Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Summertime fun

Posted by DeltaOne81 
[OT] Summertime fun
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2002 10:57PM

A friend of mine and I were watching the third overtime of the Canes/Wings last night at his apartment off of E. State Street and discussing hockey in general. We discussed how neither of us had ever really played too much hockey ourselves, despite being huge fans of the sport. He does have a stick and roller blades, however, which got us to wondering if there was any way we could maybe get some games going this summer. Except for elementary school and tossing a ball in my basement, I've never done anything that even resembles hockey (my years in Park and Rec soccer don't count), so it would be a dream come true to even be able to have a few ice/roller/street hockey games this summer.

Our problems are a) not enough people (6 to 12 total would be great), b) not enough equipment (nets, more sticks, pads (esp for goalies), blades), c) no rink (our best thought was the Wegman's lot at night).

Does anyone have any suggestions/offers/willing to volunteer any of the above in the Ithaca area?

Any response is much appreciated.

-Fred

Re: [OT] Summertime fun
Posted by: Susan Newman 08 (---.aburny.adelphia.net)
Date: June 10, 2002 12:05AM

The new rink in Skaneateles will have ice this summer. There are some summer leagues playing on it. But i'm sure you'd have to pay a pretty penny to use it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 10, 2002 12:47AM

One simple suggestion for you - Intro Ice Hockey in the fall. I'd never played any hockey before Cornell but took the class after deciding that I just had to learn to play since I was becoming such a fanatic. Ended up taking hockey class for four semesters (two intro, two intermediate) and it was a great time. Nothing like playing hockey in Lynah... Of course, I had a grad student schedule (or lack thereof), which allowed me to set aside Tuesdays and Thursdays for hockey.

Posted by: ericho_4511 (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: June 10, 2002 02:22PM

Let me echo the sentiment for Intro to Hockey! It was great and you never
know when an up and coming graduate assistant coach will be teaching
the class.

Yep, I took hockey from Coach Schafer! He seemed to have a good time
and so did we. I even donned the goalie pads for a scrimmage. Let's
just say that I am a great big sieve. :-).

I concur with Keith. There's nothing better than playing hockey in Lynah!

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: June 10, 2002 04:22PM

Another ringing endorsement for Intro. Hockey. Assuming you know how to skate, TAKE IT! You won't regret it.

Fred, as for summer street hockey, I'd love to get something like that together... of course, I don't own blades, so I've only played sneaker hockey, which isn't exactly the same. Still, something like that might become an impetus for me to buy them, which I've been meaning to do for a while, so if you get something together, definitely let me know!

Intro hockey
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: June 10, 2002 05:44PM

If you don't know how to skate, which I didn't, then take the intro skating course first and then take hockey the following semester.

Date: June 10, 2002 06:40PM

Josh Herman '99
[Q]Fred, as for summer street hockey, I'd love to get something like that together... of course, I don't own blades, so I've only played sneaker hockey, which isn't exactly the same. Still, something like that might become an impetus for me to buy them, which I've been meaning to do for a while, so if you get something together, definitely let me know![/Q]

Ah, now this is the kinda response I'm looking for :-)... I do appreciate the advice for Intro to Skating/Ice Hockey. Seeing as I very well might plan to stay for a year of grad school, it'll be something I'll seriously consider.

But as for right now, I'm interested in maybe doing something this summer. Let me rephrase my a, b, c comments.

a) Anyone in the area want to play and/or have friends who might want to?
b) Anyone own equipment for borrowing/rent or know where we can get some cheap?
c) Any good local rinks or just blacktop/cement surfaces that they can recommend?

-Fred

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2002 08:04PM

I'm interesting in playing some street hockey. I have a stick and sneakers, but that's about it. (Actually, come to think of it, I just have an ice hockey stick and not a street one.) I have a old pair of roller blades, but they probably don't fit anymore. I probably could get a friend or two to play as well, but I doubt they have sticks.

I don't have any protective equipment so it might have to be a "keep it on the ground" game or we could play with lightweight street hockey balls.

As for venues, let me suggest the recently repaved "O" lot directly across from the Vet Hospital. I've been by there in the evenings and it's pretty well lit. The surface is excellent for shoe hockey and I think would be pretty good for roller hockey.

-Chris

Posted by: Susan Newman 08 (---.aburny.adelphia.net)
Date: June 11, 2002 06:23PM

be careful where you choose to play...rolerblading on rough (even slightly rough) pavement is not fun worry

Date: June 11, 2002 11:18PM

[Q]rolerblading on rough (even slightly rough) pavement is not fun worry[/Q]

At the moment I'm leaning more towards street/sneaker hockey anyway, since we'll all have to buy sticks and nets anyways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login