Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Expansion Moves Forward

Posted by redhair34 
Lynah Expansion Moves Forward
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:39AM

Re: Lynah Expansion Moves Forward
Posted by: Andy'07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:54AM

All the article really tells you is the ridiculous amount of red tape when attempting to build anything.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:03PM

It also says the date for starting the expansion will be Spring of '06. That is different from what Schafer said/implied("the current freshman and sophmores will benefit from the expanded Lynah";) earlier this year.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:50PM

So where is the team going to play next year? The article states that the project should wrap up around winter 2006. That meens construction will be going on durring the fall semester. Will the rink be usable durring that time? Or will the team need to find another place to host games?

And you have to consider the very real possiblity that the expansion isn't finished on time and that construction runs into spring 07.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2005 02:29PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 02:22PM

it could be that the changes to the ice will be done first with the locker rooms being built later. I don't know how much the construction will affect the current facilities so this seems like the most logical solution to me (meaning of course that it'll happen the other way around).

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.msc.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 02:33PM

The only real construction that affects the ice is the changing of the benches, so I assume they can handle doing that before the season starts. Everything else is going on in the stands, under them, or behind them.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:13PM

[Q]Andy'07 Wrote: All the article really tells you is the ridiculous amount of red tape when attempting to build anything.[/q]It also appears to say the town of Ithaca felt Cornell wasn't as forthcoming or deferential (or both) as it wants Cornell to be.

Can't recall: Was spring 2006-fall 2006 the original timetable, or was it 2005 that got pushed back a year? Or was there talk of pushing it to the spring-summer-fall of 2007?

Cornell certainly should be able to accomplish the necessary changes to the main rink, such as moving the Cornell/visitor benches, before the first game, and if the locker room work isn't done on time, well, there's still (?) the existing locker rooms.

Minor question is whether this knocks out summer sports programs at Lynah.

Posted by: Jeffrey (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:15PM

Where are the new benches going, and where is the pently box going.

Date: November 29, 2005 04:16PM

[Q]Jeffrey Wrote:

Where are the new benches going, and where is the pently box going. [/q]

In short, the visitor bench and the penalty box will switch places.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:30PM

That is the way it should be... the opposing bench in front of our student fans!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:32PM

They're going to the cheap layout where the penalty boxes are adjacent to the home team's bench (now on the south side) while the visitor's bench is across the ice. Gives a home ice advantage because the home team can get a change immediately after a penalty expires while a visiting player has to skate acorss the ice.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:41PM

[Q]Doug '08 Wrote:

That is the way it should be... the opposing bench in front of our student fans![/q]

I'm pretty sure they are actually putting the cornell bench in front of our student fans. This would probably make the most sense because the new lockerrooms are going below the student sections, so Cornell's tunnel could lead right to the bench.

Date: November 29, 2005 05:03PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

Doug '08 Wrote:

That is the way it should be... the opposing bench in front of our student fans![/Q]
I'm pretty sure they are actually putting the cornell bench in front of our student fans. This would probably make the most sense because the new lockerrooms are going below the student sections, so Cornell's tunnel could lead right to the bench.[/q]

Oh ok...I thought I heard that they were going to put the visitor bench on the student side. That is definitely the more safety conscious option.

Date: November 29, 2005 05:06PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

They're going to the cheap layout[/q]

Well put. If they're trying to increase the home ice advantage I'd rather them go about it another way. However, it will be nice for the townies to get to see our bench/line changes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2005 05:09PM by redhair34.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:39PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

They're going to the cheap layout[/q]
I find it hard to get worked up over this. Home team already has lots of advantages (e.g., matching lines, preferred end of the ice for two periods, etc.), so why not this? Unless you get the NCAA to prohibit this setup, other teams will take what advantages they can get.

You cannot unilaterally declare peace.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: November 29, 2005 05:48PM

It's one thing to create home ice with your crowd. When you start to affect the dynamics of play on the ice then i think your going over the line.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:50PM

[q]I find it hard to get worked up over this. Home team already has lots of advantages (e.g., matching lines, preferred end of the ice for two periods, etc.), so why not this? Unless you get the NCAA to prohibit this setup, other teams will take what advantages they can get.

You cannot unilaterally declare peace.[/q]Sometimes you have to stand up for what's right even when others are doing the wrong thing. Just because lots of NCAA teams have this bench setup doesn't make it any less cheap and unfair.

As for getting worked up, I'm not about to stop following Cornell hockey over this. But I will throw in a perjorative when the subject comes up.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 07:47PM

Two advantages to having the Cornell bench on the south side of the rink, where the penalty boxes are (and remain):

Quicker change coming off a penalty

Direct access to the locker room for a skate change or a minor injury that could be handled better there than on the bench.

(One hopes the Cornell women's locker room also gets upgraded and has that direct access. They can use some support, too. Cornell in recent years has been an also-ran to Harvard and Dartmouth.)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:44PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

Doug '08 Wrote:

That is the way it should be... the opposing bench in front of our student fans![/Q]
I'm pretty sure they are actually putting the cornell bench in front of our student fans. This would probably make the most sense because the new lockerrooms are going below the student sections, so Cornell's tunnel could lead right to the bench.[/q]

From what I gathered from someone involved in fundraising for the project about a year ago, the visiting bench is slated to be in front of the student section with the new locker rooms under both the north and south stands (picture lynah east). That way both teams have access to their locker rooms.

Of course those plans may have changed in the past year. Nothing in the Sun article contradicted the idea that the penalty box/home bench will be on the north side though.

I presume the timetable on the project is intended so that the renovations will be complete to celebrate the Lynah's 50th birthday in April, 2007.

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:59PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Two advantages to having the Cornell bench on the south side of the rink, where the penalty boxes are (and remain):

Quicker change coming off a penalty

Direct access to the locker room for a skate change or a minor injury that could be handled better there than on the bench.

(One hopes the Cornell women's locker room also gets upgraded and has that direct access. They can use some support, too. Cornell in recent years has been an also-ran to Harvard and Dartmouth.)[/q]

As I understood the plan there will be both new men's and women's locker rooms under the south stands, with the existing locker rooms to become visitor's facilities.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:03PM

it may be possible to schedule the season such that all of the home games are later in the season...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:27PM

[Q]evilnaturedrobot Wrote:
It's one thing to create home ice with your crowd. When you start to affect the dynamics of play on the ice then i think your going over the line.[/q]You mean like last line change?

Date: November 29, 2005 10:38PM

I'm sure that I'm about to make myself look like an idiot, but you've lost me.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:44PM

[Q]evilnaturedrobot Wrote:

I'm sure that I'm about to make myself look like an idiot, but you've lost me.[/q]
At stoppages, the home team gets to match their lines against whatever the visiting team puts out: the visitor chooses lines, and after the ref signals no more changes, they are stuck, at which point the home team can put out whichever line best matches up against the visitor.

IMO, this is a much bigger deal than the location of the penalty box. If you have a problem with home ice rules, start with the low-hanging fruit. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: November 29, 2005 10:52PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

IMO, this is a much bigger deal than the location of the penalty box. [/q]

I agree, but last line change is a standard, universal practice. The penalty box-next to home bench set-up isn't. When we play Dartmouth they get last line change at Thompson, we get the last line change at Lynah. It evens out. The same goes for Lynah East. However, at Lynah East they get their 5th man into play quicker, when they come to Lynah we don't have the advantage they had at Lynah East. It doesn't even out. I don't think it's really that big of a deal (aka I wouldn't exactly call it unfair) it's just cheap.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:00PM

[Q]when they come to Lynah we don't have the advantage they had at Lynah East.[/q]
Sounds like a good enough reason to give us that advantage at home. I repeat: you cannot unilaterally declare peace.

So, simply from a practical standpoint, you need to follow the arms race to its logical conclusion within the boundaries set by the rules. This happens in every hockey game at every level when players hit from behind, crosscheck, slash, hold, or dive without being called for it. Guess what? These things might be cheap, but they are functionally within the rules when they aren't noticed by the officials, and our guys commit these kinds of fouls all the time because if they didn't, they'd be at a tactical and strategic disadvantage.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:16PM

[q]Players’ Bench
SECTION 9. a. The rink shall provide seats or benches for the use of players of both teams that accommodate at least 21 persons of each team. The benches should be placed immediately alongside the ice in the neutral zone, as near to the center of the rink as possible, with the doors opening in the neutral zone, convenient to the dressing rooms. When players’ benches are situated in the spectator area, they should be separated from the spectators by a protective screening of sufficient height to afford the necessary protection to the players and team personnel. Benches may be situated on opposite sides or on the same side of the rink, in which case the two teams should be separated by a substantial distance. Where physically possible, each players’ bench should have two doors opening in the neutral zone. All doors opening to the playing surface shall be constructed so that they swing away from the ice surface. Each players’ bench should have an elevated coaches’ walkway behind the area where the players are seated.
b. Only players in uniform and six additional team personnel shall be permitted to occupy the bench area. For a violation, after a warning by the referee, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed.

Penalty Bench
SECTION 10. a. The rink must be provided with benches or seats to be known as the penalty bench. It is preferable to have penalty benches for each team separated from each other and substantially separated from either players’ bench. When penalty benches are situated in the spectator area, they should be separated from the spectators by a protective glass of sufficient height to afford the necessary protection to penalized players and any other personnel. The penalty bench(es) should be situated in the neutral zone. The penalty bench(es) should accommodate at least 10 persons, including the timekeeper, the penalty timekeeper, the scorer and penalized players. Only penalized players may occupy the penalty-bench area. For a violation, after a warning by the referee, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed.
b. Immediately in front of the penalty timekeeper’s bench, there shall be marked in red on the ice a semicircle of 10 feet radius and 2 inches in width, which shall be known as the referee’s crease.[/q]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:08PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

when they come to Lynah we don't have the advantage they had at Lynah East.[/Q]
Sounds like a good enough reason to give us that advantage at home. I repeat: you cannot unilaterally declare peace.

So, simply from a practical standpoint, you need to follow the arms race to its logical conclusion within the boundaries set by the rules. This happens in every hockey game at every level when players hit from behind, crosscheck, slash, hold, or dive without being called for it. Guess what? These things might be cheap, but they are functionally within the rules when they aren't noticed by the officials, and our guys commit these kinds of fouls all the time because if they didn't, they'd be at a tactical and strategic disadvantage.

Cheers,
Kyle[/q]The fact is that we have declared peace all these years, and done well. Many of us get annoyed seeing it at other rinks, and are happy to go the way of the NHL in our own rink. We don't need to stoop to this to win. Of course we could be as dumb as Colgate and redesign our rink like we propose, and then switch benches so we are at a disadvantage in our own rink.

The fact is that eventually, like the NHL, this practice will be outlawed, and we will change back.

Posted by: Peter (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 02:01AM

I think this will have an impact on the quality of the seats in (if i'm thinking of this correclty) sections B and D. Instead of mostly just glass and the timekeeper etc. now you have a full bench of players, often standing and/or leaning over the edge of the boards, making it more difficult to see into the corner.

I noticed this at the Rochester game. My seats were near the bench and I found it much more difficult to see the corner than at lynah.

Re: Lynah Expansion Moves Forward [OT blue cross rink]
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:22AM

That is one of the crappier rinks I've ever been in personally. The layout of seats, and the slope of the seating made for poor viewing, much like Meehan. The scoreboard lacked the penalties, which were instead displayed at the end of the ice. It reminded me to really appreciate the layout of Appleton, Thompson.. and oh yeah Lynah. Sucks for the teams that end up at the regionals there......

On the other hand, beer is good for a throat after you've been chanting, screaming and yelling for 2 periods. Live and let die I suppose.:-P

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:27AM

[Q]think this will have an impact on the quality of the seats in (if i'm thinking of this correclty) sections B and D.[/Q]

This is a good point. I had seats in the third row behind the Cornell bench at Yale, and the players definitely interferes with your view. Especially at the beginning of the first when they're all standing up cause they aren't tired yet :)

Re: Lynah Expansion Moves Forward [OT blue cross rink]
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 06:06PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

That is one of the crappier rinks I've ever been in personally. The layout of seats, and the slope of the seating made for poor viewing, much like Meehan. The scoreboard lacked the penalties, which were instead displayed at the end of the ice. It reminded me to really appreciate the layout of Appleton, Thompson.. and oh yeah Lynah. Sucks for the teams that end up at the regionals there......

On the other hand, beer is good for a throat after you've been chanting, screaming and yelling for 2 periods. Live and let die I suppose. [/q]

And where are the penalities displayed at Lynah? I don't think penalites displaying at the ends of the rink (not end) is a disadvantage for the players as much as an inconvenience for the fans. Still, it bugged me too. That scoreboard cost 1.5 million.

I liked the seats (though cupholders would be nice), had great sightlines from where I was sitting, thought the restrooms were good. Again, anyone who remembers the old War Memorial has got to think BCA is a gem. Having gone to the last 2 regionals Cornell was in BCA wins hands-down over the DD in Providence. Marriucci is, well, pretty amazing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login