Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC in Albany, thread 2

Posted by DeltaOne81 
ECAC in Albany, thread 2
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2002 02:34PM

I figured it was time for a new thread on this... we're done longer, but why not get a fresh start?

Press conference at 11 am today - now 2:30 pm

USCHO.com... no mention

hockey.ecac.org... no mention

this board... no mention

pepsiarena.com... [www.pepsiarena.com]

Well, it took some searching, but there ya go - it's official, for three years, prices are roughly the same, and you get a free program - and a commemorative one at that! Take that 'Placid! ;-) j/k

-Fred

Re: ECAC in Albany, thread 2
Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: June 18, 2002 03:17PM

yark

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: June 18, 2002 03:55PM

As much as I like Placid and as much as I dread weekends in the Capital District (having to stay the extra day in the '98 playoffs was awful), I may actually go this year since it is now much easier for me to get to.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: June 18, 2002 03:58PM

Three years? Did they get that in writing? rolleyes

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: June 18, 2002 04:17PM

Oh, c'mon, Keith, that card game we played all afternoon Sunday wasn't exciting enough for you? (Or maybe my driving?)

Yeah, I'm trying to look at this glass as half-full, too. I wanted Gore as president, but I was happy about my taxes with Bush. So now I'll focus on the four hours less driving, the better hotel policies, and the Big House Brewery a few blocks from the Peps^H^H^H^HKnick.

Beeeeej

Date: June 18, 2002 06:42PM

Link updates:

the official article from the ECAC -
[hockey.ecac.org]

the official article from USCHO -
coming soon, meanwhile they have a blurb on their main page

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: June 18, 2002 07:52PM

Well, Hearts on the floor of Houston while watching little kids play hockey was fun, but it does say something about the area... And the driving was an added bonus :-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: June 18, 2002 09:37PM

Having no choice, I'll give up and accept it. I hope this turns out to be half as much fun as Lake Placid was. I hope more Cornellians show up in the years Cornell makes it, since the location is more central and motel accomodations should be easier to make, and also because we are rid of the ill-conceived PIG and are once more guaranteed 2 games if we make the trip.

Besides the Best Westerns in Troy and Schenectady, where else is there to stay in the Cap District area?

Date: June 18, 2002 11:12PM

All the usual national chains have properties either in the city or very close by. Just don't stay at the Motel 6 - Mark and I stayed there for the regionals in '96, and even by Motel 6 standards, it was absolutely awful.

Beeeej

Date: June 19, 2002 09:09AM

How about hotels within walking distance of The Arena Formerly Known as Knickerbocker?

As someone who has to go to a fair amount of effort to attend the ECACs, when it's even possible, I'm prepared to stay away for three years and hope the new location is a flop and the ECAC sees the error of its ways. Of course, given the way the league screwed over Placid, they probably wouldn't want us back. :-/

Posted by: Spaceman (---.vtjobs.com)
Date: June 19, 2002 10:53AM

JTW,

Can't you see by the ELynah poll that more people want to be in Albany? If the majority of people want it there, that's where is it should be.

Date: June 19, 2002 10:58AM

The majority of people prefer college basketball to college hockey. Does that mean we should turn college hockey into college basketball?

Not to mention the small matter of a handshake agreement with the Lake Placid organizers...

Posted by: Spaceman (---.vtjobs.com)
Date: June 19, 2002 11:04AM

John,

Hand shake or no hand shake you'd still want the ECAC to be at a venue that people can not afford and can't get to.

Would you keep killing the ECAC or your own busniess for a hand shake? There was no verbal contract. The ECAC and ORDA said they would get a contract done and they never did.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: June 19, 2002 03:12PM

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. The eLynah poll is almost certainly comprised of people who prefer college hockey to college bball. And even that subset preferred Albany to LP.

I think if you are coming from Brownsville, Portland, Switzerland or some other high-distance locale that reflects an admirably high dedication to attending the tournament, the few extra hours to LP seem worth the trouble. If the choice is 2 hours or 6, plus LP gouging, I think you can see why most of us prefer Albany.

(I apologize. I didn't mean to rehash that debate again.)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 19, 2002 03:47PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Of course, given the way the league screwed over Placid, they probably wouldn't want us back. :-/

Given the way the Placid merchants screwed over us fans, this fan hopes never to have to go back.

Date: June 20, 2002 12:52AM

Having the tournament in Placid was "killing the ECAC"? Buttafuoco himself said "We knew that attendance in Placid was good, but we thought we could do better here." And the first quotes coming from the coaches said similar things: Placid is good, but they thought Albany would be better. Hardly sounds like grounds for backing out of a deal. And given the accounts in the sidebar at [www.uscho.com] about the ECAC not returning the ORDA's phone calls, it sounds like it was done with Irsay-like flair.

Bottom line: I think the ECACs in Lake Placid were a beautiful thing and moving them to Albany is a terrible idea. During the whole stupid discussion on the USCHO board, I could take consolation in the fact that they were committed to Placid through 2005 and we were "safe" from bad ideas at least until then. Little did I know the league would find a loophole and place perceived self-interest over principle. If the league had switched sites at the end of its contract, I would still think it was a bad idea and be disappointed, but to have it done like this effectively yanks the rug out from under all of us who were looking forward to at least three more years of Lake Placid Immersion.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: June 21, 2002 05:34AM

The eLynah poll is composed of people who vote whenever the poll lets them.

Anyway, while the move will go down in the miserable annals of the Earth as a mistake, there's nothing we can do about it now but say yeah sure this is what we wanted all along. So, woohoo, here we come Albany! (weak smile)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: June 21, 2002 09:58AM

The poll lets you vote once per computer or per IP address. It checks against a cookie it makes and your IP, so you'd have to change computers AND IPs to vote multiple times. It's as good as accurate as you can get without needing some kind of verified account to vote.

Poll mechanics
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.phys.utb.edu)
Date: June 21, 2002 10:16AM

Actually, this is related to a feature of the poll I wondered about: whether I see a poll or poll results seems to depend on a cookie on the machine I'm using, even if I'm logged in, which means that I can only see the results of a poll on the machine from which I voted (unless I vote again!). How difficult would it be to keep track of polls the same way you keep track of new messages, by either cookie or login as appropriate?

Posted by: JordanCS (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 21, 2002 10:21AM

I happen to think that there is one major reason for moving to Albany...same normal ice size. I think it's wrong to play an entire season on a sheet of ice that is roughly the same size everywhere, then go to an enormous sheet that changes the game. Sure, the good teams usually adjust just fine, but it seems very dumb to me to have the PLAYOFFS be the only time you play on Olympic ice.

Jordan (who won't be able to go to any ECAC tournys in the near future, due to the small fact that he'll be living in Europe)

Relocation
Date: June 21, 2002 10:43AM

Jordan Steele '01 wrote:

Jordan (who won't be able to go to any ECAC tournys in the near future, due to the small fact that he'll be living in Europe)
But on the up side, you'll probably get to see professional hockey played in something approaching the college atmosphere.

Where in Europe/Ou en Europe/Wo in Europa/Dove nel'Europa/Donde en Europa/etc?

Date: June 21, 2002 10:47AM

My IP address changes every time I dial in, but my computer remains the same. Yet I've been allowed to vote several times in every poll eLF has had. I can only assume the same is true of many other people, since I'm also pretty sure that there aren't 200+ active eLF readers in June. I think the polls don't work the way you think they do, Age.

Beeeej

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: June 21, 2002 10:54AM

Gotta agree with Beeeej here. I think the implementation may not actually be working as designed.

I have a static ip at work and a pseudostatic one at home (the DCHP client on my router leases the same ip number for months on end). Yet in spite of this, I find that can vote multiple times on polls from the same machine.

Date: June 21, 2002 12:27PM

That's odd. It works as expected on all the machines I use. It's a completely different mechanism than the forum login. Other than making lots of changes to how it's displayed, I haven't touched the voting code, and frankly don't care enough to. It's close enough. Also, just because it shows you the poll and lets you vote, it might not be counting your vote if the IP's already in there. At any rate, I've been immersed in a new eLynah project which I hope to unveil before the end of the year. Some of you know what it is, the rest of you could probably have figured it out from some of my postings, but it's close to done.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: June 21, 2002 01:04PM

Just a note on this topic...

If you switch browsers on the same computer, the cookie won't carry over and it'll let you vote again, especially if you're on dial-up and get different IPs. Also, you may have cookies turned off in your browser prefs.

Other than that, I dunno, and considering these polls are hardly designed to be scientific, it's probably not a big deal. Maybe a "show results" like would be nice for people who don't want to "cheat" and vote again to see the results, but technically, if you let people vote multiple times, then you're you're not only measurng opinion, but stregth of the opinion (assuming you vote more if you care so), so it's actually more accurate! ;-)

-Fred

Date: June 21, 2002 01:29PM

In which case, the vote won't be counted because the IP is the same.

And as for showing results, it's right there in the menubar on the left.

Date: June 21, 2002 02:48PM

Greg - are you implying that the Woo Hoo for Albany poll results are corrupted like the results of [Clarkson player other than Todd White] for Hobey on the USCHO poll? (Heck, even the Todd White for Hobey results were a result of stuffing, but at least he deserved the recognition.)

[And for RichS: Yes, I am aware that a number of Cornellians have advocated stuffing the ballot box for our guys as well. We just haven't done it with the consistency or success that Clarkson has.]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 21, 2002 05:32PM

With a "strength of opinion" feature, Age would have to add more digits to the counter to tabulate Greg's votes. nut

Date: June 21, 2002 06:30PM

. . . and yours . . . ;-)

Date: June 22, 2002 12:48PM

[Q]In which case, the vote won't be counted because the IP is the same.[/Q]

What if you dialed up into a different IP *and* switched browsers (or cleared cookies). Not saying you could really do anything about that situation, just looking for an explanation.

Re: Relocation
Posted by: JordanCS (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 23, 2002 10:52AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
[Q] But on the up side, you'll probably get to see professional hockey played in something approaching the college atmosphere.

Where in Europe/Ou en Europe/Wo in Europa/Dove nel'Europa/Donde en Europa/etc?[/Q]

That would be "Wo in Europa?", although they haven't told me exactly where. I might be able to sneak out to the first game of the year, but even that will be tough.

I should get my pinpoint assignment soon, but all I have now is that I've been assigned to th 64th Replacement Detachment in Frankfurt...which is just the center that processes all Army personel for assignment in Germany. I'll be at one of the several posts around the country. I'll let you all know exactly where I'll be soon.

German Hockey Homepage
Date: June 23, 2002 12:59PM

In that case, the link you want is [hockey.muc4u.net]

And if they keep you in Frankfurt, you're in luck, since Lance Nethery now seems to be head coach of the Frankfurt Lions.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: June 24, 2002 10:50AM

Well, then in that case, there's a Java app that monitors mouse movement. Every person has a signature way of manupulating a mouse or trackball and there's an imprint of that signature in the database. If whoever votes matches an existing signarture with 99.97% accuracy, it also discounts the vote. rolleyes

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: June 27, 2002 08:20PM

What if I vote lefty? :-P

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: June 27, 2002 08:39PM

You mean you don't always?;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: June 27, 2002 08:56PM

LOL. No, but man I'm getting more and more convinced. ;-)

Posted by: ursusminor (---)
Date: June 28, 2002 04:25AM

For what it is worth, I have been allowed to vote on the USCHO poll on their front page every time that I sign on from my home computer. So there must be a similar problem there. I don't have this "problem" from my work computer or when voting in polls on the USCHO message board.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: June 28, 2002 09:17AM

Probably have cookies turned off and you're behind a firewall or some other screwyness. I'm pretty sure it doesn't count your votes more than once though.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: July 16, 2002 04:32PM

It's interesting to watch the ballot box slowly being stuffed;-)

What's really important is that Mike couldn't be more happy to be out of LP and into Albany.

Posted by: RichS (---)
Date: July 20, 2002 10:45AM

Without going back through this entire thread, why is he so happy to be in Albany? Besides the potential greater cornell alumni support?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: July 22, 2002 09:51AM

RichS wrote:

Without going back through this entire thread, why is he so happy to be in Albany? Besides the potential greater cornell alumni support?
Two words: Smaller ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login