Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1, at Dartmouth 6 (Final)

Posted by KeithK 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Cornell 1, at Dartmouth 6 (3rd)
Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.117.26.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:12PM

we'll have 20 secs of even strength...

Posted by: Pace (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:13PM

6-1 final.... terrible, just terrible...

Re: Cornell 1, at Dartmouth 6 (Final)
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:15PM

Man, that was brutal...

Kinda glad my leg is broken, so I couldn't get to Hanover. (Well, not really... but it makes it slightly easier...)

Kyle

Posted by: Pace (---.redrover.cornell.edu)

2 I think

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)

let's hope we don't see this "team" for a long long time ... bring back our Big Red please;-)

Re: attendance
Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.10.---)
Date: November 13, 2005 12:57AM

Anyone who said it was 40% empty is either blind or looking through extremely rose-tinted glasses.

Seating capacity at Thompson is 3500. SRO is another 1000, giving a total capacity of 4500. The students showed up 10 minutes into the first like usual, but they eventually showed up and filled their sections pretty well. Was it as full as last night? Eh, maybe. But I'd say anything over 4000 was a fair count (it was 4215, compared to 4100+ last night), because there was no way you could fit another 500 people in there tonight under current fire codes. I admit it'd still be cool to see some of the crowds from back in the late 70's/early 80's when they let ~5000 in.

But standing room tonight was full all the way around and 2-deep in certain spots, and invariably included some people who otherwise had seats but chose to stand instead.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2005 01:18AM by Dart~Ben.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]Dart~Ben Wrote:

Anyone who said it was 40% empty is either blind or looking through extremely rose-tinted glasses.[/q]

Hi Ben. Congrats on the win. :`(

We were watching on the video webcast and could see the center section and one or two to either side, on the opposite side of the ice from the camera. Half full is pretty accurate for those sections. From our view, Cornell attacked to the left the first and third periods. You mention students. Perhaps those were the townie sections that were not nearly filled? Either that or half the people were wearing green, never moved, and therefore blended in perfectly with the seats ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2005 11:33AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:13AM

I think the 40% empty figure is a little exaggerated...
The students definitely weren't there at the beginning of the game and very slowly trickled in, but were pretty solidly packed my the middle of the game - but Cornell fans probably wouldn't have been able to see them, as it sounds like they were in the corner to the right of the camera. The rest of the sections were mostly full, but with a lot of empty seats scattered around. I think we've got a skewed idea of what "full" looks like, since Lynah rarely has many empty seats.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:23AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
From our view, Cornell attacked to the left the first and second periods.[/q]

First and third, you mean.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 13, 2005 11:33AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:
From our view, Cornell attacked to the left the first and second periods.[/Q]
First and third, you mean.[/q]

Yes.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: November 13, 2005 12:13PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Half full is pretty accurate for those sections.[/q]

Maybe during intermission ;-) (or when there were 5 minutes left and the townies started leaving early).

But no way were they that empty at the midpoint of the game. I was in the pressbox all night looking directly at the benches all game, same as the webcasting camera. Were they 100% filled? No. But there's no way they were only half full, either. And like I said, there's no way you could've fit another 500 people in the building last night, so 4000+ is pretty accurate. 4200 was probably a little inflated, but I'm not going to apologize for that when everyone else does it too, especially after the "tickets sold but people didn't show up" factor is taken into account.

Date: November 13, 2005 12:36PM

[Q]Dart~Ben Wrote:
4200 was probably a little inflated, but I'm not going to apologize for that when everyone else does it too, especially after the "tickets sold but people didn't show up" factor is taken into account.[/q]
I'm not gonna expect you to apologize for that, I understand it completely. I'm not going to play "the Lynah card" or anything. A sellout hardly ever means every seat taken, and I understand that if all seats are sold, it's typically 90% full.

I wish I had a screen shot of the video, or it was archived, cause I wear that side looked at least 40% empty. And the video quality as quite good (could easily read the numbers on the players backs). I dunno, maybe people wearing mostly green blended in? I wouldn't think so cause it's not like the white Dartmouth players blended in to the ice. And it wasn't just during intermissions. Everytime there was a penalty or goal, they panned up to the scoreboard and back down (a nice touch, wish our paid video did that :-P ), and you saw the crowd.

I can't explain how what your eyes saw and what mine saw were so very different. We all know you're a good guy Ben, and I do not believe you to be a liar at all. I wish I had a shot from the video so we could all see it and discuss it. They don't archive it, do they?

[Q] I was in the pressbox all night[/Q]
So do you know the freshman jack-off who was the color guy? Could you tell him that there's such a thing as supporting your team even when they're behind :-P. And that since you guys have free video, there will probably be a lot of opponents fans watching. Yes, we clap and cheer "Let's Go Red" after a goal is scored against us... get over it :-P

P.S. It's unfortunate (well, for us) that it takes you a crushing of Cornell to get you back here. Hopefully this takes the sting off the Yale loss last year :). Hang around, you're a good contributor and a welcome addition to eLynah whenever you feel like joining us.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2005 12:44PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.10.---)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:08PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
P.S. It's unfortunate (well, for us) that it takes you a crushing of Cornell to get you back here. Hopefully this takes the sting off the Yale loss last year . Hang around, you're a good contributor and a welcome addition to eLynah whenever you feel like joining us.
[/q]

I'm on a self-imposed moratorium from most message boards for the most part since I'm now an athletic dept. employee and not just an alum. I probably shouldn't have even posted to begin with, but whatever, a few non-inflamatory issues won't hurt anything. It's not like I really care about the attendance numbers, but I gotta argue something, and the other aspects of last night would just lead into flame wars that I just don't have time for (nor want to risk my job over.) ;-) :-D

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:16PM

at the beginning of the game, the rink was half empty. the dc "student sections" (20-21?) had maybe 5 fans. by the end of the game, the rink was maybe 80% full, though it was a graveyard in all the sections but the visiting one.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:35PM

the video commentators made a comment to the effect of "the student section is filling up nicely" sometime either in the 3rd period or late in the 2nd

Posted by: Dart~Ben (129.170.73.---)
Date: November 14, 2005 10:33AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

at the beginning of the game, the rink was half empty. the dc "student sections" (20-21?) had maybe 5 fans. by the end of the game, the rink was maybe 80% full, though it was a graveyard in all the sections but the visiting one.[/q]

Student sections are 18-21, basically they get everything from the red line to the corner on that side of the ice. And obviously, the sections closest to the red line fill up before the ones in the corner behind the safety netting.

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login