Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Rangers v.s Capitals

Posted by Mike k 
Rangers v.s Capitals
Posted by: Mike k (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 11:17PM

Did anybody see that game? That was amazing. The shoot out went 15 rounds before Malik of the rangers scored. He put he stick between his legs and flipped it up into the net. One of the best goals i've ever seen. What a game.

Re: Rangers v.s Capitals
Posted by: BCrespi (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 01:08AM

Oh man, I just got home a little while ago. Craziest stuff I've ever seen. Utterly rediculous that a shootout could go on that long. Luckily for the Rangers Lundquist stood on his head all night as they were definitely outplayed and outshot. Oh, and man is that Ovechkin good...

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 02:06AM

Yep, we went. Amazing game. I'm a "hockey purist" as JD likes to say and was against the shootout but I have to admit it was very exciting.

Incredible to see a big defenseman like Malik make that move...Kolzig was mesmerized by the puck-between-the-legs move.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:01AM

Good timing by me. Reading this thread, I said..."hey, that's the only team I get!" and just happened to flip it on for the late-night game replay to see the shootout in its 13th round. Even the Caps' announcers called it "the greatest shootout goal for years to come."

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:43AM

What a fantastic goal. Definitely worth seeing again and again.

The video's up on [www.nhl.com]
Only thing is you have to sign up for some free account. It took me a couple of seconds.

-Alex

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:15AM

Malik's still not worth 2.5 million a year, but damm....that was just silly.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 08:01AM

I too was not in favor of the shootout, but have to admit it has hooked me. Last night was amazing. Interesting to see Halpern and Moore turned aside on consecutive shots.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:25AM

urg. damn you comcast for showing nba and forcing a blackout of every other channel showing this game!!!! :-(

Posted by: BCrespi (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:38AM

He is really fantastic with the puck for such a big guy. I was talking all night about that. This is really what I was hoping Pokulok would blossom into, and hopefully it will still happen.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:53AM

Arggghhhh! Olie does a great job, but Lundquist?! Caps have the shootout video on their page. They've been very good about posting highlights after every game that CSN televises. At least it wasn't Moore that won it for them. I wonder what the rule is with injuries at the end of the shootout. Witt had left the game for good..... wonder if the league had thought about that.... i.e. if it had gotten to round 18, could the Caps have used Ovechkin while the Rangers are on their last skater.
[boss.streamos.com]

I wasn't a big fan, but don't mind for the regular season, as long as they don't ever think about doing it for the playoffs. There's no better time than playoff overtimes, uninterrupted by commercial breaks.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 12:20PM

I still don't like the shootout either, but that was amazing, and that's all you can say about it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 12:58PM

Well, I'm now convinced that I truly don't like the shootout, and it's not just resistance to change. I watched the whole 15 round video and didn't feel a damn thing, except annoyance that they'd reward a team for a skill competition - and I was trying to like it and thought I would. Instead, whenever the Rangers had a chance to win it with the last shot, "what? they'd get a point for this?"

Not only is it not hockey, but it encourages bad hockey. About 5 or more shooters completely lost control of the puck, or shot it wide, because they were trying to be fancy. Finally, when the guys scored in the 14 round, it was because they STOPPED trying to be fancy and just shot the puck. No, sir, I don't like it.

That said, Malik's move was nuts (you need the NHL video to really see that), and his reaction was priceless. But he probably had a 90% chance of failure to even connect with it. Crazy lucky moves are entertaining, but it's not what hockey is.

Thanks for the learning experience though ;)

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 01:00PM

What made the shootout even better was that twice in sudden death, the Caps opened the round with a goal and the Rangers had to score to keep it going, and did both times. And then for Malik to skate back up the ice with such a serious look on his face ... fantastic.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:29PM

It took me a couple of seconds to sign up, but I'm still waiting for the required "confirmation e-mail" fifteen minutes later. :-(

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 04:30PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:36PM

I have a video of a UNH player doing that in the middle of a game, very cool shot

Posted by: duffs4 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:52PM

I bet malik has made that move thousands of times in practice, in fact I bet most people on that team can make that shot, it's just not the most probable to go in. I think the shoot out is a great gimmik for getting people who aren't hockey purists to watch the game, just as long as it stays out of the playoffs. here's a good link to the move:

[www.badongo.com]

Posted by: MattShaf (192.216.36.---)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:17PM

Great Shootout.
The look on Malik's face after the goal was nearly as classic as the goal itself....he was like, you doubted that I was going to pull the puck between my legs and lift the puck top shelf to score...

Date: November 27, 2005 09:55PM

Rangers had lost Poti to an injury also fwiw.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:10PM

that's addition by subtraction.

Date: November 28, 2005 11:19PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
It took me a couple of seconds to sign up, but I'm still waiting for the required "confirmation e-mail" fifteen minutes later. [/q]

Still waiting... 27 hours later. :-(

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:
It took me a couple of seconds to sign up, but I'm still waiting for the required "confirmation e-mail" fifteen minutes later. [/Q]
Still waiting... 27 hours later.

Beeeej[/q]

Beeeej

Check out the post above by duffs4, it has a working link to the clip of the goal.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:
It took me a couple of seconds to sign up, but I'm still waiting for the required "confirmation e-mail" fifteen minutes later. [/Q]
Still waiting... 27 hours later.

Beeeej[/q]

Should've just used bugmenot.com

Posted by: devsfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:28PM

Rangers Suck... I bet your all Yankee fans too...
Wait for the playoffs when Brodeur is at full health and Elias is back.

Don't hate the Devils because they've won more cups in the last 10 years than the Rangers in the last 65.

Malik's goal was sick, but the Rangers still suck...

da da da dada da da da dada da da da dada
dadada
RANGERS SUCK

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:39PM

[Q]devsfan Wrote:

Wait for the playoffs when Brodeur is at full health and Elias is back.

Don't hate the Devils because they've won more cups in the last 10 years than the Rangers in the last 65.

Malik's goal was sick, but the Rangers still suck...

da da da dada da da da dada da da da dada
dadada
RANGERS SUCK[/q]

The devils ruined the NHL, they suck in the new NHL. The rangers are better. Fuck!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:41PM

[Q]devsfan Wrote:

[/q]

Yup, you better believe it, card carrying fan of both. That said, you left this one wide open...Don't hate the Yankees because they've won more championships than any teams that you may have rooted for in your life combined.
::braces for the backlash::

I'm not proud of it, but I couldn't let this go untouched.

Date: November 28, 2005 11:58PM

Thanks!

Awesome shot. :-D

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Molgestron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:12AM

I'm a proud Devils and Yankees fan. Probably one of the few that can say that.

And Malik's goal was pretty, but if I was coaching a player that did that I would be pissed. Although it looks nice, a trick shot like that fails much more often than it succeeds, and you always want to be giving yourself the best shot to win. I felt the same way about the Legg goal. It doesn't take away from the talent or "wow" factor of the shot, but I feel uneasy about guys pulling that in games. It's fun to watch though, as is a long shootout.

By the way, that exact shot is featured in every single NHL 06 promo and preview video. I've seen it so much in the game that when I saw the replay I first thought it was the video game.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.n)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:19AM

[Q]nr53 Wrote:

I have a video of a UNH player doing that in the middle of a game, very cool shot[/q]

Yeah, but in Hemingway's (IIRC) goal, he was basically going left-to-right across the goal crease - more impressive for Malik to pull it off headed straight up the slot.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:34AM

[Q]Molgestron Wrote:
Malik's goal was pretty, but if I was coaching a player that did that I would be pissed. Although it looks nice, a trick shot like that fails much more often than it succeeds, and you always want to be giving yourself the best shot to win. I felt the same way about the Legg goal.[/q]

What if your player combined the two moves, plus did a spin-o-rama while taking the shot?

[www.collegehumor.com]

Date: November 29, 2005 10:56AM

Nice whining from a Swamp Rats fan who can't accept reality.

Time you talked to Lou abouut signing stiffs like Malakhov.

Date: November 29, 2005 07:20PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Nice whining from a Swamp Rats fan who can't accept reality.

Time you talked to Lou abouut signing stiffs like Malakhov.[/q]

In Lou we trust. He brought us the great Parise.

Malakhov is the Devils' Ryan O'Byrne. For as much shit as he gets, he has a lethal shot from the point. And the Malakhov/McGillis signing was a decent cover when they lost Neidermayer and Stevens. No team's defense can recover immediately from that kind of loss.

The Rangers have played incredibly well so far, but I'm not sold that Lundqvist is for real (albeit that's based on the very few games I've been able to watch). I think at the end of the season, the Devils will be above them in the standings, especially now that they've started to gel as a team. I don't see either team beating Ottawa, Carolina, or Montreal, but it would be awesome if we could see a Rangers-Devils playoff series.

Date: November 29, 2005 07:49PM

Lou has done a fantastic job for many years, without question. I say that with a bit of envy knowing that sather has done a terrible job as Ranger GM/President...whatever the heck he is. rolleyes

But Malakhov is a career under-achiever and a selfish one at that. I'm surprised Lou since he left them after his first tour on a sour note.

As good as his shot may be...and I saw it first hand in his time with the Rangers, he's erratic on D as shown by his +/- and for a guy with his offensive talent, he's disappointing on the point on the PP.

For most of his career, he has been a major headache to his coaches. I'd have signed someone else with a lesser "name."

Perhaps Lou wishes he had never traded Willie Mitchell a few years back.

Date: November 30, 2005 01:20AM

Fair enough. I seem to remember Malakhov playing a big role down the stretch in his last season with the Devils (02? 03?) so maybe that's why Lou liked him. And I've attributed a lot of his recent poor play and stats to his being so injury prone. If he keeps playing like he has been, I'll be upset, but I feel like there's a lot more so hopefully he can bring that out.

An exciting game tonight for NJ, by the way. Mogilny scored the GWG off a faceoff with 30 seconds left. Hal Gill and Andrew Raycroft played incredibly for Boston, Jamie Langenbrunner sucked incredibly for NJ, and I threw stuff at the TV every time Barry Tallackson touched the puck. I also liked how each time Andrew Alberts (not sure of his name, but the Bruins player from BC) went to the penalty box, the fan sitting immediately behind the box, wearing a Maine Black Bears sweatshirt would bang on the glass. Nice to see the college game get represented. And for those wondering (or just RichS) Malakhov did not play because of an injury. :-O

I love watching the cleaner and crisper NHL teams, but something about it is less fun than watching the college game. I wouldn't waste my time with Ottawa-Pittsburgh for example, but I would gladly see Wisconsin-Yale, just because I think Yale has a much better chance of winning. As much as I'd like to see Cornell win every game 7-1, I like the trend towards parity in college hockey, and I think it makes the game much more appealing to outsiders.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 01:53AM

I'd watch Ottawa just to see that top line.

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: November 30, 2005 01:15PM

OR you can just go to the Caps website and watch it for free, with no signing up for anything. You can even fast forward through the first 14 rounds.

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: November 30, 2005 01:19PM

here here! I'm also a Yankees/Devils fan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2005 01:20PM by Erica.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login