Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Score updates on one's phone?

Posted by HeafDog 
Score updates on one's phone?
Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 05:50PM

What's a good way to get score updates on one's cell phone via text message (for the only team we care about, obviously)? Do ESPN or Yahoo offer anything like this? Are any eLynah folks out there currently subscribing to such a service?

Thanks.

Re: Score updates on one's phone?
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:11PM

cstv offers it, but it's just thescore at the end of the game. sometimes you get it 15 minutes later, sometimes you get it the next day.

[www.cstv.com]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:11PM

I don't know about text score updates for college hockey, but they have updates on 800-555-TELL for free.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:24PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:
Are any eLynah folks out there currently subscribing to such a service?[/q]

When I can't be at a game or follow it online, I often subscribe to my brother. He's very reasonably priced.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: underskill (---.blairblvd.tn.nash.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:25PM

you can get it through cingular also

Posted by: GTSnowracer (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:56PM

There is a wap.elynah.com....does anybody know if it would be possible to stick scores up there somehow? Can't find college hockey scores anywhere on cell phone internet.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 07:39PM

[Q]GTSnowracer Wrote:

There is a wap.elynah.com....does anybody know if it would be possible to stick scores up there somehow? Can't find college hockey scores anywhere on cell phone internet.[/q]

Yeah you can, although it may be provider specific (Cinguar).

The key is internet and net text messaging. The text messaging options that are available, as Phil said, only are after the game and may take who knows how long to show.

Anyway, there's this "Scoreboard" option on my cell phone (not obviously affiliated with ESPN or anything) that has about every score ever. From the major leagues to Grapefruit League baseball to Arena Football and CFL to college hockey. Some scores will just say "start time: 7 PM" all game, but most are updated pretty well.

The 'View URL' function for the main Scoreboard page gives me:
[dmxml.infospace.com]

If it works, bookmark it :)

If you're on Cingular, just go to wireless web on your phone, then Sports (5), then Scoreboard (8).

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 15, 2005 08:23PM

Speaking of score updates...(pathetic attempt at relating with current thread)

Sucks leads BC 3-0 in 2nd period...all 3 goals on the pp
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 08:41PM by redhair34.

Date: November 15, 2005 08:42PM

Sucks leads 4-1 end of 2nd
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 09:02PM by redhair34.

Date: November 15, 2005 08:43PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

wow Sucks leads 4-0 now[/q]

Awesome.

Date: November 15, 2005 09:41PM

BC scores three unanswered goals but Sucks still leads 4-3 with about 4mins. left in the 3rd...lets hope BC doesn't pull a Cornell
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 09:46PM by redhair34.

Date: November 15, 2005 09:47PM

You guys must be lying... according to GameTracker the game hasn't started yet... and GameTracker never lies! nut

Sucks 5 BC 3 FINAL
Date: November 15, 2005 09:54PM

Sucks gets an ENG in the final seconds. According to USCHO posters BC dominated the 3rd period but Sucks was able to hold on.

Re: Sucks 5 BC 3 FINAL
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 09:58PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

Sucks gets an ENG in the final seconds. According to USCHO posters BC dominated the 3rd period but Sucks was able to hold on.[/q]
Harvard held on thanks to a great save by the crossbar with 30 or so seconds to go. ENG goal came shortly thereafter.

Date: November 15, 2005 10:03PM

Am I crazy to think the ECAC may actually have something this year?

Date: November 15, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Am I crazy to think the ECAC may actually have something this year?[/q]

The WCHA 8-ball says: "Signs point to Yes."

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:08PM

isnt there a 1800 number for scores?
1-800-555-tell
sports
college hockey
cornell
not always well updated...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:25PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

GTSnowracer Wrote:

There is a wap.elynah.com....does anybody know if it would be possible to stick scores up there somehow? Can't find college hockey scores anywhere on cell phone internet.[/Q]
Yeah you can, although it may be provider specific (Cinguar).

The key is internet and net text messaging. The text messaging options that are available, as Phil said, only are after the game and may take who knows how long to show.

Write a cron job to query USCHO or CHN's score page every 10 minutes, and when it has a new result, access the web or email interface to your cell phone's text messages.[/q]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:42PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

cstv offers it, but it's just thescore at the end of the game. sometimes you get it 15 minutes later, sometimes you get it the next day.[/q]

And sometimes, the game is for example...Cornell 5, Princeton 3. The score comes to you as Cornell 3, Princeton 5. There's a bit of a difference in those scores...like a win.

I signed up for something a couple of years ago...with whatever was the predecessor to last year's edition of of "give us money and we give you access to games, scores, highlights, extras" etc. with, I want to say OCN. collegehockey something or other, yup that's helpful. I think it got swallowed into the whole cstv thing (like ya know how your credit cards or mortgage might get sold to another company)...
So, this was from that first season when Cornell, Brown and Princeton were going into the "pay for coverage" business model as I get scores for these three schools.
I don't really trust them which is why I still end up asking someone to give me updates.

Edit: ya, it did get taken over by cstv.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 11:02PM by judy.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 11:56PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Write a cron job to query USCHO or CHN's score page every 10 minutes, and when it has a new result, access the web or email interface to your cell phone's text messages.[/Q]
[/Q]

I guess that's the best we'll be able to do for now. If I get around to doing it and test it out and it's working well, I'll let people know.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 10:41AM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Write a cron job to query USCHO or CHN's score page every 10 minutes, and when it has a new result, access the web or email interface to your cell phone's text messages.[/Q]
[/Q]
I guess that's the best we'll be able to do for now. If I get around to doing it and test it out and it's working well, I'll let people know.[/q]

I was thinking that it'd be almost as easy to write a web app that you could tie to elynah logins w/ age, and let people subscribe to sms updates and then allow people who are sitting around listening to / watching the game to send score updates to the group from the app. So it wouldn't just be an end game score, as long as the total # of smses was sane, you could have updates every time the score changed. The only relatively complex part of the problem is making sure that updates happen, while not allowing duplicate data (two people issuing the same update).

Ok, maybe it would be more work..but it'd also be way cooler :)

Posted by: GTSnowracer (164.55.254.---)
Date: November 16, 2005 12:43PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Anyway, there's this "Scoreboard" option on my cell phone (not obviously affiliated with ESPN or anything) that has about every score ever. From the major leagues to Grapefruit League baseball to Arena Football and CFL to college hockey. Some scores will just say "start time: 7 PM" all game, but most are updated pretty well.

The 'View URL' function for the main Scoreboard page gives me:

If it works, bookmark it [/q]

Awesome, it worked! Thanks a lot (btw, i have Verizon, i just added DeltaOne81's link to my favorites in my phone)

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 16, 2005 02:06PM

If at all. Didn't receive any scores at all last weekend. Judy's right about taking scores with a grain of salt. Last spring the Lynah East score they sent out was Cornell 1 Sucks 0.

Date: November 16, 2005 02:55PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

...allow people who are sitting around listening to / watching the game to send score updates to the group from the app. So it wouldn't just be an end game score...[/Q]

And this would be necessary because USCHO or CHN's page doesn't update during the game all the time, right? Or are you suggesting this so as to just get score updates more quickly than those sites?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 04:56PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

pfibiger Wrote:

...allow people who are sitting around listening to / watching the game to send score updates to the group from the app. So it wouldn't just be an end game score...[/Q]
And this would be necessary because USCHO or CHN's page doesn't update during the game all the time, right? Or are you suggesting this so as to just get score updates more quickly than those sites?[/q]

Speaking from zero experience with this matter:
Possibly to allow you to get more info than those pages. Presumably eLynah users could send out the score along with the goal info. For example:
"Cornell 1, Union 0
4:48 1st, Moulson (Scott, Bitz) PPG"
or whatever the correct format for that is.

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 05:02PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

Possibly to allow you to get more info than those pages. Presumably eLynah users could send out the score along with the goal info. For example:
"Cornell 1, Union 0
or whatever the correct format for that is.[/q]

Mailing list from the game's designated updater.
US cell phone numbers can be emailed...for example, Verizon is <phoneNumber>@vtext.com
This comes to you as a text message.

I've got the domains for most of the other carriers somewhere in my email archive as I've done this a few times for people. This does not mean I'm volunteering to do this for all future games.

Date: November 16, 2005 05:28PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

Liz '05 Wrote:

"Cornell 1, Union 0
or whatever the correct format for that is.[/Q]
Mailing list from the game's designated updater.
US cell phone numbers can be emailed...for example, Verizon is <phoneNumber>@vtext.com
This comes to you as a text message.

I've got the domains for most of the other carriers somewhere in my email archive as I've done this a few times for people. This does not mean I'm volunteering to do this for all future games.

[/Q]

Judy, when you get the chance, please post that information about email address equivalents for US cell phones.

Also, yes, I wouldn't hold you to volunteering to post the information for every game. The point is to come up with something that is completely automated, from subscription to unsubscription to seeing the goods on your cell. With this in mind, there's a good chance that an automated solution would not be able to have details such as those Liz described. But the more human intervention any solution requires, the more of a pain it is to keep going once it's set up, not to mention the fact that it potentially opens up the risk of sabotage (with bogus postings) or duplicate text messages with the same info.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:02PM

The major carriers:
AllTel
<10digitphonenumber>@message.alltel.com

Ameritech/SBC Paging
1way = <10digitphonenumber>@paging.acswireless.com
2way = <10digitphonenumber>@airmessage.net

AT&T Wireless Blackberry or SMS =
username@mobile.att.net or
<10digitphonenumber>@mobile.att.net
The address(es) are case sensitive and must be in lower case letters.

Cingular Wireless Blackberry or SMS =
<10digitphonenumber>@mobile.mycingular.net

Nextel Phone = <10digitphonenumber>@messaging.nextel.com

Qwest <10digitphonenumber>@qwestmp.com

Sprint PCS Phone = <10digitphonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com

TMobile <10digitphonenumber>@tmomail.net

Verizon Wireless Cellular <10digitphonenumber>@vtext.com

Note that I had found these almost a year ago. I don't really know the liklihood of stuff like this changing. I know at least the Verizon one works. I have no idea how this works with number portability. I was using this at my old job to send txt messages to myself when stuff stopped running or otherwise broke

So all we need now is a database of people's phone numbers and carriers and possibly some sort of job.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:33PM

Last year when I was traveling, someone at eLynah or even realLynah would send me scores updates to my phone. It is more efficient than worrying about CSTV or ESPN or someone sending out scores. The occasional typos and multiple exclamation points made it all the more authentic.

Usually you can negotiate with the friend to send you scores after each period, or scores as they happen, or scores after each period and then anything in the final period that's exciting, say if the score is close, or if it's any goal scored against Harvard.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:46PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

So all we need now is a database of people's phone numbers and carriers and possibly some sort of job. [/q]

Or some method of "signing up" to recieve score updates for a particular game, and a designated person to send them out to the distribution list on that night. This person could be a rotating list of volunteers from game to game.

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:14PM

But of course, a shot that hits the crossbar or post is not a SOG...and thus there was no "save".

In case anyone here did not know that.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
But of course, a shot that hits the crossbar or post is not a SOG...and thus there was no "save".

In case anyone here did not know that.[/q]

I know you and Al don't get along, but I'm gonna try to head this one off before it starts.

[Q]"great save by the crossbar"[/Q]

Al specifically said it was a save by the crossbar, not by the goalie. It's a separate 'stat' from the goalie saves in the box score. Yes, we know that. Take your unnecessary, inappropriate cheap shots elsewhere please.

I hope that completes the discussion.

Date: November 17, 2005 02:43PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

In case anyone here did not know that.[/Q]
I know you and Al don't get along, but I'm gonna try to head this one off before it starts.

"great save by the crossbar"[/Q]
Al specifically said it was a save by the crossbar, not by the goalie. It's a separate 'stat' from the goalie saves in the box score. Yes, we know that. Take your unnecessary, inappropriate cheap shots elsewhere please.

I hope that completes the discussion.[/q]

Al, RichS, and DeltaOne81, please threadjack somewhere else. This thread is for score updates on a cell phone.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:32PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

[I hope that completes the discussion.[/Q]
Al, RichS, and DeltaOne81, please threadjack somewhere else. This thread is for score updates on a cell phone.[/q]
Screw you. redhair posted several updates on the Harvard game on this thread and I added an additional observation to it. Learn to read.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:52PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

In case anyone here did not know that.[/Q]

"great save by the crossbar"[/Q]

I hope that completes the discussion.[/q]

The only "cheap shot" taken here was by you.

Al and I 'not getting along' has nothing to do with my response. I even said that I made the post in case anyone here does not know that". That is in no way a "cheap shot".

You didn't head off anything; rather you tried to instigate something. Take your "unnecessary, inappropriate" and unwanted comments elsewhere. Please.

A separate stat in the boxscores for crossbars dinged? I'd like to see that. Where?

I'd say Al made the comment in an unofficial reference in the sense that the bar saved the shot or saved the goalie's butt. But in an official sense, a "crossbar save" is an oxymoron given the definitions of "save" and "shot on goal". As an old goalie and goalie coach I think I know these things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2005 04:00PM by Rich S.

Date: November 17, 2005 04:08PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

HeafDog Wrote:

Al, RichS, and DeltaOne81, please threadjack somewhere else. This thread is for score updates on a cell phone.[/Q]
Screw you. redhair posted several updates on the Harvard game on this thread and I added an additional observation to it. Learn to read.[/Q]

Thank you for the heartfelt response. You're right. redhair34, please don't threadjack.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:13PM

Come on people. Don't start flame wars when they're not necessary. Even if there was a little teasing in Rich's initial comment (I read it that way initially) it was extremely innocous. I doubt anyone would've blinked if I'd made the same comment. Don't be too quick to see fights - you'll end up starting them as often as not.

I would like to see a post save stat though.

Date: November 17, 2005 06:00PM

HeafDog Wrote:

Thank you for the heartfelt response. You're right. redhair34, please don't threadjack.[/q]

I sincerely apologize most honorable thread creator; forgive my most unfortunate error in judgment rolleyes

If you are viewing the thread in a flat view click "switch view" on the top of your screen. Now you will see that my initial post and all subsequent relevant replies are linked to a single response. Now all you have to do is refrain from reading any additional posts under my initial response and you won't be bothered by posts unrelated to "Score updates on one's phone? " If this doesn't satisfy you then please resume your gentle sobbing.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 06:21PM

[q]If you are viewing the thread in a flat view click "switch view" on the top of your screen. Now you will see that my initial post and all subsequent relevant replies are linked to a single response. Now all you have to do is refrain from reading any additional posts under my initial response and you won't be bothered by posts unrelated to "Score updates on one's phone? " If this doesn't satisfy you then please resume your gentle sobbing. [/q]:`( But :`( I :`( don't :`( like :`( threaded :`( view.

Date: November 17, 2005 07:26PM

You're not alone :-P

Date: November 18, 2005 10:05AM

If that post was not meant as a shot at Al, I apologize.

I/we've accussed Rich before of always looking for a negative connotation and if I am guilty of the same, I should realize it and keep an eye out for that behavior in myself now and in the future.

I intended to head off a dispute before Rich & Al got into one of their back and forths, but if I caused the problem, I am certainly big enough to admit my mistake.

P.S. Just for clarification, I didn't intend to say that "saves by crossbar" is a stat in a box score, I intended to say that "saves by crossbar" is different from the "saves by goalie" stat, the latter of which you would find in a box score. Just so you don't think I'm crazy :-)

Date: November 18, 2005 10:32AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

HeafDog Wrote:

Thank you for the heartfelt response. You're right. redhair34, please don't threadjack.[/Q]
I sincerely apologize most honorable thread creator; forgive my most unfortunate error in judgment

If you are viewing the thread in a flat view click "switch view" on the top of your screen. Now you will see that my initial post and all subsequent relevant replies are linked to a single response. Now all you have to do is refrain from reading any additional posts under my initial response and you won't be bothered by posts unrelated to "Score updates on one's phone? " If this doesn't satisfy you then please resume your gentle sobbing.
[/Q]

Kind of sounds like clicking "Switch View" is just about as easy as clicking "New Topic" would have been for you. It's just three links over to the left. Try it sometime.

Date: November 18, 2005 10:40AM

Yeah, but it's still an annoying View to use :-P

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.MIT.EDU)
Date: November 18, 2005 12:00PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Come on people. Don't start flame wars when they're not necessary. Even if there was a little teasing in Rich's initial comment (I read it that way initially) it was extremely innocous. I doubt anyone would've blinked if I'd made the same comment. Don't be too quick to see fights - you'll end up starting them as often as not.[/q]

Amen!

[Q]I would like to see a post save stat though.[/q]

During the mini-trough of the late 90s, we were playing from behind a lot and accumulated a good amount of empty-net time with only one goal against. It became an amusing diversion to keep track of the empty net's GAA. It was better than half of Clarkson's goalies. :-D This was also the season of the Nick Boucher incident, as a result of which the empty net ended up with a save and an assist. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: November 03, 2006 01:36PM

Time to revive this one again. CSTV is only offering football and basketball scores so far this season. The Cingular links for collegiate and all other sports I tried are dead. Any other options out there for text message scores? I can't always be near a computer Friday/Saturday nights, and have come to rely on these messages.

Posted by: underskill (129.59.99.---)
Date: November 03, 2006 01:46PM

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

that has a link to their score updates for cell phones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login