Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 @ Harvard 3 postgame thread (11/11/05)

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 4 @ Harvard 3 postgame thread (11/11/05)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:32PM

An instant classic in the Cornell-Harvard series.

Despite an early lead, Cornell is down 3-2 with 5 minutes to play in the third ... gets two quick goals to go ahead 4-3 ... only to have to fight off a penalty with just over 2 minutes to play. Moulson continues his point-producing ways but the light shines on Topher Scott and the winning goal.

In any game decided by one goal, it's a tossup who wins. Over time, the better team wins them. And it's now three one-goal wins in a row over Yale (plus an ENG), Brown (OT), Harvard. Plus the win over MSU was by one hard-fought goal (plus the ENG).

Okay, so McKee is not going to have a 0.99 GAA this year and make SI's Faces in the Crowd this year for attaining the magical figure. But, admit it, 4-3 is a lot more fun to watch than 2-1 or 1-0. And conversely Cornell has shown, unlike most of the rest of this decade, that a one-goal deficit in the third can be overcome.

Moulson is a pistol - 8 points on the year so far? And Scott is close behind. [edit: Moulson 5-3-8 after 5 games, Scott 2-5-7 after 5 games.]

Tying goal comes from the blue line. Good.

Winning goal comes on a 2-1 breakway, not after 30 seconds of digging in the corner (a test of a superior hockey team, but not real exciting). Excellent for the fans.

Harvard go-ahead third goal comes from too many men on the ice. Not good. Terrible that Cornell would ever get called for that. But better to suffer it now and remember it, than with 10 minutes to go in a one-goal playoff game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2005 11:08PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell 4 @ Harvard 3 postgame thread (11/11/05)
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:00PM

Sounded like a fun game.

Dartmouth got 45 shots on Colgate tonight. The Big Red may need McKee to recapture last year's form for at least one night.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:13PM

Three straight road wins is impressive. Lets hope the D can clamp down against Dartmouth tomorrow.

Wins like tonight are the mark of a strong team.

Date: November 11, 2005 10:40PM

McKee may have his form and it may just be it's a more offensive mindset for both sides this year, or so far this year.

Discount the 4-goal MSU outburst second period of game 2 and McKee's / Cornell's GAA is 1.9. Not that bad.

But it's been close so far. Discount empty net goals and the scores have been all one goal margins:

3-2 W MSU (final 4-2)
4-3 L
3-2 W Yale (final 4-2)
3-2 W Brown OT
4-3 W Harvard

The law of averages, which over time is not wrong, says if you play all one goal games, you should right now be 3-2, 2-3, or 2-2-1. Instead we're 4-1 and wishing we were 5-0.

Now let's see how Cornell fares against Dartmouth. Cornell is better on paper than Colgate and Colgate was better on the ice Friday night than Dartmouth by 3-2. So on paper Saturday at Dartmouth ...

We need to await the injury reports and see if anyone such as Sawada is hors de combat Saturday.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:00PM

Dartmouth outshot Gate 45-23; I'm not sure that qualifies as better on the ice. On the scoreboard, though.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

The law of averages, which over time is not wrong, says if you play all one goal games, you should right now be 3-2, 2-3, or 2-2-1. Instead we're 4-1 and wishing we were 5-0.

[/q]

No, it would say that for an average team, i.e. GF=GA, then you would tend to be around .500. But for an above average team (e.g. GF/g=GA/g+1, then you would expect a better than .500 record in one goal games.

Date: November 11, 2005 11:23PM

GF-GA stands at 17-12, if you leave off empty netters. Say those 29 goals are randomly distributed among the 5 games. What are the odds of Cornell getting x points?

If I ever knew the math, I've forgotten it.

Date: November 11, 2005 11:33PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: GF-GA stands at 17-12, if you leave off empty netters. Say those 29 goals are randomly distributed among the 5 games. What are the odds of Cornell getting x points? If I ever knew the math, I've forgotten it.[/q]And the answer is:

d) All the information needed to solve the problem is not available. Enter missing information needed to solve problem here: It is necessary to know the referees for the game played in New Haven and how many Cornell players they plan to eject for the Brown game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:34PM

Teeter was at the bench tonight, Bill.

Date: November 11, 2005 11:45PM

Al, Did you get from Boston to Cape Cod that fast, or was this written on a Blackberry? Please, we'd love more morsels about the game we missed. Was it everything the Cornell and Harvard announcers (when All Access didn't crap out) declared it to be?

FYI re Al's reference to Mike Teeter: We had noticed Mike, friend of Cornell hockey extraordinaire and with a Big Red hockey pedigree dating to the Ned Harkness era (before?), was not with the team at Yale. Good to see he's back on the road.

Even the rink sucks!
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:52PM

After watching the 2nd period in the standing room behind the section with the Cornell Band, Little Killer and I decided to stay there for the 3rd period as well. But my wife went back to our ticketed seats on the glass in Section 2, right on the goal line. We told her to be sure to hold up our "Sieve" sign when Cornell scored. So what happens when we score goals 3 and 4? Lots of cheering from that section, but no sign. "What could be wrong?", we wondered. Has the woman totally forgotten her instructions in the heat of the moment?

Come to find out after the game that the sign disappeared. I asked if someone had taken it (FYI, the rink Nazis confiscated my "Harvard Sucks" sign at the door), but no, that wasn't the case. She had the sign propped against the boards in front of her, ready to spring into action. All of a sudden, it slid down between the plywood of the stands and the boards, totally unretrievable. So, she wasn't shirking her duty after all. The rink just sucked it into its own black hole.

Well, one day when they're doing maintenance, someone will find that sign. Too bad we won't be there to fondly remember the outcome of the game. Still, we can take heart in knowing that for every game in the foreseeable future, mere yards from the Harvard goalie resides his true identity - Sieve!

Hmmm, makes one wonder what other little ditties we can leave in that time capsule for future suckies to find. ;-)

Re: Even the rink sucks!
Date: November 12, 2005 12:05AM

Signs confiscated at the door? If Little Killer is a kid, he/she should be the one carrying the signs inside his sweatshirt. If rink security tries to search the kid, he's just got learn to to yell, "Dad! Dad! That man touched me in a private place," and then start sobbing hysterically. And the rink Pinkerton will be attending conscioiusness-raising seminars from now until Little Dov gets into the class of 2028.

At Dartmouth, they'd just say, "Don't be such a wuss, kid" and continue probing.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:06AM

I've been home for a while. The game ended what, not much after 9:00?

It was a hell of a game. If Harvard has won, that big shorthanded breakaway save would be the play of the game. It was a great effort and some luck, but that's the way with a lot of saves. It was of those saves that you figure there's a 75, 80% chance of a goal going back the other way - that kind of a momentum changer.

McKee was alright, but he's definitely not what he was last year. The first goal was kinda soft, he missed scooping up the rebound and then a little tip ended up just inside the post. The second was on the other end so I couldn't see it much, but someone on the game thread made a comment about McKee after the 3rd goal, which as completely not his fault. It was a beautiful sharp pass across the goal mouth that he had no chance on - would have been a spectacular save.

Topher just flies around the ice, it's great to see him get a big goal. The team is good and plays hard, but they just haven't been dominant this year, at least not on the scoreboard. We'll see how they gel, but our competition has sure as heck showed up. It's hard to think that we're not pretty damn good, especially after our performance against MSU (sorry for the typo, I'm tired and I was probably trying go to USCHO at the time and got confused ;) ). Hell, maybe the ECAC is a lot better this year, as the interconference records seem to imply.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2005 12:15AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:09AM

USHO?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:14AM

Amazing! With 8 minutes to go I was lamenting, "Damn...I've been at so many tough 1 goal losses the last few years @ Lynah East."

And then the magic happened.

Way to go Red! Awesome, awesome game.

Date: November 12, 2005 12:15AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

USHO?[/q]

Sorry, fixed :)

Posted by: dadeo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:19AM

Ive been at too many games where we are losing to Harvard in the 3rd period.
(however, approximately half of those we eventually won)
thinks 2001, 2002, 2004...hmmm. just that same feeling that "this isnt happening again, is it. there are different players on the ice, yet..."
lol - anyone else get that? :)

Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:23AM

I wish I could have been there, it sounds like it was a great game. Did Chris Abbott and Gleed play?

Date: November 12, 2005 12:25AM

I didn't notice Chris, but I'm not really the player-noticing type of fan, so I'd bet he did. Gleed I did notice though, so definite yes on thatone.

Date: November 12, 2005 12:25AM

Gleed definitely was, and I'm embarrassed to say I can't even remembe if Chris was on the ice. I'm thinking he was though.

Date: November 12, 2005 12:31AM

Chris was 4th line center between Mugford and Carefoot, according to Gametracker. I don't recall his name being called much, if at all.

Cam, on the other hand... :-)

Date: November 12, 2005 12:32AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Al, Did you get from Boston to Cape Cod that fast, or was this written on a Blackberry? Please, we'd love more morsels about the game we missed. Was it everything the Cornell and Harvard announcers (when All Access didn't crap out) declared it to be?

FYI re Al's reference to Mike Teeter: We had noticed Mike, friend of Cornell hockey extraordinaire and with a Big Red hockey pedigree dating to the Ned Harkness era (before?), was not with the team at Yale. Good to see he's back on the road. [/q]
Home before 11, Bill. Only 80 minutes from Allston.

Really good game to watch. Cornell looked much better than in either game last weekend. Crisper passing through the neutral zone. Frequently carried the puck into the offensive zone to create chances rather than just dumping. Fewer bumbles in front of McKee--although O'Byrne did hand one away just in front of the crease in the first. Harvard came out fast and their hustle and jump led to the quick first goal. We sat at the Cornell offensive end the second and third periods so didn't get good looks at the last two Harvard goals. The third one looked like a picture-perfect power play setting up Johnson at the back door. Conflicting reports on whether the second goal was tipped or McKee just missed it.

Even though we came too close to losing this one, I'm much more encouraged than I was after last week's sweep. There were extended periods where we really controlled play. Interesting that Schafer had Seminoff on the ice at the start of the PK with 2:00 to go in the game. He must like what he sees so far. I didn't notice Glover on the ice for quite some time in the second period, but he played quite a bit in the third. Scott was simply everywhere on the ice. He is quite amazing, and it's fitting he scored the game-winner. Hope they can come down to earth before 7pm tomorrow night. Dartmouth will be steaming after losing tonight with a 2:1 advantage in shots on goal.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:43AM

I haven't read the game thread yet, and I want to go to sleep, so I'll just comment that I thought the last six and a half minutes was the best hockey I've seen Cornell play so far this year. Unfortunately, there were extended stretches during tonight's game when it was the Cornell of Game 2, Period 2 vs. MSU. We were making dumb passes, just not paying attention or thinking - and cough-ups were rampant. I expected a Schafer-scolded team to come out for the third fired up and clicking, but it was more of the same sluggishness - Hahvahd beat us to every puck and had us in circles.

Thank God for that time-out with six and a half to go, and thank God for whatever Schafer said, 'cause it worked. Six and a half minutes of beatifully executed hockey won't be enough to win most games, but it was enough to win this one - and it was oh, so incredibly satisfying when the Hahvahd fans got quiet. :-D

I also noticed Seminoff getting serious ice time, and from what I see I think this kid will be the heart of the team in a couple of years.

McKee? Well - he's still playing better than I could. What else can you say? I didn't think any of the goals tonight were "soft." Hahvahd has great skaters and puts a ton of pressure on the slot.

Wish I could be at Dartmouth and go to tomorrow night's wedding, but no such luck. Go Red!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 12, 2005 12:46AM

[q]McKee? Well - he's still playing better than I could. What else can you say? I didn't think any of the goals tonight were "soft." Hahvahd has great skaters and puts a ton of pressure on the slot. [/q]

Hahvahd's 3rd goal was anything but soft. Perfect feed across the crease for a quick one-time.

And the first one wasn't exactly "soft" either. I guess he gave up a rebound, but the puck was just lost in the scramble, as would happen to any goalie.

Date: November 12, 2005 12:50AM

Yeah, it was off a scramble - I guess fluke is also a fair term for that first goal. Maybe i'm still spoiled by Lenny (or even the McKee of last year), who would pounce on a rebound like that and not even allow the scramble to happen. So by those standards, I still think it was "soft", but by standard college hockey goaltending standards, not so much.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:50AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
And the first one wasn't exactly "soft" either. I guess he gave up a rebound, but the puck was just lost in the scramble, as would happen to any goalie.[/q]

I had a perfect view of that goal - he gave up three rebounds before Dufault finally knocked it in. Unfortunately he was using his pads, so he wasn't in a position to cover up. I think perhaps the 2002-03 D would've cleared it, but this year's D couldn't. I'm beginning to come around, at least a little bit, to the view that the D helped make Lenny's and McKee's numbers what they were those seasons.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 01:18AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
Hahvahd has great skaters and puts a ton of pressure on the slot.

Beeeej[/q]

Shane Hynes used to terrorize the opponents in the slot. No one could get him away from where he wanted to be. This year, I just don't think our offense is doing enough of this (Sawada wanders off to the board too much).

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 01:50AM

My own random thoughts about the game (First game I've seen all season)

- McKee was okay. I missed the first goal, but the second and third goal were not stoppable. There were a few moments when McKee failed to gobble up the rebound, so he wasn't perfect, but the goals were not at all his fault.

- Scott is a monster. I've never seen anyone skate around everyone as much as tonight. He is just damn fast. I'm utterly amazed and happily shocked by the skill this kid showed. If he only gets better from here - watch out!

- Glover was all over the place in D. Another guy that I hadn't paid attention before, but I'm sure watching now.

- Our 'O' was solid. Very much so. I don't think I've ever seen such nice pass setups from the red.. We must have the most potent O in at least 10 years.

- Our team is faster than Harvard's team. Traditionally I've always felt that they were faster and we were stronger, so it was a strange thing to watch.

- Our positional 'D' was weaker than usual. Not awful but we were caught out of position a few times in the game. Schafer's teams are NEVER caught out of position, so its bizarre to see it happen. Hopefully we will improve on this quickly.

- I didn't catch many freshmen out there except for Seminoff who was out there regularly.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 05:34AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

GF-GA stands at 17-12, if you leave off empty netters. Say those 29 goals are randomly distributed among the 5 games. What are the odds of Cornell getting x points?

If I ever knew the math, I've forgotten it.[/q]

>> Greg,
It's too early in the morning to think about the exact way to do this, so I wrote a Matlab program for a Monte Carlo simulation. Here is what I got for 50,000 runs (from 0 to 10 points):

Then I did it again which gives an indication of the accuracy

A third set

The average number of points for each set of 50,000 runs are 6.7379, 6.7342, and 6.7394.

Just remember that this was calculated by someone with several degrees from the same school that brought you the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and it was figured out at 5 am. :-D
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2005 09:11AM by ursaminor.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.abr-ubr2.sbo-abr.ma.cable.rcn.)
Date: November 12, 2005 08:35AM

A really great game, and the Lynah Faithful were in full force. If it is possible I think the Harvard student section was even more pathetic this year than years past (they had plenty to cheer about too)

Some thoughts not mentioned yet that I will add...
Everyone is mentioning Scottt, and deservedly so, but the new player that I noticed the most was Barlow... when he is on the ice you know it, and generally in a good way. Looked like he was a little fond of action after the play and the occassional slash... but I was very impressed.

Krantz had a sort of rough game, if he hadnt shot that laser of a goal I think everyone would be talking about some of his defensive lapses again.

To be honest I was really dissappointed with Sasha's play as well... particularly in the 1st it was as if someone had given him the wrong stick as a prank. There was one shift where he couldnt seem to get the puck settled on the blade and actually started out of the corner without the puck (not realizing that it was left behind him). He just looked uncomfortable out there to me, and we need him to anchor the D as they get experience and gel.

Date: November 12, 2005 08:48AM

You guys are amazing. Can you translate into English what that means? (When you're awake.) Does that mean with a 17-12 GF / GA margin in the first 5 games the the most likely outcome is Cornell would come out with 6.7 out of 10 possible points, roughly 3 wins and a tie, and Cornell instead has 8 points out of 10?

Date: November 12, 2005 08:52AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote: Wish I could be at Dartmouth and go to tomorrow night's wedding, but no such luck. Go Red![/q]There's a thousand golf jokes with a setup line like this.

That is a conflict.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:04AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

You guys are amazing. Can you translate into English what that means? (When you're awake.) Does that mean with a 17-12 GF / GA margin in the first 5 games the the most likely outcome is Cornell would come out with 6.7 out of 10 possible points, roughly 3 wins and a tie, and Cornell instead has 8 points out of 10? [/q]
Yes. Actually, 6.7 is the expected number of points. It isn't likely at all that they would get exactly that many. :-P

Posted by: jaybert (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:04AM

I was in section 20...so where Cornell attacked for both the 1st and 3rd period (i.e. I saw all of Cornell's goals + the 2nd one that McKee let in).

My friends and I all thought the second goal that McKee let in was really weak. It wasnt a very hard shot, just kind of lofted in. The puck definately got a piece of McKee's glove before it went in. He got his glove up for the shot, but it wasnt high enough so it more or less skimmed off the top part of his glove and went into the goal.

Also, the shorthanded breakaway stop by Dangineu (sp?) was very impressive from what I could see from the other end of the ice. It looked like our player had faked him out and was just going to slip the puck in, but he threw out his pads and was able to block it.

Definately an amazing game to goto though...I was there last year for the heartbreaker, so I was probably thinking the same thing as a lot of you when Du got the 3rd score for Harvard.

Also, did anyone notice our first two goals the puck never left the ice surface and went either through the five hole or their goalie just couldnt get the pads down? I wonder if that was something they scouted since most shots we seem to take always leave the ice at least, or if it just ended up being that way.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2005 09:05AM by Jason L.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:09AM

How about a histogram of the distribution of points?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redhair34 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:10AM

[Q]Jason L Wrote:
My friends and I all thought the second goal that McKee let in was really weak. It wasnt a very hard shot, just kind of lofted in. The puck definately got a piece of McKee's glove before it went in. He got his glove up for the shot, but it wasnt high enough so it more or less skimmed off the top part of his glove and went into the goal.
[/q]

I couldn't agree more. I was in Section 20 also. McKee just wasn't quick enough. He definitely saw it, he just couldn't get it.

Date: November 12, 2005 09:26AM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I was in Section 20 also. McKee just wasn't quick enough. He definitely saw it, he just couldn't get it. [/q]
We were at the other end of the ice for period two, so didn't see this goal well at all. But the Globe article linked below says it was a deflection.

[www.boston.com]

Posted by: rstott (128.164.240.---)
Date: November 12, 2005 10:48AM

Harvard's second goal was originally credited to Walsh who took the shot , then changed to Murphy, so it was a delection.

Posted by: jaybert (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: November 12, 2005 11:04AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I was in Section 20 also. McKee just wasn't quick enough. He definitely saw it, he just couldn't get it. [/Q]
We were at the other end of the ice for period two, so didn't see this goal well at all. But the Globe article linked below says it was a deflection.[/q]

hmm...if it was in fact a deflection, I take it back. I did not see the deflection, just that McKee got his glove up, but not high enough. I didnt get a good look at their 1st and 3rd goals, so i cant comment on those...but I do remember a great glove save that McKee made in the 3rd. Slapshot taken where McKee just threw up his glove and got the puck...maybe it wasnt a very difficult save, but it sure as hell looked cool

Date: November 12, 2005 11:04AM

[Q]rstott Wrote:

Harvard's second goal was originally credited to Walsh who took the shot , then changed to Murphy, so it was a delection.[/q]
I certainly wouldn't call it a delectable. ;-)

Date: November 12, 2005 11:39AM

um yea
<- cries a sob for missing cook and murray.
but luckily topher and matt make up for it on the other end

Posted by: JimHyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 12:07PM

Well, now that I've woken up, I drove back after the game, and donated blood, which I hope all of you do regularly, a few comments, all of which agree with Al. :-)

Schafer is a great coach, duh. Where are all of those who used to complain about those 1-0, 2-1 wins. He built this school around defense, but he certainly knows how to win with offense. The difference between this team and those mid 90's ECAC Champions is incredible. Do you remember getting a lead and then trying to hold on by playing defense for the rest of the game? We still toss the puck in and bang the boards, but the ability to circle back to our defensive end and carry the puck in is light-years ahead of past teams. Although I always enjoyed the beauty of the defensive play, watching this team is alot of fun.

The problem I have is still not feeling secure that they will finally score that go ahead goal. :-/ I'd actually become more secure in watching us defend, even against superior offensive teams. Hopefully I can learn to accept this. Even greater hope is that we can regain some of the old defense. Maybe we used to make the same defensive mistakes, but never got caught, but now I have a sense of worry at times.

Here's hoping we beat D'mth so coach doesn't have a losing record against any ECAC team. If we can combine old defense and new offense, well... (Who knows a smiley for dreaming?)

Date: November 12, 2005 12:53PM

[Q]Also, the shorthanded breakaway stop by Dangineu (sp?) was very impressive from what I could see from the other end of the ice. It looked like our player had faked him out and was just going to slip the puck in, but he threw out his pads and was able to block it. [/Q]

I don't remember if it was pads or glove, but yeah. He guess you could call it faked, or otherwise just straight out beaten with some stickwork/deke to the side, and got something (glove, pad) back in time to recover.

Only for Cornell are 3 and 4 goal games consider to be a new wave of offense ;-). I'm sure the increase in offense in intentional, but, within the limit of the new rules, I'm sure Schafer expects to clamp down on D. The team still needs to gel, and the freshman, and other guys who didn't play much last year, need to learn.

Hopefully the last word on McKee, I think what it comes down to, is that he's back to the "good enough to give us a good chance in any game", but not in "can steal the win for us" form. Sure, that's good, but it's not what we're used to. But he did make a great save in the 3rd, as Jason L mentioned.

Posted by: Anne05 (18.60.12.---)
Date: November 12, 2005 02:13PM

Ok, the highlight of this game (for me) besides the GWG was that a Harvard fan and his two kids (who were obnoxious the WHOLE game) got up and left with 5:47 left in the game and said to our section "Better luck next year guys." To which I replied "It ain't over yet."

I was deeply satisfied to have Cornell come back and win and am cherishing the moment he finds out and has to tell his kids that Harvard LOST. Ha ha ha.

This was my first Cornell game this year and it was really fun to watch the high intensity play of this year's team. Scott was impressive and yes, Chris Abbott did play. Moulson is awesome as well. Go Cornell!

Date: November 12, 2005 02:20PM

[Q]Anne05 Wrote:
I was deeply satisfied to have Cornell come back and win and am cherishing the moment he finds out and has to tell his kids that Harvard LOST. Ha ha ha.
[/q]
Bet he didn't tell 'em. doh

Posted by: French Rage (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 02:22PM

The great moment was when the Harvard fans started chanting "SUNY Cornell". Because, of course, it's not like SUNY schools are named after their local towns are anything, so their naming scheme made complete sense. About as much sense as "UMass Harvard".

Date: November 12, 2005 02:32PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

The great moment was when the Harvard fans started chanting "SUNY Cornell". Because, of course, it's not like SUNY schools are named after their local towns are anything, so their naming scheme made complete sense. About as much sense as "UMass Harvard".[/q]
Remember that Harvard was started with 400 pounds (Sterling) appropriated by the General Court of Massachusetts. The money was used to buy a cow-yard, where Harvard was built.

Date: November 12, 2005 02:48PM

[Q]Anne05 Wrote: Ok, the highlight of this game (for me) besides the GWG was that a Harvard fan and his two kids (who were obnoxious the WHOLE game) got up and left with 5:47 left in the game and said to our section "Better luck next year guys." To which I replied "It ain't over yet." I was deeply satisfied to have Cornell come back and win and am cherishing the moment he finds out and has to tell his kids that Harvard LOST. Ha ha ha.

This was my first Cornell game this year and it was really fun to watch the high intensity play of this year's team. Scott was impressive and yes, Chris Abbott did play. Moulson is awesome as well. Go Cornell!
[/q]The twit's grandfather probably had tickets for but failed to show up for Babe Ruth's called home run ... and tells tales about how awesome it was to be there.

Date: November 12, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:

The great moment was when the Harvard fans started chanting "SUNY Cornell". Because, of course, it's not like SUNY schools are named after their local towns are anything, so their naming scheme made complete sense. About as much sense as "UMass Harvard".[/Q]
Remember that Harvard was started with 400 pounds (Sterling) appropriated by the General Court of Massachusetts. The money was used to buy a cow-yard, where Harvard was built.[/q]
a) excellent piece of trivia
b) we really all should be out working in the yard, enjoying the New England sunshine. Aren't many warm days left in 2005 like this.

Date: November 12, 2005 03:01PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:

The great moment was when the Harvard fans started chanting "SUNY Cornell". Because, of course, it's not like SUNY schools are named after their local towns are anything, so their naming scheme made complete sense. About as much sense as "UMass Harvard".[/Q]
Remember that Harvard was started with 400 pounds (Sterling) appropriated by the General Court of Massachusetts. The money was used to buy a cow-yard, where Harvard was built.[/Q]
a) excellent piece of trivia
b) we really all should be out working in the yard, enjoying the New England sunshine. Aren't many warm days left in 2005 like this.
[/q]
Dunno. It's still nippy here. Warms up manana.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 03:46PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Anne05 Wrote: Ok, the highlight of this game (for me) besides the GWG was that a Harvard fan and his two kids (who were obnoxious the WHOLE game) got up and left with 5:47 left in the game and said to our section "Better luck next year guys." To which I replied "It ain't over yet." I was deeply satisfied to have Cornell come back and win and am cherishing the moment he finds out and has to tell his kids that Harvard LOST. Ha ha ha.

[/Q]
The twit's grandfather probably had tickets for but failed to show up for Babe Ruth's called home run ... and tells tales about how awesome it was to be there.

[/q]

He probably figured the Sox had the 1978 playoff game wrapped up at 2-0 after six and left early.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 12, 2005 04:10PM

um - well cornell is a SUNY school (partly)
also - SUNY schools are named after the towns they are in?

hmmm - or were you being sarcastic and i just missed it?

Date: November 12, 2005 04:44PM

If you can't beat them on the ice, insult their pedigree. Forget that (as Al DeFlorio pointed) your campus was a cow pasture once, too. Forget that your forebears came to America because they didn't like the kind of persecution being practice, and wanted freedom to practice their own kind. Basically, their ancestors got kicked out of Europe a couple centuries before ours did. Less personable, one supposes.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 12, 2005 05:04PM

yes, because paying less for tution is just so disgraceful.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 05:12PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Anne05 Wrote: Ok, the highlight of this game (for me) besides the GWG was that a Harvard fan and his two kids (who were obnoxious the WHOLE game) got up and left with 5:47 left in the game and said to our section "Better luck next year guys." To which I replied "It ain't over yet." I was deeply satisfied to have Cornell come back and win and am cherishing the moment he finds out and has to tell his kids that Harvard LOST. Ha ha ha.

[/Q]
The twit's grandfather probably had tickets for but failed to show up for Babe Ruth's called home run ... and tells tales about how awesome it was to be there.

[/Q]
He probably figured the Sox had the 1978 playoff game wrapped up at 2-0 after six and left early.[/q]I think he just meant "Better luck next year. Maybe you can have it wrapped up by the end of the 2d period."

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 05:19PM

Ignorance is the only factor when someone associates SUNY with Cornell University. The State University of New York has nothing to do with Cornell, at all, ever.

The Morrill Act 1862
An Act donating Public Lands to the several States and Territories which may provide Colleges for the Benefit of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That there be granted to the several States, for the purposes hereinafter mentioned, an amount of public land, to be apportioned to each State a quantity equal to thirty thousand acres for each senator and representative in Congress to which the States are respectively entitled by the apportionment under the census of eighteen hundred and sixty: Provided, That no mineral lands shall be selected or purchased under the provisions of this act.

Sec. 2. And be it further enacted, That the land aforesaid, after being surveyed, shall be apportioned to the several States in sections or subdivisions of sections, not less than one quarter of a section; and whenever there are public lands in a State subject to sale at private entry at one dollar and twenty five cents per acre, the quantity to which said State shall be entitled shall be selected from such lands within the limits of such State, and the Secretary of the Interior is hereby directed to issue to each of the States in which there is not the quantity of public lands subject to sale at private entry at one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre, to which said State may be entitled under the provisions of this act, land scrip to the amount in acres for the deficiency of its distributive share: said scrip to be sold by said States and the proceeds thereof applied to the uses and purposes prescribed in this act, and for no other use or purpose whatsoever...

Sec. 4. And be it further enacted, That all moneys derived from the sale of the lands aforesaid by the States to which the lands are apportioned, and from the sale of land scrip hereinbefore provided for, shall be invested in stocks of the United States, or of the States, or some other safe stocks, yielding not less than five per centum upon the par value of the said stocks; and that the moneys so invested shall constitute a perpetual fund, the capital of which shall remain forever undiminished, (except so far as may be provided in section fifth of this act,) and the interest of which shall be inviolably appropriated, by each State which may take and claim the benefits of this act, to the endowment, support, and maintenance of at least one college where the leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies, and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and mechanic arts, in such manner as the legislatures of the State may respectively prescribe, in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life...

Sixth. No State while in a condition of rebellion or insurrection against the government of the United States shall be entitled to the benefit of this Act...

Source: U.S. Statutes at Large 12 (1862): 503.
[usinfo.state.gov]

The result was the formation of: [www.nasulgc.org] of which Cornell University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (aka MIT) are both charter members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2005 05:59PM by ben03.

Date: November 12, 2005 05:52PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Ignorance is the only factor when someone associates SUNY with Cornell University. The State University of New York has nothing to do with Cornell, at all, ever.
[/q]
Well, I like to think that, too. But the folks at SUNY think differently. From their "history" web page:

"By 1862, the Morrill Act set the stage for the four Ivy League land-grant SUNY colleges that now exist at Cornell University. The actual State University of New York system did not come together until February of 1948 when New York was the last of the then forty-eight states to establish an official state university. At this time, SUNY consisted of a consolidation of twenty-nine unaffiliated institutions with eleven of them functioning as teachers’ colleges. All of these colleges had unique histories and a common goal to serve New York State. Since then, SUNY has grown to include sixty-four academic institutions that had formerly been independent institutions or were directly founded by the State University of New York.

"SUNY is comprised of sixty-four institutions that include everything from world-renowned community colleges such as the Fashion Institute of Technology, to first-rate graduate schools that include the nation’s top veterinary school."

I think we can all guess to which vet school they lay claim. I don't believe there's any mention of SUNY on any of the degrees, however, and I don't know what if any oversight the SUNY HQ folks in Albany have on the statutory colleges at Cornell. Let's hope none.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 06:09PM

I knew I was broad brushing and there was something out there ... thanks Al:-)
FWIW, I think some form of this knowledge should be required on the application. nut

Posted by: Pace (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2005 06:40PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

The second was on the other end so I couldn't see it much, but someone on the game thread made a comment about McKee after the 3rd goal, which as completely not his fault. It was a beautiful sharp pass across the goal mouth that he had no chance on - would have been a spectacular save.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/12/05 12:15AM by DeltaOne81.[/q]

That someone was me. In my defense, I had no idea what kinda goal it was as I was only following on eLynah. Plus, come on, aren't we all a little exasperated with not having the McKee of last year?

I'd also like to note something quite funny. After my comment, someone (Trotsky I think) commented about offense from the blueline and I replied that I'd like to see that. The second I posted Krantz scored. There were a few comments posted like "there ya go, Pace". I replied with that I'd like to see another goal. As soon as I posted, I saw a post that Scott scored. And then with, like 3 mins to go, eLynah crashed on me for good. So I had to call my friends to ask if we actually won. The moral is that whining works and I should do more of it :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login