Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Union 2 @ Cornell 1 (postgame thread 11/18/05)

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Union 2 @ Cornell 1 (postgame thread 11/18/05)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:28PM

[q]"Once is happenstance, twice is circumstance, but three times is enemy action." -- Ian Fleming[/q]Losing to Dartmouth 6-1 was bizarre. Losing to Union 2-1 despite outplaying and outshooting them, that's understandable - odd bounces can determine the outcome of low-scoring games. But coming in consecutive games, this kind of stuff makes you worry.

A lot of us thought Union was going to be the punching back Cornell took it out on. Nope. RPI maybe?

Cornell needs to work on its penalty kill - preferably by not getting called for so many -- and improve the power play. Cornell was what, 1x8 or 1x9 tonight?

Does it seem like we have incredible sharpshooters at forward and we don't have, yet, the goals that should go with it? OTOH, Moulson does have a lot of points already. Are we expecting even more from him, like putting up WCHA kinds of point totals?

Still, it's disappointing this early in the season. Lots of time left to turn it around this season, but it feels a lot more mixed than going 1-1 against Michigan State.

O'Byrne may be one of Cornell's very best defensemen, but he made his critics' case with the turnover leading to the second goal.

On the positive side, Cornell's GAA is going down with games like this.

Let's hope for a return to normalcy Saturday night.

Re: Union 2 @ Cornell 1 (postgame thread 11/18/05)
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:34PM

I'll copy over what I said on the game thread:

The difference in this game, we made 1 major mistake and they took advantage of it and scored. The first goal was kind of weird, I think it may have hit Pegoraro and then went off McKees shoulder and in. The second goal was a turnover behind the net and a very nice centering pass by the union player. Not really McKee's fault, but its a save i've seen him make before. He looked much more comfortable out there tonight. Other than that 10 second or whatever period where Union scored their two goals I think the team looked pretty good. The first pp unit had some beautiful passing, but just couldn't convert on some deflections and 1 timers. We still need to find the right combo for a 2nd pp unit. Coach is still messing around with the lines as they changed late in the 3rd, it'll be interesting to see what he puts out there tomorrow night.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:37PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

"Once is happenstance, twice is circumstance, but three times is enemy action." -- Ian Fleming[/Q]

Let's hope for a return to normalcy Saturday night. [/q]

Sheesh, Warren Harding territory. The Red's record makes me ill. The team must feel like....

This season is beginning to remind me of two years ago.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:42PM

Things I noticed:
-Cornell now has a noticable nike swoosh on the front of their socks ...
-The reffing was, in my opinion, pretty good ... although I don't know how nothing was called when the Union player clearly knocked the puck out of the zone with only his shaft after his stick broke.
-Why is O'Byrne on the power play? He is a solid defenseman, but he's more of an Adam Foote than a Brian Leetch. PLAY SALMELA if we're that desperate for d-men.
-Even though we only scored 1 goal, I like the lines. We had plenty of chances.
-Why did it take so long to get Topher onto the ice in the last minute? We had 2 freshmen on for most of the last minute, and that hurt because one of them paniced and blasted a slapshot into the defenders pads, and it bounced out of the zone.
-Even though we lost, we clearly outplayed Union.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:43PM

Awful game to watch tonight, just not remotely entertaining. Cornell didn't play badly at all but Union played the perfect road game. They capitalized on their chances (all two of them) and played really tough defense the whole night. Thought Schafer made some questionable decisions tonight, starting with scratching Barlow only to give Kindret four shifts. Shifts after goals are the most important and Davenport was on the ice the shift after Union tied it up. First goal was very questionable on McKee. Second goal wasn't good either. Need a lot more intensity and desperation from start to finish. Two straight games where Cornell hasn't scored an even strength goal. Union played the defensive zone perfectly not allowin gCornell to get anywhere near the net. I can't even talk about it anymore. Just extremely frustrating.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2005 09:51PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:43PM

Agreed that Cornell was the better team everywhere except in the final score. And yet ... a superior team, playing at home, with incentive to put a bad loss behind it, was unable to make up one goal in the final two periods. I guess we're all waiting for Cornell to explode and do something completely dominating like that Ryan Vesce seven-point night against Princeton three (?) years ago.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:45PM

Just back from the game; here are a few notes:

*Seminoff probably played the best of any of the defenseman, he was solid and did not make nearly as many mistakes as he did the weekend against MSU. However, he is still being beat off the puck as noted by the penalty he took in the first.
*As I have said in previous posts, O'Byrne is simply not fit to be the top defenseman on this team. He made at least 6 mistakes with the puck that led to turnovers (including GWG, and then on a faceoff in the second went to shoot the puck around the back of the goal and came close to scoring Union's 3rd goal (This may have been hard for anyone to see save for those of us in O). The mistakes that he continues to make are mindboggling and unacceptable.
*The problem with this team is that there is no defined leader as there has been in past years. No one on this team has stepped up yet to assume that role, and until it happens it is going to be a very long year.
*That said, they did play a full 60 minutes (or close to it) and I think we are moving in the right direction. See everyone tomorrow night!!

LGR!!

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:46PM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:

*Seminoff probably played the best of any of the defenseman, he was solid and did not make nearly as many mistakes as he did the weekend against MSU. However, he is still being beat off the puck as noted by the penalty he took in the first.
*As I have said in previous posts, O'Byrne is simply not fit to be the top defenseman on this team. He made at least 6 mistakes with the puck that led to turnovers (including GWG, and then on a faceoff in the second went to shoot the puck around the back of the goal and came close to scoring Union's 3rd goal (This may have been hard for anyone to see save for those of us in O). The mistakes that he continues to make are mindboggling and unacceptable.
*The problem with this team is that there is no defined leader as there has been in past years. No one on this team has stepped up yet to assume that role, and until it happens it is going to be a very long year.
*That said, they did play a full 60 minutes (or close to it) and I think we are moving in the right direction. See everyone tomorrow night!!

LGR!![/q]

It was Davenport that made the mistake that lead to the GWG

Date: November 18, 2005 09:48PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Drew042 Wrote:

LGR!![/Q]
[/q]

Or both of them, they were passing to each other and it was stolen.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:49PM

It's already been said but Cornell was not outplayed in this game, thankfully.

My thinking as i just get home from the game is that Union probably only had 2 scoring chances the entire game. They just happened to score on both.

Cornell had loads of chances, but Mayotte, like he usually does with Cornell, stopped all but one. 33 shots on goal and maybe twice as many hit bodies in front or went wide. It's hard to say after that game in Hanover but this game was a fluke loss, one Cornell would win 9 times out of 10.

Date: November 18, 2005 09:49PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Drew042 Wrote:

LGR!![/Q]
[/q]

Yeah, it was Davenport. O'Byrne wasn't great tonight but wasn't in the best situation having to play with someone who was playing his second college game. Not sure why Davenport was out there on the shift after getting scored on.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:51PM

in some bizarro world i could appreciate the fact that o'byrne has such an obvious pattern of making the same mistake over and over. it's almost cute. and mckee bailed him out of it about once a game over the past couple seasons. but i guess now we're seeing that he can't cover o'byrne's ass forever. i don't really know if coach can afford to bench him just to "send a message," though. there has to be some better way of teaching him a lesson. they eventually cured underhill of his weird dropping-the-stick-to-cover-with-the-blocker thing, right? but then never cured murray of his tendency to let puck after puck after puck after puck after puck out of the offensive zone on power plays, and we seemed to look the other way on that one (well, except age, and i can't really blame him on that one). maybe someday, somehow, they'll fix o'byrne.

now, i'm the king of the mckee-has-always-been-overrated club, but i can't really fault him too much for tonight's goals. he might've stopped them before, but we've seen most college goaltenders give up similar ones to cornell players before. his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game). and like everyone said, the offense deserves responsibility for only putting up one goal tonight. nobody wants to go back to our 2.00 gfa and 2.00 gaa season after the last few.

Date: November 18, 2005 09:54PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:

Drew042 Wrote:

LGR!![/Q]
[/Q]
Or both of them, they were passing to each other and it was stolen.[/q]

It was Davenport...the guy passed it right to two Union forwards

Date: November 18, 2005 09:56PM

[Q]Jacob 03 Wrote:

in some bizarro world i could appreciate the fact that o'byrne has such an obvious pattern of making the same mistake over and over. it's almost cute. and mckee bailed him out of it about once a game over the past couple seasons. but i guess now we're seeing that he can't cover o'byrne's ass forever. i don't really know if coach can afford to bench him just to "send a message," though. there has to be some better way of teaching him a lesson. they eventually cured underhill of his weird dropping-the-stick-to-cover-with-the-blocker thing, right? but then never cured murray of his tendency to let puck after puck after puck after puck after puck out of the offensive zone on power plays, and we seemed to look the other way on that one (well, except age, and i can't really blame him on that one). maybe someday, somehow, they'll fix o'byrne.

now, i'm the king of the mckee-has-always-been-overrated club, but i can't really fault him too much for tonight's goals. he might've stopped them before, but we've seen most college goaltenders give up similar ones to cornell players before. his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game). and like everyone said, the offense deserves responsibility for only putting up one goal tonight. nobody wants to go back to our 2.00 gfa and 2.00 gaa season after the last few. [/q]

No way, the fourth MSU goal in the second game was the weakest he's let in. It went under his left arm, much like the first goal tonight. That is a shot that should be stopped in my opinion.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:58PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Jacob 03 Wrote:

now, i'm the king of the mckee-has-always-been-overrated club, but i can't really fault him too much for tonight's goals. he might've stopped them before, but we've seen most college goaltenders give up similar ones to cornell players before. his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game). and like everyone said, the offense deserves responsibility for only putting up one goal tonight. nobody wants to go back to our 2.00 gfa and 2.00 gaa season after the last few. [/Q]
No way, the fourth MSU goal in the second game was the weakest he's let in. It went under his left arm, much like the first goal tonight. That is a shot that should be stopped in my opinion. [/q]

his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game)

Date: November 18, 2005 09:59PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Jacob 03 Wrote:

now, i'm the king of the mckee-has-always-been-overrated club, but i can't really fault him too much for tonight's goals. he might've stopped them before, but we've seen most college goaltenders give up similar ones to cornell players before. his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game). and like everyone said, the offense deserves responsibility for only putting up one goal tonight. nobody wants to go back to our 2.00 gfa and 2.00 gaa season after the last few. [/Q]
No way, the fourth MSU goal in the second game was the weakest he's let in. It went under his left arm, much like the first goal tonight. That is a shot that should be stopped in my opinion. [/q]

My dad sits right behind the goal in section J and had a perfect view of the first goal... He said it was NOT deflected, but it bounced off McKee's blocker into the net. Talk about deflating considering our PK was phenomenal--it must suck when the first shot you allow on a PK after a number of PK's is a goal.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2005 09:59PM

Actually the GWG was both defensemens fault. The first goal was a horrendous goal to give up, McKee should of saved it easily. I think we have a clear lack of finishing skills on this team. Time after time we would get a chance but not put the puck home ever. Our PP sucks, it is the most predictable thing I have ever seen. O'Byrne should not be on the PP, either have Salmela or Krantz. I think Schaf should sit Krantz and Seminoff both are defensive liabilities. Does anyone know the reason why Glover was not playing, because I consider him one of our better defensemen. McKee of last year would of had a shutout in this game. Our PP is still frustrating me, and I think it is mostly because it is too predictable which leads to lack of shots on it. I want to see us cycle the puck a little more down low on the PP and then send it up top for the quick one timer with the forwards crashing the net. I still did as much passion out there as I would of thought being only a 2-1 game. We clearly dominated the game but not because we played better but clearly we are just that more skilled then Union. If we dont find another natural goal scorer besides Moulson this year is going to be very long and I predict will only go 500.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:00PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

Jacob 03 Wrote:

No way, the fourth MSU goal in the second game was the weakest he's let in. It went under his left arm, much like the first goal tonight. That is a shot that should be stopped in my opinion. [/Q]
his second goal to harvard is still the easiest goal i've seen him give up all season (having missed the dartmouth game)[/q]

the first one tonight was WORSE (I hade a pretty good view of both)...he had all kinds of time to see their shooter and wasn't screened.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:01PM

is it just me or did mckee look...well...depressed?

I saw that when he was preparing the ice in front of the net in the third, he was doing it very slowly and spent most of the game sluggish. There didn't seem to be any fire in him, just trying to get by.

And what was up with the Tuba tonight? I think that summed up the game, though I did laugh a lot....

Date: November 18, 2005 10:01PM

The 3rd goal in the second MSU game has to be in the running as well.

McKee isn't making any big saves, and he is missing some easy ones.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

I think Schaf should sit Krantz and Seminoff both are defensive liabilities. [/q]

I thought Seminoff played excellent. We must have been watching a different game.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:03PM

Lets all argue about which goal was our goalie's softest goal this season, because that is clearly a good topic of conversation in a post game thread about the union game.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:04PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

The 3rd goal in the second MSU game has to be in the running as well.

McKee isn't making any big saves, and he is missing some easy ones.[/q]

I don't think most had a good view of the 2-1 shorthanded breakaway by Union at the end of the first, but McKee went down almost before their leading skater passed the puck. The second Union skater lost his footing otherwise it would have been another goal.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:07PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

TCHL8842 Wrote:

I think Schaf should sit Krantz and Seminoff both are defensive liabilities. [/Q]
I thought Seminoff played excellent. We must have been watching a different game.[/q]

I just want Seminoff to sit because he seems to be a bit slow in getting to the right spot and takes way way to many penalties. Sitting him for a game or two will be a wake up call for him to realize if he still takes that many penalties he is going to be sitting

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:08PM

Thoughts:

- In my opinion, except for ~18 seconds or so, I think Cornell played a pretty solid defensive game tonight. Despite the loss, it was absolutely a step up from the craptacular Dartmouth loss. The problem is, we really needed for this game to be three steps up.
- I've been pretty critical of O'Byrne for a while now. I've always felt he's very hot and cold--either he's the best defenseman in the world or he's turning over the puck at exactly the worst time and place in a game. For the first few games this season, he seemed to be 'hot'. Tonight, though, he was frozen, and I'm not just talking about being partially responsible for the GWG. All game he seemed to be very uneasy with the puck.
- Is it just me, or has Pokulok just not been very impressive ever since his injury last season? Particularly on the attack, he just looked like he didn't know what he was doing. I guess he's still solid defensively, but right now, that's not saying a lot.
- Mayotte stood on his head to steal the win for Union. Nevertheless, there were more than a few times that he got really lucky.
- It's going to be a long season. I'm afraid we're probably going to see a few more close losses like this before the season's over. Hopefully, though, we'll still find a way to make everything click for the postseason.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell needs to work on its penalty kill - preferably by not getting called for so many -- and improve the power play. Cornell was what, 1x8 or 1x9 tonight?
[/q]

Our penalty kill (excluding McKee) was fabulous. We looked as good tonight on the PK as we did last season. Union didn't really have a single "A" chance on the PP all night.

[Q]
Does it seem like we have incredible sharpshooters at forward and we don't have, yet, the goals that should go with it? OTOH, Moulson does have a lot of points already. Are we expecting even more from him, like putting up WCHA kinds of point totals?
[/q]

I posted this on the USCHO game thread this afternoon, but I don't think we have enough goal scorers. We have a ton of setup guys just not enough scorers. And tonight it caught up with us.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:14PM

Cam Abbott has gotta start converting on his many scoring opportunities. Cornell is not a very dangerous offensive team right now.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:15PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Cam Abbott has gotta start converting on his many scoring opportunities. Cornell is not a very dangerous offensive team right now.[/q]

I've never seen a player generate so much offense with so little to show for it.

Posted by: Sam '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:17PM

Yeah he was definitely beat, no question... they choked otherwise it would have been in. I noticed that too, I thought then it might be almost Chabot time...

Date: November 18, 2005 10:17PM

Should also point out that the ice was maybe the worse I have ever seen it at Lynah, particularly in the first period in the zone at the scoreboard side of the ice. Too much passing off the rush for Cornell considering the puck never ever stayed flat.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:20PM

I haven't really been too worried about McKee until tonight. It wasn't anything I thought he should have saved or could have saved, it was that his routine isn't there anymore.

Goaltending is a lot about confidence, and confident goalies just do their thing as if they are the only ones on the ice. McKee is usually a skater, skating to one corner then the other, tapping the posts and crossbar, then getting set. He never left the net once during the second period when Cornell was defending by my seats. If he skated at the other end I must've missed it, maybe someone else can fill me in. That just worried me a little bit, as it seems he's changing what he normally does.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:22PM

[Q]oceanst41 Wrote:

I haven't really been too worried about McKee until tonight. It wasn't anything I thought he should have saved or could have saved, it was that his routine isn't there anymore.
[/q]

You must not have been at the Dartmouth game:-(

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:24PM

The first 10 minutes of the game, we were clearly outplaying them. I was really diappointed in the effort being put in on the Cornell side after that. We didn't hustle nearly as much as I'm used to seeing, and a lot of our passes weren't being caught. The only part of the game I thought we dominated was the penalty kill.

We did shine through and hustle at times; we just never kept it going long enough in my opinion.

-Alex Barash '07
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2005 10:25PM by RazzBaronZ.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:24PM

No thank god, but I watched online. To be fair the D didn't really help him any in that game. His getting pulled was as much to save what confidence he had left as it was he just didn't have his game that night.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:29PM

[Q]RazzBaronZ Wrote:

The first 10 minutes of the game, we were clearly outplaying them. I was really diappointed in the effort being put in on the Cornell side after that. We didn't hustle nearly as much as I'm used to seeing, and a lot of our passes weren't being caught. The only part of the game I thought we dominated was the penalty kill.

We did shine through and hustle at times; we just never kept it going long enough in my opinion.

-Alex Barash '07

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/18/05 10:25PM by RazzBaronZ.[/q]

I thought it was a classic Cornell hockey game. We kept the puck in their zone all night long. We won the majority of the battles along the boards. We actually finished checks. We dominated the SOG. We just lost the goaltending battle.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:30PM

Coach should start Chabot tommorrow night, McKee is just simply horrible right now. Anybody know what his save percentage is now? Agreed, O'byrne is horrible on the powerplay unit, he has no common sense! Dump the damn puck into the corner if you have no option to pass with a guy coming at you!!!!!twak I think I counted 4 or 5 turnovers by O'byrne at the blue line when we were on the power play. I also agree with the assessment of the freshmen, they suck, plain and simple. They have no legs under them yet, and they take stupid penalties. Where is Barlow? He seems to be the most productive of our poor freshman class.

Posted by: Sam '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:30PM

I'm right behind McKee in G and I swear the first goal bounced _down_ after it hit him, someone above said it went off the blocker and that makes sense (I thought it hit his shoulder but the bounce was awful odd). He must have been a little screened to be out of line like that.

Also, Mayotte almost let in what was practically a dump in during the 2nd, he comitted to his left and had to dive right, it was pretty funny. He deflected it into the side of the net, almost the post.

It was still a fun time at the game, I thought the reffing was pretty good which is always nice. Nice scrappy D by Union, there's plenty of time to turn it up before March.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:31PM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:

TCHL8842 Wrote:

I think Schaf should sit Krantz and Seminoff both are defensive liabilities. [/Q]
I thought Seminoff played excellent. We must have been watching a different game.[/Q]
I just want Seminoff to sit because he seems to be a bit slow in getting to the right spot and takes way way to many penalties. Sitting him for a game or two will be a wake up call for him to realize if he still takes that many penalties he is going to be sitting[/q]

The penalty he took that put Union on the PP when they scored was a total dive job by Union.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Coach should start Chabot tommorrow night, McKee is just simply horrible right now. Anybody know what his save percentage is now?[/q]

I'm sorry, there's no way you can even begin to blame this game on McKee.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Coach should start Chabot tommorrow night, McKee is just simply horrible right now. Anybody know what his save percentage is now?[/Q]
I'm sorry, there's no way you can even begin to blame this game on McKee.[/q]

If you take away the first goal, it's at least a tie.

Of course, since Cornell had all the momentum then, it could have been much much more.

Even the D played well tonight. McKee was outplayed by the netminder at the other end of the ice, and that was the difference.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:37PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Coach should start Chabot tommorrow night, McKee is just simply horrible right now. Anybody know what his save percentage is now?[/Q]
I'm sorry, there's no way you can even begin to blame this game on McKee.[/q]

Other than the 2nd goal (which as far as I am concerned was scored by Davenport) he didn't have a single big save to make all game including the one he should have made on the first goal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2005 10:38PM by redhair34.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:45PM

All you people that say there was no way he was screened on that first goal weren't watching the same game I was watching. Pegoraro went down for a block on that shot and either missed it or barely hit the puck, and I think thats why McKee didn't quite get to the right spot to stop it. After he deflected it you saw a look of desperation on his face trying to dive back and get it before it dropped in.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:52PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

RazzBaronZ Wrote:

-Alex Barash '07

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/18/05 10:25PM by RazzBaronZ.[/Q]
I thought it was a classic Cornell hockey game. We kept the puck in their zone all night long. We won the majority of the battles along the boards. We actually finished checks. We dominated the SOG. We just lost the goaltending battle.[/q]

See, I thought it was more of a classic Cornell-Union game of the last few years. Was very similar to the game that was played at Union last year, at Union in 03-04 and at home vs. Union in 03-04.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.251.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:52PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

All you people that say there was no way he was screened on that first goal weren't watching the same game I was watching. Pegoraro went down for a block on that shot and either missed it or barely hit the puck, and I think thats why McKee didn't quite get to the right spot to stop it. After he deflected it you saw a look of desperation on his face trying to dive back and get it before it dropped in.[/q]

If you have all-access, the video archive is already up. The goals comes about 37 minutes into the video so you can see for yourself. I'm not smart enough to make a screen capture and post it here. Perhaps someone else can. The angle gives you a good idea of the traffic (one white jersey on one knee) between McKee and the shooter.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:56PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Jacob '06 Wrote:

All you people that say there was no way he was screened on that first goal weren't watching the same game I was watching. Pegoraro went down for a block on that shot and either missed it or barely hit the puck, and I think thats why McKee didn't quite get to the right spot to stop it. After he deflected it you saw a look of desperation on his face trying to dive back and get it before it dropped in.[/Q]
If you have all-access, the video archive is already up. The goals comes about 37 minutes into the video so you can see for yourself. I'm not smart enough to make a screen capture and post it here. Perhaps someone else can. The angle gives you a good idea of the traffic (one white jersey on one knee) between McKee and the shooter. [/q]

My point being that the one player on one knee prevented Mckee from seeing the angle the shot came from, or tipped the puck and changed the angle of the shot. That was my impression seeing the goal live, I don't have all access so I don't have the pleasure of replay. If I'm wrong i'm wrong, the people with the replay can tell it how it is.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 10:59PM

observations from watching the web cast this year (2 msu, dc and union) so take these however you like. it appeared we have a few major issues to address:
(1) leadership; is there any? don't get me wrong, there are a few guys who seemingly fly all over
    the ice but that doesn't necessarily translate into motivation for the other guys. but this team 
    plays a lot like the ry-ry team of 03-04. no killer instinct. 

(2) goaltending; weak at best. not cornell-like in the slightest. mckee has been soft all season and 
    continued that streak tonight. in addition, our d-men are still failing to clear rebounds in the 
    low slot. get it together boys!

(3) our breakout; it sucks and reminds me of past big red teams who could not get out of their own zone.

(4) power play: this teams PP is reminiscent of the 01-02 team that just couldn't get off a shot. 
    i'm not sure passing is going to put the puck on goal. or if they count so many passes as a goal. 
    And sit O’B … can you say liability. 

(5) finishing; for a team with as much talent as this one has, there is little to no reason we have scored 
    so few goals. We cannot continue to hope #24 carries us on his shoulders.
if this team continues this type of play we're in for a long 00-01/01-02-type season (minus the stifling defense). uhoh i did like some of the line combinations Coach put out late in the third. i think carefoot on the top line with bitz and moulson looked solid. we need to get glover back in the line up and O'B needs to sit his ass out for a few games. brutal, absolutely brutal. although davenport was worse, get salmela some pt, we can’t do much worse than davenport did. they did seemingly skate well tonight but this program it’s in it for moral victories they’re not out there to say “we gave it our best shot, better luck next time.” i’m starting to believe this might just be a case where a team cannot live up to the lofty expectations placed upon them. dare i actually say it ... but this team might just be a 3-4 place ECAC(HL) #14-15 nationally ranked team. maybe that's where they belong. apparently they'll have do better and prove me wrong b/c that's the way they've begun to play.

just some thoughts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2005 11:04PM by ben03.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:08PM

It seems to me as if the second goal wasn't O'Bryne. From how I see it:

1) O'Byrne has trouble behind his own net, which happens.
2) Tries to pass it to Davenport.
3) Davenport, inexplicably, tries to bring it out in front of the net and bobbles.
4) The Union player scores before McKee can even react.

Oh, and O'Byrne was back there without support because Davenport over-committed on chasing the faceoff.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2005 11:12PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.124.24.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:09PM

It seems to me an immediate key is to win tomorrow night. If we can get that game and then (hopefully) sweep Niagara over Thanksgiving, then we'll have a three-game winning streak under our belts. Hopefully the team can use this stretch to really gel and figure out what the hell is going on.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:12PM

We've lost to Union at home more than I would have thought, but not recently........'92, '94 and '98. I saw the '92 game and it was a big deal because we hadn't lost to them yet as a D1 team - that may have even been their first year in the conference but we were awful that year despite Paris Duffus' best efforts. I'm amazed that we lost at Lynah to them, their record is inflated. Who cares about the rankings at this point but say goodbye to a top 10 ranking with a loss at home to Union.

Date: November 18, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

(2) goaltending; weak at best. not cornell-like in the slightest. mckee has been soft all season and continued that streak tonight. in addition, our d-men are still failing to clear rebounds in the low slot. get it together boys![/q]

On the bright side, though, it's given Chabot a chance to show that he doesn't suck quite as much as most of us used to think, and is probably actually a worthy backup in a crunch.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:48AM

For the most part, I thought we looked a lot better tonight. Especially our defense, we cleared rebounds much better than in the past.

I thought Krantz looked pretty good for once. The only defenseman who struck me as truly off was Davenport. O'Byrne was streaky, but played well at times. I don't know why we sat Glover, he was playing well.

Same with Barlow, would rather have him out there than Kindret.

Date: November 19, 2005 01:57AM

[Q]Dafatone Wrote:
The only defenseman who struck me as truly off was Davenport.
[/q]

I thought he got a lot better after he gave up the goal...but then again I might have just been trying to stay optimistic

[Q]Same with Barlow, would rather have him out there than Kindret.[/q]

Why bench a guy who was seeing regular minutes for a guy who Schafer didn't feel comfortable puting out there for a regular shift?

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:35AM

[Q] And what was up with the Tuba tonight? I think that summed up the game, though I did laugh a lot....[/Q]

He's a freshman player...none of the other tubas were around tonight due to a marching band road trip to Penn. He did an amazing job though...I'd never want to solo in front of the entire Lynah crowd!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:48AM

[Q]
I posted this on the USCHO game thread this afternoon, but I don't think we have enough goal scorers. We have a ton of setup guys just not enough scorers. And tonight it caught up with us.

[/q]

Perhaps this is the reason for the current small-ish, possibly high-scoring recruiting class. Coach may have made a decision that we'll never get all the way without at least a couple of serious finishers. That said, I like our dominant physical style, so we'll just have to wait and see if they can keep both. I think the most important thing is that they just need to work harder right now. Yes, they were the better team tonight, but they definitely didn't seem to want it more.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:51AM

I agree, I think Barlow was probably playing the best out of any of the freshmen and was just starting to get comfortable... the other freshmen just look lost...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 06:02AM

The last season during which we didn't, at some point, have a long, learned, and entirely plausible analysis of not having enough finishers was 1991. We do this every year -- they lose one game, and we scramble for reasons within that game. Now that it's two games, we look for reasons in the team composition. Not sure what happens at three games. The stars, maybe, or divine retribution. Maybe we'll find out tonight.

Re.

Lax.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 06:04AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:22AM

McKee looked like a turtle that had flipped over and couldn't get off his backside. Disturbing.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:28AM

Interesting article on David in today's Journal:

[theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 08:50AM

Some quick thoughts - on the game:
- was watching our dominance in possession and face-offs and thinking long run that should lead to goals ... not last night.
- despite being forced to play alot of desparate D. Union moved their feet. Many of our penalties were when we were beat in that sense. eg. Chris Abbott taking the hooking interference after winning a faceoff in our end; no D-man got to the puck but one of their forwards did . . .
- Our pp points were being fronted well by the Union pk and when we hit the guy in th mid slot boards in that case they were not agressively moving in to the slot or to the net thus setting up a shot or drawing the defensive box in.
- I had face-off stats of 38 wins, 14 loses, and 9 neutral/ties for the game.
- Union Captain Scott Seney was their only strong face-off presence and he started the game playing on the wing...
- We need to find our feel on the power play for quick teamwork, shouldn't take a 5-3 for us to score and we had some good chances but we were a tad off last night.
- officiating was fair and even - missed a few things -like the pushing puck out of zone w/ broken stick but overall no - complaints as it was both ways.
- in last 4 mins or so we seemed to have an aversion to passing back to the point - which allowed Union D to collapse into red zone and force us to corners.

Looking forward to the team improving tonight on last night!
And was disappointed by numbers of folks leaving also - We are long term section N hockey fanatic and always stay to salute the team -- win or lose.

Posted by: thr33 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:35AM

i think we just need to face it -- last year was our year. mckee is absolutley terrible. much worse than mediocre. it's so easy to see how overrated he was. no defense (minus cook and downs), he lets in 2+ goals a game (only facing 13 shots!!!) our offense cant score. yeah, we outplayed union, but we still didnt win, so its a moot point. and union college? are you kidding me? they would get destroyed by any one of the top 10 teams (excluding us of course). without hynes, iggy, knoefpli, downs, cook -- we suck. excuse my language, but moulson is a huge pussy. he plays like one, and acts like one on the ice. it's disappointing. the ONLY player who i can say is actually having a somewhat decent season is carefoot. he's the man. our freshman suck ass. im gonna stop complaining, but ya'll get the point. we blow. something needs to change....

Posted by: jlewis (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:58AM

I wasnt at the darmouth/colgate game to know this, but from the score and recap did anybody see a connection between that game and last night? Us outshooting the other team like crazy but still losing by one goal? I'm being optimistic and hoping we continue the trend and go out tonight and play the game that they played against us last saturday. Lets go red!

jackie

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 19, 2005 11:40AM

What killed the team last night was poor play from the point on the powerplay, whether it was O'byrne, Sasha, Bitz or even (gasp) Moulson. The word that sums up the play of our point men last night is indecision. Too many times it seemed like the guy on the point had no idea what he wanted to do with the puck. If your gonna shoot it: shoot, if your gonna pass it: pass, but don't hold the puck and not know where it's going. I saw alot of week wristers from the point last night that could have been one timers had the decision to shoot been made decisivly. Instead the puck was held for 2 seconds before the decision was made to wrist a shot into the frey which everyone could see coming.
The first (and only) cornell goal last night is proof of why it's always a good idea to put the puck on net. Put a nice hard shot on net and chances are decent that somthing might happen, in this case it hit a union defenders stick and went in. Our point men are two concerned with creating the perfect setup or having the perfect shooting lane. When in doubt just put it on net and see what happens (and make the decision to do it when you get the puck, not two seconds later when everyone knows it's coming.)

Date: November 19, 2005 11:44AM

CHILL... THE FUCK... OUT

Last year we went 0-1-1 against MSU and then tied Vt and lost to Dartmouth. And didn't have a very good showing in Florida.

Even in the marvelous 2003 we had a pretty poor showing in Florida, losing two to teams that two definitely should have beaten that year. Oh, and btw, tied Brown.

Yes, this year's team needs improvement, this years team was overrated and saying we would walk away with the ECAC wasn't being fair to last year's senior class. Yes, we need to figure out a number of things.

Btw, McKee let in one goal last night and O'Byrne/Davenport let in the other. When you're criticizing Moulson, despite having 1.43 ppg, DESPITE having 5 men watching him closely every time he steps on the ice, I know you've lost it.

CHILL... THE FUCK... OUT
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 11:46AM by DeltaOne81.

Date: November 19, 2005 11:56AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
When you're criticizing Moulson, despite having 1.43 ppg, DESPITE having 5 men watching him closely every time he steps on the ice, I know you've lost it.
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/19/05 11:46AM by DeltaOne81.[/q]

What do you want me to say? When he's played the point he's made many of the same mistakes that O'byrne and Sasha have been making when they play the point. If you ask me it has less to do with the induvidual pointman than the overall powerplay philosophy that this team has had all year. They've just been too hesitant as a team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 11:57AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:07PM

I never said he's perfect... as I said, a lot of people and the team as a whole need to improve. But calling him a pussy is too far. And you need to chill out.

Maybe you need to get a software upgrade to the "goodnatured" version :-P

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: November 19, 2005 12:24PM

I think everyone here needs to realize that McKee has only had one stellar season here. We need to all start thinking about what the team needs to win, and maybe realize that McKee won't be the same again. I'm not saying he will be this bad all season, but numerous teams have replaced their sieve at Lynah. Why should we leave McKee in all game when he clearly is off his game? It shouldn't be done as punishment, incentive, etc., but we do need to win and I think Chabot has shown that he is capable of keeping us in the game. I don't know when to pull McKee, what part of the game or in the season, if he keeps this up, but we shouldn't sit here and praise him as he continues to let in soft goals. McKee so far has played worse than O'Byrne, yet we use him as everygame's scapegoat. This team is coming around, and we will win, but McKee may not always be on his game and we should realize that.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:33PM

I have to agree. From my seat in A I was on a line where I could see the Union shooter, then Pegs trying to block his shot, but NOT McKee. I am just assuming that if I couldn't see McKee then McKee couldn't see the shooter fully.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:35PM

That was a pretty good play by Bitz, faking the dump in and then throwing it on net instead. Mayotte must've gotten in a routine of coming out of the net early to stop the dump ins. One miss step or a goal stick that was an inch shorter and that's a goal.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:35PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I never said he's perfect... as I said, a lot of people and the team as a whole need to improve. But calling him a pussy is too far. And you need to chill out.

Maybe you need to get a software upgrade to the "goodnatured" version [/q]

I called him a pussy?

On the contrary, I've been very impressed with Moulson and I think he's been carrying the team. The point that i was trying to make was that even Moulson has looked bad on the point, which leads me to beleive that this a system problem rather than a player problem.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 12:39PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:37PM

Okay, it wasn't you I was responding to initially then. I was responding to thr33. I think everyone needs to chill out a bit around here, but he's the only one that needed to chill the fuck out ;)

Date: November 19, 2005 12:42PM

Well on the bright side he only let up two goals on 13 shots, at DC it was 5 in 13 shots rolleyes

Date: November 19, 2005 12:50PM

Pulling McKee wouldn't have helped tonight, as he didn't let in any goals after the 2nd one.

Hell, it was my fault. I'm down in section G. Union was on a PP, let a shot go from the point that missed wide by almost a yard, I shouted "You Missed!" 30 seconds later we were down 2-1.

Anyway, We did look bad at the point tonight, but I think we weren't used to Union's penalty kill. They were much more passive than most of the kills we've seen, crowding in front of the net, and not attacking the point fiercely. Normally, I'd think this would help us, allowing us to get easier puck movement, but last night we couldn't free up any good shots.

But I agree that we had a lot of weak, indecisive shots coming from the point that could have been stronger slapshots/one-timers.

Last, anyone catch what happened to Moulson's shot at the last second? I thought it went off Mayotte's blocker, but a friend thought a Union player knocked it away. For a moment, I really thought we had a goal there.

Date: November 19, 2005 12:55PM

Perfect faceoff win right to him, he moved to his left and the puck rolled off his stick as he shot it. That about sums up the night there.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 12:56PM

He missed the net with a defender getting a piece of his stick.

Date: November 19, 2005 01:13PM

from my experience watching our power play over the last 5-6 seasons i’ve seen there is one way to shut us down: high pressure on the point men. dartmouth has been doing this to us for years and it appears union has finally caught on as well. hell, if i were scouting us that’d be on top of my list of “keys to beating the big red.” whether it’s murray, baby, o'b, sasha, moulson, or whoever ... high-pressure on the point screws up our flow. we have a one-dimensional PP scheme and IMHO it’s easy to defend (obviously easier said than done). we need productivity/creativity from our wingmen and need to stop looking for the perfect shot from the point. this is exactly the problem we saw in 01-02. if we don’t adjust and get some variety, our PP will likely be stagnant all year. we had at least two long 5-3's last night and nothing to show for it. this is a problem. it is much a personnel problem as it is a system problem and most definitely a combination of the two. and as i mentioned above, this is not anything new to a schafer-coached power play. hopefully he'll find a solution to get them back on track.

in schafer we trust. :-)

LGR!!!

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:17PM

[Q]
edhair34 Wrote:

Drew042 Wrote:

LGR!!

It was Davenport that made the mistake that lead to the GWG [Q]

Although Davenport and O'Byrne were at fault, McKee should have stopped that goal. He did not cover his posts well at all. There was a large gap between his left skate and the goal post and the Union player just slid it through that hole. If the union player had got the puck up over McKee and went in, then it would not have been McKee's fault.

He is just too tentative out there. Although your team didn't score any goals, as a goaltender you have to give them a chance to win, which he didn't. In his last two games, McKee has given up 7 goals on 29 shots. A save percentage of .759 - simply unacceptable.

For those of you defending McKee and telling us to give him a chance. We have given him 7 games and his numbers are awful.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:37PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

and get some variety, our PP will likely be stagnant all year. we had at least two long 5-3's last night and nothing to show for it. [/q]

Actually, we had one goal to show for it.

Posted by: Tom14850 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 01:47PM

It's early in the season. Lots of time to improve. However, the thing that worries me the most is the defense/goaltending, which has always been the hallmark of Cornell. In the first 7 games this year we've allowed 21 goals. Last year we allowed 45 goals in 35 games. At the rate the team is going they'll allow 105 goals (!) if they get lucky enough to play 35 games. worry

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:41PM

[Q]Bryan '06 Wrote:
And what was up with the Tuba tonight? I think that summed up the game, though I did laugh a lot....[/Q]He's a freshman player...none of the other tubas were around tonight due to a marching band road trip to Penn. He did an amazing job though...I'd never want to solo in front of the entire Lynah crowd![/q]I think he did a great job despite being a freshman and also a pretty quiet player, and I think he made the right decision in playing as slow as humanly possible. When you're out there all on your own, there's no better way to mock the opposing bench than that.

Other good things to take away from the game: When I was leaving, I heard some student from Section A mutter "Well, at least Harvard still sucks."

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:42PM

Which, I might point out, was the first powerplay unit with Sasha playing in place of OB.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 02:43PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Interesting article on David in today's Journal:[/q]...and it's out. There was actually an article about this in the Chronicle a week or so ago, and I was to an extent relieved nobody had brought it up, though I don't blame you for doing so.

Date: November 19, 2005 02:48PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Interesting article on David in today's Journal:[/Q]
...and it's out. There was actually an article about this in the Chronicle a week or so ago, and I was to an extent relieved nobody had brought it up, though I don't blame you for doing so.[/q]

Why would you not want it brought up? Its obvious from his quotes in the article that he doesn't mind it, and would actually rather it be so other people with learning disorders can see he is still succesful with it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 03:32PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

...and it's out. There was actually an article about this in the Chronicle a week or so ago, and I was to an extent relieved nobody had brought it up, though I don't blame you for doing so.[/q]
I find it truly hard to believe that in the year 2005 someone would have such a backward attitude toward something like this.

Date: November 19, 2005 04:11PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

I find it truly hard to believe that in the year 2005 someone would have such a backward attitude toward something like this.[/q]

You'd be surprised at the pervasiveness of ignorance, even in this day and age.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:45AM

Another non-idiot suffering from ADD and/or dyslexia has been Charles Schwab. Schwab's problem seems to be with A-to-Z characters, because he's done fine with the 0-to-9 part of the character set and the dollar sign. Schwab calls it a "learning difference," which may be a euphemism or it may be an accurate descriptor, but if you want to get Schwab's non-inconsiderable funding for the condition, that's what you learn to call it.

It would help if "dyslexia" wasn't so darn hard to spell for everyone.

And there are a few nice self-deprecating jokes like about dyslexic agnostic insomniacs.

Date: November 20, 2005 11:57AM

I just thought of something interesting. If a visiting goalie had dyslexia/ADD, would we use that as taunting ammo? I'm not quite sure...

And perhaps others will for McKee when we're on the road. I think he'll be fine, though.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]Dafatone Wrote:

I just thought of something interesting. If a visiting goalie had dyslexia/ADD, would we use that as taunting ammo? I'm not quite sure...[/q]

That crosses the line, no question in my mind.

Date: November 20, 2005 01:17PM

A friend of mine tends to be very sympathetic, towards pretty much anyone. Which is a nice quality, but it comes up oddly in hockey games.

When someone on RPI (#14, perhaps?) went down after a hard hit by Seminoff (penalty, I think at the end of the 2nd period) I yelled at him to stop faking it and get up. He turned out okay, no injury, just shaken up maybe. My friend was very upset I'd get on a guy who could be hurt.

Anyway, she was very upset about the Nod Your Head chant we had going on Palmer, the U-18 goalie, thinking he had some sort of involuntary tic. I'm not quite sure what the truth there is, just something to think about, I guess.

In general, I'm for almost anything that'll throw off the other team, in most cases.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:09PM

If you were to taunt someone for having ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, what have you, they'll probably do what we learned to do a long time ago: think you're an asshole and be done with it. But they'd probably be too hyper-focused (which is what happens when the ADD pendulum swings the other way) to even notice. I speak from personal experience.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:17PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

I find it truly hard to believe that in the year 2005 someone would have such a backward attitude toward something like this.[/Q]
You'd be surprised at the pervasiveness of ignorance, even in this day and age.[/q]

Um, in "this day and age," states are voting science out of the classrooms to appease the whims of The Thunder God. If you are still under the illusion that knowledge automatically pushes out ignorance, without a huge expenditure of blood and treasure to combat humanity's natural idiocy, think again.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2005 03:18PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:29PM

Well, if it means anything, this week, another athlete discussed his ADHD publically also to bring awareness:

[mlb.mlb.com]

Date: November 20, 2005 06:49PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Will Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

I find it truly hard to believe that in the year 2005 someone would have such a backward attitude toward something like this.[/Q]
You'd be surprised at the pervasiveness of ignorance, even in this day and age.[/Q]
Um, in "this day and age," states are voting science out of the classrooms to appease the whims of The Thunder God. If you are still under the illusion that knowledge automatically pushes out ignorance, without a huge expenditure of blood and treasure to combat humanity's natural idiocy, think again.[/q]

Fine, you wouldn't be surprised, then. :-P

Posted by: ftyuv (---.127.235.57.lightlink.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:06PM

After reading that article, I had an odd thought. I know next to nothing about ADD, so someone tell me if I'm completely off my rocker... but could it be that the treatment for ADD may contribute to his apparent lacklaster performance this year? If ADD is responsible for his hyper-focused nature in games and his hands-on learning approach (as he said in the article), maybe the same training that's helping him focus on his studies is taking some of the intensity out of his game? As I said, I don't know anything about ADD, and I don't mean this in any offensive way by any means. Just a curiosity.

Date: November 20, 2005 08:23PM

[Q]ftyuv Wrote:

After reading that article, I had an odd thought. I know next to nothing about ADD, so someone tell me if I'm completely off my rocker... but could it be that the treatment for ADD may contribute to his apparent lacklaster performance this year? If ADD is responsible for his hyper-focused nature in games and his hands-on learning approach (as he said in the article), maybe the same training that's helping him focus on his studies is taking some of the intensity out of his game? As I said, I don't know anything about ADD, and I don't mean this in any offensive way by any means. Just a curiosity.[/q]

While I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, I would think it's not directly relevant, since the article said his grades improved his sophomore year versus his freshman year, and his goaltending play seemed a lot better his sophomore year versus his freshman year.

Of course, now I'm curious to see what Dave's grades are this semester. Maybe GPA really is inversely proportional to GAA. :-D

Posted by: ftyuv (---.127.235.57.lightlink.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 08:31PM

Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't know if there's some delayed reaction or something... like, he learned ways to learn better, but only a year later did they really internalize to a level that would affect him on the ice. I dunno.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:09PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

...and it's out. There was actually an article about this in the Chronicle a week or so ago, and I was to an extent relieved nobody had brought it up, though I don't blame you for doing so.[/Q]
I find it truly hard to believe that in the year 2005 someone would have such a backward attitude toward something like this.[/q]

FWIW, I thought before following the link to the article that he was coming out as gay. I'm curious how that would have gone over and what the general reaction would be. I fear that people would have more issue with than with ADD.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 01:27AM

It is true that ADD medication can affect sports performance. However, it seems unlikely that he's been taking the same medication (if he has) for about a year and is only now playing differently because of it. I'm only pre-med but I really can't see this happening logically...even meds for depression (like Paxil) which take a while to build up in the blood take only 4 weeks to take effect.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: November 21, 2005 01:29AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
FWIW, I thought before following the link to the article that he was coming out as gay. I'm curious how that would have gone over and what the general reaction would be. I fear that people would have more issue with than with ADD.[/q]

Nah, that's only for Dartmouth lacrosse goalies :-P

On the plus side, maybe then McKee could score a goal... hell, no one else is (obscure reference maybe, but worth a shot :-) )
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2005 01:32AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Andy'07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 09:56AM

You're saying a "david has DAHD" sign from an opposing fan would be out of line? uhoh

Date: November 21, 2005 10:46AM

you do not take Paxil for AD(H)D

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login