", not "you suck".
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2005 06:00AM by French Rage.

Posted by: w (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 04, 2005 11:07AM

good call, sike.

(its funny because I spelled it not good)

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 11:24AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

crazykidas Wrote:

[/Q]
It's "go home", not "you suck".

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/04/05 06:00AM by French Rage.[/q]

Not if he is already home.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 11:38AM

[Q]crazykidas Wrote:

I think that we should find out where this guys lives and get the Tuba players from the band to come outside his house with as many fans as we can get. The tubas can play the Swannee River Song and we can yell, "Hey Chris Mascaro!" "Die!" "Drop Dead!" "You Suck!" That'd show him just how great hockey fans are. You don't mess with us![/q]
The tubas did their holiday caroling around campus on Saturday morning, taking a scenic route that includes SAE. But who knows if he was even there to hear the special song they played for him.

Date: December 04, 2005 11:45AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

The tubas did their holiday caroling around campus on Saturday morning, taking a scenic route that includes SAE. But who knows if he was even there to hear the special song they played for him.[/q]

For those of us not around, what song did you play?

Posted by: crazykidas (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 02:55PM

This is straight from the ELynah Cheers Page:

Swannee River (aka Die! Drop Dead! Go Home!)
In the middle of the 3rd period, the Tuba section of the Pep Band (yes - I know they are really Sousaphones) hoof it all the way from Section A to the aisle behind the opponent's bench. They then play a little tune known as Swanee River. At the first pause, the crowd yells, "Hey {SCHOOL}!" At the second pause, "Die!" At the third, yell "Drop Dead!" And at the end, "Go home!1 "

1 - When the team is on the road, or in the first of a two-game home set against one team, replace with "You suck!"

Date: December 04, 2005 05:51PM

[Q]crazykidas Wrote:

This is straight from the ELynah Cheers Page:

Swannee River (aka Die! Drop Dead! Go Home!)
In the middle of the 3rd period, the Tuba section of the Pep Band (yes - I know they are really Sousaphones) hoof it all the way from Section A to the aisle behind the opponent's bench. They then play a little tune known as Swanee River. At the first pause, the crowd yells, "Hey {SCHOOL}!" At the second pause, "Die!" At the third, yell "Drop Dead!" And at the end, "Go home!1 "

1 - When the team is on the road, or in the first of a two-game home set against one team, replace with "You suck!"
[/q]

Good point, I jumped the gun there. In alot of other cases (ie "you goon";), people tend to replace any phrase they dont know with "you suck", but in this case of that cheer it actually would make more sense. B-]

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 06:26PM

Maybe this guy should spend a little more time covering the hockey game instead of worrying about other peoples interests. Oh excuse me, this subject is pertinent to the game since the faithul comprise the 7th man.:-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 06:39PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

The tubas did their holiday caroling around campus on Saturday morning, taking a scenic route that includes SAE. But who knows if he was even there to hear the special song they played for him.[/Q]
For those of us not around, what song did you play?[/q]Er. Swanee. :-}

Date: December 05, 2005 12:15AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Will Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

The tubas did their holiday caroling around campus on Saturday morning, taking a scenic route that includes SAE. But who knows if he was even there to hear the special song they played for him.[/Q]
For those of us not around, what song did you play?[/Q]
Er. Swanee.[/q]

Sorry, I didn't realize you'd actually follow crazykidas' suggestion. That works. :-)

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 08:33PM

Wow. This guy obviously hasn't heard the phrase: "To each his own." Maybe he will before he graduates.

A valid criticism for me personally is that these hockey message boards can be downright addictive.

Posted by: DL (59.40.25.---)
Date: December 07, 2005 10:28AM

Frankly, the only thing the article has proved to me, and only indirectly by way of the consequent messageboard-bashing, is that I am desperate to read something (preferably in this very forum) about our team any time they're not playing. If wanting to virtually congregate with fellow Cornellians in lieu of actual attendance at Lynah makes me a loser, too, then so be it.

Let's Go Red

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: December 08, 2005 08:23AM

The part that gets me is that he is comparing the face-timers to those of us on ELF.

I would imagine most of us here know what a two-line pass is (and from going to away games, we see who the real faithful are. They arent just those in section A/B), eh?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:27PM

Why not chant his cell phone number at the game? Guy likes Tara Reid (skank!), likes to post icons on his well-developed Web site and rips the home fans. What a winning combo.

* ring ring ring * Hey Chris!!! Your Mom called...........SHE SAID YOU SUCK!!!!

That will teach him.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:47PM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:

Why not chant his cell phone number at the game?
[/q]

Can we not even joke about that?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 06:16PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Can we not even joke about that?[/q]

Apparently I can't restrain myself.

Date: December 08, 2005 07:50PM

Let me make this simple: he really isn't worth it.

Mea culpa
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 08:05PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:

Most people who take the time to make such an attack on other people have some underlying issues of their own. But that's OK. The more time we waste discussing an article like this,
[/q]

the more underlying issues we all have.... uhoh

Posted by: INCH (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 02:30AM

INCH with a little blurb about Mascaros article:

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 02:54AM

and stated very well indeed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login