Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Elliott

Posted by ugarte 
Elliott
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: June 09, 2002 02:06PM

Barring catastrophe, Jason isn't going to play at all in the Stanley Cup finals, but I thought it was worth noting here that he is on the playoff roster. I think he has been a healthy scratch in every game.

If the Red Wings win (knock wood) does he get his name on the Cup?

Re: Elliott
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: June 09, 2002 03:27PM

I think the team selects everybody who goes on the Cup. The last time Detroit won, the owner put his entire family on the Cup, which was completely bogus -- akin to Bush awarding his drunken daughters the Medal of Honor or something.

Speaking of spoiled twits, has anybody else checked out the Hilton heiresses' web site? It's hysterical.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2002 04:17PM

Doesn't he have to have actually played in at least one playoff game to be on the Cup?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 09, 2002 06:23PM

Wonder in how many games the Red Wings owner's family played the last time they won the cup. nut

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: June 09, 2002 09:01PM

Exactly.

Date: June 10, 2002 09:07AM

I;m referring to the listing of players specifically. I recall that in '94 when the Rangers won, there was a question about whether or not a few of the guys who had been with them until the trading deadline would be included...the "answer: I heard was that they would not be if they had not played in a playoff game.

I don't recall how it turned out...does anyone recall?.. but it was a legit question since the most notable name in that group was Mike Gartner, who at the time of his retirement had the record for most games played in the NHL without winning a cup. The Rangers traded him to Toronto at the deadline.

Obviously owners are looked at differently. rolleyes

cup name rules
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: June 10, 2002 12:27PM

Well, there may have been such a discussion in '94. But it could be that the Rangers (ownership or players) came up with the playoff game rule. It might not be an "official" cup rule (I don't know, just speculating).

I know that championship rings are generally given out by the team owner to whomever he pleases and (at least in baseball) shares of the playoff money are voted on by the players.

While the playoff game rule seems entirely reasonable, imagine if the top player on a club, who carried the team on his back and got them into the playoffs, manages to get seriously injured on the last day of the season and misses the playoffs. Somehow his team pulls a miracle and wins it all anyway. Shouldn't the injured guy still get his name on the cup? My point is that voting or team decision could be better than set rules under certain conditions.

Re: cup name rules
Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: June 10, 2002 04:16PM

This was brought up on USCHO. The rule, as it was cited, is that a player must have played in at least half of the team's regular season games, or have played in at least one game in the finals (not the playoffs, the finals). I'm not sure how this would apply to a case like Gartner.

As far as rings, interestingly, I'm told that Patriots Super Bowl Rings are being given to every full-time employee of the Pats and every full-time employee of Foxboro Stadium. I guess Bob Kraft was feeling generous.

Date: June 10, 2002 05:42PM

That's actually a pretty reasonable rule, come to think of it. Though it would miss a late season acquisition who got hurt in the conference finals.

Date: June 11, 2002 11:27PM

Gartner played well over half the Ranger reg season games in '94...but not a single playoff game of course...and I dont recall what finally took place.

Re: rings...The Devils owner...Mr. McMullen made sure all their front office people got rings in '95 and '00 too!

Posted by: JordanCS (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2002 10:51PM

Just a note: according to the current box score on ESPN.com, Elliott wasn't scratched for tonight's final game. Since I'm moving and I don't have a TV right now, did anyone see him on the bench?

Jordan

Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2002 11:11PM

I saw Elliott on the ice :-) , but they cut to an interview with Luc Robitaille before I got to see him skate with the Stanley Cup. :-(

So, does he get his name on the Cup, even though he never stepped on the ice during a game?

Posted by: Susan Newman 08 (---.aburny.adelphia.net)
Date: June 13, 2002 11:22PM

AAAAND.....does he get the cup for a day!?!? and where will he take it?

Date: June 14, 2002 02:07AM

According to Gary Thorne on ESPN, one needs to actually play in a game in the fina round. He said that in reference to Jiri Slegr who played in the final game...finally! :-D

I'm still not convinced because I thought I had heard of cases where guys who had not played in the finals had their names inscribed on Lord Stanley's Cup...

Date: June 14, 2002 11:15AM

I heard that also, Rich S., but it didn't answer the question for me. Slegr had been a scratch in all of the first 4 games. Elliott was eligible to play in the first and fifth games (from what I can tell); is that enough.

For instance, did Manny Legace play enough? Legace only played 20 games this year (but was eligble for more than 40) and didn't play at all in the Finals (but was eligible for all 5 games).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: June 14, 2002 11:33AM

Or Rogie Vachon in 1971--who played almost every game for Les Habitants in the regular season but rode the pine throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Date: June 14, 2002 02:05PM

Al - since Vachon played in more than half of the regular season games he qualified for listing even if he didn't play in the Finals. (And I don't think the new rule went into effect until 1977).

Posted by: Sarli (---.26.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: June 17, 2002 05:42PM

wouldn't goalie standards be different? How many teams alternate goalies and WIN the Cup? Most often the winning team has a great goalie and a back up, who never sees the ice. The skaters can jump on the ice for a 20 second shift and be considered to have played in a game. Last I've checked, goalies don't do line changes, so it stands to reason that if you dressed for the game then you'd be eligible and it would be a 'team' decision to enscribe you or not. though I think its a stretch for the back up goalie's back-up to get on the cup. But he's got a 0.00 GAA!

cup requirements
Date: June 17, 2002 07:37PM

Yeah, I agree that goalie standards should be different (although who knows if they are). If skaters are given a single 20 second shift in order to get their names on the cup, I can imagine a situation where, in the final game with one team holding a comfortable lead late, the coach pulls a Mark Morris and swaps in the backup goalie for one stoppage. He takes the ice after an icing call. The offenive team wins the faceoff and throws a quick shot on net which is covered. The backup heads off with a grand total of 1 second of icetime, but gets his name inscribed on the cup...

Date: June 22, 2002 06:30PM

So, does this answer the Elliott-on-the-cup question? Click on the picture for a close-up.

[www.prosportsmemorabilia.com]

(I don't think so either. I'm sure there are others, but Jiri Slegr, who played in Game 5, isn't in the picture. And Manny Legace is.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2002 12:37AM

Well, I'm sure the requirement for goalies is different than other players. It's not like you can insist a goalie play 1/3rd of games or something, bc that would eliminate all but the most solid backups.

I hope the guy who played in game 5 is on it, even if he's not in the picture - otherwise would be ridiculous.

-Fred

Date: June 23, 2002 01:31AM

Greg - I meant to ask - do you have a URL for the Hilton kids?

Posted by: GoBigRed (---)
Date: June 24, 2002 04:05PM

i believe it is hiltonsisters.com

Posted by: G. Whittenburg (---)
Date: July 03, 2002 01:44PM

No visit to Ithaca by Lord Stanley this year, but Jason does get the cup for a day...

[theahl.com]

GW

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: July 03, 2002 02:25PM

What, he's not taking it to Chapman, Australia? ;-)

Posted by: gtsully (---)
Date: August 07, 2002 01:12AM

I think what happened in '94 was that the Rangers traded Gartner in mid-season, but he was the #1 players' union rep. in the league. When the Rangers won The Cup, there were two players who didn't qualify to have their names on it under the league's rules (Greg Gilbert and someone else, I think). The Rangers appealed to the league to let those two players get their names on The Cup, since they played a fairly important role on the team throughout the regular season. Since Gartner had such a high-ranking position in the union, he went to bat for his former teammates, the appeal went through, and the two guys got their names on The Cup, even though they didn't play in the playoffs/finals (whatever the rule is).

I would definitely think that they would have different rules for backup goalies though. Third-stringers, I don't know, but backups, definitely. And didn't Thorne and Clement specifically say during Game 5 that Slegr would get his name on The Cup because he was playing in Game 5?

Posted by: twh2 (---)
Date: September 05, 2002 07:55AM

Who ever thought that a guy I was cutting carrots next to in HA 236 would be dancing with the Stanley Cup for a day. Idiot, Elliott, Idiot, Elliott, LGR!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login